Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 03:52   #61
BHPian

re: Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post
Prathap Bose is certainly overrated designer in general. Like Steve Jobs once famously said - Design is not about how it looks, but how it works. Tata cars still work the same way even in the new cars - rough edges, ergonomic issues, inconsistent panel gaps, broken parts, unoptimized interior space etc...
I don't think those aren't in the scope of an automotive designer. Rough edges, part quality aren't really something a design team has control over.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
I don't think those aren't in the scope of an automotive designer. Rough edges, part quality aren't really something a design team has control over.
Quote:
Like Steve Jobs once famously said - Design is not about how it looks, but how it works. Tata cars still work the same way even in the new cars - rough edges, ergonomic issues, inconsistent panel gaps, broken parts, unoptimized interior space etc...
A good design practice goes much beyond mere styling/aesthetics and makes sure that the design is cohesively implemented. Designers would take a close looks at the panel gaps, fit and finish in general.
Of course, ergonomics and space utilization are integral part of the automobile design.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Prathap Bose is certainly overrated designer in general. Like Steve Jobs once famously said - Design is not about how it looks, but how it works. Tata cars still work the same way even in the new cars - rough edges, ergonomic issues, inconsistent panel gaps, broken parts, unoptimized interior space etc... This was my experience with Harrier and new Safari. For such big cars, there was hardly any boot space. If this big dimension car was designed by Honda Jazz designer, he /she would have created a boot space for fitting an elephant.

Pratap did try to make some changes to aesthetics and design branding. That's all he made, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
A good design practice goes much beyond mere styling/aesthetics and makes sure that the design is cohesively implemented. Designers would take a close looks at the panel gaps, fit and finish in general.
Of course, ergonomics and space utilization are integral part of the automobile design.
As far as I have seen, their designs have been cohesive and usable. It's been evident that Tata cars have been known for their space utilization.

When it comes to panel gaps, fit and finish. That depends the welding accuracy and tolerances. Those are handled by the engineering team and how much they want to refine it is purely based on how much they want to spend on it. It eventually depends on financial and engineering aspects on how much they want to spend on it.
puneeth2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
As far as I have seen, their designs have been cohesive and usable. It's been evident that Tata cars have been known for their space utilization.
I agree. My comment was a response to a post which suggested that panel gaps/space utilisation/ergonomics are beyond design team's responsibility.
Old 6th May 2021, 20:19   #65
BHPian

Autocar Professional mentions Pratap Bose while reporting about Mahindra's new design centre in UK. So, a great possibility of him heading Mahindra's design team.

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!-img_20210506_201656.jpg  

udaikalra01 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Autocar Professional mentions Pratap Bose while reporting about Mahindra's new design centre in UK. So, a great possibility of him heading Mahindra's design team.

Link
Confirmed:
https://www.carandbike.com/news/excl...dtv_topstories
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 21:01   #67
BHPian

Now, Pratap will face toughest challenge of his life. How to remove that walrus tooth from Mahindra Grille!

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th May 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Removed mod note
zalaps is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 21:09   #68
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting. I would guess there would be a non compete agreement or cool down period before he can join a competitor. Maybe Tata waived it off.
AZT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 21:31   #69
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2021 at 07:48.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th May 2021, 21:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I'd rather have every single Mahindra look like an KUV 100 than have that man working for a company I adore.

Well, even though I have said in the past that he is a bit overrated, he is definitely way better than that. No doubts about it. There's a reason Mahindra hired him for the job.

I think we should wait and have a look at his work in Mahindra in the coming years and then comment.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th May 2021 at 05:48. Reason: Unnecessary bit deleted
udaikalra01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 21:38   #71
Team-BHP Support

So much for Mahindra owning Pininfarina
ajmat is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 22:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Interesting. I would guess there would be a non compete agreement or cool down period before he can join a competitor. Maybe Tata waived it off.
I think TML fully understands it takes more than one personality to get successful designs to the market. While one cannot undermine Pratap's influence in TML's transformation, but of late I get the feeling of a horse before the cart scenario. i.e the Pratap Bose name has has become a brand in itself, good for him I suppose.

Also lot of uncertainty surrounds the future of Tata's PV division, or so I think. So why stand in the way of an 'interesting' career ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
So much for Mahindra owning Pininfarina
Pininfarina is a shadow of its former self. While M&M purchased Pinin for $28 million 5 years ago, it has been a huge drain on the Indian parent year after year. 2020 losses alone were 5 times the purchase price, so imagine all the capital down the drain following this Italian (mis)adventure!

As was discussed on the forum previously, last year Mahindra finally shut down the Pinin engineering division and lay off employees!

The last plan one heard was to use this acquisition as a premium automotive brand. A Pininfarina sportscar at more than twice the price of a LaFerrari, very promising.

Albeit creating a new design studio in Coventry is quiet strategic, close to Tata's design operations and an easy hunting ground for skills. I suppose Pratap Bose will have a role to play in team creation.

As with any M&M acquisition/venture, they all start out full of promise!

Last edited by shortbread : 6th May 2021 at 22:13.
shortbread is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 05:09   #73
BHPian

If true, really glad to hear the news of Mr. Bose joining Mahindra's design centre in the UK.

For one, I am a big Mahindra fan. But my stomach churned every time they came out with a new model. The over-the-top styling, ungainly proportions, unnecessary detailing, etc reminded me of earlier South Korean designs – later the irony of Mahindra buying Ssangyong Motors was not lost on me.

With their clean lines and surfaces, Tata's current line-up in comparison looks more closer to European designs - for me the Gold standard of car design. And I will give credit to Mr. Bose for the transformation. Take the Altroz – an absolute peach that would not look out of place on any European street. And the sales figures probably bear this out. Mahindra’s best selling product is the Bolero, an old workhorse, accounting for one-third of its total monthly sales. The Scorpio is a brand in itself and has sustained it’s initial excitement and loyalty remarkably well even though I have never been convinced about its styling and dimensions. The Thar is seeing early success – and I sincerely hope it does well. But none of the other designs and product lines have made an impact and can be categorised as failures – the KUV, TUV, XUV, Xylo, Quanto, and Marrazo have never had desired sales figures. And this is in a segment that is Mahindra’s forte and is the fastest growing in India.

For me, Mahindra is like Ranveer Singh. The guy with a golden heart, popular with the masses but with a misfit wardrobe. What it needs is a sharp suit.

For starters, what I would really like Mr. Bose to do at Mahindra is forge a Design identity – he has shown that with Tata and has experienced and worked on it in close quarters at Land Rover. Mahindra has the heritage and strong brand recognition. What it needs are cars that look the part. Just look at the new Land Rover Defender.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th May 2021 at 07:21. Reason: formatting for better readability
Anthym is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 07:54   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big fan of the man and his designs . Tata's loss and entirely Mahindra's gain. Mahindra's new generation products are well-engineered and they drive well (e.g. Marazzo, XUV300, XUV500), but their designs either don't stand out or are quirky. The 3 major influences on car purchases are = Brand, looks, price. Mahindra might have just nailed it on point no 2. It's a big, big move from Mahindra and I wish the two all the best. Hope they allow him creative freedom & don't let designs get spoiled by committees & bureaucracy.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 08:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What a victory for Mahindra! Have to say Pratap Bose managed to make a personal brand of himself at least in the Indian market. Seldom people cared about car designers, knowing the name is a far cry. But Pratap Bose has to be the exception.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks