Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal

Dear MODs: I did search and couldn't find a thread for this. So I would like to make this a new thread. Please move it to any suitable thread if you think appropriate.

Though this post is mainly about the new online process flow of RC transfer, I thought some background on the sale would be apt to include here.

Finding a seller

After 3 years of trustworthy relationship I had to bid Adieu to my Etios Liva. I am upgrading my journeys to Kia Sonet.
To find a 'Real buyer' was not as easy as I thought earlier. I started the process with CARS24. They did all kind of inspection - including a test drive and paint thickness gauge to find any repainting, and posted in their own auction portal for dealers. And no surprise, prices were 1L below my expectation. I then opted for listing in their portal for general public. Then I started receiving much more closer prices to my expectation.

Meanwhile I posted in Droom (not at all received any offer), Olx (plenty of offers with 75% on low bids and time passers) and then Facebook marketplace (similar to Olx but almost 50-50%). T-BHP classifieds was surprisingly ineffective. Received only one offer.

Found a buyer after 2 months That one was surprisingly from Cardekho - I posted there just incase if anyone sees it. The buyer did a testdrive of the vehicle and was happy with the overall condition of the vehicle and agreed for the quoted price. In fact the day was auspicious for me I guess - because at a time 3 buyers came in and I was in dilemma on who should I finalise the deal with.

Official Sale process

After the test drive one of the buyers paid a token amount on the spot so that the deal is final. The other two were in a mood to bargain more and I was not I had it cleared in my sale ad that I would deliver the vehicle only with RC transfer completion, which I asserted to the buyer again. I did that in a confidence that my cousin got a hold of an RTO person who helped out when he sold his vehicle. But unfortunately (rather fortunately, because otherwise I wouldn't have known this complete process and shared here) he was not available due to this Covid restrictions and I was shocked thinking that I am going to take a tour of the RTO offices since that day. The first thing I did was to check here for any thread and found a similar thread of RC transfer in Bangalore and got an idea about the docs required so that I could inform the buyer to prepare. Thanks again to the Team BHP world.

After googling a lot I found the Vahan website process is much easier than the regular in-office, especially during this pandemic because most of the Govt offices are running with just 25-30% of staff.

The portal is quite easy and self explanatory. You can put your vehicle number and it will show the available online services.
Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal-vahan-home-page.png

From that you can select Basic services option for Transfer of Ownership
Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal-vahan-application-page.jpg

It will ask for OTP which will be send to your registered mobile number.

There are two things you need to note here.
1. If you are only applying for Transfer of Ownership, you need to select the RTO whos jurisdiction the buyer's address fall in.
2. If you have a hypothecation active then you can apply for HP removal and RC transfer simultaneously only if both you and buyer are in the same RTO jurisdiction. If RTOs are different, first apply for HP removal by selecting your RTO and then wait until you receive the new RC without a HP information on it.

Select Hypothecation removal from the Basic Services option and pay the fee (200+25 service charge for smart card in case of Tamilnadu and HP removal is free here). Take a print out of the forms (application and fee receipt) and submit it along with the docs from Financier (Get the NoC and Form 35 from Financier beforehand after paying the due amount) in the RTO office. ** I received the new RC in 8 days **

After receiving the new RC, open a new application in the Vahan portal for the transfer of ownership selecting the buyers RTO office. Pay the fee online (300+25 service charge in Tamilnadu and additional 200+25 for Smart card fee = 550/-). Note that until the HP removal application is closed by the respective RTO, a new application cannot be created against the same vehicle. Usually it will be done in 2 to 3 days and the portal will show 'Smart Card Generated' against the application status. A new application can be opened thereafter - however, the original RC need to submitted along with TO application to the buyer RTO office. So I suggest to wait until we receive the new RC and its free of mistakes. Because as per the rules we need to submit the TO application within 14 days of sale and the proof sale is this application date I believe. Any delay in receiving the RC will add up to the 14days period if we create a TO application earlier.

I had to visit my RTO a couple of times to see if the new RC printed or not. The portal was never updated if its printed or not; visiting after 7-8 days is ideal I think.

For TO application, the good thing is that Form 29 and 30 are pre-filled from the portal and we just need to download it, print it and get the sign from the buyer as well as put our signs wherever required (For any application though its the similar case). After doing that, I submitted the Printed application (Payment Receipt, Form 29 two copies signed in original, Form 30 two copies signed in original) along with the Original RC, address proof of the buyer, a self attested { aadhar copy, PAN copy, Insurance certificate and emission certificate}.

In my case the Buyer doesn't have a govt address proof therefore a domestic LPG bill and a notary authorized stamp paper to support that, were used. Might be different for other states.

First I went alone but the RTO official asked for the buyer to verify the signature and so I called the buyer to the RTO office (fortunately he was available and within 15mins reach) quickly and we submitted the forms. And that's it I checked the portal in 2 days after to find the name was changed in the vehicle particulars. He had received the RC in 10 days. It was very easy process altogether with a cost of 550/- whereas some agents asked 2500/- to do this. Everything was completed in 20 days.

This is the docs requirement mentioned in the Tamilnadu state transport authority website.
Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal-tn-sta-portal.jpg

Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal-vahan-options-list.jpg
Option 1 - You can check the status of the application.
Option 2 - you can take the print out of the submitted application anytime from here.
Option 3 - During online payment there are 75% chances that the payment gets debited from the account and its not reflected in the Vahan portal. Check the pending transaction status and you'll find it there. Click the verify payment option and you'll get the payment registered with the portal and the application will be completed then.

I hope this information is useful. Thanks to the central govt too to make this digital and thereby saving a lot of hassle in terms of time and money.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2020 at 05:25. Reason: Extra smileys deleted, spacing added for better readability
BKB999 is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 05:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Dear MODs:
Though this post is mainly about the new online process flow of RC transfer, I thought some background on the sale would be apt to include here.

I hope this information is useful. Thanks to the central govt too to make this digital and thereby saving a lot of hassle in terms of time and money.
Thanks a lot BKB999. This is a very useful information. Definitely will help many of us. By the way in which RTO was this done?
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
By the way in which RTO was this done?
You're most welcome My RTO is Meenambakkam and the buyer's is Shollinganallur.
Old 13th October 2020, 14:29   #5
MMV
BHPian

Very well written. The Vahaan portal has improved well over last few years. When I bought a car a year ago (also from Cardekho, which I feel is a very good portal with lot of genuine individual sellers), entire application was done online as explained above. But since document submission was to be done physically or by registered post, I involved an agent.

The portal hopefully will soon become 100% automated and online, so that car buyers will have a hassle free experience
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Would it work for an out of state sale? e.g my car is TN registered but I sell it to someone in KA.
Old 13th October 2020, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
For TO application, the good thing is that Form 29 and 30 are pre-filled from the portal and we just need to download it, print it and get the sign from the buyer as well as put our signs wherever required (For any application though its the similar case). After doing that, I submitted the Printed application (Payment Receipt, Form 29 two copies signed in original, Form 30 two copies signed in original) along with the Original RC, address proof of the buyer, a self attested { aadhar copy, PAN copy, Insurance certificate and emission certificate}.
This is one window which can still allow corruption, don't make sense to take print-out and stand in Q and submit it. There is no reason to be physically present as there is no requirement of test, etc if all documents are perfect.

As long as you allow RTOs to call public to their office this is just for bribe i believe, so they have kept this window open, else how long it will take to automate this process also ?
shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 15:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
This is one window which can still allow corruption, don't make sense to take print-out and stand in Q and submit it. ...
As long as you allow RTOs to call public to their office this is just for bribe i believe...
This process should be automated too, but I doubt whether there is any corruption. One needs to simply submit the forms, not ask for anything in return. This may be kept so to keep the agents still in business. If everything would be online, there would be no need for agents.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
This process should be automated too, but I doubt whether there is any corruption. One needs to simply submit the forms, not ask for anything in return. This may be kept so to keep the agents still in business. If everything would be online, there would be no need for agents.
Correct, don't the RTO guys have skills to read the application online on computer? Else they should be trained.
Old 13th October 2020, 15:14   #10
BHPian

Wanted to understand what was the deal with the buyer. You mentioned he paid a token amount after test drive to finalize the deal. Did he pay you full amount before you went for TO?
Old 13th October 2020, 17:59   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot for this useful post
Exactly one week back we had spent 1300 bucks at an agent for RC transfer of Honda Amaze that we had recently picked. I know this atleast now, it will surely be helpful.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:20   #12
BHPian

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Vahan Citizen Service Link
Old 13th October 2020, 18:56   #13
BHPian

There is already a similar thread initiated by Tud on the 18th March 2020.

Yes, this online process works as I have seen people using it. During the core lock down days, you were allowed to drop the documents mentioned below into a drop box placed at a secure(there used to be an RTO person sitting there guiding you to the drop box) location at the RTO office after completing the online process and payment.

1. Original RC
2. Valid insurance (Copy)
3. Valid pollution under control certificate (Copy)
4. Form 29 signed by the seller ( print out of the Auto generated pre-filled Form 29 and 30 from the website - 2 Copies)
5. Form 30 signed by the seller and the buyer (2 copies)
6. Buyer's proof of identity and address. I included my passport copy as valid supporting document.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nce-rto-3.html
decode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:09   #14
BHPian

My boss was looking for a used Royal Enfield bike for his daily commuting needs and through our local RE group we found one classic 350. My boss was confused regarding the ownership transfer process and he was asking me to find an agent to do this. Since, I knew about the efficiency of Vahan portal, I requested him not to engage any agent for this work.

After negotiations and arrival of a final price for the bike, we went to the Vahan portal and entered the registration number of the vehicle, selected the service of ownership transfer (no HP on the bike), filled in the details of the vehicle with the help of RC book, filled in the details and address of the proposed buyer (my boss), paid the amount and printed the Form 29 & 30 and went to the seller place. Paid the amount in cash and collected all the original documents from the customer with his sign and submitted the following documents to KA05 (Bangalore South Jayanagar RTO):

1. Signed Form 29 & 30
2. Original RC
3. Copy of insurance
4. Copy of PUC
5. Copy of buyer PAN card
6. Self addressed envelope with Rs21/- stamps on it.

We had to visit the RTO twice, as on the first occasion we have gone to the RTO after 3 pm and they informed that document submission time is till 2 PM. Hence, went for the second time at 11 AM and submitted the documents. Within the next fortnight my boss received the new RC with his name on it in the self addressed envelope submitted at the time of submission of documents at Jayanagar RTO.

I think the entire Ministry of Highways and Transportation deserves 5 star for this brilliant initiative. Last year I had obtained 2 WH license (WOG) for my wife and all by ourselves from KA51 (Elec City RTO). Though we had to spend half a day at the Huskur Driving Test location of KA51. But, without any agents or brokers, we could do it all by ourselves, gives us a different HIGH!
MDED is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Would it work for an out of state sale? e.g my car is TN registered but I sell it to someone in KA.
Well, I didn't found other state option in the drop down that I need to select the RTO where the application to be submitted. It picked up Tamilnadu RTO offices by default. Searched for any such option, couldn't find exact one. Maybe if you get a NOC from your RTO the option might show up the other state. NOC application also can be done online as you could see on the screenshot in the initial post. The below notification pops-up whenever we log into the VAHAN portal.
Online RC Transfer through the Vahan portal-vahan_other-state.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
This may be kept so to keep the agents still in business. If everything would be online, there would be no need for agents.
That's true! However, the agents will emerge as online agents, because as long as the physical submission is there, we generally won't like to run behind the govt officials multiple times. And when there are Two RTO involved, people would definitely prefer agents to save time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Wanted to understand what was the deal with the buyer. You mentioned he paid a token amount after test drive to finalize the deal. Did he pay you full amount before you went for TO?
Token amount choice is ours. I demanded full amount before TO and received it and that should be the ideal method I believe. Since I had the loan outstanding, I asked for the amount to get the bank NOC and thereafter the rest of the amount. I have handed over the vehicle soon after I got the HP removal approved at my RTO. That was a personal decision because the Buyer was genuine and I had all his documents. Had there been a doubt, vehicle should have been handed over only after submitting the TO docs at the buyer RTO. That should be the Ideal situation.

Missed information in my original post

The online payment is a non-refundable one. I lost 325/- TO fee, because I selected both TO and HP removal selecting my RTO. Since buyer belongs to other RTO jurisdiction my RTO cannot do anything on it and I had to cancel the TO application. As per the VAHAN portal team, the payment gets credited into the Govt Treasury and cannot be refunded online and one should approach the RTO office directly. And the RTO people didn't have a clue about the payment. I am sure if we spend some effort (may be more than 500/- worth petrol and your time) we can find some way to get the refund from the RTO.
I had to pacify my mind telling that I paid 325/- to learn something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
There is already a similar thread initiated by Tud on the 18th March 2020.
Thanks for bringing this to notice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks for sharing!
There is another similar thread; can you club this together please?

Last edited by BKB999 : 13th October 2020 at 19:24.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks