Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 19:33   #1
BHPian

The next brand to EXIT from India

Isn't this the automotive scenario of India
1. Chip shortage situation leading to manufacturing challenges leading to delivery difficulties,
2. Model line-ups not giving options to choose from
4. Weak/No Investment commitment or roadmap

I think these are some of the potential OEMs that are next to exit India.

1. Nissan/Datsun
2. Renault
3. Honda

What do you think? Isn't this a reminder and notice to potential customers/buyers of these brands?

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 13th December 2021 at 19:53.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 19:38   #2
BHPian

Re: The next brand to EXIT from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
2. Renault
I don't have much knowledge but isn't Renault selling Kwid in good numbers? Infact even we considered kwid for short amount of time before finalizing S-Presso. On road I see so many Kwids at least in area around me.
raksrules is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 19:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I don't have much knowledge but isn't Renault selling Kwid in good numbers? Infact even we considered kwid for short amount of time before finalizing S-Presso. On road I see so many Kwids at least in area around me.
In that case, Ford was also selling in good numbers - Figo, Freestyle, Aspire, Ecosport, Endeavour - and Ecosport was doing great.
Similar was the story with GM/Fiat where Beat-Optra-Cruze/Punto-Linea was doing good numbers even if not top sellers.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 13th December 2021 at 19:47.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:00   #4
BHPian

What about Honda ?

I believe they lack 'USP' for each and every product on sale today.

Not long ago, Honda City used to be a dream car for middle class Indians, which now is Creta / Seltos.

Jazz, WR-V needs serious powertrain upgrades.

Its 2021, very few people prefer sub-4 meter compact sedan(Amaze) over more practical SUV options.

MOD NOTE : - Please punctuate with proper spaces.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th December 2021 at 19:46. Reason: Mod note attached.
AjinkyaP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:05   #5
BHPian

This might sound silly but if Honda doesn't come up with anything good soon, they might as well start searching for the exit sign. The brand hasn't "WOW"ed anybody since eons.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Technically on name-plate value, Renault, Datsun & Nissan - all have newer cars on sale today, compared to Honda. Kwid/Climber, Triber, Kiger, RediGO, Magnite, Kicks - all are far newer in our market, compared to what Honda has on sale. Barring the newest face-lift of the City (yeah they call it all new generation) - everything is just nips and tucks since years now. Heck, they even have 2 generations of the City on sale in parallel, probably just to make up more numbers as there are not enough models to add. The City has been pulling Honda forward for too long now, and needs support in the right segments.

So if product line-up significance to our market needs is the metric to apply - Honda seems the #1 probability from your list of entrants for exit. The models are too long in the teeth and competition has moved a long way ahead. Honda for all its worth, is practically just Suzuki now. Selling decade old models with same stuff without any significant upgrades, just because the people are ready to buy for brand. Suzuki at least makes up for it with multiple products on offer, good service network and cheap ownership in the long term.

There has been a steady flow of news about factory shutdowns, workforce reductions, VRS schemes & high profile executive exits. People who have been with the brand over 2 decades are leaving. Whether its for the fresh influx of new ideas and energy is to be seen. It may simply be clearing of desks before the office shuts as well. I sincerely hope the brand survives, simply to retain competition in the market somewhat. Product wise, except the hybrid tech comes here, Honda's line up in general globally also seems a bit insignificant especially for our current market needs.
Reinhard is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:40   #7
BHPian

I second that.
Automobile sector is greatly affected due to Chip Shortage or rather Pandemic.

- VW Group is no different primarily VW and Skoda. They already invested for India 2.0 project but it seems as if things are not working out well as expected and credit goes to VW group only. The number and kind of issues seen in Kushaq doesn’t feel like German quality standards and cost cutting is evident hence, the cause of reluctance amongst potential buyers including Skoda/VW loyalists as seen on twitter in convos with Zac Hollis. I hope they learn a lesson and fix the prominent issues with upcoming Kodiaq and Slavia and doesn’t further ruin the brand reputation.

- KIA/MG: Don’t know much about MG but KIA has captured a considerable market share mainly with Seltos as it definitely looks good both on the outside and inside but safety is definitely a concern keeping in view safety ratings.

- FCA-Jeep, Compass is really a sorted product and the one with feel good factor in relation to built and drivability. Don’t know about it's after sales support, not that wide but must be satisfactory.

- Economical Japanese brands, Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai are doing satisfactorily well in comparison to other brands. All credit goes to easy maintenance and less niggles. Flimsy outer Build Quality remains an issue especially in case of Maruti Suzuki.

- Hondas and Toyotas are known for their globally renowned reliability. No two ways about it. Toyota's rebadged models are beyond disappointing and unnecessary. Both, Honda and Toyota need to come up with their original models preferably SUVs like Tata Harrier in the same 15-25L budget. In case of Sedans, I personally miss Altis and Civic, the reliable D segment machines with premium looks. Elantra although looks good and Octavia being heavy on pocket in terms of maintenance doesn’t justify the price value.

- Needless to say regarding domestic brands, Tata and Mahindra. They’re providing good products like XUV line up in case of Mahindra and Harrier, Altroz in case of Tata but After Sales Support needs a lot of improvement. They make the issue worse instead of fixing it.
That’s why a personal supervision is needed while getting your car serviced, instead FNG would suffice and same is going on with international brands as well. Carelessness is evident or may be they’re making additional bills.

Last edited by i_s_bajwa : 13th December 2021 at 21:09. Reason: Bold font corrected as mentioned by Mods. Thanks for highlighting.
i_s_bajwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:40   #8
BHPian

I think it is going to be Honda. Nissan is one brand that should have left India at least 3 years ago when they were still selling the ageing Micras and Sunny's and Terranos. They have shown resilience and are fighting back, with the success of the Magnite. As for Renault, I still do not think Renault will sink. No matter at what time they were in India, they had at least a few successful cars. The Duster was a good seller, then came the Kwid. Now they are currently at their strongest IMO, having the Triber and Kwid be excellent sellers, and Kiger being a decent seller. A stronger crossover and Renault can easily bounce back.

Honda currently has just the Amaze and City that are sellers in their portfolio. They are neither launching new cars nor bringing even their competent portfolio of cars they have abroad. Sedans are in constant decline, and Honda somehow survives from the sale of 2 sedans. Not for long though.

I also think that Maruti may disappear from the Market at least some time in the future. Yes, the highest seller in India is in no danger of being outsold by the competition.

But I see Toyota buying a full stake in Suzuki in the future, even if it may not be soon. Suzuki may be left to sell smaller hatchbacks, while the rest of the portfolio may be Toyota sedans and SUV's, with them, mostly being Suzuki rebadges. I say this as Toyota is at a long term having the risk of leaving too, them being reliant on 2 SUV's at the higher spectrum of price, being the expensive Innova and very expensive Fortuner. They have the resources to buy out the competition so this can happen, but it is a very long shot. It is also important to note that Toyota owns a bit of Suzuki share, currently at 4.94%. So this may also happen, even though the possibilities are very few.
TorqueMonster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Am more or less sure about Isuzu. Looks they have completely lost it. Recently we sent out commercial truck for repairs and the estimate came over 70K on a pickup which originally costed us around 6.5 lac. I will post the estimate in relevant thread but it’s only for wheel hub and brake pads with some other ancillary parts. As per service centre this has got damaged due to excessive heat generated by worn out brake pads. The same driver also takes care of our Innova and Endeavour. The moment he noticed screeching sound, we sent to service centre.

Checked with some of my knowns at the dealership, a lot of their staff have left to other brands and even at our forum, I hardly see any posts on Isuzu threads. There are no new launches or updates.

Have decided to get rid of all of their vehicles. Company officials are least bothered as they are worried about their own future.

Last edited by manson : 19th December 2021 at 20:35. Reason: Typo.
Turbanator is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 21:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

- Not sure how long can FCA hold with the Compass and Wrangler. Meridian has to be seen but it isn't going to do wonders.

- Honda doesn't look good at all, how long can Amaze and City hold is the question but IMO they're at least 2 years away from a decision. Slavia/Virtus might hasten that.

- Datsun might be closed as a brand but Nissan would continue at least for some time.

- Renault seems to be walking on eggshells but it will depend a lot on Nissan's future as well.

Last edited by shancz : 13th December 2021 at 21:03. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 21:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda, Nissan and Renault are not going anywhere, at least in the near to mid future. Honda has been asleep for the last 5 years but are finally waking up with the upcoming City hybrid and SUV model. That with the existing Amaze and City will keep them alive. Renault is doing decently between the Kwid, Triber and Kiger. Magnite has literally brought Nissan out of coma and back into standing and walking shape. They export a fair bit as well. Datsun might be killed off, not that anybody would notice.

The company most likely to shut shop seems to be Isuzu. They are a one trick pony, and have overplayed their hand with the pricing of their products. Between the new Thar and the upcoming Toyota Hilux, I see no place for the DMax and it’s iterations in the market.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th December 2021 at 21:19.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:09   #12
anb
BHPian

I hope none will exit India in future. Mentioning some brand names in a reputed website like Team-Bhp based on some rumour or assumption is not right. I hope people will continue to purchase these brands and they will not lose any sales because of threads like this.
anb is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I hope none will exit India in future. Mentioning some brand names in a reputed website like Team-Bhp based on some rumour or assumption is not right. I hope people will continue to purchase these brands and they will not lose any sales because of threads like this.
I agree. This thread is pure speculation with little or absolutely zero substance. All of us have to die one day, speculating whose turn is next, is not in good taste and better avoided.

Thanks.

Last edited by Geta : 13th December 2021 at 22:20.
Geta is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:18   #14
BHPian

How is Citroen doing ? Are they able to sell enough cars to justify their businesses in India?
TorqMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nissan - Renault are giving it one more chance. Launching the Kiger/Magnite shows that.

Brand Honda is in the doldrums. If not immediately, Japan HQ might decide to cut India out in 2-3 years unless they get some new models soon.

Last edited by manson : 19th December 2021 at 20:22. Reason: Typo.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks