Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 17:46   #106
BHPian

Re: As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?

Oh uh! Seems like I have to manage my accounts again and start buying these.
1. Daewoo Cielo: Already mentioned here quite alot of time, my Maternal Grandfather used to own one and oh my I always used to ask his driver to take me out for a drive because everything was so amazing.
2. Škoda Octavia Combi: Please don't lie, but haven't this car always caught your attention whenever you saw this?
3. Tata Safari 4*4: My uncle used to have it, he always used to show off what Safari is capable of off road. Remember the elephant tusks in HP Turbo advertisements? Literally was/is an Elephant on road.
4. Willys CJ-3B : NEVER growing up from this and if luck works out soon I'll have it in my garage. With this particular soft top.
Image credits: Respective owners of these beauties.
Attached Thumbnails
As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-aquickrecapofwhatfactorsledtodownfallofdaewoocielo.jpg  

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-skodaoctaviacombirs18t1156_6.jpg  

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-20170714060129_safari_dicor.jpg  

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-hqdefault.jpg  

vtecblast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 18:01   #107
BHPian

No picture would do atleast half the justice of how badass the Cielo looked on the road, approaching you. In the sea of cute looking cars (Zens, Esteems, Citys, etc..), the Cielo looked like an angry man with the raised eyebrows coming on to you (as if asking you Now tell me what!!)...

I was in my 8th standard back then and I remember having a conversation with my neighbor uncle on why he picked up Opel Astra when there is a much much better option (according to me), The Cielo. He was nice and gave me a bar of costly chocolate .

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-maxresdefault.jpg

PC: Google Search and Youtube.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 15th January 2021 at 18:13.
vijayshouree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 19:56   #108
BHPian

I had a huge crush on the Esteem. My dad had bought it then. It was a wonderful vehicle though.
The other car which I dreamt of having was a Jeep! If you have visited Coorg then most of the household vehicle there is the jeep. It was a prestigious thing to own one and considered to be a respected vehicle!
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 21:36   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Attachment 2107534
Right from my 1st year of my life, I always had a dream of owning Chevrolet Impala.

Even now, when I feel low, I will search for Impala image on net and cherish those days.
Legend has it that one miss Soppana Sundari from Tamil Nadu used to own this car. From the mid 80s till this day, people (mostly men) have gone nuts searching for miss.SS. People from TN would be familiar with this story.
Old 15th January 2021, 23:34   #110
BHPian

For me, it’s one and only Safari. 1998 was the year when I saw it first standing in front of our flat(ground floor)in Bhopal. A Sardar uncle came to the flat above ours in it. Even in late 2013 while looking to purchase my first car, the only competition which tugged my heart apart from Linea was Safari.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 23:59   #111
BHPian

My Crush..

- Tata Sierra Turbo 4x4 - I really want Tata to bring it back
- Next is an impossible Crush - Tata Safari (Body shell of an Old Safari with engine and other Mechanicals from Storm 400 4x4 and with a rear diff lock - A factory build)
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 00:34   #112
BHPian

Well don't really know when to draw the line being a kid because there are plenty of cars still out there that I still have crush on. But if by kid you mean somewhere till early twenties then these are the ones I can remember

Gypsy specially this red colour and soft top model
As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-images-3.jpeg

Then I used to drool over the Ford Icon. One of my neighbours had it and it was beautiful
As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-images-4.jpeg

Last but not the least. How can we forget the arrow
As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-images-5.jpeg

Pic: Internet

Last edited by Carpainter : 16th January 2021 at 00:35.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 01:57   #113
BHPian

I used to drool over the butch presence of the Tata Safari as a kid, always dreamt of owning one when I would grow up. Sadly by the time I became capable of owing one it had grown too old and outdated for modern standards I am not talking about the storme but the old dicor model which to me was the most good looking version of the beast
HornNotOkPlease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 03:15   #114
BHPian

A stroll down the memory lane brings back the lovely white Premier Padmini. For me that was the first car I saw and loved. It still holds a very special place in my heart.
SatyRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 07:34   #115

Maruti 1000 was surely one of thr first cars to set my heart racing. The gypsy also was right up there
Rit1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 12:00   #116
BHPian

Another day, another interesting thread!!

Here's my fairly short list.

Circa 2002/03 - Fell in love with the Daewoo Cielo. It looked so elegent, especially when compared to the Ford Ikon which were a familiar sillhouette those days, thanks to the famous K-serials. (No, not Maruti's K-series engines, ask your mums if you don't know what they were). I even got a scale model as a gift from dad, in bright red colour. Was a prized possession indeed.

Circa 2006/07 - Saw the Safari for the first time in flesh. And also got a ride in it. We were touring Nainital and our tour company had provided us a Safari. I was head over heels in love with this beasty car. Yes, the body roll induced quite a bit of motion sickness, but ofcourse I didn't know it then.

Circa 2009 - It was night time, in Kolkata. A black longinsh car suddenly overtook my yellow ambassador taxi. What I could see and vividly remember are those claw-like tail lamps. Was able to get a better look at the next signal. It was an E60 BMW 520d (ofcourse I did not know an E60 form an E90 back then!), the first bmw which had invoked emotions in me which every petrolhead knows and adores.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 13:34   #117
BHPian

Back in those days, tbh I had my eyes on many cars (likes of the Tata Estates, Maruti 1000, Safari etc) but only one car in special. It used to belong to a family friend who used a run a few shops near my grandma's place. Would see this parked right on the street every time I went to visit. It was a Hindustan Ambassador overloaded with Hellas, Wide tyres, red interiors and finished in black. It also had aftermarket alloy wheels too to accommodate the fat tyres, Gronholm's decals on the rear quarter window and a loud exhaust (Probably a muffler delete with a very interesting looking oval tip).

I just did a random google search and actually found a Youtube video on this exact car! Grateful to the author who initiated this thread on TBHP which helped back all the childhood memories with this car. This video was filmed in May 2020 and I'm happy to see this car still in tip-top shape and is now being maintained by the original owner's son. Still looks like the same car which I used to see 18 years earlier (I'm 28 now).

Sharing the YT video link and few snips from the video. Credits to the Youtuber and his channel.

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-1.png

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-2.png

As a kid, what Indian car did you have a crush on?-3.png

Last edited by LOL_FWD : 16th January 2021 at 13:37.
LOL_FWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 16:18   #118

I'm only 15 years old, so growing up in the 2010s, the Volkswagen Polo TSI for sure.
micahjoseph05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 16:54   #119
BHPian

I had 2 Crush of which 1st is almost done and second could be possible all thanks to rebirth of cars by those brands.

1) Hyundai Accent was a car I loved in college days but was phased out later, back in 2014 I bought Xcent I must say a rebirth in time for my 1st Car.

2) Tata Safari was my second crush and as we know Tata is coming up with one now but not sure I would own this one now!
firstdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 22:50   #120
BHPian

Oh that would be the Opel Astra petrol 1.6 ! My dad's car in maroon colour. It was built like a tank and the entire low slung German engineered stance was drop dead gorgeous. It had power windows, ABS , power mirrors and a power antenna which were a big thing back in the late 90s. I still remember the sound insulation on that thing could put many a car even in today's times to shame. I have still managed to keep the same even till today.
raunaqv471 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks