Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 12:15   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: November 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Some observations from Toyota sales, Endeavour's loss has not added any volumes to Fortuner. Whereas Innova's sales are on increase. I understand, there are not enough Fortuner's available with Dealers. This can be either due to shortage of parts for Fortuner or Toyota making higher profits with Innova resulting in prioritising of the same.

This also shows how companies get ambitious and venture and try to compete in the areas they cannot be competitive, had Ford restricted themselves to smaller operations and priced Endeavour at 25-30% premium over Fortuner just like Australian market, they would have been in business even today. Similarly, had Toyota invested in SUV/ MUV expansion instead of smaller cars for our market, we could have been producing LC Prado's or even LC300 not only for our market but for Global market.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

[/center]
I think we should mention 'Indian' proudly here instead of saying domestic. What say?

Auto market is clearly struggling due to chip shortage. Looks like it will take 1-2 quarters more to come back to normal.

In last 5 years, few things have changed drastically.

Good to see Tata selling 6 times more than Honda !!

Ford is out.

Toyota selling Maruti cars!! LOL !!

Ertiga + XL6 selling 10-12 K + consistently now and number 1 by great margin over Innova.

Nissan still struggling to get some market share. May be out soon like Ford.

Mahindra doing some catch up game now with XUV700. Tata went pass them by a distance.

Hope to see things improving in 2022.
aniketi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 23:24   #33
Team-BHP Support

As I’ve said before, in my mind, the top selling car in India is the Cretos (Creta / Seltos combine - which is consistently doing 19,000 units and thereabouts, outselling even the Wagon R on a combined count). Considering its a near identical product with mere badge sharing, it deserves the mantle of being the single largest selling vehicle in India.
The Venue / Sonet combined are again, in the same vein, a very respectable number.

The Crysta again shows that as big a brand as Toyota is, the Crysta is a giant in itself in terms of brand equity. An overpriced 2-3 mio Rupee MPV is going at 6300 clicks a month. Simply incredible.

Maruti of course is sheer predictability, personified in its consistent dominance.

VAG’s missteps in its 2.0 launch is showing in its numbers - it really should have been in a position to boast better numbers with the launch of the Taigun / Kushaq twins.

Mahindra I think can certainly edge closer to Tata than its sales numbers suggest thanks to its miscalculations on the chip front resulting in long delays in meeting demand for its blockbuster Thar and 7OO.

Thankfully we’re calculating up to two decimal places, thereby ensuring that Citroen earns a place in the tables.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:07   #34
BHPian

Luxury car figures: Audi has clearly lost the game.

November 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-rl.jpg
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
The most expected thread.

1. Wagon R climbs to No 1 spot
2. i20 beats Altroz by a big margin
3. Both Punch and Celerio marked decent sales
4. who on earth is buying that Verito/Vibe
5. Kushaq, Taigun & Astor can make better. Shows the importance of presence in Tier 2 & 3 cities
6. WRV is now a gone case. Honda has to bring its CSUV more faster than they think.
Those are E Verito figures probably . One company in my area bought 2 for local transport
Old 9th December 2021, 16:59   #36
BHPian

Baleno clearly asking for an update, has never been so low in the order in the past few years. Same is the case with Dzire, although sedans have in general gone out of favour.

Kushaq selling around 1,800 is kind of expected. Taigun is still in its launch hype period. Both these cars should settle at around 2k each in the long run.
Old 9th December 2021, 18:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Luxury car figures: Audi has clearly lost the game.

I am a bit surprised at these numbers. Maybe it's the pandemic , but clearly the so called upper economic strata are holding on to their purse strings tightly. How do the dealers survive this, I wonder because surely their overall costs are a bit higher than budget car dealerships?
Old 10th December 2021, 07:55   #38
BHPian

I’m sure there was a huge cake cut at citroen HO followed by a lavish dinner celebrating 100 units sold.

On a lighter note they do have competent products & should be on their toes & strive to have a decent presence in India.
Old 10th December 2021, 09:08   #39
BHPian

In the Indian auto market, the brands at the end of the spectrum- entry level and luxury, do not struggle much. Their positioning and customer value proposition is not clouded at all. The brands that are in-between- those whoaim for affordable luxury- are always in a soup. These are brands like Citroen, VW, Skoda, Jeep etc. The market does not accept their premium positioning very well, and the brands themselves do not accept that they are entry level in India (even though globally they may be nearly so).

Renault and Nissan realized that and have now started to fight it out in the entry level with competent products such as Kwid, Triber, Magnite, Kiger etc. At the sametime, there is space between the two ends, only if the products are priced correctly- like the XUV700 is, and the Tiguan is'nt.

The equation reads like this-

Brand= Pricing=Volumes=Resale= Brand

Will be interesting to see what's next for the mid level brands like Citroen. Clearly they have not learnt much from the struggles of their sister brand, Jeep in India
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 10:14   #40
BHPian

Creta + Seltos clocking 19000 units
Kushaq + Taigun clocking 5500 units

SVAG certainly have not got their spread of variants and pricing strategy right.

EPC issues, Poor noise insulation, bad roof liner etc have not helped either.

Taigun doing, better than Kushaq, all due to correction in variants spread.

Hope SVAG, learn better and don't goof up pricing of Slavia that is due in mid next yr. Correction in quality issues have been addressed as seen in first look details. They should note, CSUV is segment size of 20000+ units/month and sedan is only 5000+ units/month. DON'T GET GREEDY SVAG.
Old 10th December 2021, 10:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am a bit surprised at these numbers. Maybe it's the pandemic , but clearly the so called upper economic strata are holding on to their purse strings tightly. How do the dealers survive this, I wonder because surely their overall costs are a bit higher than budget car dealerships?
Actually as per market reports and general news, the wealth of non retail business owners and HNW individuals has actually increased during the pandemic. They are splurging more, but they many times go via in betweens, as an effort to keep a lower profile. All this, while I see your point that sales are lower than earlier.

But regarding the dealers, the main money making scheme is hardly ever the sale of a car. While no dealer ever makes a loss on a sale, their main money maker is after sales and servicing. This is true right down from the 2 wheeler showrooms to high end luxury vehicle dealers. They use the printer company model better than printer manufacturers themselves.

All the addons such as RSA and warranty are low capital high profit items that their sales persons are specifically trained to make it sound value for money. And the best thing is, warranty is a cash cow that keeps on giving. The main logic being, if one wants to keep warranty on the vehicle, they have to keep paying the high servicing costs of the Authorized Service Station, which is themselves.

I too understood this recently when I started digging into why Honda scooters was least bothered about making a sale for its 2 wheelers while the local dealer was getting all his stock from the Honda dealer's warehouse. Also, there are multiple authorized service stations for premium brands in my area without having actual showrooms attached to them.
Old 10th December 2021, 10:56   #42
BHPian

My gut feeling is that Maruti loss of market share is genuine and severe, irrespective of chip shortage issue. How do I come to the conclusion?
Couple of months back I was in market for a new hatch for which I had shortlisted Hyundai i20 & Tata Altroz. Ultimately I selected Tata Altroz.

During the entire process I visited Tata show room 5 times, right from reci to fixing number plates. Every time for reaching Tata Showroom, I had to pass by a Nexa showroom which is on the same service road as Tata showroom. On all the 5 occasions, without any exception, Nexa showroom was almost empty. On the other hand Tata show room was always bustling with people. Hyundai showroom though was not as “crowded” as Tata’s, had reasonable crowd inside. Though I must accept that that Nexa showroom was far larger than that of Tata’s. To confirm that it is not an illusion because of larger area, twice, I observed the MS showroom carefully and concluded that it had hardly any potential customers inside.

Had the chip issue been normal, Maruit would have larger dispatches, however, so would all the other manufacturers, so its market share would have taken a beating than as well.
BigB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 12:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
FADA released OEM wise Passenger Vehicle Market Share Data for the Month of November 2021 with YoY comparison.....
Thanks,

Looks like Tata and Mahindra are clawing back market share from Maruti & Hyundai.

Looks like Tata's CSUVs are working for them. Desirability has been crossed
Now they really need to focus on reliability and Service experience.

I would expect more aggressive safety related marketing in the coming months.

Mahindra is going through a cycle between flagship launches and XUV 700 is going to ring in a lot more numbers in the new year.

With Wagon R topping and Alto losing out, I feel Indians are expanding their budget and can afford better cars. I won't be surprised if premium looking small cars rule the roost in the next few years. That would mean Alto might lose more and more in the coming time to it's siblings.

Surprisingly Hyundai has not been able to challenge Maruti in the small car zone, in spite of having the knowhow.

Tata, with it's punch has actually made more impact in the sub 8L range.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:52   #44
BHPian

What's interesting is that S-Cross numbers are similar to the newly launched Kushaq and yet S-Cross is a failure and Kushaq is a successful launch. Such has been MSIL's stronghold on Indian market.
Kickdown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:24   #45
BHPian

Why is it that Hyundai is able to crank out 10000 Cretas month after month while Mahindra struggles to produce more than 3000 Thars (or XUVs for that matter) ?
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks