Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 02:11   #61
BHPian

Re: November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
The Marazzo's sales though are very, very saddening. <500 cars sold per month for a very competent product is heartbreaking to see.
So true. Its such a brilliant machine and does not deserve such low numbers. One can argue about the lack of drive train options but still these numbers are abysmal. I am wondering if Mahindra is prioritizing Thar production over Marazzo to meet Thar demand. I was expecting at least the cabbies to bring some reasonable numbers. I see a lot of Marazzo cabs working for companies at least here in Hyderabad.
Old 9th December 2020, 07:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
One quick glance at the FADA details and we can see that MSIL,TATA, Toyota and Ford sold more than they dispatched in the month of November.
Good to see that the PV players have adjusted their output to match the sales so dealer inventory will come down quickly.

However it will be interesting to see how the 2W sales pan out. Hero has been consistently churning high production numbers as compared to sales for last 2-3 months which has added to incremental inventory at dealer. Suzuki and others are not too far behind as well. Although the dealer inventory is down to 45 - 50 days from 60 days, lets see whether the 2W sales keeps up in December and ahead. Else we will definitely see some good discounts in Q4 for 2W.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:57   #63
BHPian

Quick question: The numbers of the Elite i20 also include the 2020 new i20?
Old 9th December 2020, 10:36   #64
BHPian

VW Vento : averages 200/month and Skoda Rapid averages 800-1000/month.

Predominantly, these two buyers comes to VW or Skoda for their AT.

In my following of both these, Both VW and Skoda dealers try to under cut the other. And which ever offers the newer offering sells. Updated Vento used to sell more than Rapid. When Rapid shape is updated, the trend is reversed.

I own a Vento AT, throughly happy with the ride and handling and the engaging drive of the DSG. Very biased towards these two brands. Though the City and Verna have had three fully changed cars, they still feel flimsy and don't feel they would last for a long period of ownership.

And FCA, they develop and manufacture very good cars. But they price themselves out of the market. Compass does 700-800 units/month. Harrier 2000-2500/month and the Hector 3000-3200/month. Very sad. I think like the 1.3MJD, FCA will soon become an engine supplier. And Seltos n Creta combo sells 20000/month between them.

FCA i know are offering 2-3L discount on the compass. Why that, instead keep the upper cap at 25L for the Compass. I am sure many Seltos and Creta buyers will consider the Compass. Only when FCA sells Volumes, their dealers can offer good service support.

In TN, FCA doesn't have one very good dealer. All pretty shady. And i have a Linea too.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
The Marazzo's sales though are very, very saddening. <500 cars sold per month for a very competent product is heartbreaking to see.
Yes, being a good product it is sadenning to see these numbers. Thar effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Innova sales are going down & down. Clearly people are rejecting overpriced Innova and moving towards another cars.
I completely agree with you that Innova is a over priced car for the product it offers. Even then it has the demand that averagely 5k cars are sold each month until coupls of months back. I feel mostly the sales come from taxi and politicians and may be it is due to corona impact, the sales got affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
So true. Its such a brilliant machine and does not deserve such low numbers. One can argue about the lack of drive train options but still these numbers are abysmal. I am wondering if Mahindra is prioritizing Thar production over Marazzo to meet Thar demand. I was expecting at least the cabbies to bring some reasonable numbers. I see a lot of Marazzo cabs working for companies at least here in Hyderabad.
I agree with your observations, there is no denying the fact that Marazzo is a very good alternative for those who cannot afford buying a over priced Innova car. I hope Mahindra is doing something to bring up the sales numbers considering the sheer amound of time and money spend in R&D on this product.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
What are the other proper automatic CSUV will you get for 11 lakh on road other than magnite? I am not considering AMT here.
Well, I think you did not get my point here. Maruti is known for VFM products and Brezza in its petrol avatar along with AT option is certainly not meeting that criteria. Just look at Ertiga Vxi AT which has a similar TQ setup and is priced at 10.48 Lakhs on road in Delhi. Heck, you even get Venue 1.0 Turbo DCT for 10.89 lakhs on road which is again a technologically superior car.

I feel Maruti could have priced AT version atleast 50K less. Their diesel Vxi AMT was below 10 lakhs and given the fact that Maruti used to price their diesel variants almost a lakh more than petrol I was expecting their petrol AT with TQ to be priced somewhat similar. So keeping all these factors in mind I do not find the petrol AT version VFM.
Old 9th December 2020, 13:38   #67
BHPian

I think all OEMs need to do soul searching and introspect as to the reason for non performance of their vehicles like Marazzo, Nexon. If a vehicle is really good and is launched at the right time (e.g.Hyundai Getz was a vehicle ahead of its time), I have noticed it does sell. We cannot crib about Maruti / Hyundai network dominance all the time. The KIAs, EcoSports, XUV 5OOs of the world have demonstrated that it is possible to get good sales in India even without being top selling Car makers of India (Average Joes no dot know KIA and Hyundai are sister brands). I will leave out the lazy makers like Toyota and VW who have no true devotion to India or want to get their hands dirty by building products ground up.
Old 9th December 2020, 15:07   #68
gus
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
...These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

I think a better metric to judge Auto companies performance would be to calculate number of cars sold per dealership. It would be a better metric to judge which brands have been performing better lately.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2020 at 18:20. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please do not quote entire long posts while responding.
Old 9th December 2020, 17:16   #69
BHPian

The Hyundai Group (Hundai+Kia) continues to remain the KING of the SUV segment

Despite an overall fall in volumes in November by 14% which hit all manufacturers other than MG which is on a roll (11% growth), Hyundai+Kia have faced the lowest fall of 3.65% in SUVs and are the ONLY ones to have grown in the 4-meter SUV category which as a category has fallen by 16.44% this month, contributed mainly due to the huge fall in the Brezza/Urban Cruiser combined sales and that of the Ecosport. Their dominance is so huge that this month they have sold almost 1 in every 2 4-meter SUVs sold. This is the HIGHEST % share the duo has demonstrated so far this year.

In the Mid Sized SUV segment, the Hyundai+Kia duo has cornered a lion's share of the market. Depending on how we categorize mid-sized SUVs, their share is almost overpowering.

The Sub 4-meter SUV segment is the fastest growing segment in the Indian car market today with a YoY CAGR of almost 47% since inception in volumes. This dominance is going to be challenged very soon by the VW T-Cross and Hyundai+Kia need to watch their back. Also the impact of the Nissan Magnite remains to be seen in the months to come

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-hyundai-sub4-meter-dominance.png

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 9th December 2020 at 17:25.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:59   #70
BHPian

- Top 5 most sold models are from Maruti

- 7 out of Top 10 most sold is Maruti

- Top 16 divided between Maruti, Hyundai/Kia

- in Top 20, Tata has 3 models! It is a good work by Tata models and happy for them.

- Mahindra Bolero, multiple decades old model is in the top 20 means, M&M is doing something really really wrong. Kia with just two proper sellers, managed to beat Mahindra in terms of total sales.

- Surprised to see Swift in the top! Such an old horse for Maruti, still selling well, even better than Baleno. Maruti is feeling the pressure for sure with Kia and Hyundai. New I20 is going to give Maruti a run for their money in the coming months for sure.

- Endeavour is close to Fortuner for the first time - Because, an update for Fortuner is imminent?

- Hyundai/Kia managed to reach around 25% market share in no time. All the motor (especially Toyota) companies should learn from Kia & Hyundai, on how to conceive, design products and market it well.

Jeep is selling in hundreds. They need to be fast in bringing new models. Otherwise, they need to follow Fiat.

Gloster sold 600 units!

Nissan, top 5 around the world is a flop in India. Just one model selling in 3 digits in India. Pity their dealers. Hope, the Magnite does offer some solace to them, footfalls and some decent numbers.

Believe me, Toyota's top selling model last month is a rebadged product!

Last edited by sgmuser : 9th December 2020 at 21:00. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

This is what needs to be kept in mind one reads FADA data. Since it does not cover all states the numbers are 85% of real retail figures.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-eo20nxnvqaepyqv.jpg

Also as Maruti's Director of Sales and Marketing points out, it does not capture temporary registration data.

Maruti's November retails were 1.67 lakh. Compare that to the total domestic passenger vehicle production of 1.35 lakh for November 2020.

This would mean that actual retail sales over the festive period has been pretty good and it is not "channel stuffing" and "inventory buildup" as many trade analysts on Twitter have been theorising.

Infact Maruti has said that discounts are going to be reduced and might even see a price rise since raw material input costs are in increasing.
Old 10th December 2020, 18:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Ford had reduced production due to the upcoming shutdown of their factory in the month of December as said by several BHPians who have bought Fords recently. Will definitely see better sales in Jan 2021.
I think they are loosing due to limited and old products. It's evident If you compare Ecosport to Sonet.
Old 10th December 2020, 19:47   #73
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post

In the Mid Sized SUV segment, the Hyundai+Kia duo has cornered a lion's share of the market. Depending on how we categorize mid-sized SUVs, their share is almost overpowering.

Thanks for the chart!

One suggestion is to list Hyundai and Kia products separately. People can add them up if they want to.

Hyundai and Kia are two different companies listed separately on the South Korean stock exchange. They are registered as different companies in India, have separate factories in India and have separate sales & support networks.

What's more, their products are also more different from each other than many here assume! Engines, gearboxes and related components may be shared, but everything else is different. Not only the top hats on the platform, but the platforms themselves have differences.

When the Vitara Brezza & Urban Cruiser (exactly the same product), merely wearing different badges are listed separately in your chart, it's not fair to list two completely different products from two completely different factories as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post

Quick question: The numbers of the Elite i20 also include the 2020 new i20?

The production of the 2nd generation i20 was stopped sometime last month, and the new 3rd generation's production started instead. So, last month's dispatch data is likely to include some numbers from both generations. This month's (December) data will be only for the 3rd generation car.

Last edited by RSR : 10th December 2020 at 19:57.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:00   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Segment wise growth in November:

- Lifestyle off-roader segment registers the highest growth.

- Compact Hatchbacks was India’s largest segment in terms of volumes and it contributes to ~23% of the cars sold in India.

- Compact SUV segment is now consistently country’s second largest segment. The launch of Kia Sonet just catapulted the segment volumes and was grew 41% YoY which was one of the highest in Nov’20.

-Led by Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Premium Hatchback segment overtook the Mid SUVs and was the third largest segment and contributed near to 14% of the passenger car sales in India for November 2020.

-Mid SUVs too grew a healthy 10% YoY and raked fourth in the table. The segment is one of the most sought after by the OEMs as it offers significant volumes and margins both. In 2021 it will be interesting to see the spread as many new entrants are expected with lots of anticipation.

-Market moves to more value oriented as the entry level segment shows a dip in sale.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1892
Size:  162.9 KB

Link
Old 16th December 2020, 14:01   #75
BHPian

It seems like the c2 sedans are heading towards imminent death. The top selling city, ciaz or the verna, none of them seem like entering in the 5000+ club.

3500+ sales of the City is perhaps due to festival season and new car enthusiasm. How long does it sustain? Well, only time will tell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks