Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 17:04   #31
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post

Yes- but some people unfortunately are also of the opinion that more airbags means increased repair cost in case of deployment. So they view it not as gizmo but as an expensive tech whose cost of replacement outweighs the life-saving potential in a typical scenario.

That's what car insurance is for, isn't it?

Whether people ignorantly regard side & curtain airbags as "bling", "gizmo" or expensive technology, it's all a part of the above-mentioned incorrigible condition that's very widespread in India, unfortunately.

Last edited by RSR : 7th December 2020 at 17:09.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 17:16   #32
BHPian

So MG Gloster has eaten Fortuner’s share and Endeavour isn’t affected much. Let’s see how the sales are in the next couple of months.

Fortuner - 656
Endeavour - 647
Gloster - 627
bronco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
So MG Gloster has eaten Fortuner’s share and Endeavour isn’t affected much. Let’s see how the sales are in the next couple of months.

Fortuner - 656
Endeavour - 647
Gloster - 627
I wouldn't read too much into the Gloster numbers as it is still early days for the product. Our own official review has clearly highlighted the powertrain flaws of Gloster so I think MG cannot keep pulling customers into its showroom based solely on features in this segment.

The Endeavour numbers are as it is and consistent compared to previous months.

The low Fortuner numbers are solely because of the strike at Toyota's factory outside Bangalore and nothing else. Agreed that the Fortuner once used to sell consistently at the 2k mark but now has settled around 1.2-1.3k. With the facelifted version around the corner I see the Fortuner bouncing back with a healthy lead over the competition.
ram87pune is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ For someone buying a petrol car at a budget, most (including me) feel Honda and Suzuki provide the best engines. Better and longer lasting than even Hyundai. And one mentally associates Tata and Mahindra with diesel engines. Plus continuous niggles, they are the Royal Enfields of the car world. So it is not about bling alone.
True. There were so many 800 CCs that tried to topple the F8 engine from suzuki. Eon,Kwid, Nano (even though cannot be compared as competitor, still with its 624cc engine, its almost near to 800cc). Just before COVID lockdown in march, I happen to drive the 4 speed 800 and it was so much fun to drive it around the city. Very simple and easy to drive.
Old 7th December 2020, 21:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Yes- but some people unfortunately are also of the opinion that more airbags means increased repair cost in case of deployment. So they view it not as gizmo but as an expensive tech whose cost of replacement outweighs the life-saving potential in a typical scenario.
There is a perception that airbags deploy at the slightest bump, and are expensive to replace so you are right that this puts many people off. Plus cars with advanced safety kits usually cost quite a bit more compared to the lower variants. Given a choice people would pay the extra money for a sunroof or an air freshener rather than an extra airbag or two. Unfortunately that's how most Indians are wired.
Old 7th December 2020, 21:52   #36
AZT
BHPian

Suzuki Market Share is at 47.4% which was closer to 51% pre Covid IIRC. Total Suzuki + Hyundai and Kia is ~ 71% which is still unhealthy. I'd like to see Toyota and Honda get in more products and Tata / Mahindra gaining.

Always good to see healthy competition which we don't have with just 2 companies dominating this much.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 22:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

All three products are the only ones in their respective classes to offer side & curtain airbags on the top variant. Freestyle also offers ESP + TC in addition to 6 airbags!
I totally agree here. I went for a test drive over the weekend for Sonet GTX+ MT(D). First thing I did was test the HAC on the ramp leading outside the basement. I asked about this feature in another thread. I asked if anyone can confirm that HAC is there in manual transmission GTX+, could not get a response. Even the SA and the driver from showroom who will move around the vehicles were not aware of it. SA was maintaining that it's only available in automatic and iMt. After I showed him, he was silent throughout the test drive.

I know that Sonet is not crash tested, but after driving the vehicle around and spending half and hour with the vehicle inspecting every nook and corner along with shutting and opening the doors multiple times, opening the bonet to see how heavy is that. I can at least tell its not a tin can for sure.

The only drawback is, we get all the safety features like 6 airbags, ESP, VSC, BA, ABS with EBD and HAC only on the top variant which ideally should be standard across all models.

If government comes with a rule making all safety feature mandatory, then not everyone will be able to afford a car in India.
Mainali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
Since the sales figure of Luxury Brands is not captured in the given data, I am happy to share registration data of Mercedez, Audi and BMW for the year 2020.

Registration Data captured from Vahan Dashboard.
What's happening with Audi? with the Q2 help Audi's numbers in upcoming months?

Also, if you notice the pie chart for body style - the sedans are going to be in single digit percentages soon. Hatchbacks will be popular choices for low budget buyers, and SUVs/C-SUVs are the most sought out for almost everyone who can afford them.
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Automobile illiteracy happens to be a huge problem in India!
The OEMs have aggravated the level of this illiteracy with their idiotic sales and after-sales staff who will peddle nonsensical arguments to get rid of their stock. If they have a trim in stock with side airbags then side airbags are useful. If the trim they have in stock doesn't have side airbags then side airbags are useless.

Arguments such as "you don't need ESP during city driving", "heavy cars are difficult to drive", " All auto transmissions are the same", "Alloy wheels break easily" etc etc mean that the common car buyer is dumbed down over the course of his car buying experiences to such an extent that these statements become gospel and are passed on to their offsprings as unchallenged doctrine. It took a few generations for car buyers in India to realize the value of radial tyres, ACs, ORVMs on both sides, rear wipers on SUVs etc. The next set of safety/convenience features will take many more generations

This reflects in the yearly/monthly sales numbers for the OEMs unfortunately.

Last edited by yd_gli : 8th December 2020 at 11:03.
yd_gli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:58   #40
BHPian

Quite pleased to see Vitara Brezza lagging behind. What is Maruti thinking by bringing in Vxi AT barebones model at close to 11 lakhs onroad.

Tata takes my admiration for their efforts and grit. Full marks to them for bringing in safe products with good designs and features. If they can sort their QC and reliability issues they can only move up the charts.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 11:39   #41

Disheartening to see the unhealthy market share of MS+Hyundai+Kia. Low numbers for VW+Skoda+Ford+Jeep who could all with a little more effort produce excellent cars for India. VW not introducing the new gen Polo to India shows their limited understanding of the Indian Car scenario. For these brands to do well, they better improve their after sales and after sales service where their reputation (esp VW+Skoda) is really bad. A bad dealer reputation pulls of buyers more than anything.
Azharumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Toyota living on Maruti's cars? Wow!! Who would have thought that.
Ertiga is selling like hot cakes and Innova sales are going down & down. Clearly people are rejecting overpriced Innova and moving towards another cars.
Maruti needs 1-2 new models to gain 50% share again. New Alto may bring volumes again.
Ford, VW, Toyota, Renault are really doing some poor show.
Nissan has come back with Magnite, let's see how market responds. I highly doubt that though. It will get very limited success or may fail also. Let's see.
Hyundai-Kia combo doing great. Almost 25% market share between them.
Tata & Mahindra doing some good numbers. Mahindra should produce & dispatch more than 5-6 K Thar every month and encash the demand. After some time people lose interest, hit the nail when it's hot.
Harrier doing some great numbers. Happy for it. Nexon also soing nice numbers. In compact SUV segment, Ecosport losing badly now against all others. Brezza also getting some warning alarms.
Old 8th December 2020, 12:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I wouldn't read too much into the Gloster numbers as it is still early days for the product. Our own official review has clearly highlighted the powertrain flaws of Gloster so I think MG cannot keep pulling customers into its showroom based solely on features in this segment.
I believe there are two sides to the powertrain. While it's not good in city, it delivers on the highway very well. People looking to buy this for highway duties, this can be the ideal car. Also these can't be just the factory dispatches for demo cars and other stuff, as that could have already been done by October after the car was launched on October 06.
Old 8th December 2020, 12:21   #44
BHPian

This month reminds me of 2020 F1 season, everyone knows who is going to be number one and two like Mercedes and RBR (Maruti and Hyundai) and the real battle is in the mid field.

Very happy for TATA though, their hardwork and new design language has paid off and Turbo Altroz is gonna help it more.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Suzuki Market Share is at 47.4% which was closer to 51% pre Covid IIRC. Total Suzuki + Hyundai and Kia is ~ 71% which is still unhealthy. I'd like to see Toyota and Honda get in more products and Tata / Mahindra gaining.

Always good to see healthy competition which we don't have with just 2 companies dominating this much.
KIA, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra have all gained and they are all dominating the car of the year nominations where Maruti is absent. Not good signs for the leader Their last hit Espresso facing rather embarrassing PR right now so they need some fresh positive launches next year or else that share is going to dip further

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks