Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it

Just got my Rapid. Can I expect parts availability for next 10 years? I do plan to keep it for that long as of now.

I hope it should not be a problem given the manufacturer has not left the country (yet).
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Just got my Rapid. Can I expect parts availability for next 10 years? I do plan to keep it for that long as of now.
With over 100,000 Rapid customers, Skoda continues to supply spares for atleast 15 years.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-smartselect_20211030121706_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I hope it should not be a problem given the manufacturer has not left the country (yet).
Ofcourse. you still get parts for Laura and Yeti. The Rapid sold a lot more cars and if they disturb parts supply service centres will lose massive revenue from Rapid customers and worse reputation of the brand.

Parts will generally be available 10-15 years after discontinuation and even more.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wish they hadn't killed the brand and named the new car as Rapid second gen rather than Slavia. Rapid did not have any baggage or bad reputation. So why kill the brand ? An all new Rapid would have ensured steady resale value for existing customers. Growing sub brands is a key element of developing loyal customers.
padmrajravi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 15:14   #20
BHPian

A long, long time back, I bought Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI as my first car when it was just launched. I sold it after driving for ~60000 KM in 4 years because I have to move abroad. Now, even though I have driven many cars since then - and even a few from 1 or 2 segments above - Rapid still holds a special place. It had a very intoxicating combination of power + handling + build quality.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-csc_2682.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-dsc_0213.jpg
shobhit.shri is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:28   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Let's just hope that the Slavia doesn't have the teething issues Kushaq faced.

But at this point, I think a 1.5 TSI Karoq 4x4 would have been nice too.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:28   #22
BHPian

Emotional moment for me atleast.

Everyone complained about aging but at end of the day Rapid/Vento/Polo have set a legacy against which even latest platforms of other manufacturers today stand no where.

On one hand we owners kept hold of our cars waiting to replace for quiet a few years but not finding a worthy replacement but on other hand this wait also added to our memories, experiences, adventures with them which can only be cherished. PQ cars will be missed.

Some owners were definitely troubled and had a bad experience but those who enjoyed still trust the ABC pedals, body, chassis, dynamics, ruggedness, safety and take it anywhere characteristic of their 10 year old companion.

Hats off to VW group for wonderful Rapid/Vento/Polo.

Last edited by steadfast : 30th October 2021 at 16:39.
steadfast is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 17:50   #23
BHPian

Great car with solid handling & excellent steering "feel". Yes at one point the special editions were annoying, but this matte edition is a fitting goodbye for sporty sedan lovers out there.

With the discontinuation of the old model, Skoda have set up the Slavia nicely under the 15 lakh segment. Which means VW enthusiasts won't be confused with what to buy (old Rapid vs new Rapid).

Oh also, they should probably just call it the all New Rapid. Don't think the Slavia will evoke the same nostalgia or brand connection that the Rapid has even today.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 18:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

A tribute to the best C2 sedan on sale in my humble opinion.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-screenshot_20211030182612_facebook.jpg

We have owned almost all c2 sedans in our family, 4th Gen city idtec, 5th Gen City ivtec, Rapid 1.6 tdi, Vento 1.5 tdi and Ciaz 1.3.
Honestly the 1.6 tdi made the 1.5 ivtec feel meh.

The Rapid has always been close to heart and the goto car when one is in the mood for having fun on the highways! Strangely, it connected more than the Vento.

The car even saved my brother in a head on collision with a lorry at 70 kmph. For that, we will always be grateful.

A lovely car that proved to be an excellent all-rounder -
Reliable (1.75 lakh km)
Safe
Fast
Fun to drive
Very very comfortable
Looked classy
Excellent ergonomics (even for a big guy like me)

Adios Rapid! Just another gem lost. Always felt that the Rapid deserved more sales than I got.

I had a wonderful opportunity to own a Rapid 1.5 tdi in 2019, at a 1.9 lakh discount on the ambition variant. Unfortunately, I did not go ahead with the purchase.

Great car! If you own a Rapid, don't worry about the resale. Hold it as long as you can. That car just doesn't age at all.

Here in the pic, another discontinued car which I am not going to sell, atleast for another decade.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-51567822_10218879416244981_2849138264575574016_n.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th October 2021 at 18:33.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 18:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hmm. There goes the value of my Rapid in the used car market
As my first mental response, I had the exact same thought for my Polo. A moment later though I felt I need to cherish this car for as long as I can. I might probably end up holding on to it longer than I initially planned. Availability of spares plus the mechanical mod potential will probably keep me engaged a few more years to come. The biggest issue with the car I face now is it's seating position - a bit too low for my back. Maybe I'll strengthen my back

On similar notes to what others have mentioned, I hope Skoda-VW bring in the new Polo to the Indian market. That segment calls for a rather well-rounded product that the Polo has been for more than a decade.
MegaWhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even today Rapid is the car I would have bought below Kushaq / Taigun 1.5. The car still looks the best for me and has much matured ride and handling and fun to drive.
Having said that it’s the right time for them to pull the curtain and make way for new models
Old 30th October 2021, 20:20   #27
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

We have owned almost all c2 sedans in our family, 4th Gen city idtec, 5th Gen City ivtec, Rapid 1.6 tdi, Vento 1.5 tdi and Ciaz 1.3.
Hey man! A bit off topic but since you have driven both the 1.5 and the 1.6 TDI, how will you compare them in terms of their performance characteristics? Low end, mid end, top end etc.

I had driven the 1.5 TDI Ameo back in 2017 and was blown away by the performance. It did feel like a mini Jetta which we have back at home. Never got to drive the 1.6 TDI.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:35   #28
BHPian

A friend of mine bought Rapid 5 years ago. I have driven it twice for short distances only, but the way this car made me feel is something different altogether. The 1.5 TDI is so awesome and the little punch that it gives post 1800~1900 rpm is something I will remember for my life.

Lebe wohl lieber Freund.
abhi9044 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hey man! A bit off topic but since you have driven both the 1.5 and the 1.6 TDI, how will you compare them in terms of their performance characteristics? Low end, mid end, top end etc.

I had driven the 1.5 TDI Ameo back in 2017 and was blown away by the performance. It did feel like a mini Jetta which we have back at home. Never got to drive the 1.6 TDI.
VAG did a wonderful job in downsizing the 1.6 to 1.5 without any drop in performance. There is no tangible difference in the low end & mid end or driveability. I did find the 1.5 to be a little slower at the top whack when compared to the 1.6. The 1.6 definitely had a better top speed from my experience of pushing both the cars.

Offtopic:
Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-screenshot_20211030204516_facebook.jpg
We also had a Polo GT 1.6 TDI, which was even better

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th October 2021 at 20:46.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 21:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Dealer's survival and profits depend on the after sales services, not on the sales. There is no way company gonna interrupt spare parts availability if they want to continue their long set bond with their existing dealers.

Company stops supply of the spare parts when they start witnessing very low footfall of particular car models at the service station. And this doesn't seem to be the case with Polo, Vento and Rapid with those recent cars sold with 4 to 7 years of warranty packages which has kind of bound the company, dealers and customers with each other.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks