Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Jeep Compass today?
Yes 224 63.82%
No 127 36.18%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 21:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass

Voter No

I love Jeep Compass in the pre-owned market and was behind one coupleof months back as the deals in Chennai were irresistible. 2017 -2018 Limited variants with less than 25000kms for 12-14lcs was the norm.

Lack of more than one service center in a metro like Chennai was a turn off. I will be at mercy of that Garage in case something goes wrong. Parts availability and more time in the garage in case of any major repairs were other negatives perceived.
Turbo_head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted No !

Maybe a year back, it would have been a yes, but sadly the compass does not excite me anymore. To be honest it is still the best in its class, but I simply fell out of love with this vehicle. And the main factor is the price. I just don't feel it is worth it at that price even the used ones.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:18   #18
BHPian

Voted Yes, because I bought a used Compass on Jan 1st and loving it to the core. I was lucky to find a hardly used Compass and was able to knock off 8 lakhs from the OTR price and it is just 1.5 years used with 12k on odo. This is nothing for a Fiat engine.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review)

I am aware of high maintenance cost of Compass, the spares are ridiculously priced. However, thanks to WFH I hardly drove 700 kms from it's purchase. I have not been using any vehicle from last 1 year and honestly saving quite a lot of money, which I invested on extended warranty and zero dep insurance. I have no intention to return to office anytime soon, maybe after 6-8 months if situation changes and we report zero cases in my state.

I agree the new Compass will feel overpriced when you compare it Korean sisters. However, compare the base variant of Compass with Tucson/CRV/T-Roc and suddenly it is the most VFM offering. We just have to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.
ramnaresh_2000 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its a Yes for me. The Jeep Comapss has always been a very desirable car for me. But in my opinion the price of a new one is on a much higher side considering there are many more SUVs in the market now which are much lower cost to own and offer so much more in many aspects (except driving pleasure).

A well maintained and run, pre-owned Compass makes a much more sensible buy for me. Though I would still be a little skeptical on the long term ownership service / spares cost.
sridhar24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 14:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
.......I was lucky to find a hardly used Compass and was able to knock off 8 lakhs from the OTR price and it is just 1.5 years used with 12k on odo. This is nothing for a Fiat engine.

[url="https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/231157-red-phoenix-my-used-jeep-compass-limited-d-mt-ownership-review.html"]
I always liked the Compass, but your thread made me fall in love with it. That thread itself would be a good marketing tool for the Compass. You've maintained it quite tastefully too. Just what I would do myself.

Would buy either the 4X2 or 4X4 diesel manual under 2 conditions:
1) If I do not have a car at the moment
2) If I'm having a quite a bit of money and can afford to park that in a car (and its maintenance) that would be my only vehicle for a decade or so.

Since both of the above criteria do not apply to me and since my head is in the driving seat at the moment, I would have to say no. (Would maybe say yes when ramnaresh decides to part with his car ).

For anyone else looking for a nice well built car, this one's a fine choice if they are okay with the comparatively expensive service and spares. Voting yes in that regard.

In all probability, I would keep my existing car and maybe board the EV train when my wallet, infrastructure and manufacturers all decide to align together with the stars at that time.

Last edited by evilmessiah : 19th February 2021 at 15:16.
evilmessiah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Well...since I bought one used I might be biased but I believe its worth it. We could have bought a brand new mid variant Kia or Creta but just like my dad said when we got inside a new Kia Seltos at the showroom, he was least bothered and insisted going for the Jeep Compass cause it's just better (he's probably more biased than me as he spent more than half his life in the Middle East and for such old school guys, Koreans can never match up to a Jeep brand...each to his own I guess). But no regrets buying it, it still feels premium and I believe would age pretty well unlike other similar priced new cars. So a very biased Yes from me.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted No - though the diesel MT is a fun drive, the design just didn't grow on me. Rather its appeal has now faded. It to me is like a Thar, on the wishlist but I probably wont bet my money on it. Plus the wafer thin dealership network is a dampner for sure.
Old 19th February 2021, 19:07   #23
BHPian

I would vote no because i have been hearing a lot of horror stories related to Jeep Compass, mostly being faulty ABS sensor going kaput in most of the compasses followed by premature wearing out of clutch (MT diesel). Not to mention Headlamp condensation issues being reported too. On the other hand i see a lot of used jeep compass in the used car market quoting a very cheap asking price. However i guess the chances of getting a lemon is high. I too was in the market for a Jeep compass six months ago, However one of my friend got his ABS sensor ( Compass Limited plus AT petrol) kaput and he had to drive 100 odd kms in limp mode to get it fixed in jeep service center.
Old 20th February 2021, 15:26   #24
BHPian

I voted a YES !!

Again, YES only for the pre-owned Jeep Compass, otherwise it is grossly over priced and became more expensive with recent facelift.

Unfortunately, there are no Diesel ATs available in Bangalore market at present, probably due to its late entry. I hope ATs will come to pre-owned market in few months down the line.

For me, it's a complete SUV with all that I need, I don't need 4x4 but that's a bonus. The outlook is smart, sweet size n dimensions, premium quality interiors, safety, ride quality and go anywhere attitude with that legendary JEEP brand. You can see the popularity of Jeep front grill, it's aftermarket copy is attached to Brezza's facia and some other SUVs as well.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 15:46   #25
BHPian

Having driven a Fiat Palio Stile Multijet diesel for a decade would definitely say Yes to a used Jeep Compass as no other SUV would be comparable to the 5 Star safety at similar price point
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 13:48   #26
BHPian

Voted yes. From the enthusiast POV, none of the following short comings matter:

1. Poor Resale: Good to buy used. If you're like me who tend to worry about a lemon, there's little in the south of 30L that can match the driveability/safety etc.
2. Poor Automatic: Unless you're too old, drive the enthusiast choice a manual.
3. Small Size: Sorry. I don't understand the price/sqft logic for cars. BTW: Love Mini too.
4. Dealership/service center: Another reason for a long drive. Also buy extended warranty and road side assistance.
kaushal21fb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 21:39   #27
BHPian

What should be the ideal price for 2017 Compass Longitude Diesel with 90000 KM on Odometer? Dealer is offering me 12.x L and I think it's overpriced.
Old 30th June 2021, 22:55   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
. From the enthusiast POV, none of the following short comings matter:

3. Small Size: Sorry. I don't understand the price/sqft logic for cars. BTW: Love Mini too.
4. Dealership/service center: Another reason for a long drive. Also buy extended warranty and road side assistance.
I’m sorry but none of these points make sense.

2. Why must the desire to have the convenience of an automatic be pegged to age. Can’t a 25 year old physically fit individual wish to have the convenience of an automatic?

3. While there are outlier exceptions, on the whole there is some co-relation in size of car to its price segment. I honestly think “size” wise its squarely a Creta (or similar) competitor. Now if you use a top of line petrol Creta (~21 lakh on road) as a benchmark, add justifiable premium for build quality, Jeep brand, whatever else etc, is the Compass Petrol A/T really worth 50% more at ~30/32 lakh on road for a car with comparable engine performance? Similarly is the badly tuned top of line diesel (even accounting for 4x4 tech) really worth 34.5 lakh on road - about 15 lakh over the Creta / Seltos?

4. A service visit has to be conveniently located. If you must use service as a reason for a long drive, you can still “opt” to go to a service centre in a city 300 kms away. Still doesn’t hurt to have a wider dealer network. Multiple dealer options in your own city also mean you have a choice if unhappy with the service of a specific dealer.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 23:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
Voted yes. From the enthusiast POV, none of the following short comings matter:

1. Poor Resale: Good to buy used. If you're like me who tend to worry about a lemon, there's little in the south of 30L that can match the driveability/safety etc.
If that's all you looking for then buy a pre owned Abarth Punto or Linea Tjet or Linea/Punto/Urban Cross Multijet. It has your enthusiast choice -manual, it can sit 4 occupants relatively well like Compass, Urban Cross gives you that added GC and seating position, remap it and you can get nearly the same performance at 1/5th the cost.
And there are not many service centers so you can have many reasons for a long drive to service the Punto/Linea. Well at the price of one pre-owned Compass you can buy one pre owned Abarth Punto & one Linea Emotion MJD. Still have good cash left to remap both

Last edited by VWAllstar : 30th June 2021 at 23:13.
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’m sorry but none of these points make sense.

2. Why must the desire to have the convenience of an automatic be pegged to age. Can’t a 25 year old physically fit individual wish to have the convenience of an automatic?

3. While there are outlier exceptions, on the whole there is some co-relation in size of car to its price segment. I honestly think “size” wise its squarely a Creta (or similar) competitor. Now if you use a top of line petrol Creta (~21 lakh on road) as a benchmark, add justifiable premium for build quality, Jeep brand, whatever else etc, is the Compass Petrol A/T really worth 50% more at ~30/32 lakh on road for a car with comparable engine performance? Similarly is the badly tuned top of line diesel (even accounting for 4x4 tech) really worth 34.5 lakh on road - about 15 lakh over the Creta / Seltos?

4. A service visit has to be conveniently located. If you must use service as a reason for a long drive, you can still “opt” to go to a service centre in a city 300 kms away. Still doesn’t hurt to have a wider dealer network. Multiple dealer options in your own city also mean you have a choice if unhappy with the service of a specific dealer.
Totally understand the confusion. Please allow me to explain.

We make our life's decision based on what we value more and what we not. Buying cars also fall in the same paradigm. If someone considers him/herself an enthusiast, (which I guess will be more likely true for someone who's on team-BHP and regularly reads posts) driving pleasure, safety etc. will score above lot other points in that personal value system.

So to the points above.
2. Like I said it's a matter of value. Some people will value comfort over everything else. If comfort is your prime value, by all means buy an automatic, even better don't drive. Hire a chauffeur, take a back seat and maybe only drive where you'll find it comfortable.

To further make the point, if driving was a religion, then operating a slick box or occasionally popping clutch for that wheelspin (smile, yeah some high torque automatics will do too, but..) would be great rituals to follow.

3. Most of it you've answered (brand value, build ..) yourself. BTW every time I get into a friend's C class, I think "wow is this really worth 2 JCs?"

4. The only point here was, that most EU cars will need to be serviced (15k Kms) only once a year for most people. So perhaps it's not a such a big deal. Its also a catch 22 situation, most manufacturer's won't provide you a service center unless you buy their product. So either we remain stuck with 1 or 2 brands or support other good brands creating a world of possibilities. Choice is ours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks