Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Clearly you haven't seen Honda's pricing for hubcaps ��
Each cap is priced at a staggering ₹1788 per piece! I wanted to paint my rims black and get the OEM Black hubcaps. The SA was pretty sure it would be under 100 per piece. After checking the price, he himself asked me not to purchase them��
Looks like you have missed the intention of this thread. I'm well aware of the prices charged by different OEMs for hub caps. And neither is this thread made to bash Toyota. I'm well aware that a hub cap of Innova will cost that much and it's fine.

Issue is when Glanza which is nothing but a rebadged Baleno, and Toyota charges a premium for such similar spares over Maruti. I bet anyone buying a Glanza or Urban Cruiser never thought about this, but only went with Glanza/UC due to better warranty, service, lesser price and looks. Intention of this thread is to make people aware and have a healthy discussion, which we had.

And why corner only Toyota and Honda, some OEMs which are mass market manufacturers still price these hubcaps at a huge premium

OEM: Model: Part Number: Price

Hyundai:Creta:529603X500: Rs. 1651
Honda:WRV/Mobilio:44732-T4G-J00: Rs. 3014

Regards,
Shashi

PS: My observation regarding OEMs is that brands like Toyota/Ford etc charge premium over their not so commonly needed spares, while the regular consumables are cheap, cheaper than even Maruti. Whereas in Maruti most of their spares are affordable, whether they are commonly used ones or slow moving. I believe high degree of localization makes this possible for them.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am guessing since the volumes are lower
I think not, Toyota seems to be selling as many rebadged Suzukis as it's own models, if not more.
Old 23rd July 2021, 21:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Looks like you have missed the intention of this thread.
Sir I clearly understand the intention here. A generic 55mm hub cap barely costs ₹250 for all all four wheels.
What I fail to understand is why import certain components alone when their production too can be localised. An example here, the same hub cap, costs ₹1700 a piece. While a hardly abused part of the dash, is priced far too low. An example would be the silver trim on the dash of 4th gen Honda City costs about ₹700. And the plastic trim along the front door costs In hundreds.
Another experience of mine, I purchased OEM trunk liner and clips. The liner cost about ₹450 while the clips were priced at ₹60 a piece. Total bill was about ₹1200. The majority was for the clips! Same goes with bumper clips as well. I’m pretty sure bumper clips aren’t that pricey!
In return an average service costs about ₹6-8k at Honda authorised service center while it’s almost half for Ford and Toyota even though they’re pushing almost the same number of cars in a similar segment.

What I fail to understand is the discrepancy in pricing of various parts and the service costs!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 09:33   #49
BHPian

Honestly, I found Toyota to be most extravagant and lowest Value for money products in all their offerings in India.

It seems their only intention is to milk Indian customers by shining their bulletproof reliability keyword. Its been high time as they are the ones who have raised their prices high compared to other players in the Auto industry. Case in Point compare the increase of Innova pricing with Ertiga or other products from different suppliers.

It is too much a hype to call "bulletproof reliability" only for toyota.
I have not seen any car failing for decades be it humble Maruti 800, Alto, Santro, I20, Swift, Ecosport, Duster or any other car which easily lasts years without any niggles just like Innova. Barring some failed products or products with niggles most from popular brands do a good job of having a faithful 4 wheeler.

If you compare the margins that Toyota enjoys compared to others, you will feel its daylight robbery. Even the cost cutting is evident like Etios, such cheap plastics, poor dashboard and it too sells at a premium just because of hyped "bulletproof reliability" , which is no different than even a Swift Dzire costing lesser.

I somehow feel short charged and never even considered any Toyota for myself.

Last edited by xway : 24th July 2021 at 09:34. Reason: spelling correction
xway is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:10   #50
BHPian

Anyone who is capable of thinking objectively would rather put up with a so called unreliable brand than being party to this loot. The insane premium that Toyota charges for its own products in the name of reliability can be well spent on expensive spares in other brands. Unless one doesn't want to be driving their cars on roads, there is no objective reason why one would consider Toyota.. the recent JD Power rankings on vehicle dependability shows that the pecking order in the used market too will change in the next decade...Also as a maruti owner myself, I dont know whether to laugh or cry when people feel Toyota is better at after sales than Maruti...
Old 24th July 2021, 12:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
One doubt, please. Why these people are buying a shamelessly rebadged Baleno at an exorbitant price, only for the sake of Toyota logo?
I got one but genuinely not for the logo. The G trim was offered in 20k less than Baleno Zeta and was almost immediately available in stock. Also, I am not comfortable visiting overcrowded Maruti ASS (had painful experiences with Ignis).

Besides that, I was inclined towards the Glanza face (personal preference) rather than Baleno's dark plastic face.

In 20k less I got a better warranty, good face and no waiting period.
For parts, I am not that much worried as I have few friends in the MSIL parts business.

It's a silent spacious city car.
rajarshi94 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 19:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
I got one but genuinely not for the logo. The G trim was offered in 20k less than Baleno Zeta and was almost immediately available in stock. Also, I am not comfortable visiting overcrowded Maruti ASS (had painful experiences with Ignis).
A friendly advice- Avoid responding to such non-constructive comments.

People tend to think one can get good car ownership experience only if you buy "certain" brands. They forget that the ownership experience actually starts after the you start driving the car, the workshop service experience, availability of spares etc. You can buy a so called superbly built car but if the service support & spare spare parts availability are poor?

Most people who buy the Glanza/UC will got for it to avoid the mad rush on most days at Maruti workshops. As I stated earlier in the thread, the number of cars coming in and the workload on most Maruti SAs means they simply do not have the time to listen or address your concerns fully. If as an owner, I need better workshop experience at the same Maruti like fuss free ownership experience, what is so wrong in buying the same car from Toyota & why is this so hard for some people to understand?

Coming to the point of what Leoshashi has made in the thread, yes, it is hard to digest the fact that Toyota charges such high prices for the same part that costs a fraction of the cost at the Maruti. I spoke to a few people who worked in the local Toyota dealership. I was told that certain Toyota specific parts like Toyota hub caps, logos are sourced from Toyota's suppliers. Parts like hub caps are common on the Glanza, Urban Cruiser & Innova will also easily fit on the Baleno & Brezza. But the difference is that these specific Toyota branded parts are costlier than Maruti parts(like the differentiating parts like Logos, emblems, hub caps). As an example, I was pointed to the Glanza & Baleno emblems in the boot. Clearly the Glanza emblem is far more better looking & of better quality than the Baleno emblem and so it costs more. But still the pricing of the hub caps specifically is still hard to accept even after that explanation.
Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-baleologo.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-glanzalogo.jpg

At the same time, common spare parts that the Baleno & Glanza share like the Alloy wheel rim, headlamp cluster, mirrors etc & consumables like engine oil, brake oil are priced at the nearly same levels. The example of the Alloy wheel rims (common to Glanza & Baleno) priced at nearly the same levels by Maruti & Toyota confirms this.

Secondly, I checked the prices of consumables from the 10000 kms service of my Glanza & my old 1.2 Figo.

Figo
Engine Oil- Rs 1328.00
Gasket - Rs 47.00
Oil Filter - Rs 92.00
TTL- Rs 1467

Glanza
Engine Oil- Rs 1230.56
Gasket - Rs 7.00
Oil Filter - Rs 81.42
TTL-Rs 1318.98

The difference is consumables actually turned out be slightly cheaper than Ford and is simply not alarming enough to say that Toyota is overcharging. I assume even Baleno's service cost would be similar.

I suppose long term ownership reports are needed to judge if Toyota is actually overcharging on the Glanza, as compared to Maruti with the Baleno.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 24th July 2021 at 19:08.
skanchan95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 19:34   #53
BHPian

Didn't understand by what rationale you classify a doubt as "constructive"or "non constructive". I had my doubt for which a Glanza owner gave his very genuine view, which I understand. After all, the matter is highly subjective. But categorizing another person's post as " unconstructive" is somewhat uncivil, IMHO. I am afraid that is for the moderators to decide, not you.
Old 24th July 2021, 21:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
In 20k less I got a better warranty, good face and no waiting period.
For parts, I am not that much worried as I have few friends in the MSIL parts business.

It's a silent spacious city car.
I inquired about baleno and glanza from the respective dealers in Goa in mid June this year. I have two Toyota liva in the family and am very happy with the service.
Unfortunately the glanza inquiry got no call back from Toyota, even after a reminder. On the contrary the nexa salesman called within a few hours, answered all my queries, came to my office next morning with his manager, and I had a red Baleno Zeta within 10 days of the first call. Took it home on July 2. What waiting period?
filcord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 22:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
no call back from Toyota, even after a reminder. On the contrary the nexa salesman called within a few hours, answered all my queries, came to my office next morning with his manager, and I had a red Baleno Zeta within 10 days of the first call. Took it home on July 2. What waiting period?
Congrats on the new ride!

The situation varies from state to state (or rather city to city). In my case during Jan 2020, I was told 2 months of waiting for Baleno Zeta by multiple Nexa dealerships around Kolkata and they didn't provide a test drive either.

Whereas after a single enquiry call, the Toyota dealer sent 2 test vehicles the next day to my office and offered a fat discount too. I took delivery within a week.
rajarshi94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 07:29   #56
BHPian

Leoshashi's astute findings has "inspired" many online portals

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-screenshot_20210725062600_chrome.jpg

See the date of publishing...

Link: https://www.carblogindia.com/toyota-...e-parts-price/
Old 25th July 2021, 11:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Leoshashi's astute findings has "inspired" many online portals
Looks like they haven't understood the purpose of this thread, haven't read the meaningful discussions that followed and have jumped the gun to bash Toyota. It has been proved that only a fewToyota parts for the Glanza are costly as compared to the Baleno. The common parts between are priced at nearly the same levels.

P.S. In the article, they cropped the pictures used in this thread to hide the Team-BHP watermark. I recognize that Glanza alloy wheel pic to be from my Glanza ownership thread and the hub cap price graphic by Leoshashi. This isn't the first time such portals got "inspired" by such threads on Team-BHP and cleverly edited out the watermarks.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th July 2021 at 11:50.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 18:59   #58

Hello fellow BHPians. This is my first post so feel free to let me know if any errors have crept in.

Jumping to the topic, I have a friend who used to work at TKM. I remember having a conversation with him regarding this weird pricing of Toyota parts which I have experienced first hand with my Etios 1.5 Petrol. My annual service costs, average around Rs 3500 but a brand new bumper costs Rs 8000 (and it is locally manufactured not imported).

This is what my friend had to say - Toyota internationally has a ranking system for all its parts/spares, that is from Rank A to Rank F. He said higher the rank of a part (that is towards A), the more critical the part is for the basic functioning of the car or, that part is frequently replaced during the periodic service. The prices of these components are usually kept low, to reduce periodic maintenance costs and to prevent customers from shifting to FNGs once the free services are completed. The lower ranked parts are usually cosmetic parts which are not so frequently replaced. He was not ready to divulge into the criteria for classification of each rank for obvious reasons.

I do not know how justified this ranking/pricing system is in the context of the Indian car market, but this is what TKM seems to be doing even with the rebadged Suzukis.

Talking about localisation, even after 20+ years this is something TKM seems to be struggling with. During the same visit for the bumper repair, I asked the SA about these rocket high prices of some parts. He took me to a few Yaris' that TKM had stopped them from selling due to a quality issue in the clutch. Basically, the dealerships had to replace the clutch plate and a few other components before selling them off to customers (kind of a silent recall). He showed me the new clutch plate that they were about to assemble into the car. The plastic wrapping had logos of TMAP (Toyota Motor Asia Pacific, Toyota's Thai/Singapore subsidiary) along with the address of the supplier which was again written in Thai. The SA then told me that, though the engines and transmissions are assembled locally, a lot of the drivetrain components are directly imported from Thailand/Indonesia which obviously increases the cost.

I think (speculate), to keep costs of these imported components in check (which probably are also higher ranked parts?), TKM offsets the margins onto the cosmetic parts (though locally produced), overcharging customers in the process. Moreover, customers are more likely to shift to FNGs for basic maintenance but will definitely come back to the TASS for procuring cosmetic parts like bumper as they are more difficult to procure in the open market.

Having mentioned all this, I do not think it is right on the part of TKM, to overcharge consumers like this, specifically with rebadged Suzukis when it is known the high amount of localisation MSIL has.

Regards
scenario7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

And we chose to go with the OEM Suzuki Hubcaps on his Yaris with OEM Suzuki alloys:

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210727_121524.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210725_122342.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210725_122151.jpg

Will do something about the logo later. The Suzuki part is clipped and easily removable. And till that time, the Suzuki-Toyota marriage is anyways legal.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 19:15   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

We got two rims from Boodmo, while the other two are in processing. Here is how the car looks:

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-img20210728wa0020.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-img20210728wa0021.jpg

The side profile with Alloys looks awesome IMHO.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks