Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?
Yes 260 73.65%
No 93 26.35%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 15:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?

Voted No. If it was for the whole thing about how the car looks, I would have still considered, but just for the component of grill, I'd not decide solely based on that. In my opinion, our expectation of grills have been fine tuned by the ICE engine based designs so much that anything out of the ordinary looks awkward to us. Tesla, when it came out looked like it was missing the 'mouth' because it didn't have a grill. Over time, I've grown to like the grillless (is that a word?) look and not having it has lots of advantageous like aerodynamics, maintenance, cost etc.

In another 10 years, I won't be surprised if the mass produced electric cars of those times completely give up on the front grill design and maybe even move around the headlights (single headlight like a bike ) to make way for better aerodynamics.
Old 29th May 2021, 15:44   #47
BHPian

While the whole ugly grille or not is purely subjective.

I do want to say, a lot of people just hop on the bandwagon and hate on the new M3 and M4 designs. Specially the M4 coupe. I think people should give it another look, it has grown on me.

The M4 coupe in darker colours looks just so good, and maybe I am imagining things but that front and the sloping roofline, gives it a fastback mustang like and very German muscle vibes.

Also, if it's good to drive, one can very easily forget what it looks like on the outside. Everybody (cars included) can have a bad angle or two. Not to mention these M cars are getting a manual, if that isn't a mouth watering deal then what is.
Old 29th May 2021, 16:35   #48
BHPian

Though I cannot vote,
In my case, i would not prefer an ugly grille car unless it provides considerable positives over it's rivals.

Many people i know have dissuaded their choices because of the looks of the radiator grilles( Read : CRETA)

While some ugly grille designs grow on us over time, i would like to add some designs (other than mentioned by OP) that I doubt would ever grow on us over time

1) Lincoln MKT

2) Chevrolet Silverado

3) Aston Martin DBS GT Zatago
Attached Thumbnails
Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-1570262834.jpg  

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-11.lincolnmkt.jpg  

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-11.chevroletsilverado.jpg  

Storme5257 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 16:41   #49
BHPian

I'd say no too, as the overall performance and feel of the car matter more to me. I certainly think large grills especially full of chrome are ugly, but if I love most other aspects of a car, then I'd be totally okay with the grill, and I'd even show it off to the whole world!
Oh, and hello everyone!

Last edited by Gaboonviper04 : 29th May 2021 at 17:04.
Gaboonviper04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 17:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

I got my Tucson in 2019 and hated the grille Hyundai gave as OEM.

I ordered this aftermarket grille from Aliexpress (It wasnt banned back then) and got it fixed. I personally love the look.

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-1o0a5071.jpg
AbhiJ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 17:47   #51

Voted yes

However,looks start to grow on you.For example I thought the M3 grille looked hideous when it first came out but now, I'm starting to dig it.Same goes for the new gen creta.So an ugly grille may be a deterrent but not not for long.
Old 29th May 2021, 21:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
I would disagree. The original S-Cross design looked too droopy in my opinion.
The new one has a lot more presence and the amount of chrome is also not excessive.
Looks are subjective. no? I like my vehicles subtle.

Frankly I see no real value of this 'road presence' on a car this size. You don't get your way like a Safari-Scorpio or Hexa do you?

Talking about the chrome, the wrap around does cause a prominent reflection. I feel it at times when I don't wear sunglasses.
Old 29th May 2021, 21:09   #53
BHPian

I personally like the BMW grills on the M3/M4 and the X7. It's a personal taste. Avalon, not so much. Specially for a car that's marketed towards the older crowd.
Old 30th May 2021, 08:49   #54
BHPian

Lots of hatred towards the new Creta’s looks & deservedly so. But it’s culprit is not the grille per se but the ‘squinty eyes’ headlights & DRLs which make the whole persona ugly. The same grille with a different shape of headlights set would have looked a lot more palatable. Same goes for the Venue.

Last edited by ScorpioYadav : 30th May 2021 at 08:50. Reason: Grammar
Old 30th May 2021, 09:57   #55
BHPian

The grills on Hyundai are absolutely hideous. One wonders if it was done to please the customers from the Red Dragon.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:09   #56
BANNED

I would have Voted No.

For me, the main points that I consider while buying are, driving dynamics, interiors/features, safety and comfort. The looks part would have contributed about 10% in decision making.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:34   #57
BHPian

Slapping super-sized grilles onto cars is just an acquired taste IMO.
Old 30th May 2021, 12:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The front grille of a car...
Voted Yes.

Except for BMW and Genesis (from the pack shared above), everything else looks point-blank UGLY. In fact, I try to find beauty in the so-called uglies too. But, this is extreme. The others, as I would call them here, have no regard for the human eye. And yet, the pointless number of hours put in designing them and added to the price package.

BMW and Genesis (again, from the pictures shared in this thread) shalt be considered Holy.

Amen.
Old 30th May 2021, 13:55   #59
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I cant get my head around to buy the new Creta for the same reason.
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 20:49   #60
BHPian

Humans have faces that do not reflect their true nature, and cars are no different. Unlike God or chance, designers were hired to make the car appealing to potential buyers. The face shouldn't be at odds with its appearance. Don't believe that accepting kidney face gives you the right to throw a whale or predator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks