Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 09:39   #31
BHPian

Re: The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Took the test drive of CVT sharp. I, for one, switched from DCT booking to CVT, taking delivery next week.
Dude where in Bangalore did you do the TD? Has the CVT TD vehicle come? Have booked a DCT due in a week but wouldn’t mind checking out the CVT if it’s that’s good. Can you share a contact if possible? Thanks
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 09:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Dude where in Bangalore did you do the TD? Can you share a contact if possible? Thanks
They have one Hector plus CVT available (not yet registered) in JP Nagar and electronic city showrooms. Contact electronic city showroom. They are only giving showroom TDs (meaning you will have to go there)
Old 28th February 2021, 14:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Took the test drive of CVT sharp. Very impressed with the drive compared DCT. I had very little hope for CVT to be better than DCT, but oh boy! what a surprise it was Gears were butter smooth and there was a good bit of punch in low speed as well mid-range acceleration. Although my TD was little short, approx 10 Km, I could stretch the car on Hosur highway beyond Electronic city. Overtaking trucks and cars was enjoyable, far cry from DCT experience. I've taken at least 5-6 TDs for DCT, always feeling something missing with every TD. But CVT was a pleasant surprise. The RPM never went over 4K, even under very hard acceleration. Both ECO and Std D mode are very well designed. The S mode really made the difference in pickup (unlike DCT where RPM was all over place with jerky pickup) For the first time, I could feel 143BHP under the skin
I will strongly encourage folks, who are waiting for DCT, to check CVT version before finalizing the car. I am sure most of us will be pleasantly surprised. I, for one, switched from DCT booking to CVT, taking delivery next week.
I knew it would be good. I have traditionally been torque converter fan but of late I am hooked onto CVTs. Having driven some good CVTs, the smoothness of stepless rise of speed has me smitten. It's always liquid-coupling ATs for me, i.e. TC and CVT. I keep my distance form Clutch-based ATs such as AMTs and even DCTs which are jerky in city traffic. For low to mid level performance, CVTs are fantastic. This is the zone most inner-city drives see a car in.

MG Hector CVT is a bit of a stretch for me. Looked at all CVTs from Baleno to Magnite to City to Creta for my April/May purchase. Waiting for MG ZS petrol. If they bring in a CVT, I might wanna check that out.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 15:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I Waiting for MG ZS petrol. If they bring in a CVT, I might wanna check that out.
It'll get a 6 Speed Torque Converter with 1.3 Turbo Petrol Engine. That should fit in nicely for you. That car is worth the wait IMO since it is much safer than Creta & Seltos.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 01:40   #35
BHPian

MG HECTOR woes continues , a fire incident by a brand new CVT owner , it seems like 1.5L petrol engine is the culprit and not trannies be it the DCT or CVT !
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh-1614542944867.jpg  

The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh-1614542958498.jpg  

The MG Hector CVT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 16.52 lakh-1614543023409.jpg  

TorqueIndia is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
MG HECTOR woes continues , a fire incident by a brand new CVT owner , it seems like 1.5L petrol engine is the culprit and not trannies be it the DCT or CVT !
OMG, this is very serious. This is not isolated event and has happened with some Hector owners previously as well.

I'm wondering how come people are ignoring these serious quality lapses and continuing to buy this car.

Last edited by rocketfinger : 1st March 2021 at 09:07.
rocketfinger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am highly doubtful that MG isn't aware of the issue and resolution. They should issue a recall and fix the issue without bothering about bad optics. The news of MG cars catching fire will spread like wildfire (pun intended) and no amount of PR machinery can save them.

If they aren't aware of the reason behind the fires, they need to start looking into it with all seriousness.

At the end of the day, the way MG handles it with their customers is going to decide their fate in India. They have earned a bad name of bullying the customers who raise concerns about them. So they should delicately handle the issue and inspire confidence to all the customers who plonked 20+L on their cars.

On a side note, excellent presence of mind by the owner to take a snapshot of the error message before running out. I hope it was not risky. But it will provide him proof that the issue is with engine.
k10_nag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 15:38   #38

Quote:
What is the action taken by MG in this regard?. It looks scary.
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:52   #39
BHPian

I just booked a Hector sharp cvt, awaiting delivery next week. From all the cars I TD, this fitted my bill the best. Features, comfort and looks. Yes the engine and gearbox is no match to my previously owned Octavia, but then again this was in my budget completely.
derek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 09:45   #40
BHPian

Well,I took delivery of my CVT sharp glaze red yesterday.

1. The NVH levels are fantastic. Nice quiet snug cabin with ample of space for the rear passengers.

2. The CVT is butter smooth. Almost like a DSG with one difference. In a kick down, the DSG will race forward aggressively. On this MG CVT, it’s much more docile and a linear power delivery.

3. Car is very stable in the 70 odd kms I drove yesterday. Of course it’s not for the enthusiastic driver. It’s a lovely family car for us, the wife and the elderly. No scary power delivery makes it easy and comfortable to drive around.

4. The ugly ambient mood lighting. Is there any damn way to dim it?

5. Can I fill the tires with nitrogen? In case of an emergency or accidentally service guys fill regular air, will that be a problem?

6. Voice commands are a big favourite with the kids. They love it.

7. Boot space is super for long trips. Can flatten the seats and put a bed inside for the kids to sleep lol

8. Tire inflator. This car doesn’t have a cigarette port. Are there any inflators that make one with a usb?

9. TPMS. Deflated the tires a little bit however the tpms didn’t show and reduction? Is it a time based sensor?

Would appear some help and input on the points above. Thank you all.
derek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 09:58   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Would appear some help and input on the points above. Thank you all.
8 and 9.
Outlet should be there, inside the central armrest.
Tpms cycles every one or two minutes I think.
Congratulations.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 11:16   #42
BHPian

Thank you so much. I'll check like you said for the lighter port. Regarding the tpms, I drove the car maybe 100-200 m to see if it resets or activates. Maybe it takes a little longer. Thanks again. Will check for the same and revert!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th April 2021 at 19:36. Reason: u > you. Please refrain from using sms lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2021, 19:48   #43
BHPian

Well, for those interested yes, I found the cigarette port inside the center arm rest. What a stupid place to hide one! Regarding the tpms, it takes a few minutes of driving and then it shows up correctly and updated.

Took the car for a spin to Pondicherry. The NVH again was just brilliant. The rear space was excellent and made the drive even more comfortable for the kids and the puppy. Constant speed of 80kmph was just effortless. The rpm just ticks over lazily. To overtake however was not so easy and requires just a little more planning. Nothing extra. Just a little bit more that’s all.

Overall the car is a beauty and there is just nothing in this price range to compare or match! Period. I’m happy I made this choice and didn’t spend 30 lacs in the compass. Just not worth it IMHO.
derek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 20:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

5. Can I fill the tires with nitrogen? In case of an emergency or accidentally service guys fill regular air, will that be a problem?
Congratulations for the Hector derek! A sensible buy indeed. Happy miles.
For point 5, you can definitely top up air if nitrogen is inside. However, vice versa shouldn’t be done.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:50   #45
BHPian

Hello guys my first service is coming up. Any idea what they do in the first service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks