Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 10:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied

A test mule of the Mahindra Marazzo equipped with an automatic transmission has been caught testing.

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-20201030_133818mar.jpg

While the test car looks similar to the regular Marazzo, look closer and you will notice an 'AutoShift' badge in the lower left corner of the tailgate.

It has been reported that the Marazzo will be the first model in Mahindra's line-up to be offered with the new 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This engine makes 161 BHP and 280 Nm and is expected to be paired with a 6-speed manual or an Aisin-sourced 6-speed automatic transmission. Therefore, we believe this test car could have the new 1.5L turbo-petrol motor under the bonnet. However, it is difficult to confirm this from the images.

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-20201030_133818.jpg

At present, the Marazzo is available with a BS6-compliant 1.5-litre diesel engine that puts out 121 BHP @ 3,500 rpm and 300 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. This engine comes mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Thanks to Kanwar Aditya Varun Sen for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2020 at 15:14.
TusharK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied

Interesting! And a nice scoop. Thanks to KAVS for sharing it. Will be interesting to see how this one is treated if it actually hits in our local market. The very good diesel Marazzo has ended up being a bit of a dud in the market sadly. Will a petrol automatic be accepted more? I'm not too convinced to be honest. But kudos to M&M for keeping on investing in development in multiple segments & technologies.

The 1.5 diesel is a tight fit in the Marazzo's compact engine bay. (Ford plans to fit a 2.2 mill on the same platform according to news!) I'm interested in seeing how they package a petrol TGDI + AT in this car. Generally petrol engines run a lot hotter and cooling setup is much more demanding than a regular turbo-diesel.

Also - what is the heavily camouflaged sedan-like car on the RHS of the Marazzo? The Thar obviously is keeping company. But the other car? It also has TN plates. Is it a coincidence OR this car is actually running together with the Marazzo I wonder? They have taken the effort to also put-up a cover over it to hide it as much as possible. Some Ford car? I'm not able to recognize the wheel design just yet. Its a DHABA stop, so possible that multiple different vendor test mules have just coincidently stopped there for a bite.

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-marazzopetrol.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th November 2020 at 11:30.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Also - what is the heavily camouflaged sedan-like car on the RHS of the Marazzo? The Thar obviously is keeping company. But the other car? It also has TN plates. Is it a coincidence OR this car is actually running together with the Marazzo I wonder? They have taken the effort to also put-up a cover over it to hide it as much as possible. Some Ford car? I'm not able to recognize the wheel design just yet. Its a DHABA stop, so possible that multiple different vendor test mules have just coincidently stopped there for a bite.
Attachment 2076594
It’s no sedan, It’s the new XUV5OO under what seems to be a car cover .

Attaching some pics from Rushlane

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-80fbebcbe2fd41c68d0d6d78b60307a0.jpeg

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-eb7a9f0756a64f5c804fe401873543b4.jpeg
akash_v12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
what is the heavily camouflaged sedan-like car on the RHS of the Marazzo?
That seems to be the second gen XUV500. But why is it appearing so low? Is it the angle of the photo or have the dimensions reduced for the new model?
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
It’s no sedan, It’s the new XUV5OO under what seems to be a car cover
I am not too sure. The ear hatch/boot design seems different & also seems to end vertically much lower than the Marazzo. And then look at the ground clearance under the doors on that car. Its really sedan like.

Otherwise my first obvious thought was also XUV5oo. But these 2 aspects made me wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
That seems to be the second gen XUV500. But why is it appearing so low? Is it the angle of the photo or have the dimensions reduced for the new model?
Indeed!
Old 5th November 2020, 11:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome addition! This car begs for an automatic. But I don't think a petrol auto is going to do much for its sales. I hope they have a plan to add the auto for the diesel too. The diesel 1.5 is a highway mile.muncher to be driven sedately. Doesn't like to be rushed so an automatic seems natural choice anyway.

And I truly hope they fixed the ergonomics of the driver seat and that silly long travel of the clutch pedal. I have never been able to find a comfortable driving position that doesnt give me a knee ache. And upgrades to add a few missing features like keyless entry are really due.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 5th November 2020 at 11:45.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
But why is it appearing so low?
Looks to me like the windshield sticker (on the car from which the pic was taken) is making the XUV appear like a sedan/low.

Those alloy wheels are from the new XUV without a doubt.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:01   #8
BHPian

Yes it looks like the xuv 500.
Marazzo diesel with an auto will position it uniquely. You dont have any good 7 seater diesel auto less than 20 lakhs today. The only one available is current gen xuv 500 itself which has it's set of compromises when it comes to boot space and 3rd row seating space.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:21   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied

Marazzo AT is very welcome, but it is coming 2 years too late! Should have been offered at the time of launch itself. In an AT-loving market, gone are the days when you could bring just an MT to the market.

I also think this will be the Diesel AT, not petrol. The Marazzo is anyway a heavy UV and a Petrol AT with 7 onboard will guzzle like an airplane.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A test mule of the Mahindra Marazzo equipped with an automatic transmission has been caught testing.

While the test car looks similar to the regular Marazzo, look closer and you will notice an 'AutoShift' badge in the lower left corner of the tailgate.

It has been reported that the Marazzo will be the first model in Mahindra's line-up to be offered with the new 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This engine makes 161 BHP and 280 Nm and is expected to be paired with a 6-speed manual or an Aisin-sourced 6-speed automatic transmission. Therefore, we believe this test car could have the new 1.5L turbo-petrol motor under the bonnet. However, it is difficult to confirm this from the images.
With the name Autoshift, I believe this may be going to come with AMT (in diesel itself) as it is there in XUV 300. I don't think Mahindra will give a turbo petrol for this low volume product.
anumod is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:01   #11
BHPian

Most likely an AMT.

I do not think Mahindra will mate the 1.5L engine to a proper TC auto box or even a CVT. Having priced it wrong from the beginning Mahindra cannot plonk an proper automatic which will shoot the price even up. So AMT makes better sense. Probably a 50K increase in the price for AMT version of Marazzo variants.
Man, still I could not digest a mere 1.5L engine chugging a 7/8 seater - from Mahindra stable.

Anyways, this is too late. They are repeating the same mistake again and again.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:09   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I do not think Mahindra will mate the 1.5L engine to a proper TC auto box or even a CVT. Having priced it wrong from the beginning Mahindra cannot plonk an proper automatic which will shoot the price even up. So AMT makes better sense. They are repeating the same mistake again and again.
AMT! First time it's a mistake. I could understand that one when XUV 300. Second time it's not a mistake, it's intentional. 4* crash rated Marazzo with a proper automatic would have been a perfect one for someone like me who needs a 6 seater on a budget. Extremely sad if this is going to be AMT.
The Rationalist is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 18:30   #13
BHPian

Marazzo is already facing a bleak future. Bulk of sales for these 7 seaters (Inova, Ertiga, Marazzo) etc. comes from the commercial segment, which have cold shouldered the Marazzo from launch itself. Commercial segment doesn't care much about auto transmission and hence I feel that Mahindra was right in launching it in with MT.

Now, since there is no success in the commercial segment, they would be re-launching it in personal segment with an AT, but with Kia, MG and Creta, you cannot price it above 15L, and there also add quite a lot of bells and whistles.
Old 7th November 2020, 20:49   #14
BHPian

If Mahindra wants to increase sales of this superb product, it should also change front and back to more match to segment leaders like Innova and Ertiga.

Marazzo's front looks very dull and not elite while back part, specially taillights, looks like shark teeths with blood or a weapon like axe soaked into blood. This kind of design language should be avoided as it unknowingly effects buying decision heavily.

Road presence is very much important for most of buyers even before they bother to ask its name, price, features etc.
Old 14th December 2020, 02:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzala View Post
taillights, looks like shark teeths with blood or a weapon like axe soaked into blood.
Are you a fan of horror ? Looks may be subjective but your description sounds unnecessarily morbid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks