Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 23:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans

Ah, finally! The Schrödinger's diesel engine is going to make an appearance. Or, won't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
They just need to offer a decent AT transmission, which is long overdue on a Suzuki here in India.
Suzuki surely doesn't have a 4 speed AT (for diesels) from the 1980s & 1990s to offer Indians. I remember an interview in which one of the executives of MSIL said that 4-speed AT is enough for the petrol S-Cross as the car is an urban SUV meant to be driven in the city.

Suzuki UK offers better transmission options in the S-Cross & Vitara. Wonder why they can't bring it to their biggest & most profitable market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Any information about specs? I wish Maruti should get around 120 BHP and 250 NM torque from this engine. I have Ertiga 1.3 Diesel and it lacks power in Ghats when I have more than 5 people on board. It really struggles on steep inclines and you keep looking for that extra power you need in such cases....
I don't see a drastic change from 94 BHP & 225 Nm, the same state of tune in the BS4 avatar. Your Ertiga suffers under load due(incline+passengers) to turbo lag. The 1.5 engine didn't have an issue with lag under the BS4 avatar and I don't expect BS6 to be drastically different.

EDIT: If MSIL can reduce power & torque to squeeze 30km/l ARAI ratings for a Ciaz, they will do that.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th January 2021 at 23:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 00:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans

The leading car maker of our country wanted to make the mickey out of the buyers by ditching the diesel and making people believe that petrol vehicles is what they should buy.

Many advertisements after, they are now back with the oil-burner in its new avatar. Will be good for the fledging sales of S-Cross and beneficial for the Brezza and Ertiga as well. It’s time manufacturer’s stop taking the car buying audience for granted.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 19th January 2021 at 00:19.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 06:47   #18
BHPian

I wish to see this in urban cruiser as well with a 6 speed mt
DonHyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 07:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait for the "Memes" to start coming in, especially from tata Motors
Downright hypocrisy, the way MS had made a mockery of diesel car owners even from their own stable (including me) was totally unacceptable. Pretty much sure they tried to manipulate the market.
Now with Kia and Hyundai selling Diesel cars in big numbers, bet they were "forced" to reconsider. Let's see how the marketing team handles this, pretty sure they will face some backlash.
rakesh_r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Any information about specs? I wish Maruti should get around 120 BHP and 250 NM torque from this engine. I have Ertiga 1.3 Diesel and it lacks power in Ghats when I have more than 5 people on board. It really struggles on steep inclines and you keep looking for that extra power you need in such cases.

New Diesel will be really useful for Ertiga, Brezza, S-cross, Ciaz etc. Surely Maruti will be able to pull more sell by new engine.
That would be nice but I hardly think Maruti will ever be doing that, it taught other manufacturers cost cutting. IMO what Maruti thinks is that people want something just about adequate, like "that will do". Though they have a different philosophy when it comes to making their cars powerful, i.e., just strip the cars off sheet metal, and this trend has gone to such an extent that now the doors on their cars don't shut on a regular push. So I think it would be the same 1.5 DDiS with BS6 compliance and similar performance figures.
HEMIOrange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 09:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
I wish to see this in urban cruiser as well with a 6 speed mt
Once diesel is available on Urban Cruiser, demand for white one with bull bar and party flag holder will skyrocket.

Hope Toyota doesn't miss this engine option.
giri1.8 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:30   #22
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2021 at 08:43.
Mustang Sammy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2021, 10:51   #23

Bravo!, Now Maruti Suzuki will put the blame on customers and advertise the diesel range of products like "We listen to customers", "We bring what people need" so that they won't get into trouble with making contradictory advertises.

Last edited by navin : 19th January 2021 at 11:20. Reason: typos
Soorya Ramesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:18   #24
BHPian

If Automobile Manufacturers were politicians
Maruti would be the Chief Minister.
kamilharis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:50   #25
BHPian

I don't understand why everyone is blaming Maruti for so called MISLEADING customers. Maruti is producing cars not for charity but for making profit. When they don't have a bs6 diesel, they will naturally try to attract their diesel customer base towards their petrol cars. And customers aren't gullible enough to buy petrol cars just because Maruti has told them so. They will make their own calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Once diesel is available on Urban Cruiser, demand for white one with bull bar and party flag holder will skyrocket.

Hope Toyota doesn't miss this engine option.
Will be interesting to see the fierce battle between brezza and UC on one side and Venue and Sonet on the other.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th January 2021 at 07:29. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think our main focus should be on the type of implementations on the engine to make it BS6 compliant. Any idea regarding this? DPF, Adblue etc.

Prolonged focus on how Maruti ridiculed diesel engines will dilute useful information.

I still feel that Maruti is bringing this engine back since they have made huge investments already on its development plus many people still prefer to get bitten once (pay premium for diesel car) rather than getting pinched (at the fuel station). Maruti cars offer decent running cost with petrol engines and those who run primarily in the city need not worry about DPF clogging or check engine light.
PaddleShifter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 12:02   #27
BANNED

This is a grotesquely round turn by MS after pratling against diesels.

This period in which they fumbled around to put together a diesel engine had allowed them to skim by make their petrol cars pricey. Now, they will start skimming further by gobbling up those who are raring to buy an impressive piece of machinery from MS which is capable of running on roads! They do that by paying a huge premium with a promise of moderately high resale years down the linr. They are put through all this while being oblivious to their maintenance costs while considering them to be the lowest.

I am amazed at the manner in which the populace gets herded by the magic of Maruti especially with the margin they have been commanding. They make it so effortless to an extent that they will be leaving the usual election crowd-pleasing folks jealous.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 19th January 2021 at 12:12.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:12   #28
BANNED

Gentlemen, I don't think the marketing part shall be our concern, with the way Parag's Ertiga is munching miles, Maruti can simply come out and say "buy diesel and drive 3 lac kms"

With the diesel, they can be even more awesome in advertising, imagine them telling you "If you are going to drive less than 2.65 lac kms, get petrol, and if more, we have a diesel too". By the way, that 2.65 lac kms figure is for NA petrols, what about turbo petrols with higher cost and lesser FE?

Anyone who lives in a hilly area, or anyone who is living with these anemic 1.2l petrol motors in 1000 kilo weighing hatches, or those 1.0 turbo petrol motors which require consistent heavy foot in the hills (and hence, offer very poor FE in hills), they will any day come up and gobble this 1.5l diesel. I have extensively driven the Ciaz 1.5l diesel, and I must say that what a gem of an engine it is, very well controlled NVH and the power delivery, that can put even a 2.5l NA petrol motor to shame in terms of linear nature and predictability.

IMO, a very welcome move, just raise the tune of the motor a bit and it will complete the cars like XL6, S-Cross and Brezza, which will again come and show Hyundai and Kia that who the real king is. Instead of outright performance, the driveability has always been the forte of diesels, especially the bigger ones. And with the new 1.5 CRDi of Hyundai, which is nowhere close to the older 1.6 CRDi in terms of performance, and power delivery. Other than Hyundai, only other diesels being Ford and Tata, Maruti can't find a more opportune time IMO.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 12:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I for one look forward to the 1.5 diesel on maruti cars.

While the company gives 2 craps about safety, their reliability and A.S.S are terrific.

I have been a Maruti diesel user for 10 years and 2.4 lakh km now. While it was the super trustworthy Fiat's 1.3 DDIS, I enjoyed their own 1.5 diesel too. The engine is unbelievably refined (compared to 1.3 MJD) and the car was fast!

If Maruti comes back with the same 1.5 diesel, I wouldn't mind buying another Maruti this time around. Just chuck that 6 speed MT away and give us the older super-smooth 5 speed MT.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 12:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I for one look forward to the 1.5 diesel on maruti cars.

I have been a Maruti diesel user for 10 years and 2.4 lakh km now. While it was the super trustworthy Fiat's 1.3 DDIS, I enjoyed their own 1.5 diesel too. The engine is unbelievably refined (compared to 1.3 MJD) and the car was fast!

If Maruti comes back with the same 1.5 diesel, I wouldn't mind buying another Maruti this time around. Just chuck that 6 speed MT away and give us the older super-smooth 5 speed MT.
I, for one agree to this - the 1.5L Diesel is unbelievably refined. There are absolutely no vibrations or diesel clatter. The engine is also super responsive (though Hyundai 1.6L Diesel retains the gold standard - that engine was scary responsive in first and second gears). Maruti's 1.5L diesel picks up speeds pretty smooth, and power delivery is almost linear. The fuel efficiency is approx 18KMPL as shown in MID.

My impressions are based on using a Ciaz rented from Revv for past 1 month with 1.5L Diesel.

Currently, I'm in market to purchase the car, and I'm torn between the choices that I have. Had Maruti been selling 1.5L diesel in its current line up, the choice would have been a no brainer, and I'd have picked up Ciaz 1.5L Diesel in alpha variant. Plus points being - smooth, refined and powerful engine, silent cabin, excellent ride quality, and overall value for money.
LordSharan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks