Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2024, 21:22   #706
Bit
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalvittaladas View Post
Haha no. I really meant it 72000 in a year. I was finding excuses to drive my Thar. So many Chennai -Trivandrum trips, Chennai-Mumbai trips, Off roading trips from Chennai to Satram(Munnar) Wayanad.
If your running was this high, why in earth did you even consider petrol instead of diesel :3

Last edited by Bit : 2nd March 2024 at 21:23.
Bit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 21:25   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

If your running was this high, why in earth did you even consider petrol instead of diesel :3
I was having petrol reimbursement from my employer which covered most of my expenses. Moreover 50% of my travel was official purpose where I got reimbursement. Being a petrolhead, I opted for driving instead of flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My God.
In 72000 kms the thirsty Thar must have drunk 8000 litres of Petrol and cost 8 Lakh Rupees.
That’s a heck of a number I must say!
You have surpassed all possible records amongst us I think.
My official responsibility was such that I have to travel across Tamil Nadu and Kerala on a frequent basis. I used that opportunity to drive myself rather than flying and my employer reimbursed me. A win win situation

I also had a Creta which ran for 145000kms in 2 years which I sold to a fellow BHPian in 2022. Simply can't resist the temptations to drive

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th March 2024 at 23:52. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
vimalvittaladas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:26   #708
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra is pretty confident about 5 door Thar.

“As per our sources, Mahindra Thar Armada will be launched as 4X4 only. So, no RWD Thar Armada will be offered at launch. Mahindra will launch the 4X2 Thar Armada (RWD) at a later date”

https://www.rushlane.com/new-interes...-12490412.html

I would say Mahindra should ‘reveal’ the 5 door Thar and 3 door thar facelift sometime mid April followed by the actual vehicle launch on August 15 as usual.

Also it will be good to have a dark green (forest green maybe) and dark grey colour options.
LionX is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 21:44   #709
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

I am still not sure about their pricing strategy. The insane Jeep craze they had generated with the 3-door Thar won't be on the same level for the 4-door version, at least in my view. The Scorpio-N is a much better package as a full-sized SUV. Now this news of only a 4x4 variant launch further complicates things. Unless Mahindra prices it competitively, I can see it not doing as well as they expect it to.
Old 17th March 2024, 22:56   #710
Senior - BHPian

I have this on my strong contender list for my next upgrade. Wife didn't approve of the 3 door version owing to comfort, space, etc.

However, I read in some article with 4 door version of Thar, Mahindra is aiming it to make it more acceptable for family folks. If this is true, I will not blink an eye to get the imposter of mighty Rubicon
gururajrv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 03:58   #711
BHPian

After Jimmy's debacle, Mahindra don't need to go super aggressive with the 5 Door Thar. They can just launch the a fully kitted 4x4 variant (digital cluster, bigger HU, etc) at a premium to test the waters and then maybe jack up the price and launch a cheaper 4x4 or a 4x2 later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
However, I read in some article with 4 door version of Thar, Mahindra is aiming it to make it more acceptable for family folks. If this is true, I will not blink an eye to get the imposter of mighty Rubicon
Yes. It is expected Mahindra will use Scorpios suspension setup, grab handles, digital clusters, bugger HU, etc. If you wanted a 4x4 Scorpio dressed as Thar, this will be it.
vellatechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 13:25   #712
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Bad move IMHO. Lots of people buy Thar as a lifestyle vehicle and very few actually do off-roading. With 4X4 only, prices will be increased by more than 2+ lakhs on road. Why people should pay unnecessarily extra for something which they will never use mostly? I am sure Mahindra will launch 4X2 soon as they did with current Thar. 5 door Thar makes a perfect family car for someone who likes Thar like car to showoff and to carry his family at the same time.
Old 18th March 2024, 17:42   #713
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Bad move IMHO. Lots of people buy Thar as a lifestyle vehicle and very few actually do off-roading. With 4X4 only, prices will be increased by more than 2+ lakhs on road. Why people should pay unnecessarily extra for something which they will never use mostly? I am sure Mahindra will launch 4X2 soon as they did with current Thar. 5 door Thar makes a perfect family car for someone who likes Thar like car to showoff and to carry his family at the same time.
Totally agree with you. Ninety per-cent (my assumption) of 3-door 4WD Thars never leave asphalt. Which is why, after launch of 2WD, most people are choosing 2WD over 4WD. Mahindra would be making a big mistake by not bringing out a 2WD variant. True blue off-roaders any day choose short wheel-base 3-door 4WD over long wheel-base 5-door 4WD. Major customers of 5-door Thar are the ones who want a tough jeep-clone modern car with all the comforts, for family use. Not for going dune-bashing. Such folks will be put off by extra money 4WD costs because they have no intention of using it ever. This may tell on their sales.
Old 18th March 2024, 17:51   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
After Jimmy's debacle, Mahindra don't need to go super aggressive with the 5 Door Thar. They can just launch the a fully kitted 4x4 variant (digital cluster, bigger HU, etc) at a premium to test the waters and then maybe jack up the price and launch a cheaper 4x4 or a 4x2 later.
No point launching a 2WD with the 4 door initially. The strategy which has worked well for them with the 3 door Thar should work well here as well. Which is, first address the top level of cream in the market with the higher priced variants with all the capability, bells and whistles. These customers are prepared to pay premium for being first adopters. Once their needs are satiated, go for the next tiers of the market top down, progressively introducing more affordable variants. This way, you are able to maximize revenue and profit realization over a 2-3 year horizon from the launch. By introducing lower variants like 4X2 initially, especially for a vehicle which will they will be able to sell as many as they can make, they block up production capacity for lower revenue realization. The strategy should be able to tilt demand towards the variants with highest revenue realization and maximum profitability. There will be enough value and price conscious buyers left even after 2-3 years to lap up the lower spec-ed variants.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 18th March 2024 at 17:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 17:58   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
No point launching a 2WD with the 4 door initially. The strategy which has worked well for them with the 3 door Thar should work well here as well.
Bit of a snob point here but shouldn't the larger Thar be called 5-Door and not 4-Door?
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 22:22   #716
BHPian

What could be a better upgrade than this from our 2020 Ignis MT? Looking forward to the launch.
Old 19th March 2024, 02:19   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Most likely, the article got it wrong as it is mentioned there that the 5 door Thar will get limited slip differential.

Logically, the 5 door Thar should get the Mechanical Locking Differential similar to the one in the 3-door Thar or Scorpio N and not LSD as mentioned in the article.

Somehow the bootspace in the 5 door Thar looks much lesser than the space available in the Scorpio-N (with the third row folded), or even lesser when compared to decently large bootspace of the LWB Wrangler.
M&M design language of most of their vehicles seems to be stingy when it comes to providing a decent bootspace.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th March 2024 at 02:27.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 11:12   #718
BHPian

It is almost 3 years since these field trials started.
Seems Mahindra itself is not sure about the right package / mix / price point etc. To me there seems to be no other reason what is taking them so long.
Old 20th March 2024, 15:18   #719
BHPian

5 door Thar will be positioned between XUV and Scorpio N and will be overlapping in many instants. Thar is not as refined as 7OO or big enough as that of N. It wouldn't ride as good both. This is a lifestyle plus a very good offroader mixed with 5 door practicality - this combination doesn't exist in Indian market in the 20+- lakhs category. This will sell well even if it can offer 60-70% ride quality of what 7OO or N offers. Longer wheelbase will take care of the ride quality issues to some extent, I sincerely hope. I am prepared to book it on launch but a proper test drive will seal the deal. I don't think any other vehicle can come close to Thar 5 door when it comes to looks and Gods sake I don't have to put in 70 lakhs for something like this (cough *wrangler* cough).

Mahindra can do anything to get numbers. This news title is a click bait. 100% I guarantee 2WD will come sooner or later. Mahindra will follow the same sales strategy of pushing the costlier 4WD with all the bells and whistles first and then 2WD or other stripped down variants later. They did an unfathomable 2WD Thar 3 door just for the numbers and profit and they will surely do the same for the 5 door.

Last edited by sgmuser : 20th March 2024 at 15:25.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 15:49   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I don't think any other vehicle can come close to Thar 5 door when it comes to looks and Gods sake I don't have to put in 70 lakhs for something like this (cough *wrangler* cough).
With knobby tires and Solid axle, I doubt if Wrangler will fit the same use case as a Thar. You do not go offroad everyday but you sure need to drive into town for errands, highway trips etc which the Thar is well equipped to do.

In concept these are different vehicles is what I have gathered, they may look very similar no doubt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks