Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 20:58   #106
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
1. The 5 door version of the Thar will most likely have a different rake for the front windscreen as compared to the 3 door variant for better aerodynamics and also since the 5 door version will have a longer wheelbase.

3. Mahindra is testing FSD setup in the 5 door Thar and if it makes into production then we can expect a vastly superior riding SUV than the 3 door Thar.

5. Mahindra is testing both sunroof and moonroof for the 5 door Thar. They are not yet decided on which of the two options to go with.

6. Mahindra is also looking at launching a pickup version of the 5 door Thar. This will be an indirect successor to the erstwhile Scorpio Getaway.
1. Will be a welcome change to have a different rake on the windshield.

3. FSD suspension will be an awesome addition in the 5 door Thar.

5. Sunroof or moonroof or even freedom top like hardtop will be a welcome addition. But I would be more inclined to have an option of metal roof.

6. I am really looking forward to a Thar based pickup truck. If priced right (read Affordable), I would surely upgrade from my 2nd Gen Thar to the Thar based Pickup truck.
Old 10th February 2022, 12:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thar based pickup might look like a jeep gladiator, which can be a really useful vehicle for India.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

Someone wanted the best of both worlds, own the Wrangler and can't wait for the Thar 5-door.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-fb_img_1644927174870.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th February 2022 at 17:46.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:18   #109
BHPian

With the launch of the Mahindra Scorpio-N, can we still expect the launch of 5 door Thar by late 2023?

No prototype or camouflaged 5 door Thar has been spotted on our roads yet. I am loosing hope for a 5 door Thar after Scorpio-N launch
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:43   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
With the launch of the Mahindra Scorpio-N, can we still expect the launch of 5 door Thar by late 2023?

No prototype or camouflaged 5 door Thar has been spotted on our roads yet. I am loosing hope for a 5 door Thar after Scorpio-N launch
That's what I've thinking for the last month or so. The 5 door Thar was supposed to fulfill the demands of the consumers who wanted a Thar but could not buy one due to the lack of everyday practicality or for the person who wanted a more off-road capable XUV700 but both those niches have now been filled by the Scorpio-N.

Even if Mahindra launched a 5 door Thar it would be at least 3 lakh more than the 3 door version which puts it into Scorpio-N Z8L territory.

At this point I'm not very optimistic about the 5 door Thar and I feel like Mahindra would be better off updating the Thar by giving it the 175hp Diesel and 197hp Petrol state of tune from the Scorpio-N as the XUV 700, Scorpio-N and Thar all share the same 2.0 Turbo Petrol and 2.2 Turbo Diesel engines.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:11   #111
A M
BHPian

I am sure 5-door Thar will fetch good numbers for Mahindra purely based on how it will look like (a desi Wrangler). It makes a lot of business sense to launch it. Let the cannibalisation happen as long as the sales are within the Mahindra group.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Prototypes should have been spotted by now if they were planning a late 2023 or mid-2024 launch. I was really keen on this as I use a Thar CRDE and will no way go for another 3-door one. But 5-door's practicality would make me a repeat customer of Mahindra.
Old 29th June 2022, 18:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
I am sure 5-door Thar will fetch good numbers for Mahindra purely based on how it will look like (a desi Wrangler). It makes a lot of business sense to launch it. Let the cannibalisation happen as long as the sales are within the Mahindra group.
Exactly. Hope someone from Mahindra reads these posts and If they are reading this, I would like to give some suggestions for the 5 door Thar.

Dear Mahindra

- 4x4 and AT on all variants please
- A more raked Windshield
- Radiator positioning needs to be higher and out of harms way as much as possible
- And if no metal roof option (cause that will be too mainstream like Scorpio-N and other SUVs) then atleast make the Hardtop sectional
- Rear wash and wipe
- For God's sake, a Reverse camera needs to be fitted from the factory.

Rest, you guys already have the mechanicals in the new Scorpio-N. Don't need leather and stuff, just a more rugged SUV in the form of a 5 door Thar.
Just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Prototypes should have been spotted by now if they were planning a late 2023 or mid-2024 launch. I was really keen on this as I use a Thar CRDE and will no way go for another 3-door one. But 5-door's practicality would make me a repeat customer of Mahindra.
That's what worries me the most. For a 2023 or Early 2024 timeline, 5 Door Thar test mules should have been spotted but sadly no.
I am not to keen on the Scorpio-N cause I love my Thar and I would be much more happy to upgrade to a 5 Door Thar or a Thar based pick-up

Scorpio-N is big and butch looking SUV but I don't like its rear tall and narrow-ish looking stance (I know ScorpioN is a wide SUV, I am just talking about how the rear looks to me, I may be wrong here). But if no choice for 5 door Thar, future update might be a Scorpio-N.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 29th June 2022 at 18:58.
Old 29th June 2022, 19:01   #114
BHPian

Quote:
But if no choice for 5 door Thar, future update mid be a Scorpio-N.
Same sentiments on this. The tail is a bit let down and I feel the departure angle is compromised. Other than that I quite like the package. I still have 1-2 years of timeline ahead of me before the next purchase. If 5-door makes an appearance then I can wait more, if no news by that time, then Scorpion is almost final even without a test drive. Simply because there is no other option. 5-door would make more sense over Scorpion in terms of ruggedness as it will be more utilitarian if it ever sees the light of day since Mahindra won't cannibalize by making 5-door too premium, and should be more mod-friendly and fun, similar to the 3-door sibling.

Let's see if Mahindra is thinking the same or not.
ralto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 11:23   #115
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would love to see the 5 door Thar come to life. It will certainly open up the world of go anywhere and trail driving and democratise these leisure activities further because the vehicle is more practical and can accommodate the whole family and/ or friends in greater comfort. Along with the camping and picnicking and over landing accoutrements.

Several friends of mine own the 5 door Wrangler Sahara in the UAE, USA and other places and all of them enjoy family days out in it, across different terrain.

So the advent of the Thar 5 door will open up a world of possibilities for us Indians too. They should also consider a double cab pick up version of this. Like what is being fulfilled by the Bolero Camper and Scorpio Getaway at the moment, this could definitely become like a Jeep Gladiator.

If indeed, as is being surmised on this thread, they do bring out nice features like a freedom top with removable panels and removable doors and fully tumble fold rear seats etc, all of these being executed with great finesse, then this is our own ‘desi’ Wrangler and/ or Bronco, in Spades!

As an owner of the 3 door Thar, I am only hoping that if they do bring out some of these features, they should offer them as optional paid retro fits for the 3 door Thar owners too.

I for one am a ready paying customer for the factory spec and factory fit Freedom Top and the Full Tumble Fold rear Seats!

In all this excitement, sadly there seems to be No information at all as to what the Maruti folks are upto with the Jimny.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:31   #116
BHPian

If the Thar 5 door version is released right after the ScorpioN, it will definitely eat into the scorpioN sales. Also, this wouldn't be a mainstream SUV like the scorpioN. I think it would be best for Mahindra to launch the creta rival next. Ofcourse, this is from a business standpoint.

They can also launch a RWD Innova rival, based on the same scorpio platform. I think Mahindra needs to focus on pitting against the segment leaders.
Old 12th July 2022, 13:44   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
They can also launch a RWD Innova rival, based on the same scorpio platform. I think Mahindra needs to focus on pitting against the segment leaders.
For that, they can repurpose the Marazzo - Better engines, some tweaks and a new nameplate. Introduce it with a low initial price as done with XUV, Scorpio. Build it up from there in the coming months and years. Time will tell what’s in store for Marazzo but it was a good product let down by wishful pricing and mediocre engines.
Old 12th July 2022, 15:21   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
For that, they can repurpose the Marazzo - Better engines, some tweaks and a new nameplate. Introduce it with a low initial price as done with XUV, Scorpio. Build it up from there in the coming months and years. Time will tell what’s in store for Marazzo but it was a good product let down by wishful pricing and mediocre engines.
I agree Marazzo is a very good product. It is safe and car-like to drive. But I disagree on the engine part. The engine is great. One of the best 1.5L diesel engines in the country, and is still the most powerful one. The transmission is good too, but the gear lever gives tempo traveller vibes. But I guess there were too many confusions/mistakes on decisions: the choice of body on frame chassis and a transverse engine layout(supports FWD). BoF increased the kerb weight to 1650kg(in the vicinity of the Innova). Add to that the lack of features for a 15L car. The lack of petrol and automatic options was also a major contribution to the failure.

Nevertheless, I feel Mahindra should focus more on the mainstream segments rather than the niche lifestyle segments. Thar succeeded because its an under 20L car. The 5 door thar won't be. Look at the Hilux sales. Mahindra should maintain the track record and stay away from lifestyle segments atleast for the time being, to recover all the investment made.
Old 12th July 2022, 15:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
How I wish. Looking at the ScorpioN reviews, an MPV (presumably with a lower body) would have pretty good ride and handling. Add the 2.0l/2.2l engine and transmission options to the mix, you got a real Innova killer.

(Ofcourse, calling it an Innova killer will jinx it to fail)

Alas, Mahindra has burned away cash in that FWD, BoF, 1.5l engined model called Marazzo. (Sorry, owners)
Neither Tata nor Mahindra seem to be bothered about the MPV segment.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:45   #120
BHPian

The 4 door thar may fit up to 5 passengers total, driver included, and access to the second row seat would be a breeze. Owners along with their families can venture into some adventure. The storage/cargo area would be large and can fit a significant amount of cargo, especially if the rear seat is folded down. This would make the 4 door thar a perfect vehicle for overlanding.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks