Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 22:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

This would not be an MGP vendor OEM supply as it is the same cap as the one on the Yaris.

Toyota would use the Yaris cap as it is interchangeable with the cap on the Glanza and hence use the pricing that it levies for the Yaris cap. Maybe there is a slight difference on the quality too. Check the price of the cap on the Yaris - it would be the same price as the one on the Glanza.

Yaris cap for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-8e5f6c3ad9ee40f8a04fecf952bff240.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 23:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Conclusion: The owners of these Marutis posing as Toyotas should be aware, they haven't just signed up for better service and warranty, they have also unknowingly become a member of the rip-off club. For parts that are common with Baleno, they can still opt for MGP and get away, but those carrying a Toyota logo will be charged heavily!
Being an owner of one such vehicle, The Urban Cruiser, this is quite concerning for me.
Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210610_134947.jpg

My father is not one who would take the car to a non-authorised service centre, so it could be quite a rip off in the long run. Although, I am quite sure that the general service parts won't be priced much higher than what Maruti charges. If we bring up the periodic maintenance cost calculator for both the Urban Cruiser and the Brezza both turn out to be quite similar.

In fact Toyota calculates its service to be slightly cheaper.
For example, I have taken the 40k km servicing of both when spark plugs are replaced, and it turns out the net cost for getting the car serviced at the Toyota dealer is slightly lesser than it would be at a Maruti dealer. If you notice closely the 400 difference becomes 600 for the parts if you remove labour (since Toyota is charging about 200 more for labour) meaning that effectively service parts are cheaper by 600. From the official service cost calculator of both brands:
Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210720_230525.jpg

Although these service cost calculators do not take into account many things and can be quite misleading.
It could also be the case that Toyota prices parts like brake pads (which aren't a part of these calculators) higher than what Maruti does and even a 10% difference through 100k km could come to a substantial figure.

I guess vigilant owners should check prices for parts of both the vehicles and buy ones that are cheaper and get them replaced at FNGs.

And in regards to the ornamental parts with the Toyota logo on them. Pay the price. Toyota thinks its badge has a ten times higher value and they are simply quantifying it seems . Poor owners would need to pay for them. The same applies to the difference in other items like bumpers too. Toyota made them look like the mighty Fortuner. Pay what would you pay for the Fortuner.

Quote:
I wonder if those Fortuners and Crystas carrying an eye-watering price tag, actually cost that much to manufacture or is Toyota just reaping benefits of its immense Brand value in India, Food for thought!
I think that's a known fact. Toyota has always been known to charge a premium and Innovas and Fortuners are quite profitable vehicles.

Although, quite, on the contrary, both Fortuner and Innova have very reasonable overall service costs for the respective segments they compete in.

But one thing to note there too! Last month I was comparing the part costs of my Crysta with DBHPian vishy76's Jetta. It turns out that the brake shoes of the drums in my Crysta are more expensive than even the front disc brake pads of his Jetta. He also went on to tell me how the Altis' compressor is more than double the price of Jetta's. So it turns out that Toyota parts aren't cheap at all, just that they last pretty long hence service costs are cheap but I guess that won't be the case with Marutis posing as Toyotas. Their parts, even if priced 20 times higher or 20 times lower would last not a second longer than in the Maruti equivalent. As I mentioned, either one should succumb to whatever the respective company is charging or try and find where you can save money. For me, it's going to be the former.

PS: I think we need detailed long term ownership reviews of these Glanzas and Cruisers. It would shed light on the differences in part prices with Maruti equivalents and how they affect overall service costs.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 20th July 2021 at 23:35.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 23:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
they haven't just signed up for better service and warranty, they have also unknowingly become a member of the rip-off club.
Something that I suspected from the time rebadged Suzukis came to the Toyota showrooms at a negligible premium over the Maruti Suzuki counterparts. I realised then that there was a catch somewhere. I remember in 2010 when I was looking for the hub center ornament caps for the Corolla, I was quoted INR 650 each. So this one at INR 832 is no surprise.

With pure Toyotas, I believe the dealer earns through outright sale and hence the low service revenue doesn't pinch. With re-badged Toyotas like the Glanza and the Urban Cruiser, they'll earn via the artificially high priced spares.

Quote:
I wonder if those Fortuners and Crystas carrying an eye watering price tag, actually cost that much to manufacture
My take on this is - yes, quality of components in the real Toyotas is top notch - and hence they have to be priced higher, but not as much as we see now. The Fortuner was priced right until 2011, while the Innova was rightly priced from 2005 until 2012. Post that, it's been reverse market skimming where the price only keeps going up even years after launch, since the company knows the sentiment that this brand carries.

I understand the trend with Toyota in the GCC countries is the same - overpriced !
vigsom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I understand the trend with Toyota in the GCC countries is the same - overpriced !
I've been randomly watching videos by Australian and South African reviewers of Mahindra's utility vehicles (SUVs, pickup trucks etc.). And they've also mentioned the Toyota brand's price skimming and why these Mahindras make sense to them now.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you install the MS parts, and if someone keen enough to notice, will start an auto related conversation
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

By buying the same Suzuki car re-badged by Toyota, the buyer is acknowledging the perceived value he attaches to the Toyota badge.

When the buyer himself is perceiving a value in your badge, when the buyer is buying the product just to differentiate himself (and not for good quality) what is wrong in charging for that value?

However, Toyota is expecting too high a brand premium IMO. For a hub cap costing Rs. 75 from Suzuki, I can pay Rs. 100-125-150 to Toyota. But Rs. 850? Sorry. Neither Glanza is a premium / luxury car nor Toyota is a social statement like Mercedes / BMW / Audi.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 21st July 2021 at 09:36.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Toyota's spare parts (accidental or otherwise) are expensive, very expensive, but, the regular consumables (which are required for service) are one of the cheapest in the industry.

A 40L SUV's service cost is in the approx Rs. 5K ballpark. My Swift's annual regular service costs almost similar. Try, a Mahindra or a Tata SUV's service cost, will be higher than a Toyota.

And this is something which I too never understood, but, cheaper service is important. For parts, we anyways have comprehensive insurance.
Sheel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The Etios during its model life was a top favourite for cab aggregators. Many of these are still in use especially in Bangalore and many a time I have boarded such cabs at the airport for reaching the city. Similarly, for the trip back to the airport I mostly preferred an Etios as its spacious and offers a comfy ride. If taxi drivers are fleeced by Toyota for spares vis a vis the competition, I am not sure as to how, so many preferred the make and model.

The Etios and the Liva were packed off by Toyota to usher in the rebadged Marutis. The rebadged Marutis are seen selling just slightly better, as compared to the two Etios siblings. Though Toyota's gamble with the rebadging is yet to show results, if they engage in such spare fleecing, the potential buyers could switch over to other brands.

MGP offers the most reasonable prices for spares and any such Toyotaish tampering with the sticker price would be glaring.

I believe Toyota needed to have rebadged Skodas, not Marutis. Toyota could then become the darling of car buyers with its "cheaper than Skoda" spares.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st July 2021 at 16:11.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thing is apart from the cosmetic bits, the core components in engine and transmission is same as the Maruti counterpart model. So one can head to the MGP parts store and get the required parts if the cost of the part in Toyota is more compared to MGP. In my view that is a killer advantage if the car owner is willing to leverage it.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:30   #25
BHPian

The Toyota cap and logos are key differentiator between Baleno and Glanza. Hence the price is justified, it may be also case Toyota cap has better quality while MS cap is of chrome plated plastic.
I believe this can be real rip off only if overall ownership is too expensive in long term.

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 21st July 2021 at 16:52.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

In first place, I really don't see any point in buying Glanza over Baleno just because it is sold by Toyota. When car is almost same, why to go for Toyota? Just because you think you have bought better car and better brand? Lol.

Toyota will definitely overcharge people for it's parts. Not sure same will happen in servicing and other charges as well. Better option is to go for Baleno only if you like that car. You will also get service anywhere with Maruti A.S.S. spread all over India, almost.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Toyota's spare parts (accidental or otherwise) are expensive, very expensive, but, the regular consumables (which are required for service) are one of the cheapest in the industry.

A 40L SUV's service cost is in the approx Rs. 5K ballpark. My Swift's annual regular service costs almost similar. Try, a Mahindra or a Tata SUV's service cost, will be higher than a Toyota.

And this is something which I too never understood, but, cheaper service is important. For parts, we anyways have comprehensive insurance.
Speaking from personal experience, Whatever Toyota we've had since 2005, Their service has always been a lot less than the other vehicles in our stable. Recently my Verna got serviced for 11K and the Crysta for 5.5K. Half the price. I was amazed to see the difference. Toyota’s are cheap to run but expensive when it comes to parts.
speedfreak77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
In first place, I really don't see any point in buying Glanza over Baleno just because it is sold by Toyota. When car is almost same, why to go for Toyota? Just because you think you have bought better car and better brand?
1) Warranty and discounts are better with Toyota badge
2) Speaking about some peculiar cases like service centre reach.

In the below case nearest Maruti authorized service centre is more than twice the distance of Toyota service and MASS service centre is approximately 20km away (Crossing the entire Tirupur town)

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-service.jpg

If the same vehicle is available at a lower cost with same cost of ownership with nearest service centre, why wouldn't someone go for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Toyota will definitely overcharge people for it's parts.
I'm living with 1.5 decade old Corolla & 85k on odo, regular parts are cheaper than a C1 or B2 segment vehicle.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 21:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

There are very few parts on which a Toyota logo is pasted (steering, front and rear main logos, hub caps). Those who get bothered by the spares pricing always have an option of getting Baleno parts at MGP pricing (apart from the ones with logos).

More importantly, how many parts are priced at 5x or 10x the price? What if the logos are the only expensive parts to such an extent.

Rest of the parts may have, only, say 5-10% price increment.

While it is an important aspect that Leoshashi has brought to everyone’s attention, I really hope this thread does not turn out to be a toyota bashing thread.

The low overall service cost of Toyotas such as Crysta and Fortuner are really examplary that can put most Rs5 lacs mass market to shame.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 21st July 2021 at 21:43.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:03   #30
BHPian

Honda takes it to another level.

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-honda-wheel-cap.jpg

My car's wheel cap was missing, so thought of checking in boodmo. Dropped the idea!

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-honda-wheel-cap-rear.jpg
jeygani is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks