Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 12:50   #31

Re: The next brand to EXIT from India

Renault-Nissan should do fine. They are selling as fast as they're making their cars, the factory is running three shifts, and the number of dealerships and service stations is growing. In addition, if I remember right, they also export some of what they make in India. I don't see them exiting anytime soon. If anything, they have a good platform - low cost and with good safety, and they should find more ways to milk it.

Honda - I'm with the majority of the answers here. Sedans are being passed over for SUVs, there are no new products other than the City, and their other products don't sell much. Unless they change their gameplan, they'll continue sliding
vishys is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What a total waste of a thread. These decisions are taken in the global headquarters of companies and none of us can even remotely guess what goes on there. Its not just the sales performance or the status of the company in India but rather global factors which would influence the decision to completely pull the plug on operations in a country or region. Ford was doing better than many other manufacturers here and yet they decided to quit. Nissan and Renault even though they have never tasted long term success still put the efforts to bring in new products to the market. Similarly, when a few years earlier VW and Skoda were on a downward trend, the Global HQ still decided to pump in loads of money for their India 2.0 project.

Hence, I believe we should stop speculating based on who is doing well or not. If the Toyota management decides to pull its plug in India, it can still happen. The only manufacturers who can completely decide on their own IMO is Tata, Mahindra and also Maruti, since there can be a situation where Maruti can exist independent of Suzuki. But for the rest, all depends on what the HQ says.
audioholic is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

This article gives a good insight into Ford's exit; also to the Indian market.
https://www.autocarpro.in/analysis/a...in-india-80132

An extract:

Quote:
With Ford, it was a classic case of spending where it didn’t benefit the customer and cutting corners where it does. Case in point is the Sanand plant which was built like a ‘Taj Mahal’ to costly global specifications, some of them of no relevance to India. Why waste money on building a structure to take a gale force rating of 9 just because Ford’s plants in America (hit four times more by tornados than any other country in the world) are built that way? Why spend 6-7 times more on forklifts (a plant needs lots of them) than what Mahindra or Tata would just because they meet Ford’s global standards? It’s this sort of mindset, of blindly following an expensive global standard, howsoever irrelevant it maybe, that throws costs out of whack.
Poitive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:50   #34
BHPian

I do not think Renault will quit so early, they have decent product under there hood kwid ,Triber and Kiger selling in decent number to keep them afloat.

Fate of Nissan depends on 'Magnite' , if it survive the competition along with Nissan bringing something new it might save them getting vanished, on a side note I am seeing good number of Kick on road.

Honda except City and some number from WRV, Jazz does not have anything existing, while researching for a new vehicle I likes WRV but with no automatic it was dropped Jazz was no no to me because of its dated looks and dash hitting my knees else its a good package overall with CVT and paddle shifter..
nitin_knw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post

What do you think? Isn't this a reminder and notice to potential customers/buyers of these brands?
I'll bet for Honda, with all the downsizing they've done w.r.t. products, operations and workforce[Guess who just offered their employees a third VRS scheme] I cannot certain one reason to not think that Honda is going that way.

Someone can also make an argument that they might be planning a turnaround and might even make it but, I seriously for one cannot deduce so, whatever maybe the case.

So, Honda it is for me.
pgoyal1996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:58   #36
BHPian

In my humble opinion I predict that next brand to exit India would be the global Japanese conglomerate Honda Cars, their activity in the Indian Automotive Scene is the quietest among other competing brands also their behaviour towards Indian market for perhaps last 5-6 years isn't exactly confidence inspiring, once a premium and aspirational brand and being the de facto choice among premium urban clientele and HNIs they lost their focus and stopped selling their premium cars from global portfolio in India and when they did launch their successors their strategy was screaming DOA, I mean the cars like the new Honda Civic, CR-V and Accord Hybrid lacked that essential Fun to Drive element that people loved about Hondas and were priced eye-waveringly high, I mean why they launched the Honda CR-V with a puny 1.6 i-DTEC engine in a lower state of tune producing just 120PS that too at 40 odd lakhs?!, at a time when Ford was retailing the Endeavour with a 3.2L engine with 200PS, even the Hyundai Tucson which at almost 10 lakhs less offered an excellent 2.0 CRDi engine with 185PS and people said that was overpriced! Same case with the Civic and Accord Hybrid, I have no comments for the same.

Team-BHP also reported that they are increasingly reducing staffs by VRS scheme, also no new model has been launched since the gen 5 City, I don't refer the Amaze facelift as new model.

PS- I'm a diehard Honda fanboy and in fact my high school crush was the 8th gen Civic. By looking at lacklustre attitude of Honda towards India, I have tried to establish a case study and have expressed the same on the Team-BHP thread, Honda India-The way forward, do have a look, thank you!
Tony2298 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

I fear for Honda & Jeep to be honest, more so for former.

Reasons & rationale (s) are already discussed in this group. From my side I would rather not step in Honda showroom for it's already downgraded itself from CRV to WRV & Accord to Amaze. Jeep lineup is nothing barring one trick pony, though the magnetic pull of Compass is strong enough & I'm actively looking for vehicles in this segment.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 14th December 2021 at 15:00.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:00   #38
BHPian

Below 2 company I'm afraid might exit. Reasons below:
Honda
* Closed its Greater Noida Factory.
* 2 Top executives have already resigned.
* Honda is barely surviving from the sales of just 2 products - Honda Amaze and Honda City. Of these, City's sales are already dented by C-SUV segment and will be further affected by launch of Slavia and Virtus.
- Jazz and WRV are already almost dead in their respective segments.
- This after 25 years of presence in India!
* Already reduced its product lineup by stopping Honda Civic and CR-V.
* No new product launched for quite some time. No new investment. No Game plan or strategy ( at-least from what we can read ).
* Launch dates of new Product keep getting postponed. Buying time before exit?
- Earlier planned C-SUV was axed and a newer platform based on City was planned. This bought them 2 more years.
- Honda City Hybrid's launch date keeps getting postponed.

Having owned Honda City for 5 years, I really love Honda ( even though they have reduced the build quality in newer versions ) for what it offers and its reliability. I really wish they stay, introduce newer ( and better ) products, revive Jazz and WRV, re-introduce Brio, Civic and CR-V.
However, I think Honda is just waiting for right time to exit.

Datsun
* Datsun sales are already minuscule. They are already almost dead.
* Although this won't count as a brand exit since Nissan is still here. But Datsun may be axed anytime.

Apart from above list, I don't think any other company is going to exit. My reasons below:
VW / Skoda :
* They recently invested heavily in India 2.0 and SUVW.
* They have a game plan, strategy and target ( targeting 5% market share by 2025 ).
* 2 new products launched ( Taigun and Kushaq ), 2 more about to be launched in near future ( Slavia and Virtus ) and 4 more in pipeline ( New Polo, New Fabia and 2 sub 4 meter SUVs ). And maybe 2 sub-4 meter sedans.
* I don't think they are going anywhere for at least next 10 years.

Toyota
* That sweet deal with Maruti and Suzuki will keep them alive and kicking for new few decades.

Citroen / Jeep
* They have just started.
* They have products in pipeline for C-SUV ( Creta segment ) and Sub-4 meter SUV.

Renault / Nissan
* I think they are doing just fine.
* The sales of Magnite, Kwid, Kiger and Triber are sufficient for them.
rAijin_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:11   #39
BHPian

Renault/Nissan/Datsun will not exit considering the recent investment they made on Triber,Kiger & Magnite. Most importantly they all are doing good numbers as they expected (Nowhere these cars are readily available due to chip shortage, so they are selling what they are producing)
Also, their one and only plant in Chennai is doing fine with moderate levels of export and local sales, the only pain they would suffer will be the recent chip shortage and pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I hope none will exit India in future. Mentioning some brand names in a reputed website like Team-Bhp based on some rumour or assumption is not right. I hope people will continue to purchase these brands and they will not lose any sales because of threads like this.
I go with @ANB in this, considering the penetrating power of TBHP among buyers, putting up a thread with a Brand's name and most importantly with thumbnail in the Hot Topic will misguide/misinform future buyers/current owners.

We can have a poll and a generic title to the thread than targeting a particular brand.
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 16:49   #40
BHPian

It never occurred to me before, but the alarming number of posts predicting Honda's exit is quite telling!

I for one, don't want to see any other car maker exiting India. We have had enough exits and we only have very few left that do any meaningful sales.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 17:40   #41
BHPian

I am not very sure but have a feeling VW / Skoda maybe next to end stint in India. I had a VW Finance loan which was recently assigned to Kotak Mahindra.

Their new made in India products are giving problems, they do not offer the entire range of products in India and their USP which was diesel is now not on sale.

The other Company that looks weak is Honda for the reasons already mentioned by multiple other members.
BHPjunkie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 17:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Apart from ISUZU, I think Honda is next to quit. I too will be very sad if Honda exits - they have some fantastic machines.
What exactly is the industry doing to retain/grow the market? I dont see much. In fact they are killing it. The tax structure is very high and the likes of Maruti have mastered the (cheap) art of being profitable which the american/european manufacturers cant/wont emulate. The Govt needs to encourage hybrids and help grow this, not just pure electric. Else only Toyota-Maruti, Tata and Hyundai-Kia will only be left soon + CBU/CKDs only.

Last edited by Equus : 14th December 2021 at 17:53.
Old 14th December 2021, 17:52   #43

I have to agree that, among the major players, it looks like it is going to be Honda. Just look at the number of models that have been discontinued, without a replacement, lately - CRV, BRV, Mobilio, Accord, Civic, Brio. Shockingly, despite the thin portfolio, they have no plans to introduce any new model in 2022. The Jazz and WR-V are barely managing sales of a few hundred a month. The two models that are contenders are in a segment that is rapidly shrinking.

Their positioning is increasingly confused. They have dabbled in the mass segment with the Brio and failed. The premium segment CR-V and Accord have also flopped. They have been surviving mostly on the goodwill of the Honda City legacy.

To round off the argument, Honda is fairly strongly positioned in far more lucrative international markets and , despite the significant historical investments and tenure, their Indian operations and ambitions are relatively the least significant in comparison to the other global auto majors. If I were sitting in their global HQ, I would be wondering what the point of continuing is.
colcol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Now, this is really confusing or rather funny. People judging a company's fortunes by the no. of cars they spot on the roads. I am not sure how many cared to take a look at the financials of any brand. Sales nos. are like short skirts, they reveal a lot but show nothing. So, let's exercise some caution when we make statements on global/Indian brands.

Brands fade when they do badly or perform poorly. But brands also fade when they fail to meet the demand of the market. If anyone can recall, there was this superb toothpaste called Cibaca. Can anyone recall why it's history now? They simply failed to meet the demand of the market. The point I am trying to make is, the insane waiting periods are going to do no good for any brand. The XUV7OO, Thar, Creta, Seltos and even normal cars like the Sonet/3OO have too long waiting periods. I don't think that will do any good for brands in the long run. I read the XUV7OO's delivery for current bookings will be in 2023. Does that even make any sense? Why should someone wait for 2 years to buy their vehicle? I know many of my friends who just steered away from really good cars because they have insane waiting periods. That is clearly a loss for any brand. A customer not considering you because you cannot honor his demand quickly. SAs in showrooms boasting of waiting periods of cars as if it was the USP of the brand is foolishness, that is a company's weakness rather than their USP.

Last edited by Raghu M : 14th December 2021 at 19:27.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:43   #45
BHPian

Isuzu was never a mass-market brand.
So the even slightest effort by its management is more than enough to sustain the brand in India. Isuzu is almost an export-oriented brand in India with an optimal focus on the sales numbers in India.

However, it is not the case with Honda which is a mass-market brand in India.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks