Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 23:10   #46
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone have any insight into when might this be expected to launch? Cant wait to see how it translates in reality.
Depends on how advanced the R&D is right now, even if the test mules start getting spotted on road, I don’t see a launch timeline before 2022-23.
Old 4th May 2021, 18:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How can keyless entry or lack thereof be a deal breaker. Auto AC, I can accept to an extent.
It can be issue for people who are used to these features. I was driving Baleno from 3 years, and never took out key from my pocket. Took me sometime to adjust with Thar, and I am fine with it. but it can be a deal breaker for many who will compare it with cars in similar price range. Thar is something which is brought by heart and not brain!!
partishs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partishs View Post
It can be issue for people who are used to these features. I was driving Baleno from 3 years, and never took out key from my pocket. Took me sometime to adjust with Thar, and I am fine with it. but it can be a deal breaker for many who will compare it with cars in similar price range. Thar is something which is brought by heart and not brain!!
Are you suggesting that those who look at the Thar and find out it doesnt have keyless entry, will next check out a Seltos or Creta? Well good luck to them ! Hopefully the Sales Advisor on either side will convince them that they are making a meaningless comparison.
Old 4th May 2021, 20:59   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Are you suggesting that those who look at the Thar and find out it doesnt have keyless entry, will next check out a Seltos or Creta? Well good luck to them ! Hopefully the Sales Advisor on either side will convince them that they are making a meaningless comparison.
Not only keyless entry, there are bunch of other features in cars like creta/seltos. I am talking about a comprehensive package which is value for money. Thar's usp is 4*4 which no body is offering in current price range. Thar is for enthusiasts who love something different. Convincing family for Thar is a tough job. Telling from my experience. Thar is an awesome car, but not a family car. 5 door Thar will be 20+ and there it will face stiff competition from other car makers like Toyota and Ford and even Mahindra's own upcoming XUV700. And to make it sell in good numbers, Mahindra will have to incorporate lots of features by keeping the price competitive, or price the car less than 18 lakhs which seems a tough call considering 3 Door Thar pricing.
Old 5th May 2021, 06:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Thar is an awesome car, but not a family car. 5 door Thar will be 20+ and there it will face stiff competition from other car makers like Toyota and Ford and even Mahindra's own upcoming XUV700. And to make it sell in good numbers, Mahindra will have to incorporate lots of features by keeping the price competitive, or price the car less than 18 lakhs which seems a tough call considering 3 Door Thar pricing.
In my view, the Thar does not have any competition as a product other than MS Jimny (if launched at all). As you said, it is an exclusive product that is not meant to be looked at as a family car, unless Mahindra significantly ups the luxury quotient on a 5-door model and sobers down its tough mechanicals. But then it won't reman a Thar anymore !
Old 9th May 2021, 19:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:
In my view, the Thar does not have any competition as a product other than MS Jimny (if launched at all). As you said, it is an exclusive product that is not meant to be looked at as a family car, unless Mahindra significantly ups the luxury quotient on a 5-door model and sobers down its tough mechanicals. But then it won't reman a Thar anymore !
Now we are on the same page. This is the point that I was trying to make.Thar is a brand with its own legacy, and keeping that legacy alive with incorporating all luxury features in competitive pricing will be very tough for M&M. Maybe If 5 door Thar comes loaded with features and at a price in range of fortuner, it will sell but will become out of range of many Thar lovers and 4*4 enthusiasts. Also it will face direct competition from Fortuner and Endaviour, which is not the case of 3 door variant as it's not having any competition in its price range
Let's see how M&M prices this car, because at the end of the pricing will be one key factor which will decide the fate of 5 door thar in Market.
partishs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 07:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe If 5 door Thar comes loaded with features and at a price in range of fortuner, it will sell but will become out of range of many Thar lovers and 4*4 enthusiasts. Also it will face direct competition from Fortuner and Endaviour, which is not the case of 3 door variant as it's not having any competition in its price range
A 35l Thar will sink without a trace. At that price it will need 6x6 from factory with 35inch tyres on beadlocked rims and 900mm fording ability. A power retractable roof might also help the case.

Jokes apart even at 20l (if at all) the 5D Thar will be overpriced by a good couple of lacs.
Old 11th May 2021, 08:33   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Jokes apart even at 20l (if at all) the 5D Thar will be overpriced by a good couple of lacs.
The 2-door is priced between 17L to 18L on road depending on the states.

We will be looking at a minimum of 20 lakhs on-road with the 5-door, no second thoughts needed there.
Old 11th May 2021, 08:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The 2-door is priced between 17L to 18L on road depending on the states.

We will be looking at a minimum of 20 lakhs on-road with the 5-door, no second thoughts needed there.
Yes. Premise: 2-D versions are priced very ambitiously as well! 5D Thar with those looks is my dream SUV but the current SWB prices scare me away from even thinking how much 5D will cost.
Old 11th May 2021, 09:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
A 35l Thar will sink without a trace. At that price it will need 6x6 from factory with 35inch tyres on beadlocked rims and 900mm fording ability. A power retractable roof might also help the case.

Amol Bhai, 3 Door Thar is 14.16 ex showroom for diesel Auto Hardtop. Bringing 5 door Thar below 20l will be a big challenge for Mahindra.
partishs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 11:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amol Bhai, 3 Door Thar is 14.16 ex showroom for diesel Auto Hardtop. Bringing 5 door Thar below 20l will be a big challenge for Mahindra.
Will it be really though? The real Jeep Wranglers differ from USD$2k-4k between 3D and 5D versions. Even factoring in exorbitant automotive prices in India, 18L ex-showroom at least for 5D diesel MT seems quite achievable (and reasonable). A close to 4L premium or more, feels more than enough IMHO.

On the other hand seeing miraculous sales of 3D version, Mahindra will try to wring out every penny but lets face it, pushing it to Fortuner price levels...is harakiri.
Old 17th May 2021, 00:41   #57
BHPian

Those who actually wanted a Thar for weekend/lifestyle or off-roading have already booked the two door. Let's keep them aside for a while.

There is definitely a space in the market for a 5 door Thar.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, doesn't fully understand the SUV craze that's gripped the subcontinent. SUV's in any shape, any size are welcome into the ring. And if you bring a Wrangler look-alike under 20 big ones, heck they're going to line up and wait 6 months.

There is a huge chunk of car buyers in love with the new 'accessible' Thar. Petrol or Diesel; A/T or M/T; HT/ST/Convertible. There's something for everyone with the new Thar. It's the only 4x4 AT below 20 lakhs.

There is a lot, and I mean lot, of folks out there madly in love with the Thar's design and the machismo of the owner it conveys unabashedly. Half of these folks have already booked the Thar regardless of anything you tell them and are waiting for delivery.

The only thing stopping the other half from booking a Thar is its lack of practicality and convincing potential as an only car garage. Most car owning Indians have and can afford only a single car garage and the Thar gets chucked out on one account above all else- practicality.

The 5 door is the easiest solution to that problem. I think it would be priced higher than the already overpriced 2 door, but heck that wouldn't matter. Look at what the other tin cans are charging for fancy screens and sunroofs. The industry has shamelessly moved up the price ladder and we can do very little about it.

The 5 door Thar would be a rugged looking alternative to those who want to look different at the mall parking lot, from the Korean crowd and still not have to sleep on the couch at home because they asked their in-laws to tuck and slide into the second row.

The 5 door Thar would be the cure for mid-life crisis for many and so would sell.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 14:06   #58
BHPian

I don't get the point of discussing prices of the 5 door thar at this point of time.
Test mules are yet to be spotted in the first place and the launch date is yet to be decided as of now. So why does the price even warrant a discussion in the first place?

Also, what I feel is that Mahindra is a brand that has not really shied away from experimenting. Even duds like the Nuvosport and Quanto or even the TUV300 were kept on sale for a long long time. Even the so called overpriced Alturas is being sold by them for now.

Thar 5 door if not for the mechanicals will sell on the looks alone, there is no issue in Mahindra bringing out an elongated model of the Thar and pricing it at a premium of 2-3 lakhs over the current 3 door models.
Old 18th May 2021, 00:36   #59

A 5 door Thar is a wet dream for many enthusiasts like me with a family of five. With just a bit of extended wheelbase, 5 doors and seating for five it would be a success considering the response for current gen Thar. It would make most sense for heart as well as mind for many with the goodies it offers.
sudhiruiit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Will it be really though? The real Jeep Wranglers differ from USD$2k-4k between 3D and 5D versions. Even factoring in exorbitant automotive prices in India, 18L ex-showroom at least for 5D diesel MT seems quite achievable (and reasonable). A close to 4L premium or more, feels more than enough IMHO.

On the other hand seeing miraculous sales of 3D version, Mahindra will try to wring out every penny but lets face it, pushing it to Fortuner price levels...is harakiri.
I think sub 4 meter tax benefits will also come in picture. 3 Door Mahindra Thar is 3985mm, 5 door Mahindra Thar in less than 4 m will be a challenge for M&M. Maybe they introduce some base variant with 5 doors and no 4*4 and lower engine variants like they are going to do in 3 door variants to keep prices competitive

Quote:
As per news they have taken the first step. 3 door new base variant without 4*4 and 1.5 ltr engine. Seems like Mahindra wants to make Thar mainstream, at the cost of THAR's legacy.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th May 2021 at 12:44. Reason: Back to back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks