Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 21:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_arya View Post
Surprise to see Ford figures, such good products but they are unable to market the USP properly and able to pull the crowd.
Ford had reduced production due to the upcoming shutdown of their factory in the month of December as said by several BHPians who have bought Fords recently. Will definitely see better sales in Jan 2021.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:49   #17
BHPian

FCA should bring the 1.6 mjd/automatic compass and compete with seltos and creta as a premium offering.

They still have a chance if they do that.
vishnurp99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 02:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

India is slowly evolving from a price sensitive market to evaluating value on the product. Evidence is shown with the acceptance of Kia, Tata.

Tata should strike the iron when it is hot - I hope to see a good petrol ATs for Nexon, Altroz. I'm sure they can increase their volumes by at least 20%.

Is Toyota preparing for the Innova and Fotuner facelifts? Also, I hope we don't see any more failed badge engineering efforts. I'd be happy to see platform sharing like how Hyundai-Kia do it and I hope they help Maruti improve safety & build quality aspects of the car.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 07:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Not in a long time has there been such fierce competition for the 3rd, 4th & 5th spots.
Sounds like our domestic market is trying to match the current F1 season's constructors rankings

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/team.html
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 09:30   #20
BHPian

Will city, manufacturer and volume wise data be available anywhere?
Old 7th December 2020, 09:40   #21
BHPian

I seriously wish to see the top ten list dominated by Mahindras and Tatas. It is wishful thinking but not impossible. I appreciate kia for their success but seltos with 3 star rating and unstable body structure doesn't go too well with me. However the engine gearbox combination offered by them is commendable.

It seems that in present times, more than the actual product itself, it is the marketing that determines the success or otherwise of a car.
DonHyd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:36   #22
BHPian

The world is about bling these days and marketing campaigns, gizmos and the so called showroom experience where they serve cappuccino in a ceramic cup is nothing but bling.
This is same as what we see on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram ie it is bling and fake outer appearance that sells these days. I remember a line from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice ie "All that glisters is not gold".
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:00   #23
BHPian

1. After the surge in September and October (festive season), factory dispatches seems to have been throttled back. It means the market is still weak and is depending on pent-up demand.

2. Seems like advances made by Kia and Tata were at the expense of Maruti (which is a good thing for market competition). Impressive numbers for Altroz despite the lack of an automatic, turbo-petrol, weak engines and no side airbags (c'mon Tata, it will improve your safety image even more). Tata's safety campaign is working!

3. Based on the numbers of T-ROC and Karoq, a competent and rightly-priced SUV from VAG will be received well.

4. Magnite and Kiger have potential to take more sales away from Maruti.

5. Honestly, it's a writing on the wall for Maruti, unless they adapt, they will not survive. Seems like they are taking it seriously with news of a Creta-like SUV and/or a 7 seat replacement for the Grand Vitara.

6. 2.5k for Thar is impressive given its a lifestyle product, production constraints for the first month and the recession.

7. Honda needs a competent crossover to push up its sales.

8. Ford needs new products ASAP.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
The world is about bling these days and marketing campaigns, gizmos and the so called showroom experience where they serve cappuccino in a ceramic cup is nothing but bling.
In India it has always been about marketing and bling. It's not a new thing. Hyundai's fit and finish even in basic cars is so good that it makes people forget about the other weaknesses of their cars. Maruti sells huge numbers based on a perception of better fuel economy and a fuss free ownership and service experience. They have been able to market these USPs successfully.

So I do not see a Tata or a Mahindra supplanting them anytime in future. Both our homegrown brands have a lot to learn in terms of marketing and also ironing out kinks in their qc processes and supply chain - they are catching up but have a lot to learn from the Japanese and the Koreans even now. Hopefully they will learn the good stuff and not compromise on build quality to match their competition.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^ For someone buying a petrol car at a budget, most (including me) feel Honda and Suzuki provide the best engines. Better and longer lasting than even Hyundai. And one mentally associates Tata and Mahindra with diesel engines. Plus continuous niggles, they are the Royal Enfields of the car world. So it is not about bling alone.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th December 2020 at 11:25.
Gansan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
1. After the surge in September and October (festive season), factory dispatches seems to have been throttled back. It means the market is still weak and is depending on pent-up demand.
It was expected. November dispatches are always less than October dispatches. Contraction has been bigger this year compared to last two years because of the record production in October. However, November production is still higher on a year-on-year basis.

November 2020 : 286k
October 2020 : 334k

Decrease : -14%

November 2019 : 263k
October 2019 : 284k

Decrease : -7.5%

November 2018 : 263k
October 2018 : 281k

Decrease : -6.4%
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

I see problems for Honda going forward in this scenario. The halo of it being a premium Japanese brand is long gone, and it has nothing substantial by way of technology or design that is in the offing. It has ceded ground to Kia and Tata in the subcompact crossover market, the Amaze is holding on to the subcompact sedan segment but only just. In fact I think the segment itself may not hold much potential if the Magnite launch is anything to go by- if you can get a crossover for 8-9 lacs, why bother with a sub 4m sedan ?
Old 7th December 2020, 11:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ For someone buying a petrol car at a budget, most (including me) feel Honda and Suzuki provide the best engines. Better and longer lasting than even Hyundai. And one mentally associates Tata and Mahindra with diesel engines. Plus continuous niggles, they are the Royal Enfields of the car world. So it is not about bling alone.
I agree that Honda engines are much superior to competition but in the case of Suzuki the engines also pull a much lower weight so that helps in many ways. However, compared to Tata's Revotron or any of Hyundai's engines, Suzuki engines are undoubtedly much better in terms of refinement and durability so I agree with you there. Coming to the niggles, it's not as bad as it was earlier but yes there is still a lack of consistency in QC processes that needs to be addressed by both Indian manufacturers.
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:59   #29
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Automobile illiteracy happens to be a huge problem in India! It's because of automobile illiteracy that we have people disable the seat-belt warning chime, drive around with an infant on their lap or with kids standing through the sunroof etc.

It is also sheer automobile illiteracy that leads to crucial, important safety features such as side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, TPMS etc. get labelled as "bling" and "gizmos". I always have a hearty laugh whenever I come across such silly, idiotic statements from those who suffer from the incorrigible condition called automobile illiteracy.

It's indeed very sad to see the sales of some Ford products such as Figo - 353, Freestyle - 1134 and Aspire - 267.

All three products are the only ones in their respective classes to offer side & curtain airbags on the top variant. Freestyle also offers ESP + TC in addition to 6 airbags!

Yet, these superb Fords happen to be victims of the above-mentioned incorrigible condition in India. As these Fords' side & curtain airbags and ESP + TC are immediately dismissed as supposed "bling" and "gizmos" by automobile illiterates in India, their sales have been woefully low, not at all justifying their wonderful all-round nature & competence.

Ford and MG happen to be the only mainstream car manufacturers to offer side & curtain airbags as options on all their products. Jeep as well, but Jeep is basically a single product company in India. Unlike MG & Jeep, Ford's products start from the B-segment onwards. In a country where several products cannot even dream of having things like side & curtain airbags, it's an even more appreciable thing on Ford's part!

Last edited by RSR : 7th December 2020 at 16:29.
RSR is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 16:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

In a country where several products cannot even dream of having things like side & curtain airbags, it's an even more appreciable thing on Ford's part!
Yes- but some people unfortunately are also of the opinion that more airbags means increased repair cost in case of deployment. So they view it not as gizmo but as an expensive tech whose cost of replacement outweighs the life-saving potential in a typical scenario.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks