Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch

Incredible sales despite the large number of stories I've heard about minor niggles and issues.

It's my belief that the new Tata line-up is selling based on one factor, and that is "looks".

Literally, every vehicle they sell today (except Tigor) is a piece of art.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Tata! Hard work pays, Tata has worked really hard to see this day. Great going by Indian manufacturer and very very happy to see sales numbers. I am sure, if Tata improves their sales and marketing, they can achieve more sales with current models. BHX would only add healthy numbers to their total sales in coming days.

Not sure why Tata has not revived their Sumo brand yet. If Tata can bring it back, it certainly has potential to get good numbers for them. Sumo was great vehicle and their last model was really good with all issues sorted. Hope Tata listening.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Incredible sales despite the large number of stories I've heard about minor niggles and issues.

It's my belief that the new Tata line-up is selling based on one factor, and that is "looks".

Literally, every vehicle they sell today (except Tigor) is a piece of art.
Minor correction
Looks + Very safe and truly "Value For Money" cars..!
rocketfinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:32   #49

Feels good to see TATA rise!
Took delivery of Tiago last month for my father(as a replacement of our aging Alto). The car is miles ahead of the Alto experience I must add.

Saw the Safari too while I was there, a 7 seater is on our list too but the only thing I didn't like is the Boot space in the new Safari(it's non-existent with all seats up).
So the search continues!
Rakmo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:32   #50
BANNED

Re: Tata's Feb 2021 sales highest ever in 9 years

What a come-back kid Tata has been! It came back from the brink it was at, not long ago. It is also good to see that they are rolling out 25 lakh rupee cars by thousands, a feat which Maruti can only dream of, at this point in time, and even Hyundai struggled with, with Tucson and Santa Fe.

As some Bhpians have suggested, Tata needs to keep stoking the fire. They can't afford to rest their oars like they did last time. They need to keep refreshing their existing range and keep bringing in new models to squeeze into yawning gaps between their model range, such as between Nexon and Harrier. With more and more brands entering the arena, if you so much as blink, your rival will loom large in your rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

From a global PoV, India is really a small market for Toyota & Honda. Extensive regulation & taxes don't help either.
If Hyundai can pull off in a big way and even bring his cousin over, what is stopping this Japanese duo?
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:34   #51
BHPian

Very happy to see an Indian brand locking horns against the global giants and giving them a tough competition. Tata Motors are producing gorgeous cars with safety as your top priority and it's showing in their growing sales MoM.

The only concern is their extremely poor after sales service which is still pushing customers to other brands like Hyundai and Kia. I myself had booked a Nexon but after 11 weeks of wait and constant follow-ups, received no response from the team. I finally switched to a Hyundai Venue. Wishing all the best to the Tata team and really hope they improve their customer service!
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:37   #52
BHPian

Sales strategies based on "a piece of the pie chart" approach usually ends up leaving only the the toppings on the the plate. Too many companies (including TATA) have failed adopting the "market share" strategy for growth. Focus would shift on cutting corners to increase sales which results in utterly maladapted products. TATA have been down that road with products like indica and Nano which were results of a "I want a piece of the pie" thinking of the management and have been spectacular failures.

TATA should focus on what they have achieved so far based on Safety + Good Engineering + VFM. The piece in the pie chart would automatically grow.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:48   #53
BHPian

I work in the Auto sector, by supplying Raw Materials to various OEMs.

I am a reader of "Auto Car Professional". In 2019 I cam across an article on it, which detailed about how they planned to revamp their entire line-up.

It detailed about how some of their vehicles, namely Safari, Aria etc had outlived their life-cycles and their plan to reduce the entire line-ups life cycle by 75%.

In those days, Tata Motors stock was a hard "SELL". I had recommended to many family and friends to buy and Hold as Tata has a very good prospective outlook for 3-5 years.

I am glad to see that some aspect of my intuition/experience has been correct (although it is still early to call).
shivs2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:19   #54
BHPian

Does Tata, or Mahindra/Maruti, get a substantial boost from lower taxes due to higher localisation of parts? If so, what would that be in percentage terms compared to competitors in the same category? Does it make them more profitable or do they pass on the cost advantage to consumers?
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:49   #55
BHPian

Tata Motors Feb 2021 sales distribution:
Source:
Autopunditz
Attached Thumbnails
Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch-img_20210303_154540.jpg  

udaikalra01 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Kudos to Tata! Hard work pays, Tata has worked really hard to see this day. Great going by Indian manufacturer and very very happy to see sales numbers. I am sure, if Tata improves their sales and marketing, they can achieve more sales with current models. BHX would only add healthy numbers to their total sales in coming days.

Not sure why Tata has not revived their Sumo brand yet. If Tata can bring it back, it certainly has potential to get good numbers for them. Sumo was great vehicle and their last model was really good with all issues sorted. Hope Tata listening.
In my opinion, Sumo could be LR Defender counter part in the Safari-Discovery : Tata-LR jigsaw (I hope I haven't made a too confusing statement). Only the platform will be same as Harrier/ Safari's. Simply put, it can be boxy AWD model of the Safari (obviously rising above ranks, perception & target market).

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Tata Motors Feb 2021 sales distribution:
Source:
Autopunditz
It seems to me that the sub-4 meter sedan market has actually little scope for growth with heavyweights from Maruti-Honda-Hyundai taking away most sales. Tata is trying hard with Tigor, & I feel a CNG variant may help only a bit.

My suggestion to Tata product planning will be to create a sporty high riding coupe of the Tigor in next generation & let a sedan based on Altroz fight for numbers & reputation in mid-size executive sedan (Ciry-Verna) segment.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd March 2021 at 17:23. Reason: Back to back posts.
CARDEEP is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:56   #57
BHPian

This come back is because of the Hexa. Many saw its potential but sadly only a few of us put our money down.

When you walk into the showroom and see a stunningly well built car that could retail for double its asking price if it's badge was different, it gives so much confidence to customers not only who are shopping for it but for all other cars in the brand.

20 lakhs for a Tata was voted down back then but it laid a seed in the minds of the people and grabbed their attention. That seed has now sprouted.

27 lakhs OTR Safari is a value for money product now! A lot of credit should go to team Hexa which saw a market for a 20 lakh plus Tata.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:57   #58
BHPian

Epic epic epic! It is just brilliant to see how far Tata Motors have come! They have really turned the page.

I just hope that they do the following to maintain the lead:

1. Keep the portfolio updated with latest tech & features and take the fight to Koreans.
2. Launch a sub nexon Level EV.
3. MUV in 15-20 lac segment
4. MUV to compete with Ertiga
5. Obviously keep up with the 5 star safety rating. I think potential Suzuki customers have started to notice the safety ratings.
6. And IMHO improve the rear end of Nexon, I find it too pointy at corners (the brake lights).
7. Really improve the showroom and workshop aesthetics.

I personally havent been to their workshop, but from lot of videos on youtube, I see a lot of scope of improvement especially in cleanliness and even basic equipments used in servicing. The Toyota workshops are spic and span for example.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to TATA!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th March 2021 at 08:15. Reason: breaklights > brake lights.
sidharthg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
This come back is because of the Hexa. Many saw its potential but sadly only a few of us put our money down.
Well, Good Catch! People cheated on Hexa and dooming it's production. But now many are behind used Hexa as they regret choosing other brands which failed to offer neither stability, ride, comfort nor the sturdy built quality.

Kudos to TATA for achieving this feet and heartfelt gratitude for all the buyers who trusted the Indian brand and paid their hard earned money despite its known shortcomings.
Johnnny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post

When you walk into the showroom and see a stunningly well built car that could retail for double its asking price if it's badge was different, it gives so much confidence to customers not only who are shopping for it but for all other cars in the brand.

20 lakhs for a Tata was voted down back then but it laid a seed in the minds of the people and grabbed their attention. That seed has now sprouted.

27 lakhs OTR Safari is a value for money product now! A lot of credit should go to team Hexa which saw a market for a 20 lakh plus Tata.
Fully agree with you. Hexa won't be overpriced even at 30 lakhs. That suspension alone deserves that much money.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks