Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 16:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the August sales data:

A bit more to the Sales Analysis:

Auto Industry reeling under the semiconductor availability struggled to provide cars in meeting the demand. The conditions could be worse in coming months as auto makers cut production for September. Majority of OEMs recorded a decline in Aug'21 sales when compared to July'21. India's biggest automaker Maruti Suzuki recorded a drop of over 30 percent in Aug'21 v/s July'21.

The upcoming festive season is expected to be muted and new launches are being postponed as the semi- conductor crisis is expected to affect most OEM’s.

- The market leader Maruti Suzuki Market Share dropped YoY and the volumes fell by 8.7 percent in Aug’21 v/s Aug’20.

-Hyundai India sales increased 2.3 percent YoY and fell 2.4 percent MoM. Hyundai's Market Share dropped to 18.1 percent in Aug 2021 against 19.6 percent in Aug 2020.

- Tata has been able to stabilize at the No.3 position. It gained the highest Market Share in Aug'21 over last year and has seen great traction for all its models.

- Kia regained the fourth rank and sales increased over 54 percent YoY and 11.5 percent MoM.

- M&M volumes grew 17.7 percent in Aug 2021 over Aug 2020 and was placed at the fifth spot in the ranking table. Will XUV700 help in establishing Mahindra as the Nr 3 in coming months?

-Toyota overtook the likes of Renault, Ford, and Honda to place itself in the sixth spot. Innova alone contributed to over 45 percent of Toyota's sales in Aug 2021.

- Renault sold 9,703 units of its cars in Aug 2021 compared to 8,060 units in the same period last year. The majority of sales for Renault come from Kwid, Triber, and Kiger.

- Škoda overtook Nissan to record 3,829 units dispatches! Can Kushaq help the group in sustaining this trend?

Highlights of Jun-21 dispatch figures:

- Maruti’s Baleno becomes India's best-selling Car. Baleno leaves Maruti’s Alto and Vitara Brezza to claim this spot.

- 6 of the top 10 best sellers were from Maruti Suzuki while Hyundai had 2 Tata and Kia had one each.
- Hatchbacks dominated with 9 models in the Top 25.
- SUV’s matched the hatchbacks in terms of models and MUV’s with 4 in the top 25 best seller list.
- Sedans had only 2 offerings in the Top 25 and were Sub-4m Compact Sedan - Maruti Dzire & Hyundai Xcent.

Largest segment (volumes) – Hatchback, highest Growing Segment -Compact SUV

August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-t125.jpg

August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-t25.jpg

- The top 9 models of hatchbacks contributed to 85K units of sales in August
- Hatchbacks and SUVs dominated with 9 models each in the Top 25
- Sedans had 3 offerings in the Top 25 and Honda had 2 models in this (City & Amaze).
- UV’s had 12 models on the list and volumes crossed Hatchback numbers too.

Top Manufactures for the Month:

Maruti Suzuki:
- Loses market share(temporarily) the most and is now at 39.8%. Growth is at a negative 8.7 % (Y-O-Y) and at 22.8% minus at a M-O-M basis. Expect this trend to continue in September too as the semiconductor shortage looms large across all OEM’s
- Controls 9 in the top 25, On average; the volumes were 10,417 units/car.

Hyundai:
- Hyundai has a Y-O-Y growth of 2% but in a M-MO-M basis shows minus 2 %
-Creta retains as Hyundai’s best-selling model and India’s No.1 SUV
- Hyundai controls 5 models in the top 25, and averaged 7,961 units per model.

TATA Motors:
- Tata Motors grows 51% on a Y-O-Y basis but is Minus on a M-O-M at 7%
-Tata Motors has 3 in the top 25 and Nexon is the best-seller for Tata and recorded dispatches of over 10k units
-Tata has been able to stabilize at the No.3 position and is now maintaining a significant lead over Mahindra/Kia.
- Tata has 3 models in the top 25 list and averaged 7,280 units per model.
- Tata Nexon did stellar volumes and ranked 7th on the list.

KIA:
- Kia regained the fourth rank and sales increased over 54 percent YoY and 11.5 percent MoM
-Kia had 2 offerings in the Top 25 and averaged 8,186 per model (which is still higher than Tata).

Mahindra:
- M&M volumes grew 17.7 percent (Y-O-Y) and was placed at the fifth spot in the ranking table.
- The other homegrown Indian MNC Mahindra too had 2 models on the list of top 25 (XUV300 & Thar)
- The Indian automaker had a very successful showcase of the XUV700 and is poised to grow significantly if it is able to garner volumes for the model.

Source: Data based on Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th September 2021 at 17:01.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:26   #7
BHPian

Of all the OEMs, it is Tata which has impressed me the most. Yes, their Altroz & Nexons consistently seem to rack 6k & 10k a month volumes now.

But it is the Harrier+Safari twins that are consistently posting 5000 unit numbers every month that is astonishing. To think that till about 2-3 years ago, people would have laughed at the notion that Tata could dare to invoice a vehicle for 20-23 lakhs & sell almost 5k a month!

And now with Mahindra joining the party with XUV700, it is likely to post such stupendous numbers as well!

The homegrown manufacturers have the confidence of aiming at high price segments & Indian customers actually rewarding them with sales speaks volumes about how the Indian economy in general & auto market in particular, has changed.

While foreign players might bring similar vehicles into India, they would have been designed on their shores while they are only manufactured in India. The Indian manufacturers, meanwhile, design & prototype them in India with Indian engineers. This builds an ecosystem for design & manufacturing.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
While foreign players might bring similar vehicles into India, they would have been designed on their shores while they are only manufactured in India. The Indian manufacturers, meanwhile, design & prototype them in India with Indian engineers. This builds an ecosystem for design & manufacturing.
I don't think all foreign players design vehicles in their countries. Cars like Kia Sonet, Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Toyota Etios were designed mainly for India. Some of them are made only in India and exported to other emerging markets. On the other hand, Indian players like Tata, Mahindra have design and technical centres abroad which help in their research and development. So it's all about hiring the right talent and working together.
CarNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

So we finally know what it takes to get Maruti’s share materially below 50% - a crippling chip shortage. Do think the erratic data in car sales we have been seeing for the last 2+ years will continue, making deriving trends quite challenging.

Think about it - we first had the Bharat 6 conversion linked inventory ramp down which destroyed the correlation between retail sales and wholesale numbers. Then the Covid lockdowns - which made comparing model wise sales and manufacturer performance tough. And now a chip shortage - with players trying to optimise limited chip supplies based on profitability and the need to preserve share in a segment. We may see material variations in coming months based on who has chip supply and where they choose to use the chips they get.

Amidst all this noise, the one clear trend is the success of Tata Motors - the Altroz, Nexon, Harrier and Safari are unqualified hits, and they could probably sell more of their hatchbacks too if they were not optimising chips for the more profitable models.

I do hope M&M is able to get chip supplies for the XUV700 and build on the goodwill generated by the phenomenal launch videos.

And let’s wait and see if Skoda and VW are able to use the supply constraints of their rivals to build a sustainable business around the Kushaq and Taigun - but it will likely be December before we can really discern that
Hayek is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:16   #10
BHPian

Ford India should come out with an official statement about their future plans, rumours spreading about their future has only dented its sales further. Can understand lower numbers for Ecosport as its facelift is due next month but for cars like Freestyle, Aspire and Figo doing less than 100 is just not right. Figo got automatic variant last month and even after that it sold 7 units in total.

Skoda needs to fix all issues in the Kushaq's initial batches otherwise this 2900 number would get back to 1000-1500 a month once things settle down.

VW still selling the Polo 1300 a month is just a reminder to them that if they launch cars which are mechanically sorted people will buy even though it is 2 to 3 generations older than its current competition.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:33   #11
BHPian

I wonder how Datsun and its dealers are surviving by selling 40 odd cars per month in total!

Is "0" Latin NCAP rating caused sudden fall in SWIFT numbers?

Harrier and Safari together posting 5K+ is a big feat! I wonder what would have been the numbers if there weren't so many niggles with the product!
Nexon doing so well with all those powertrain options - Petrol, Diesel and an Electric..
TATA's market share is going to increase further with the launch of Punch and Tigor EV.

i20 surprisingly making a come back with numbers better than Altroz.

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 6th September 2021 at 19:34. Reason: added more text
Old 6th September 2021, 19:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great to see Compass numbers increasing MoM. Fact is in a budget of 20 to 30 lakhs there is no good SUV which matches Compass, atleast from my perspective.

Endeavour is another strong performer. Even with the troubles and laid back attitude of Ford India it is still pulling in customers. With that bi-turbo engine and hopefully more clarity on Ford's future hope the numbers will go up. Endeavour definitely deserves to be on top with Fortuner on sales

So far Octavia is doing okay for Skoda. Previously they used to sell around ~ 250 in a month including Diesel which was highest in executive sedan category. Now with petrol only, it is not bad - mainly considering no sun roof and its in Superb pricing territory. Hope it retains that numbers monthly, as we cannot lose the best driving car below big 3 :-)
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 01:01   #13
BHPian

What truly makes me happy is the numbers done by Tata Nexon (10006), Mahindra XUV3OO (5861) and Jeep Compass (1173). It just shows that customer finally is appreciating mature offerings in good volumes despite having other offerings with better resale, fuel efficiency or size.

Ford seems to have lost the plot. It sold 7000 odd units in Oct 2020 but have reduced to just 1500 units in 6 months. Seems like rumours of Ford leaving India do have some strong backing with facts on the ground.

I would still hold my opinion on increasing or decreasing marketshare of other OEMs because of the chip shortage. It is not possible to do fair analysis about the demand in each brand/car with chip shortage forcing established OEMs to halt production for some days. But interestingly, Hyundai and Tata are consistently doing 45K and 25K as an average for 9-12 months without any change in the graph. Looks like either they have multiple reliable electronic vendors or they have accumulated enough to meet the demand in a balanced way.

Good come back by Honda with Amaze that has resulted in almost double growth from the last month. It will be interesting to see if it can hold these number in months to come.

Pleased to see Skoda in Top 10 brands with around 4000 units. Now VW/Skoda holds around 2.10% marketshare and with Taigun launching next month, their marketshare might rise to 4% and they will be in a good position to achieve their realistic target of 5% marketshare.

Off Topic: Over the last 10 years, I have always followed these monthly sales analysis/charts and inner me have always appreciated & realised how much effort it goes behind to put these graphs accurately. I am feeling lucky and thankful to be able to comment on these analysis for the first time and be a part of this discussion.
Sunderdeep is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 05:32   #14
BHPian

Most awaited thread monthly.

1. I20 trumps Altroz, waiting for the Twitter war.
2. Amaze has an amazing start again. Should help Honda sustain
3. OEM”s with chips performed well
Old 7th September 2021, 06:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post

Is "0" Latin NCAP rating caused sudden fall in SWIFT numbers?
This is indeed a fact. People have started to realize that Maruti vehicles are lighter compared to the Competition. My FNG mechanic tells me that a Swift Dzire is very flimsy that if someone leans on the doors or Bonnet, there is a possibility of dents. I am looking for a compact sedan and even the bank people are referring to GNCAP and LNCAP ratings when talking about Swift or the Dzire and recommending Competition.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Maruti. During my research for a new car I have interacted with lots of people. I love Swift and want to own one but for the weakness.
dsuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks