Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 12:32   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is it time to move on from brand Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post
I too faced the rain water seepage in my 2011 Jazz and the suspect was the rusted roof channel but the problem further aggravated with the rusting proceeding to the Windshield frame which ultimately led to the cracking of the Windshield.
This is horrible.

I see half a dozen complaints of water leaks in this thread itself. And have seen similar sentiments in other threads as well.

Probably needs a separate thread of it's own, as rain water seeping into the cabin is something basic and unexpected from a brand like Honda.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:33   #47
BHPian

I had posted this in another thread: Towards the end of last year I was thinking of exchanging my City. I didn't get good deals elsewhere and looked at Honda to see if they could offer better. They did, but only for a new Honda car, and nothing near what I was expecting. However, my main takeaway from the experience was that the Honda evaluator himself told me to keep my car because the 2010 car is much better than the current set of cars.
echo77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
I have to agree with these three of your comments. FE is a major let down for me. My City AT gives me about 8.8 km to a litre of petrol in Mumbai. Brio does a little better at 9.7. It is frankly ridiculous considering my Cielo (1997),which was probably 1988-89 tech, used to give me 9.5 kms.
That is surprising tbh, I own a 2013 City and the car gives me around 10kmpl give or take 1kmpl.

The car is run in Delhi, peak traffic and for short distances mostly or longer ones in traffic on 100% AC.

My friend’s City 2010 returns around 12 in Delhi, run in similar conditions as mine but mainly for 2km trips only.

Mine could probably return higher but the clutch is on its way out.
Old 13th October 2020, 12:39   #49
BHPian

Hi guys,
I guess VIVA Honda is not one of their best ASS providers. I had been getting my 2017 JAZZ CVT serviced from Arya Honda and they were always efficient and transparent. However my first experience with VIVA was pretty disappointing with Sales rep force trying to cross sell extra services etc.

Would anyone have co-ordinates of any other FNG person where I can take my Jazz for small works and may be the regular services too post 4yrs of ownership.
Shanks_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikidwhy View Post

The car is run in Delhi, peak traffic and for short distances mostly or longer ones in traffic on 100% AC.
It’s not surprising at all. The roads conditions in Mumbai make a difference of about 1 to 2 kmpl. Even with similar bumper to bumper traffic the constant slowing down for potholes makes for poor FE.

My comment about FE is a general grouse. Even my 1978 Premier Padmini used to return 13 kmpl. So, 40 years of engineering excellence (?) isn’t too impressive if FE, one of the major areas of improvements on the race tracks, hasn’t moved much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post

My only suggestion for the Brio would be to get it dried ASAP and find a covered parking till the repairs aren’t done. Don’t delay the repairs either. I learnt it the hard way that A stitch in time saves nine.
I’m facing the same problem again. This time the water is leaking in from the other side. I’ve duct taped the roof rail because FNG workers are still not back from their village. Thankfully the monsoon is over and I can take me time getting it fixed.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2020 at 19:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
MadinMumbai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:07   #51

I agree about the recent change in servicing. They are'nt being able to sell enough cars so the dealerships are trying to make money through the workshop. I have a Gen 1 Jazz and a CRV DCT. No problems from the vehicles themselves, but i have noticed a change between the old Honda (before Brio / Amaze launch) and current Honda. The vehicles were better built back then although Hyundai still beat them on equipment. But earlier i was at ease letting Honda advise me on maintenance issues but very recently this has been shaken. I actually had the guy tell me to bring in the Jazz after every 5000 kms!

I tried out the new City and feel it is a return to old form with build quality much better than the older city. For a person wanting to buy a sedan in this price range, i don't think there is any better option in the market currently. The CVT is good and i still feel drivability is better than the Verna automatic, but i prefer the manual. I think ownership wise it is still a easier to live with car than the VW or Skoda or Nissan.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:17   #52
BHPian

It is time to move away from Honda. I have until last year owned a city, Amaze, Jazz and Accord. I sold my accord as it was too expensive to maintain. I am on the verge of selling my amaze and replacing it with a Karoq and also contemplating selling my Jazz in the next couple of months.

I have had a bad water leakage problem in my Jazz and the SA just keeps on doing nonsensical things like jamming my door pad with silicone glue. I had told him that it’s most likely the beading that needs replacing but he just doesn’t want to do it. Finally I got it done from outside and my problem has stopped.

My Honda city is a ZX model 2017. From the day I have had the car the rear suspension has been making a rattling sound over bad roads but no one in Honda seem to care. They say it’s normal in new cars. I have contacted 2 service stations and not say the same.

Being such bad experiences with Honda I sure as hell am not buying a Honda in the future.
Kartman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:18   #53
BHPian

Both Toyota and Honda it seems are not interested in the Indian market. Look at how poor their engineered for India products have been.

Having been happy with a 2nd Generation City, I made the mistake of buying the first generation Amaze Diesel and it was the worst Car I've ever owned, even the 2nd Generation Maruti 800, the first modern car I've owned was a far superior product.

Sold the Amaze at a pittance and I don't think I'll ever buy a Honda product again.
driven646 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:24   #54
BHPian

The current product lineup from Honda is a proof of the kind of focus and seriousness they have towards the Indian market and customers.
The entire market is moving towards SUVs and Small/ Pseudo SUVs with cars ranging from the humble Kwid, Espresso, to the likes of Sonet, Venue, Seltos, Hector etc. While Honda is still selling the same old sedans City, Civic and Amaze. There have been hardly any new launched in the recent years. All they have is the half hearted attempt of the hatch back turned SUV the WR-V and the same old CRV which never really took off even when new.
The Koreans and Chinese have come all guns blazing and the home players like TATA, Mahindra Maruti have been quick to respond to the changing customer demands, Honda has been sleeping in deep slumber in the hangover of the success of the City and Amaze.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:29   #55
BHPian

What ticks me off about the brand Honda is its departure from what it originally stood for. The first gen Citys, Civics, CRV-s and Accords were no-nonsense fun-to-drive vehicles that had great engines, average/above average build and bulletproof reliability. Those were well engineered vehicles that were actually made to last by those who cared about driving and had some soul/character/passion to them. Value engineering was the norm for them. I consider the first variants of the arrowshot designed City to be last bastion of the the aforementioned traits. Till date, the one that we own has no creaks, rattles or mechanical problems.

Post that facelift, it seems that Honda has lost the plot. Seems that they have sat down for a drink (and possibly more) with Maruti, studied all their bad habits like cost-cutting, using sheet metal competing with a beer can for thickness, sticker jobs, flogging an engine for eternity (the 1.2 and 1.5 iVtec mills), doing incremental upgrades and calling it 'all-new'. The generation change from the earliest Citys to the dolphin and arrowshot were quite tangible and perceptible. Now, one can hardly make out (or care) the changes in generations for the City anymore. The City has gone from being a reliable economy C segmenter that had a rocking high revving V-tec engine with dull interiors that was fun to drive to being a thinly veiled cut-rate luxo barge with an inflated price tag that has a V-tec engine as a by-product of lethargy and cost cutting more than anything else.

The good old days of Honda (in India) are gone- they are a confused bunch who are hung over and have their faces in the sand. At least Honda abroad have shown that they have some memory of who they are by selling the Civic Type-R. Even though it looks hideous, it pushes the envelope for what a FWD car can do in every possible respect.

Regarding Honda's after-sales service, the lesser said, the better. I have long given up on that for both two and four wheelers. FNG-s are the way to go- both for your peace of mind and your wallet's. Competent mechanics can ensure that these run very well for a long, long, time.

@ishan12: Saw your post after I wrote down mine. Completely agree with what you said.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 13th October 2020 at 13:32.
evilmessiah is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, Honda lost the plot in India years ago. I'm surprised it took so long for the word to spread though there were thousands of City owners voicing out their disappointment on how things are headed downhill with the 'Capital H'.

Trying to chase volumes with the Brio family of vehicles was a mistake and Honda realized it too late. When they did, the damage was already done. Get this. For it's price, the Brio's interiors were just about acceptable. That someone in Honda deemed it fit to carryover the interior design and build to the Amaze and Mobilio (top variants of which cost over a million Rupees) is beyond me.

I got a taste of what's going wrong in Honda when we went car-shopping in 2015. My 8-year old, pre-owned Civic with 70,000 clocks on the odo had far better build quality, fit and finish than a spanking new City that was in the showroom. The test drive vehicle was understandably worse with a couple of pertinent rattles, in a car that had run less than 5,000 km. That was it! Though my parents and wife were so happy with the rear seat space and comfort, I couldn't muster courage to shell out more than what a Civic cost just 5 years ago for a City with inferior build quality. We landed up with a nice and solid EcoSport!

Some lessons are learnt the hard way. And so it happened when we were out to buy a 3-row MPV in 2018. Honda had the B-RV and the whole test drive episode was underwhelming to say the least. The price list handed out (with the top end costing just over 17 Lakhs on-road for a car with interiors good enough for a mid-size hatchback) chased us out of the showroom. We never looked back at Honda. Yet.

I was - and still am - a huge fan of the eighth generation Civic that graced our roads from 2006 to 2012. At one point in time, the City, Civic and Accord were so far ahead of their rivals that Honda clearly was the brand to go for the image-conscious and tech-savvy folks out there. That it took less than a decade for them to go from being in such an enviable position to the current sorry state of affairs is incredible. From their build quality to product planning, attitude of dealerships to their commitment to the Indian market, Brand Honda needs a complete overhaul.

Last edited by arvi86 : 13th October 2020 at 13:35.
arvi86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:46   #57
BHPian

I have had good experiences with Deccan Honda, Pimpri. They did try to fleece me when I got my pre-owned 3rd gen City. Imagine asking me to change the entire clutch assembly for INR 27k for a car that had 41k on the ODO and was 6 years old. But I chucked the idea despite it being my first car and me being new to driving and asked them to do a major service instead due to Car's age. Once they realized I was a no nonsense customer the SA always went above and beyond in his service.

Note: I did take a second opinion from my learned friend about the clutch and he said the car drives fine and so does the clutch. No need to replace it. The car after I sold it has done another 40k kms and is closing 90k in total without any mechanical issues .

Scenario 1:
Suggesting a major service as per Car's age. All work done properly. Got the front discs and pads changed for peace of mind during this service. Thanks to this I avoided a scare once on the highway at night. The car slowed down in no time from 90 to 30 kmph to avoid a truck changing lanes at the last moment when I was overtaking. No ABS into action due to new brakes and tyres.

Scenario 2:
Ordering the black roof strap (patti - pardon me as that was the word used) before the next service. I was asked to mention this when booking the next service to allow time for the part to arrive. The part was not available but the SA promised to call when the part arrived. SA called me as promised and got the job done in a jiffy. No charges were claimed other than the price of the part.

Also, the Airbag sensor warning was fixed in this service with me being allowed on the service floor to have a look at what is being done.

Scenario 3:
There was leakage in the spare tyre well. This was fixed by the SA in two separate visits. In the first visit, they fixed a few leakages in the rear wheel arch and asked me to observe. When, I said the issue persists they asked me to bring the car back and fixed 2-3 more which they potentially missed the first time. Again, no charges were claimed for the second visit and in both visits the fixes were shown to me.

Scenario 4:
When I bought the car it did not have the user manual. The SA searched in the Service Center stacks and got me one for the facelift version of the 3rd Gen. He said apart from minor changes to front grille and tail lights the rest of it is same and hence this should work. He couldn't find the one for my car but hey, he still got me a close enough one and that works for me.

My all 3 services for the car were always neatly explained to me without and blatant overcharge.

To end this on another high, my SA advised me against buying the new City (4th gen) and told me it is the same car and you really don't need to spend on a new one.
All the above experiences are between 2015 - 2017.

P.S.: I just checked on Google reviews for the showroom and it seems to be a mixed bag. But 3.9 stars is not bad by any means across 1300+ reviews.

Last edited by aghate : 13th October 2020 at 13:50. Reason: Additional info
aghate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Great thread, have to agree here. When I am looking to upgrade, I thought Honda and Toyota would be good options. To my surprise, neither brands are offering anything in the sub compact SUV segment (premium). The Honda has stuck to the City and Toyota doesn't want to peep beyond the Innova and Fortuner. Soon, the platforms will start looking dated, I am not sure what the business strategy here is. To be in the most happening segment is the right move for any manufacturer. The Urban Cruiser came in late to the scene and is clouded by the Brezza's share. Have to wait and see how things unfold with these two brands.
Old 13th October 2020, 14:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Honda India's strategy from post 2012 (from 4th gen city) so far has been as follows
- Do the very bare minimum and put in the least effort that's required in every
segment
- Count on the parent company"s reputation and goodwill
- Lay back and relax

I have no idea how else, products like the hilariously cheap feeling mobilio and the equally hilariously over priced accord hybrid even came on Honda's portfolio, or why they are not giving us the HRV, or the new accord or why they gave us the new civic and the CRV with L-A-M-E-S-T powertrain options possible. Couldn't even bother to plonk a 2.0 n/a with a stick in the civic. You can just feel that these guys just don't have that fire in them that Kia brings to the table.
Well, i agree to what most of the members on this forum are saying with some exceptions. I am an owner of Mobilio I-dtec and i have found it to be one of the most competent highway cruisers. Having driven the vehicle for close to 1,00,000 kilometers in last 5 years, it still performs like a dream and have noticed that it has the least amount of NVH level(as compared to Maruti/VW diesels) and very good fuel economy. I have driven a fully loaded car for 1100 kilometers in 16 hours flat and the overall fuel efficiency was 18.6 to a liter. Only change that it required over a period of time was the clutch plates at 83000 Kilometers. Suspension and suspension mount due to the fact that i had upgraded the tyre to one size bigger.

Even as on date, my parents who are senior citizens, prefer travelling 1000+ Kilometers by my Mobilio than any other car that we have at home. Definitely, after the warranty period was over, opted for getting my car serviced at GoMechanic workshops. Do not want to pay for the overrated service at their dealerships.

Coming back to the car, In 2018-19, when i was planning for another car, Jazz was on my list but eventually seeing the feature and safety features(6 airbags, ABS, ARP, TCS, AUTO headlamps, Rain sensing wipers, Music system with Sync3 & andriod auto) in Ford Freestyle Titanium+ Petrol version, i did not think twice. The service cost is bare minimum and as per the commitment on their website. Also the engine is more powerful and Fords have always been a drivers car. All these prompted me to ditch honda. The sales person was known to me and despite knowing the fact that i am a sure shot buyer, did not show any interest in selling me the vehicle. Perhaps this has got more to with arrogant Sales team that dealerships have.
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:50   #60
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

1. Small fuel tank with poor FE. I hate visiting fuel pumps too often. I have no problem with poor FE, but I need a decent range not to waste my time. Does Honda think I will get a price shock if I refill a bigger tank?

2. Small battery. The battery died on me so many times for silliest of reasons. It has no juice for a car of this size. Honda thinks I will be very happy to pay for only for a small battery when it is time to change.

3. Frequent service calls. This gets my goat like no other. They call me so often and play recorded service reminder messages.

4. Very poor weather sealing. Leave it unattended during rainy season and you will find fungus, ants, insects what not. Of course, battery goes dead as well.

Yes, the car has been reliable but also irritating and unlovable. This is even without getting into the aspects of poor build quality and mediocre high speed manners.
I completely echo your point 1 and 3. Frequent service calls really get into your nerves and nowadays I keep on telling them to push it week after week. If they have shown part of that sincerity in doing the service job neatly I would have been more happy. I have had many cases wherein they haven't given a proper vacuum cleaning of the interiors of my City. Some of the complaints given were unattended too and brought to their notice again at the time of delivery post service. Focus is only in making money. Honda is loosing their grip with no competent product in their portfolio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks