Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 20:28   #796
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Latest rendered image of the 5 door Thar (source link
Finally, a good render with the triangular rear quarter glass & the rear door handle placed at the position seen in test vehicles.
But from the image below, the top half of the rear quarter seems to be finished in black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Hence, did a quick photoshop edit imagining what I believe the side profile of the Thar 5 door will look like. Also added the 19 inchers which were earlier spied.
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-untitled-design.jpeg
Saurav_Nair is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:23   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
I'm assuming the 5 door would weigh atleast 1800-1900 kgs, wouldn't this make the car quite underpowered ? Ideally mahindra should aim to maintain a similar power to weight ratio as the 3 door atleast.
Exactly my thoughts ! Kerb weight for Thar 4x2 is 1685 kg and 4x4 is around 1750 kg. So we can safely assume 5 door thar will definitely around 2000 kg.

117 bhp and 300 Nm definitely not sufficient for vehicle weighing 2000 kgs.
LionX is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 01:25   #798
BHPian

I just hope Mahindra did a bit of proper r&d here and have made the driveshaft NOT touch the body when flexing
Unlike a certain Japanese brand.
skb1811 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:17   #799
BHPian

The new Thar looks tasty!

Media reports suggest that the Thar 5 door will be priced above the ScorpioN. I just don't see this. The pecking order for Mahindra has always been:

Thar > ScorpioN > XUV7OO

If anything, the Thar 5 door will slot in between the Thar 3 door and ScorpioN, but there may be a lot of overlap both sides depending on the variant. The lowest spec Thar 5 door will probably be somewhat close to the highest spec Thar 3 door, while the highest spec Thar 5 door will overlap somewhere with the mid-high spec of the ScorpioN.

Either way, this is looking good!

As a 2016 Scorpio S10 Automatic owner, it looks like I will be spoilt for choices when it comes time to upgrade in a few years time!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 13:03   #800
BHPian

Scorpio N now starts from 13.85 lakhs, Thar from 11.35 lakhs. Highly likely Thar Armada 1.5 will start from 12 lakhs just like Scorpio N and XUV700 at launch. Of course, this will be introductory pricing for limited numbers, then quick successive hikes, etc... the usual M&M shenanigans.
Whatever tricks they try to play, I will happily pay for it especially at the introductory price.
The second/third base model again will be my choice - don't want bare-bone model, also don't want to pay more for incremental features.

Last edited by NT_GT : 25th May 2024 at 13:12.
Old 25th May 2024, 14:20   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
Scorpio N now starts from 13.85 lakhs, Thar from 11.35 lakhs. Highly likely Thar Armada 1.5 will start from 12 lakhs just like Scorpio N and XUV700 at launch. Of course, this will be introductory pricing for limited numbers, then quick successive hikes, etc... the usual M&M shenanigans.
Whatever tricks they try to play, I will happily pay for it especially at the introductory price.
The second/third base model again will be my choice - don't want bare-bone model, also don't want to pay more for incremental features.
Does Mahindra provide hike immunity to the introductory bookings from future hikes before delivery? Given that dealers are taking unofficial bookings now (as mentioned in an earlier post), does doing so put on on priority "before" the official bookings open?

Thanks.
sanemate is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 14:21   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Latest rendered image of the 5 door Thar (source link
Is it just me or does the render make it look way longer than it actually would be? Something doesn't feel right in this.
sanemate is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 15:05   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanemate View Post
Is it just me or does the render make it look way longer than it actually would be? Something doesn't feel right in this.
The rear part in the rendering is indeed elongated.
The camouflaged Thar versions being tested have a steeper and shorter rear triangular glass panel.

This rendering has its length similar to the Wrangler's proportions, the Thar 5 door is definitely not as long.
M&M always has the tendency and fondness to cut down on the boot space in all their models
Old 25th May 2024, 18:41   #804
BHPian

Welcome move if M&M really comes up with entry level 1.5 Ltr engine. This will help them to have better product spread with good pricing.

Thing is even if the 5 door Thar will be launched; it will have selected followers just like current Thar. The reason is now there is an option of scorpio N and XUV700 which will certainly overlap within the Thar 5 door loop.
Mahindra will get good response here too since Thar is a fascinating vehicle for many but person interested to buy an SUV in this price range from M&M will have 3 options to choose from.

Also I feel this might kill some of the current Thar sale.

Interesting to see how it goes.

My personal views.

Cheers
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 08:46   #805
BHPian

My 2 cents on 4 door Thar as an owner of top end Scorpio for 12 years. When Indian automakers have the advantage of giving more car per car ( In 1998, Tata Indica was released with caption of more car per car as Indians are fed up with tiny costly but quality cars given by Japanese. The caption was an instant success but it could not sustain over a long period ). Indian auto makers should make sure the “more” given is truly made in a way competing with foreign brands. Quality should be top notch and should not give an impression to the patriotic Indian customer buying made in India product that one made a mistake and prefer to buy less car per car given by the Japanese and Koreans. If this one aspect is taken care of with a vision that Thar would be exported to 200 countries, then all will fall in place. Mahindra should not take Indians for granted that they can deliver a quality that is not upto the world standards by taking advantage of Government tax breaks etc

Last edited by Mystic : 26th May 2024 at 09:04.
Mystic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 06:15   #806
BHPian

If they can have a mid variant (RWD + 1.5L Engine) and accommodate a decent feature list in a VFM package this can capture some of 4.4M segment [Creta, Seltos, GV, UC]. This can provide a step growth [5-7K sales ] Mahindra needs to come in the range of Hyundai & Tata.

If they plan to re-launch XUV500 then they are definitely in for #2 position with respect to sale volumes (they are already #2 in terms of sale value ) and this dual offering strategy works, XUV700 - Urban SUV | Scorpio N - Old School Counter part similarly XUV500 & Thar Armada and XUV300 & Thar old
Old 27th May 2024, 07:10   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Thing is even when the 5 door Thar is launched; it will have selected followers just like current Thar.
I think you are not aware of how much the Thar actually sells. It has been selling 5,500 units consistently month on month despite being a unique 2 door lifestyle vehicle.

The 4 door will enhance the appeal of Thar further and will bring even the fence sitters into the showroom as it brings the practicality of 4 doors and the sexiness together. I agree that its going to overlap with all other popular Mahindra SUV's but as long as Mahindra still gets business from this cross shopping, I don't think they would mind.

Additionally, I believe the term selected followers is something that would apply to Jimny which has struggled and is struggling to sell. If you meant something else by that term, I apologize in advance.
Doonite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 08:35   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

More revealing spy shots:

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathararmadasuvinteriorsspacelegroomboot5.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathararmadasuvinteriorsspacelegroomboot2.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathararmadasuvinteriorsspacelegroomboot3.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathararmadasuvinteriorsspacelegroomboot4.jpg

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th May 2024 at 08:37.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 12:34   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door production to start by June this year, earmarks around 4,000 units of the Thar 5-door every month
If this is true, I’m wondering what’s stopping Mahindra from unveiling the vehicle? Starting production in the month of June means variants and features must have already finalised, isn’t it ?
Old 30th May 2024, 23:00   #810
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
If this is true, I’m wondering what’s stopping Mahindra from unveiling the vehicle? Starting production in the month of June means variants and features must have already finalised, isn’t it ?
Could be that they are aiming for uninterrupted series of deliveries from day 1 of launch? They are already somewhat assured of the demand and they find it smart to have a decent stock ready so that people can take deliveries instantly upon launching.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks