Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 22:18   #16
BHPian

Re: The next brand to EXIT from India

Isuzu and Citroen are the two brands that come to my mind.

It would be almost anticlimactic to see Citroen leave since they have only just entered the market but the numbers just aren't in their favour. The C3 might change their fortunes but seeing as how absurdly they have priced their maiden car, I don't have much hope.

Isuzu with their current lineup cannot steal anyone's thunder, period. It's a very lacklustre lineup despite a capable platform, their only hope right now probably being the transport sector. I hope they bring in the 2022 V Cross fast, that's one banger of a car with a brilliant interior, ADAS and the whole shebang. Would serve as an apt competitor to the upcoming Hilux.
MotoBlip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 23:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
I agree. This thread is pure speculation with little or absolutely zero substance. All of us have to die one day, speculating whose turn is next, is not in good taste and better avoided.
Thanks.
Statistically, a person with stage 4 cancer will probably die in the next 4 years.
Statistically, a company selling very few cars, who has ceased to invest continually, will wrap up operations. Unless they pivot, use a lot of leverage, invest heavily and make a turn around.

I do not disagree that people are not speculating, but it is possible to objectively talk about who may do well, and who is doomed, in the next 5 years.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 23:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this thread is a good candidate to be converted to a poll.

Agree with the previous posts - most likely gonna be Honda or Isuzu from the mass market space. But then will we really miss anything? They don’t want to launch any new products but keep revising the prices on the same models. Isuzu had a golden opportunity here after Ford’s exit, but guess they are not really keen on pushing the MUX.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 00:30   #19
BHPian

While there are speculations on brand , I strongly believe it's - a drivetrain that has seen consistent and silent exits in the below 30 lakh segment .
When we start looking for the AWD/4WD drivetrain , we realise, a number of brands have sheepishly taken down this variant from their lineup. For a customer having a little itch for mild offroading , the following cars are only available as a pre-owned one's :

1. Duster AWD
2. Scorpio 4WD
3. XUV 500 AWD
4. Hexa 4WD

While I have booked an AWD version of XUV 700 , I am really worried of this variant meeting the same fate . As discussed on the other threads , although the AWD could have been a USP for XUV700 , it was never highlighted in the marketing ?
D_Security_Guy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 03:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Renault surely isn’t going anywhere. Infact Kwid+Triber+Kiger combined have given them their strongest stand in Indian market after a long time. If only they could revive the original compact SUV duster with modern interiors

Honda India seems to have some flutter at the upper echelon but I don’t think its exiting like Ford.

The next brand to EXIT from India-b9779a1d333040ee869999b98baecd0d.jpeg

But it’s indeed high time they brought that much needed SUV. Their brand recall is such that they can actually dare to price it along the koreans and still get away with it, but only if they decide to bring anything from global portfolio
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 08:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Without knowing financials, it's hard to predict a company's fate just by sales. Ford was making loss year after year. As I recall just before Sanand plant, they did profit for couple of years but 20+ years in India, they made huge loss.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 08:41   #22
BANNED

These sort of guessing games are best not done on a website such as team bhp.

Report issues faced - quality of service, lack of spares, unresponsive manufacturer, dealerships closing down etc but it is best not to forecast closure before it happens.

A downward slide does not necessarily signal the end of any company. Manufacturers can change their approach and improve operations after going through a lean patch.

Few years from now, if none of the named companies have exited India, this thread will be viewed as something that was best avoided. (to put it politely)
EV NXT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 09:15   #23
BHPian

I think we at T-BHP should stay away from such speculative threads, lest we also play a part in the demise of auto brands in India. We have to remember that the more competition, the better are our choices.
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 09:26   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
I think we at T-BHP should stay away from such speculative threads, lest we also play a part in the demise of auto brands in India. We have to remember that the more competition, the better are our choices.
If general opinion & speculation is to be taken out, most of the forums in the world will have to "stay away" entirely. The concept of forum largely depends on people's opinion, not just statistics and scientific facts. The forum should moderate and weed out poor intent, offensive content etc which happens quite well on TBHP. Blocking speculations may be a bit too aggressive. Then its more of a media-publication rather than an open forum.

If I were in office at these car-makers, I'd closely watch threads like these as well, to get some more idea of what people on the ground are thinking.
Reinhard is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 09:38   #25
BHPian

Should we be discussing "Which brand/model will enter the Indian market next?". Wont that be interesting to know . BYD and some other chinese companies have been known to test the water and thanks to Ford/GM we do have readily available manufacturing sites available
Old 14th December 2021, 09:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I see nothing wrong with speculating on which automaker will exit next. After all when a major manufacturer exits, they leave a lot of people without jobs and a lot of customers without service support. Personally, I don't think forums like ours exist to provide moral support or a boost to auto brands and manufacturers. (They have multi-crore budgets for that!) Quite the opposite! We are one of the few (if not the only) non-biased sources of information on the Indian auto scene. As such, we need to hold (in our small way) auto brands accountable, or at least provide a warning to potential consumers.

(And I've seen this championing of big brands on other threads as well - why provide free PR for multi-million dollar companies?! The biggest strength of independent forums like this is to provide some voice to the independent consumer - no one else will considering the paid media 'reviews' and weak consumer protection laws!)

Having said that, I think the way Honda is just about doing lip-service to their 4-wheeler brand in the Indian market, they're probably next! (Quite a contrast to the good work happening with their 2-wheeler brand here.)

Last edited by am1m : 14th December 2021 at 09:57.
am1m is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 10:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault - Nah. They are doing well I guess, though IMO they have become more budget brand than even Maruti. No diesels will definitely affect them in lau8nching bigger models than it is affecting VAG.

Honda - Nothing is holy, but Honda is well trenched as a brand in India across different sectors. If I am right, India is (was?) the largest market for the City. Just bring in the City hybrid and any of the high riders bang against the Creta.

Nissan-Datsun - Kinda like the Magnite. But I am still impressed by the number of Datsuns and Magnites on the road. Not the models, but the customer who dared to buy them Nissan should be proactive and launch new models, riding on the success of the Magnite.

Citroen - Let them launch the C3 before we write them off.

Isuzu - If Toyota launches the Hilux, then it is game over for Isuzu. Lifestyle or commercial. Things would have been different, if Isuzu went ahead with the RU30 MPV project bang against the Innova. But, Isuzu is a finacially strong company. They can very well stay and try their luck.
DicKy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
I agree. This thread is pure speculation with little or absolutely zero substance. All of us have to die one day, speculating whose turn is next, is not in good taste and better avoided.

Thanks.
A person dying is not equivalent to a corporation deciding to not operate in a particular country because they consider it unprofitable.
karanddd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:47   #29
BHPian

I don't know about Honda but I strongly feel that VW group is going to exit India soon. Why? Because Maruti is preparing to bombard the compact SUV segment and take some share away from Hyundai/Kia but VW with Kushaq/Taigun will suffer the most. Polo is already dying and we have no idea if VW is going to get the new generation Polo here and I doubt Slavia is going to make any difference in the ignored sedan segment.
CarNerd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Companies will exit India only when they are making losses. No business can be run in loss for long time. After all business is all about making profits. I guess Honda making losses for last 2-3 years in India. They can also think about exiting India. After selling Innova and Fortuner at such a high cost also Toyota is making losses. If things continue similar way for next 2-3 years, they might think of exiting India as well.

Nissan India is not making good business but I guess they are exporting good amount of cars. It may help them in surviving here. Same with Renault I guess. If companies export good amount of cars from here, they will definitely survive. India is still cost effective when it comes to mass production compared to Europe or US.

Hope no more companies exit from here as I want all good cars running on road and we should have plenty of choices. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited by aniketi : 14th December 2021 at 11:58.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks