Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Toyota Fortuner with 500+ Nm torque coming in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
All of you please do a google search. That 2.8L engine with 500nm of Torque has a redesigned cylinder block, changes in the turbo, changes to the piston and rings as well as a changed turbo. So it is not just a remap.
Not sure but it looks like the same engine on Prado.

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/to...ta_oct2020.pdf
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Not sure but it looks like the same engine on Prado.

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/to...ta_oct2020.pdf
Exactly. Same engine. Redesigned internals for more reliability for the extra power. This engine has been doing duty in the new prado for a few months. Now has been shifted to the Fortuner and Hilux also.
Old 24th October 2020, 00:56   #33
BHPian

In my opinion,it won't add much value to the product by introducing a powerful engine.
Since the Toyota Fortuner is based on a ladder on frame chassis which is not known for its comfort and high-speed stability, the extra added power and torque figures won't make much of a difference for day to day drives.It can be great for off-roaders who will appreciate the higher torque figures but not many people will dare take their 45 lakhs car for off-roading activities.
In comparison the Ford Endeavour with its 3.2 L engine could actually be enjoyed with its good handling and good ride comfort.
So if Toyota can improve the handling and ride quality of the Fortuner then the extra added horsepower and torque might make sense otherwise it will be more of a marketing gimmick.
Neelanjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 10:52   #34
BHPian

Frankly speaking Toyota cars specifically fortuner is simply over priced already.Although increase in torque is a welcome move but slowly and surely they would follow the path like honda motors.All the models sold in India are soul less and compromised.
Rustom Mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 11:40   #35
BHPian

A 2800cc engine churning 500NM is definitely going to be more reliable due to its lower compression ratio, than any 2000cc Bi-Turbo engine. No replacement for displacement.

I guess Toyota always pushes the envelope further by bumping-up the output as well as price! From a market perspective, it would encourage home-grown companies to develop their products further into extremely capable & reliable versions. With just 1 such successful product, ANY decent car-maker that is struggling now would come out of its troubles. It could only do well to the Indian Car Scene if Tata or Mahindra had a supremely capable SUV that easily holds up very well upto 3L kms.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 24th October 2020 at 11:47.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
True, I'm sure the 2.8L engine can handle 500 NM torque, I've seen some Innova crystas 2.8L remapped with more than 400 BHP and 600 NM torque
While in Thailand Hilux 2.8 with mods at what looks like a trial or practice run. Can hear those Hoosier's squeal with all the shifts in that 400m stretch.

Quote:
D-BHPian Shankar tuned his Innova Crysta 2.8 D4D to 567 NM torque and 214 BHP.
The current tune is even more healthier. Normal mode feels like Pwr mode on steroids.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 17:08   #37
BHPian

There was a design flaw in the 2.8 liter diesel engine which had to be fixed.
Details here : https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-s...-drama-113482/
So they might have used the opportunity to improve the power also.
NICHE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 09:56   #38
BANNED

I wonder how many of those who own a fortuner have found the existing 450nm sorely inadequate. This is another bullet the Toyota is firing at its own feet in trying to fleece the existing it's dwindling loyalist further instead of making things more accessible and desirable for more. They are trying the exclusivity based skimming bet which had failed all the luxury brands earlier.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelanjan View Post
In my opinion, it won't add much value to the product by introducing a powerful engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I guess Toyota always pushes the envelope further by bumping-up the output as well as price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I wonder how many of those who own a Fortuner have found the existing 450nm sorely inadequate
I believe this "refresh" is also aimed at bringing in a much-needed revamp of the 4-yr old and not-so-pleasant-looking facia in addition to introduction of a few essentials (as per today's standards) like Android Auto and Apple Car Play support, not to mention front parking sensors, etc. That said, there is no confirmation that the Indian refresh will get the updated engine as well. Given that Toyota has already invested in getting the current engine to comply with BS6 norms, we might just have to live with it for some more time.

Requesting folks with more insights into these upcoming changes to share their inputs. I am sure quite a few prospective buyers are in a dilemma here - to buy the current one or wait for the new one!

Edit: an interesting point to note is that the 2021 Fortuner is NOT available in the M/T avatar anymore in Australia. Is it because of M/T transmission's inability to match up to the increased torque figures? If so, it's a bummer for M/T enthusiasts. One might as well get the current version in M/T, while he/she can, lest Toyota does introduce the new engine and we are left with only A/T, akin to the Endeavour.

Last edited by cool_dube : 11th November 2020 at 15:20.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Requesting folks with more insights into these upcoming changes to share their inputs. I am sure quite a few prospective buyers are in a dilemma here - to buy the current one or wait for the new one!
Yesterday I took a test drive of the current model of fortuner and the SA told me that they are only taking bookings for the facelift and it will be available in January. No information was given by totyota to dealerships on the mechanicals side, but there will be cosmetic changes similar to the Thai model. I think they are not going to launch the 500Nm model and Toyota will quietly add the facelift without the updated powertrain and increase the price by 2Lakh rupees. Wanted to book the car, but now I want to wait and see the launch.

Also, the fortuner(facelift version) is prebooked here in gurgaon till Feb 2021 and the dealership is not commiting for even a March delivery. The reason given by SA for this is some strike at Toyota's plant and high number of pre-bookings.

Hope the above adds some information to this thread

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
SA told me that they are only taking bookings for the facelift and it will be available in January.
I have been told the same by Bangalore dealers as well. They are trying to get me to book one ASAP, citing reasons like price-hike, etc. which will happen anyways Have decided to wait till the official launch and then take a call.

Quote:
I think they are not going to launch the 500Nm model and Toyota will quietly add the facelift without the updated powertrain and increase the price by 2Lakh rupees
All the dealers I have spoken to here, have told me the same - engine/transmission specifications will remain unchanged. Honestly speaking, I was quite okay with the performance of the current engine, going by my test drive experience some time back - has more than enough grunt! I do hope that the price hike is to the tune of 80-120K and not beyond.

Quote:
The reason given by SA for this is some strike at Toyota's plant and high number of pre-bookings.
That is correct. A standoff between workers and management has been going on for a few weeks now at the Bidadi plant (where Fortuner and Innova Crysta are manufactured), with production capacity being reduced to 20% of the regular. This is bound to have an impact on the overall launch/production plans of the Fortuner facelift.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th November 2020 at 14:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks