Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 15:06   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans

Much deserved engine to return back in BS6 form.

Still I do not understand how Maruti manages to have same sales numbers even though with out diesel.

If only petrol could get them 50% sales, could we assume they could cross 60% with diesel in the kitty?

Surely some manufacturers need to worry if they could not match the service capability of Maruti
Old 19th January 2021, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
re: Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans

IMO, this diesel engine will never be launched in compact sub 4m cars(except Brezza) like swift, Wagon-R, Ignis, Baleno or Dzire etc. I would be surprised if they ever did. These are selling at almost the same numbers as they did in BS4(i.e. before BS6) with just a petrol engine. For what its worth, Diesel engine in small cars in BS6 indeed does not make overall economic sense unless used as taxis.

This diesel may only be added to heavier/larger vehicles like Brezza, S-cross, Ciaz, Ertiga/XL6, Eeco and the upcoming Creta-fighter.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 16:09   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
For what its worth, Diesel engine in small cars in BS6 indeed does not make overall economic sense unless used as taxis.

This diesel may only be added to heavier/larger vehicles like Brezza, S-cross, Ciaz, Ertiga/XL6, Eeco and the upcoming Creta-fighter.
There may be a chance that Maruti comes up with a 'downsized' version of this 1.5L BS6 engine for their smaller hatchbacks/sedans.

This move could boost their commercial-segment sales also like Celerio or Dzire that are used as taxi's. Due to lack of diesel power plant, customers are looking elsewhere.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th January 2021 at 16:10.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:08   #34
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2021 at 08:45.
SatyRoy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2021, 00:03   #35
BHPian

All Maruti needs is a good 4 cylinder diesel engine with the option of 6 speed Manual Transmission or 6 speed TC gearbox or maybe a DCT for higher variants. This would give direct competition to Venue, Sonet and Seltos counterparts.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 02:00   #36
BHPian

I wish they add a diesel automatic to their line up. Agreed it will be pricey, but they need to replace their antique 4-speed unit at some point.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2021 at 04:59. Reason: Language
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2021, 12:19   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatyRoy View Post
Any updates which cars from the MS stable might get this engine option?

Here are its speculated diesel plans:

Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans-1.png
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There may be a chance that Maruti comes up with a 'downsized' version of this 1.5L BS6 engine for their smaller hatchbacks/sedans.
Call it wishful thinking, but I really wish smaller cars get the 1.5 FGT diesel making 95 bhp while the larger cars get the same 1.5 with the VGT making 110-115 bhp.

110+ bhp on a Ciaz/Brezza will be one really fast car!

Knowing Maruti, they may never want to lose the bragging rights of their claimed ARAI rating.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 03:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here are its speculated diesel plans:

Attachment 2110980
I do hope that we don't need to wait for a diesel engine in the Brezza until it's new avatar in 2022 arrives.

Like others have mentioned, it would be a no-brainer choosing the Brezza diesel.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:49   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While other BHPians (rightly) point out Maruti's hypocrisy, I for one am very pleased to read this news. Maruti's 1.5L diesel is among the best there is in the segment, with excellent refinement, smoothness, driveability & fuel economy. Getting the engine back will further boost sales of relevant models like the Ciaz, Ertiga, Vitara Brezza and gang. The market might have moved to petrols, yet diesel still accounts for sales volumes that simply cannot be ignored.

I also agree with Anurag that there is a fair chance of this engine being shoehorned into the Dzire / Swift engine bay.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Any information about specs? I wish Maruti should get around 120 BHP and 250 NM torque from this engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
In all probability, this is just a BS-VI version of the 1498cc DDiS 225/E15A Diesel engine launched by Maruti in 2019 which developed 94 BHP and 225Nm torque.
The 1.5 DDiS when launched in the Ertiga and Ciaz was always marketed as a BS6 Ready engine. The fact that the engineers couldn't convert it from BS6 Ready to BS6 Compliant is the reason why Maruti had to resort to the Petrol vs Diesel Calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Suzuki surely doesn't have a 4 speed AT (for diesels) from the 1980s & 1990s to offer Indians. I remember an interview in which one of the executives of MSIL said that 4-speed AT is enough for the petrol S-Cross as the car is an urban SUV meant to be driven in the city.
Actually all the Japanese manufacturers give us outdated AT's. At least Maruti has an ancient Torque Convertor which is much better than the Pathetic CVT on some models of Maruti and all automatic models of Honda and Toyota.

Quote:
Suzuki UK offers better transmission options in the S-Cross & Vitara. Wonder why they can't bring it to their biggest & most profitable market.
Not only UK but the rest of the world gets better transmission and engine options. The Baleno and Swift get the 1.4 L NA engine or the 1.0 L Boosterjet engine as options. The Boosterjet incidentally is another engine that the smart engineers could not upgrade to BS6.

Quote:
I don't see a drastic change from 94 BHP & 225 Nm, the same state of tune in the BS4 avatar. Your Ertiga suffers under load due(incline+passengers) to turbo lag. The 1.5 engine didn't have an issue with lag under the BS4 avatar and I don't expect BS6 to be drastically different.
+1 to that. However its nothing that a Remap can't cure. Not sure of any of the Tuning Firms have come up with a map for this engine (when it was available in BS4 guise).

I'm eagerly waiting for this engine. It could potentially do duty in:
- Ciaz
- Ertiga
- XL6
- S-Cross
- Brezza
- Baleno
- Swift
- Ignis

If you look at the 2nd hand market these days you hardly see any Swift or Baleno DDiS models for sale. Why? Because the people who bought these didn't have any option to replace these cars with. They are the ones who will be queuing up outside the Arena / Nexa showrooms to pick up the above list of cars when launched.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Maruti new teaser with tagline - We are going to tell you everything with connecting dots poster. Is it the launch of BS6 diesel engine?

Maruti's BS6 1.5L diesel engine is almost ready | EDIT: Company drops diesel plans-20210204_155657.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti new teaser with tagline - We are going to tell you everything with connecting dots poster. Is it the launch of BS6 diesel engine?
Tell everything?

Already MSIL have spoken a lot

1. Safety isn't important for Indians

2. Diesel car buyers are fools

What else to tell Maruti?

Petrol car buyers are fools now, now that you have your diesel engine back?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Can't wait for the "Memes" to start coming in, especially from tata Motors
Downright hypocrisy, the way MS had made a mockery of diesel car owners even from their own stable (including me) was totally unacceptable. Pretty much sure they tried to manipulate the market.
Now with Kia and Hyundai selling Diesel cars in big numbers, bet they were "forced" to reconsider. Let's see how the marketing team handles this, pretty sure they will face some backlash.
I dont think anything like that will happen. The day the car is launched we are bound to see people make a beeline for the Maruti showrooms. At the end of the day majority Indians want VFM in the manner that Maruti is able to deliver.
Good Price , Good average , good service back up and easy availability of spares
abhijit 2284 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 21:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
As per my interpretation, this may be their launch of "connected" car features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks