Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 21:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-ext_alloy_0.jpg

Prologue: My brother owns a mid variant Yaris and we have planned to get Dzire's 15 inch alloys, since OEM Toyota alloys are so expensive. We decided to get Glanza's hubcaps to make it completely Toyota. At that point we didn't think much about the prices, since MGP Hubcap with Suzuki logo carries an MRP of Rs. 75. And it's not that they are of bad quality in any way. We thought Toyota's price would be similar if not less.

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-capture.jpg

Today I reached out to my local Toyota workshop, and I was shocked at the price quoted to me. Rs. 832 per piece.

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-20210720_180945.jpg

Essentially the same part as Baleno's, by perhaps the same Vendor, with a Different logo and price has been increased by over 10X! Well played Toyota!

Conclusion: The owners of these Marutis posing as Toyotas should be aware, they haven't just signed up for better service and warranty, they have also unknowingly become a member of the rip-off club. For parts which are common with Baleno, they can still opt for MGP and get away, but those carrying a Toyota logo will be charged heavily! I wonder if those Fortuners and Crystas carrying an eye watering price tag, actually cost that much to manufacture or is Toyota just reaping benefits of its immense Brand value in India, Food for thought!
Leoshashi is offline   (179) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:48   #2
BHPian

re: Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

Toyota is milking it's customers in the name of reliability and customer service. Such extravagant mark up is simply nonsense.

Would suggest to check the Etios or liva caps just to be sure.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Would suggest to check the Etios or liva caps just to be sure.
They are priced around the 450 mark. While higher than Maruti, that's still is fine since it gets benefit of doubt of different vendor, quality etc. Some caps by Hyundai(of Creta) cost over a 1500 bucks.

Being expensive is one thing, what got my goat is that essentially the same car, from the same assembly line, and prices vary so much due to just the logo!

To put this in the right perspective, hub cap of Corolla Altis costs lesser than Glanza's!
Leoshashi is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:58   #4
BHPian

Is it a case for only 1 part or is this the case for multiple such parts?
searacer932 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

The equation is simple. Toyota already takes a premium at the time of purchase and then again milks the customers in name of reliability and service. Typical example is the Fortuner, where you already pay a premium at the time of purchase. The good part is that Toyota cars never stop on the road. So as a customer, we can't get everything.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Is it a case for only 1 part or is this the case for multiple such parts?
The parts in charge at Toyota was earlier Insurance manager at an MSIL showroom, hence we clicked instantly. He said there is minor premium on most parts, for example 2 rupee trim clip in Maruti costs 10 rupees in Toyota. But he too was taken aback by pricing of the hubcap, since he was aware of how much Suzuki's cap costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The equation is simple. Toyota already takes a premium at the time of purchase and then again milks the customers in name of reliability and service. Typical example is the Fortuner, where you already pay a premium at the time of purchase. The good part is that Toyota cars never stop on the road. So as a customer, we can't get everything.
I agree and wouldn't mind paying a premium for "actual" Toyotas like the Fortuner and Crysta. But calling Glanza as Toyota and charging a premium for exactly same parts, doesn't make it extra reliable over the Baleno.
Leoshashi is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

You ended up picking a rare part that was changed by Toyota . I am guessing since the volumes are lower, prices are bound to be higher. While service/Maintenance cost of Innova are low, parts are exorbitantly priced. Case in point, indicator light of Innova costs 5K excluding bulb . This was the case with older Toyota products too.

Will be interesting to see price of say headlights, alloy, ORVM etc. wheels of baleno Vs glanza.
PrideRed is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:20   #8
BHPian

One doubt, please. Why these people are buying a shamelessly rebadged Baleno at an exorbitant price, only for the sake of Toyota logo? Had they exercised their commonsense earlier, they need not have been put to the present unpleasant situation of buying a wheel cap at thrice the original price. Letting that aside, this is clear daylight robbery by Toyota, amounting to an unfair trade practice, to say the least.
Ashley Nair is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
You ended up picking a rare part that was changed by Toyota . I am guessing since the volumes are lower, prices are bound to be higher.
Point! Still, how should it bother a Customer?

Quote:
Will be interesting to see price of say headlights, alloy, ORVM etc. wheels of baleno Vs glanza.
A BHPian had replaced Alloy of his Glanza. As per his Invoice, price by Toyota is Rs. 7508(MRP, after taxes).

While the same alloy in Maruti costs Rs. 7,290.

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-capture.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
One doubt, please. Why these people are buying a shamelessly rebadged Baleno at an exorbitant price, only for the sake of Toyota logo? Had they exercised their commonsense earlier, they need not have been put to the present unpleasant situation of buying a wheel cap at thrice the original price. Letting that aside, this is clear daylight robbery by Toyota, amounting to an unfair trade practice, to say the least.
I believe most of the owners were ignorant about this robbery. They went with Glanza due to better looks(subjective), better Toyota Service(fully agree) and better warranty(2 year/40k vs 3 year/100k) for same money. As a simple customer, in their own capacity they took a good decision, hence we shouldn't term them as fools.

But this should be highlighted and now people should be made aware so that they take an informed decision.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th July 2021 at 22:44. Reason: As requested
Leoshashi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

A BHPian had replaced Alloy of his Glanza. As per his Invoice, price by Toyota is Rs. 7508(MRP, after taxes).
While the same alloy in Maruti costs Rs. 7,290.
There you go, looks like it's just the changed parts that seem to be expensive. From customer viewpoint there is no justification but then that's a premium(without justification)you pay for T Badge. Lucky that cap has a regular T logo, had it been TRD, would have been easily costed 10K.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MGP Hubcap with Suzuki logo carries an MRP of Rs. 75.

Today I reached out to my local Toyota workshop, and I was shocked at the price quoted to me. Rs. 832 per piece.
MGP part with S logo was made in millions but the same part with T logo will be in few thousands, with no major difference in tooling and other investments. Obviously the additional investment will be amortized in the part price of T-logo part only.

Quote:
Think from manufacturer's perspective, how else can they recover the investment?

Quote:
A BHPian had replaced Alloy of his Glanza. As per his Invoice, price by Toyota is Rs. 7508(MRP, after taxes). While the same alloy in Maruti costs Rs. 7,290.
This makes sense right? Toyota is not milking it's customer as portrayed in OP. There will always be few model specific & low volume parts priced higher than the mass volume parts. It's quite normal with any brand and business.
Mr.Boss is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

If they price all these spare at similar or lower costs it is going to hurt them bad. Suzuki owner can easily spent just 1000 Rupees and convert their car to Toyota car that too with factory finish. They just want to prevent that by pricing these silly part 10 times higher than the original.
Latheesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
MGP part with S logo was made in millions but the same part with T logo will be in few thousands, with no major difference in tooling and other investments. Obviously the additional investment will be amortized in the part price of T-logo part only.

Think from manufacturer's perspective, how else can they recover the investment?

This makes sense right? Toyota is not milking it's customer as portrayed in OP. There will always be few model specific & low volume parts priced higher than the mass volume parts. It's quite normal with any brand and business.
Agree and from Toyota's perspective, it may be ethical. But people's opinion should change that Glanza is a Baleno with better service and warranty. They are also paying significantly higher with spares later, because of that badge. I guess this perfectly sums up the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If they price all these spare at similar or lower costs it is going to hurt them bad. Suzuki owner can easily spent just 1000 Rupees and convert their car to Toyota car that too with factory finish. They just want to prevent that by pricing these silly part 10 times higher than the original.
Will also discourage those Karolbagh conversions to some extent, First in India types!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th July 2021 at 22:43.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:45   #14
BHPian

As a current owner of a 2012 Etios Liva, I still remember during one of my initial annual service, I enquired about the Chrome rings accessory for AC vents. Shocked to know it was Rs. 1000 for a set of four which are basically plastic rings with chrome finish. Haven't asked rate of any accessory from since then. Ofcourse all that was offset with the reasonable service costs.
rajivr1612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
The Glanza costs only 5-10K more than Baleno. Sometimes with discount thrown in, works out cheaper than Baleno. For extra 10K you get 3 yr warranty instead of 2yr of Baleno and for people who feel embarrassed to say they drive Suzuki, you get a T Badge and lastly you also get more expensive alloy caps.
PrideRed is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks