Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 00:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh

I'm guessing that the fears of DCTs failures with Hyundai/Kia & MG models prompted MG to get the CVT?

Where's the diesel AT? Tata has smartly sourced a Hyundai AT for the Harrier & Safari leaving MG behind.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm guessing that the fears of DCTs failures with Hyundai/Kia & MG models prompted MG to get the CVT?
Frankly, based on my test drive, the Hector DCT was decidedly mediocre - just did not deliver power from the engine. Unless it is an engine problem, don’t think the CVT will be much worse. Makes sense to go for a simpler system when your selling point is not the power delivery that DCT gives. The Seltos was eons ahead of the Hector - in fact even the Seltos 1.5 CVT was better than the Hector
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:14   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Frankly, based on my test drive, the Hector DCT was decidedly mediocre - just did not deliver power from the engine. Unless it is an engine problem,
Probably why we never got to test these up the hills to Ooty during the media drive. The petrol one was "meeeeh" performance wise when we were trying out on the downward leg.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
MG says that the 2 Pulleys and belt systems makes the shifts smoother.
Poor marketing. Isn't a CVT always have 2 pulleys and a belt? So, what is there to brag?
WhiteKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 13:35   #20

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2021 at 06:27. Reason: '
Edaks is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th February 2021, 17:41   #21
BHPian

So between the two, what would/should one pick? I know a typical DCT is for performance but clearly the Hector isn’t even built for that so it’s somewhat moot. Will the CVT be worse or comparable? How about on inclines? We are about to pull the trigger on the top end automatic but just saw this CVT announcement so wondering if there’s an advantage in picking it over the DCT.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 19:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
So between the two, what would/should one pick? I know a typical DCT is for performance but clearly the Hector isn’t even built for that so it’s somewhat moot. Will the CVT be worse or comparable? How about on inclines? We are about to pull the trigger on the top end automatic but just saw this CVT announcement so wondering if there’s an advantage in picking it over the DCT.
Test drove the CVT for 30 odd kms. I already have the DCT and was testing it with a friend. CVT imho was better in b2b but dct is superb on highways, absolutely seamless.

My friend, like me, got it as a highway muncher so advised him for DCT. I have taken mine to Shimla and Mussorie, easy inclines to get there and tough ones while roaming around. I am an average driver who loves to be on the road, sometimes going crazy but mostly relaxed with family. Never faced a problem on any inclines tbh. Yes you can't go running circles on ghats but I am over that since many years.

Family and kids feel good with the space, and drive is super comfortable. DCG is wet clutch and not a single instance of overheating in the last 15 months.

All I would say is don't expect an all-round average of 10kmph and you would be happy with the purchase.
Blackjack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 21:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
All I would say is don't expect an all-round average of 10kmph and you would be happy with the purchase.
Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Certainly not going to try throwing it around corners - not our style at all. As long as it makes it’s way up decently in a straight line, I’m happy. Loved the quiet and refinement of the engine on our test drive and seems to fit our bill perfectly. Mileage isn’t too much of a concern considering we don’t do more than 10-15,000 kms a year.
Old 13th February 2021, 21:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Certainly not going to try throwing it around corners - not our style at all. As long as it makes it’s way up decently in a straight line, I’m happy. Loved the quiet and refinement of the engine on our test drive and seems to fit our bill perfectly. Mileage isn’t too much of a concern considering we don’t do more than 10-15,000 kms a year.
Wait for Citroen C5 diesel AT , which is much more spacious,premium,solid, fast & efficient than MG, even though pricier there is a catch !

With 10-15K km per year , fuel cost savings on diesel would help to switch to a segment higher without even spending a penny as fuel costs will balance the EMI difference.
Old 13th February 2021, 22:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
CVT is priced at par with the DCT variants. MG is definitely charging a premium, CVT should have been priced at least 50K less.

I really doubt that at this price point it's going to bring additional sales. Diesel Auto is what MG should focus on.
Completely agree here. DCT is definitely expensive compared to CVT so keeping the price range at par with it makes me feel that they'll surely try to bring in more customers to CVT, considering DCT realistically only gives you around 10 kmpl mileage and CVT can (potentially) get more. I think reducing the price would have made people think CVT is inferior to DCT (debatable) and hence people might have only gone to the latter version.

When I was in the showroom to inquire on hector, (and was seriously thinking of purchasing) they never said anything regarding this launch even when I asked if there are any facelifts or new models coming. Hence I believe that they may eventually stop selling the DCT and are now looking to clear their current inventory.
Old 15th February 2021, 19:16   #26
BHPian

Re: The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh

MG has mastered the art of making incremental updates throughout the lifecycle and properly marketing each of them.

Ford does the exact opposite with their tiny line-up. They make feature decrements throughout the lifecycle and make sure never to communicate the same to customers.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:47   #27
BHPian

Anyone has first-hand experience of CVT test drive? I am about pull plug on DCT but don't want to do it unless CVT TD is done. MG Bengaluru showroom still does not have CVT variant available for TD. Any leads would be really helpful
Old 19th February 2021, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector CVT review

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:40   #29
BHPian

Took the test drive of CVT sharp. Very impressed with the drive compared DCT. I had very little hope for CVT to be better than DCT, but oh boy! what a surprise it was Gears were butter smooth and there was a good bit of punch in low speed as well mid-range acceleration. Although my TD was little short, approx 10 Km, I could stretch the car on Hosur highway beyond Electronic city. Overtaking trucks and cars was enjoyable, far cry from DCT experience. I've taken at least 5-6 TDs for DCT, always feeling something missing with every TD. But CVT was a pleasant surprise. The RPM never went over 4K, even under very hard acceleration. Both ECO and Std D mode are very well designed. The S mode really made the difference in pickup (unlike DCT where RPM was all over place with jerky pickup) For the first time, I could feel 143BHP under the skin
I will strongly encourage folks, who are waiting for DCT, to check CVT version before finalizing the car. I am sure most of us will be pleasantly surprised. I, for one, switched from DCT booking to CVT, taking delivery next week.
TheHorse is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 21:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I got a ride on the Hector Petrol today.

Let me start with the interiors & dash. To be honest, interiors are better than competition, Tata & Korean twins all considered. Current XUV500 is no match to these. However, I feel the Harrier had better (hugging) seats. Again the dash trumps competition from drivers perspective, and even I (as passenger) felt Hector is feature rich up front which appears premium too. Every thing feels premium & a step ahead in Hector.

It's at par with Tata in rear seat to me... Definitely superior than Seltos/ Creta. The ride too was exemplary as advertised, again full marks here, with only a bit of body roll.

The Petrol was sad (few degrees better than disappointing), & the DCT masked the limitations well.

Overall it deserves the numbers it's generating, including much hyped 3-star much smaller faux-SUVs. Only Harrier comes nearer, but loses out on the features I guess.

Also, I find difficult to convince myself to go for Jeep Compass over Hector/ Harrier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks