Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?
Yes 260 73.65%
No 93 26.35%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 18:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?

The front grille of a car initially served a single purpose - providing proper airflow to maintain the cooling. However, over the years, the grille has evolved to serve a cosmetic purpose as well, giving many cars a distinctive and instantly recognisable character.

With the growing proportions of cars in today's market, the size of the front grilles has also grown to meet the design requirements. Cars today come with front grilles in all shapes and sizes. While there are a few grilles that integrate extremely well with the overall design of the vehicle, there are some which immediately stand out for the wrong reasons.

A badly designed grille is capable of completely ruining a car's entire look, to the point of dissuading potential buyers from it as well.

Here is a list of cars with ugly radiator grilles:

BMW M3 & M4

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-bmwm3.jpg

We cannot mention ugly radiator grilles without talking about BMW. The German brand's iconic 'Kidney Grille' got a massive makeover on the new-generation M3 and M4 models. While BMW has been slowly increasing the size over the years, the grille on the M3 and M4 models definitely turn things up to 11.

Lexus LX 570

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-lexuslx570.jpg

The Lexus LX 570 is the brand's flagship SUV offering and features probably the largest iteration of its signature 'Spindle Grille'. The grille not only dominates the front end but also comes with multiple horizontal slats finished in chrome. This combined with the slim LED headlamps at either side, gives the LX 570's front end a completely disproportionate look.

Toyota Innova (Old-Gen)

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-toyotainnova.jpg
Image Source (2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!)

The Toyota Innova might be one of the best-selling MPV models in the brand's lineup in India. However, its previous-generation iteration did have a rather ugly grille. Adding to this, the grille even came finished in chrome, further ruining the front design of the MPV.

Genesis G90

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-genesisg90.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis' premium sedan offering, the G90 is yet another car that needs a mention on our list. The Genesis G90 features the brand's signature 'Crest Grille'. The large grille comes with diamond-patterned mesh and tapers down to a point at the bottom.

BMW X7

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-bmwx7.jpg

Yet another BMW on our list is the current flagship SUV, the X7. The kidney grille on the X7 SUV, might not be as big as on its M3 and M4 siblings, but it is ugly nonetheless.

Toyota Avalon

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-toyotaavalon.jpg
Image Source

The 2021 Toyota Avalon is another four-door saloon that features a massive grille. The grille on the Avalon covers almost the entire front-end of the car, with just enough space to fit the headlamps and nothing else.

New Hyundai Creta

Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?-2020hyundaicreta03.jpg
Image Source (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

While the grille on the new Creta isn't exactly large, compared to others on the list. The design of the grille itself is subjective.

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 27th May 2021 at 18:11.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would ugly radiator grilles dissuade you from buying a particular car?

Voted YES. Looks are extremely important to me, how the car makes me feel and whether I can spend hours admiring it. No way would I buy a car that looked as ugly as some of the examples above.

If I was getting one for cheap in the used market, I would probably blacken the entire grille and hope the body colour was dark enough to conceal it.

But really, I only buy good-looking cars. Never one to compromise on the design or engine.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Grill is important part of the look of a car. When you buy a car, looks is first thing most of the people see. So obviously if grill is bad, it will hamper cars look. So if looks are bad, strictly I am not buying car no matter how good it is. But again, everyone has different taste
Old 27th May 2021, 19:23   #4
BHPian

YES!

First impression is the key.

I would not go for a car which doesn't appeal to me.

Grill being one of the most important factor in the car's facia should be atleast aesthetically pleasing if not very good looking.

Being a BMW fan, right now if I could afford that M3/M4, I would have gone for a Mercedes.
Old 27th May 2021, 19:26   #5
BHPian

I voted "NO" as a recent buyer of an S-Presso (for parents). The car is definitely not a looker, but it's practical and meets my parents' expectations well. I'm usually a practical person and my purchases are more function than form, so this is to be expected from me.

The Chevy Beat (Petrol) I owned probably taught me a lesson that a good looking car doesn't make a good car.
hellmet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Voted a No. For me, the safety, driving experience and handling dynamics matter. Looks come later. If a car ticks all the first must haves, then the grill plays no role in selection. Same with DRL design, gizmos and features that have very little practical value.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no.

Fact is that all the cars listed above have been moderate to massive successes in the market. Clearly, the people are don’t mind. In certain cases pictures don’t do the car justice. The Creta and the 7 Series, for instance, looks much better in flesh.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 27th May 2021 at 19:34.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No, but there should have been an option of ‘depends on the car.’

Initially these large grills will look horrendous but after some time they start looking decent and I feel that ‘change’ is very important somewhere down the line for an automobile manufacturer.

One strong exception is the BMW M3 and M4 it may have that strange face, one drive in it and the entire viewpoint of the car will change and the grill will be completely forgotten! Initially when it was launched, the grill was mocked by F80 owners, reviewers, general public alike. But one drive in it and those reviewers are going bonkers behind it!

CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely! Ugly grill and or front would definitely be a no go for me!

I like my cars pretty or at least visually attractive. Preferably from all angles, but front and side views are definitely important for me. And o f course any car with a crappy interior and dito dashboard is a no go. It doesn’t have to high end, it just need to look right
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

No. I hated the 2017 S-Cross facelift, liked the lauch S-Cross grill better. The original grill gave the car an understated look. My original plan was to get the pre-facelift 1.6, the perfect sleeper

The car still had lot of positives (for me) that outweighed the loud-garish-in your face grill, I purchased the 1.3 Zeta in November 2018.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:51   #11
BHPian

Voted Yes.
Front grille along with light clusters(front and rear) are two of the most prominent design elements in a car as far as I am concerned. While looks are subjective, prominent design elements definitely help form opinions.
Old 27th May 2021, 20:20   #12

Can't vote
Anyway if there is an option, I would choose the better looking. I am ready to sacrifice something else like fancy features or sunroof for the looks.
Among all the BMW grills were real shock to me but I think it starts growing on me.
But I never felt anything wrong about Innova.
The21st is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 20:20   #13
BHPian

Voted Yes even though I missed the poll.

But having said that, I feel the M3/M4 looks gorgeous. The rest on the list not so much. I'm surprised that people find them bad looking.
Old 27th May 2021, 21:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The old timers will say that a car has to be visible in traffic, it adds an element of safety according to them as well as gives the car road presence.

I prefer cars of that type, I'm not into understated , elegant and boring cars. What I did not like about Lexus in the past is what I like about Lexus now - the looks, they have really gone to town with the design in the recent releases, I would rather buy a lexus than a European corporate home appliance on wheels.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 21:50   #15
BANNED

Voted no.

Looks don't matter much to me.

EDIT: And a grill is the easiest part to change on a car. There are more Brezzas with a Jeep grill than there are Jeep Compasses.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2021 at 07:00. Reason: Typos
turbo is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks