Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 08:22   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Hopefully with the longer chasis, they will be able to package a better suspension like in the Scorpio. I also hope they retain the Turbo Petrol with 4WD Option that didn't make it to the Scorpio-N.

The 4-Door Thar will have a wider appeal for someone like me who wants it more as workhorse rather than purely a recreational ride. Heck, I may even sell off my Bolero 4WD to get this.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 10:40   #137
BHPian

M&M is portfolio is tightly packed, with Thar, Scorpio, ScorpioN, XUV700 all in 12-25L segment. Accommodating 5 Door THAR will be a challenge.
Rationally this car does not makes sense (with longer wheel base you loose true Thar capability and if you want space then there is XUV and if you want space + capability then there is ScorpioN)
But given the track record of M&M marketing team, they will sell the "perception of LIVE FREE" successfully this time also
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 10:45   #138
BHPian

Me too. The reason why I went for compass instead of Thar was the rear door. It is near impossible to fix and use a child seat in three door thar, that too with the kid resisting. Booked the 3 door thar twice but didn't go ahead with the purchase in the end. I was comfortable with ride quality of the 3 door version. 5 door thar with a usable boot space would be perfect for me.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
M&M is portfolio is tightly packed, with Thar, Scorpio, ScorpioN, XUV700 all in 12-25L segment. Accommodating 5 Door THAR will be a challenge.
Rationally this car does not makes sense (with longer wheel base you loose true Thar capability and if you want space then there is XUV and if you want space + capability then there is ScorpioN)
But given the track record of M&M marketing team, they will sell the "perception of LIVE FREE" successfully this time also
Honestly, while what you say rationally makes sense. Yet how many buyers of 3 door Thar truly use it for what it is meant to do? My locality is filled with Thars blinged by slapping on snorkels, wider track tyres, blinding LED light bars and god knows what else yet these are local politicians, well to do student community from Symbiosis and some IT folks who probably shifted from Noida (UP plates).

For Mahindra, it's simply more sales or atleast assurance of the current sales now that 5 door Jimny seems like a reality. Am sure this will be no Wrangler but happy to get a Scorpio like rugged vehicle in Thar clothing.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:12   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
I wanted to own a Thar but not the one we have in the market right now, pretty useless as only and daily driving car. We have 2 cars at home (I drive a Honda WR-V Diesel and my father has a Seltos Diesel)
While I love the idea of ScorpioN but looks are not what I want as per my personal taste, I'm more in boxy shape. That's where the 5 door Thar comes in place for me.

I was even considering 5 door Gurkha but interiors and AT is what keeping Thar above the Gurkha. I'm not much into off road but have done multiple trips to Ladakh, Zanskar with my WRV.

I've planned to upgrade my WRV (110k kms on the ODO) by next year around October so I hope Mahindra launch the 5 door Thar by then.

In my circle I know atleast 12 people who are waiting for a practical Thar.
Old 19th August 2022, 13:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post

The last fossil fuel vehicle to have before EVs takeover!
Mahindra will bring on the EV version of the Thar for sure in the near future

This will be in line with their current trend of the Electric XUV700 along with a host of new EVs in the pipeline.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th August 2022 at 13:36.
Old 19th August 2022, 14:05   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
I wanted to own a Thar but not the one we have in the market right now, pretty useless as only and daily driving car.
Wow! That’s quite a strong statement and quite wrong too! I am using a Thar softop and it’s my only car. My wife (a month old new driver now) and myself use it from vegetable shopping to divider climbing to mall hopping! My wife takes it too her office too atleast 3 days a week.
The way this off-roader manages to go over everything Hyderabad roads throws at it- bad speedbreakers, under construction roads and sites, massive craters, water logged roads, hills, unscientific mall parking humps - it’s just mind blowing. Heck when other cars are stuck or slowing on roads, Thar simply flies over them in 2wd mode!

I was using my father’s Elantra in lucknow - Thar makes that car pretty useless for city because of its bad ground clearance and low seating.
I feel Thar is a perfect city car with a good rear seating too - rear seats recline to great angles and legroom too is pretty good. Love the softop, I make it a point to make it topless atleast once in 10 days
Now - old age people or families using rear seat very often may definitely be put off by its poor harsh rear ride and absence of rear doors. It has its tantrums too when it comes to reliability - my car has seen 4 workshop visits in less than 3 months for an issue

For 2 people family like mine with occasional rear usage - just the perfect city car !
Have already put 6000 km in less than 3 months
AMG1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:16   #143
BHPian

May be Mahindra names it Thar Neo or Thar+ but they may not want to do away with their Thar image. Also this lengthier Thar will have to come with the higher tuned 173 Bhp Diesel which will do it's duties in the Scorpio-N or may be something in the range of 150-160 Bhp tune as compared to the 130 BHp Diesel unit in the current Thar.

The boxy shape will still be the same as the current Thar with the same wheel base of the Scorpio-N and shorter overhang to keep the Departure angle safe. It doesn't look to be 5+2 seater but the big boot will help to travel 5 + handsome amount of luggage.

There are many who use the Thar for overlanding with roof top tent etc. in case of sunroof the structure might not support the extra weight on the roof. let's see what M&M offers...
Old 19th August 2022, 16:35   #144
Senior - BHPian

I think with the almost 1.5 lakh backlog Mahindra has, it can go easy on future model announcements/launches and honor the bookings it has in hand instead of sitting on a pile of OPM (other people's money).
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:23   #145
BHPian

With increased dimensions, its most certain the 5 door Thar will be equipped with an engine tuned alike that of the Scorpio N.
Old 19th August 2022, 19:47   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Wow! That’s quite a strong statement and quite wrong too!
I'm looking at it as per my use case scenario and comparing it to my current vehicle(WRV). 4-5 people with their luggage in side the vehicle which is impossible with Thar as of now.
Old 19th August 2022, 20:24   #147
BHPian

These spy shots have me drooling already. I'm looking to buy my first car in a year or two. I am strictly a sedan guy but god is the appeal of this car through the roof. Hoping for a more powerful engine, Slightly nicer interiors and more sorted suspension. Number one on the wish list is better supply to meet the demand. Present waiting timelines are crazy IMHO.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 09:50   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
For 2 people family like mine with occasional rear usage - just the perfect city car !
Have already put 6000 km in less than 3 months
Agree. I have seen quite a few young couple in my apartment complex owning THAR and enjoying every bit of it. I have THAR as my daily ride now and the kind of roads we have now post heavy rains, it is so much fun going over all those potholes and craters. My wife also prefers THAR if it is just 2 of us than the 5 door options we have in our garage. I guess it makes people like us in their forties feel young as well!! In addition, for offroading, 3 door THAR is ideal from size persepective along with its 4WD capability.

Having said that, there are many fence sitters who are desperately waiting for 5 door THAR. I just hope that they give a more powerful engine for this version.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 19:02   #149
BHPian

I'm rooting for this as my second car. This is desi JL but with better realiability and repairability. If the 5 door version has better space management starting from foot well to the back seat, then we have a sure shot winner here along another 48 months waiting periods. Two times I changed my mind and cancelled the Thar. I was that close but the space management was too bad and that too with that massive exterior dimensions. Renault Triber is a case study for you M&M. Go and buy one and learn.

M&M should now focus on basics like easy availability along with better QA/QC than spending effort and money on proto types, 3D renders etc.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 20:17   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I was that close but the space management was too bad and that too with that massive exterior dimensions. Renault Triber is a case study for you M&M. Go and buy one and learn.

M&M should now focus on basics like easy availability along with better QA/QC than spending effort and money on proto types, 3D renders etc.
I don't think they have anything to learn from Renault, the humble Omni used to come in an 8 seater, it was quite comfy as well.

In general there is an expectation for Thar to be a Jeep which means the bonnet has to be long, people sit nearer to the rear axle than front. Engine has to be pushed towards the cabin etc - means space inside will be less, which is expected.

This is a common set up for all traditional Mahindra BOF vehicles because they are expected to be a jeep based wagon. You could push the engine forward over the front axle , liberate more space in the cabin at the expense of its agility or just transverse mount the engine in a FWD layout at the expense of everything it stands for.

There seems to be overwhelming demand for their vehicles regardless of all it's flaws and majority of those who own them are very happy , a perfect example of how a car/vehicle is more than the sum of its parts.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks