Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 19:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency

Excellent thread and at the right time for me.

My 2 cents: -

I took delivery of a XUV500 W10 AWD AT on 14th Jan-22 (9:00 PM) from Spinny.

The next day was spent in getting the Pooja done for the car and since it was a festival, did not get much time to spend with the car and to verify the documents provided.

Now to the actual problem, today morning while organizing the papers that need to be kept in the car until I get the transferred RC card, noticed that in the existing RC the vehicle model is mentioned as XUV500 W10 FWD AT. (while the car is actually AWD). In the insurance its mentioned as XUV500 W10. Initially I thought maybe all the AWDs are mentioned as FWD, but then searched in OLX for an AWD car and lookup for its details in Parivahan app and noticed that AWD was mentioned in that cars RC. So, it’s not a case that this model was not listed in the RTO’s data base and hence they chose the closest option available. Ideally these are checks Spinny is supposed to do while purchasing the vehicle from the previous owner.

I am now in 2 minds, wondering if this change can be incorporated in the RC or not as I am not the 1st owner, spoke to a few agents in RTO and they mentioned they will have to pull out the file submitted by the showroom during registration and check what’s mentioned. If it is a mistake done by the RTO then it can be rectified.

Side-by-side, I am thinking to go to the Spinny office tomorrow and check what solution they are able to provide.

If nothing works out, I will return car as the car is still under that Money back guarantee till 19-Jan-22.

One downside is, we as a family had planned to head out in the car tomorrow and had tanked up close to 72lts of diesel. Not sure if Spinny has any policy on regard to the fuel reimbursements.

Now I feel my family and have been put in this tricky situation for no mistake of ours, while the return policy is the savior, the efforts and time I have invested to get the car checked at Mahindra service doesn’t come into picture.

If anyone from this forum has been in a similar situation please share details of how you got the RC corrected.

Thanks,
Nishith

Last edited by Nishith : 16th January 2022 at 19:56. Reason: Correcting spacing between paraghaphs
Nishith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 20:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
Now to the actual problem, today morning while organizing the papers that need to be kept in the car until I get the transferred RC card, noticed that in the existing RC the vehicle model is mentioned as XUV500 W10 FWD AT. (while the car is actually AWD).
As long as the engine and chassis number on the RC match what's on the vehicle, these small things don't matter. Enjoy your car, and go for that long drive you've prepared yourself for.

As for the correction part, it can be easily sorted out by any competent RTO agent. My RC had an even bigger mistake (Hyundai Santro Xing was mentioned as Hyundai Others), and I didn't even have to give the agent any documentation proving my car's model name. Just wrote down the name on a piece of paper, and an hour later it was reflected in the online records.
boniver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
As long as the engine and chassis number on the RC match what's on the vehicle, these small things don't matter. Enjoy your car, and go for that long drive you've prepared yourself for.

As for the correction part, it can be easily sorted out by any competent RTO agent. My RC had an even bigger mistake (Hyundai Santro Xing was mentioned as Hyundai Others), and I didn't even have to give the agent any documentation proving my car's model name. Just wrote down the name on a piece of paper, and an hour later it was reflected in the online records.
Thank you for the response sir.

I see you are also from Bangalore, would you mind sharing the details of your RTO agent?

The car in discussion is registered with the Indiranagar RTO (KA 03).

Thanks,
Nishith
Old 16th January 2022, 22:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
They say that they will give written affidavit on 100rs stamp paper reg the liability arising in case of mishap or fines post receiving full amount via bank xfer
I have read earlier that the one and only person liable for mishaps or fines would be the one in whose name the RC is. No other document will have any bearing.
adisan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 22:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
I see you are also from Bangalore, would you mind sharing the details of your RTO agent?
I am in Bangalore now, but my car in question is WB registered and this event took place back home in Calcutta. Would request other long-time Bangalore-based members to help Nishith out with the contact of a reliable agent.
Once again, would suggest you to not worry too much about this. If the details do get changed in the RC, it's good, if not, it's not a big deal. Even during the FC test of the car when it's 15 years old, the RTO will not check whether the car is FWD or AWD. As long as the chassis and engine numbers match...

Regards
Old 17th January 2022, 17:35   #51
BHPian

I was selling my Jetta, got a lakh more than what C24 offered to a direct buyer - patience is the key and there is always a right buyer for a good and honest car!

I was on a look out for a low mileage used Tiguan in Bengaluru in 2020, found two listings on Cars 24 for a reasonable price and when I registered my interest to see the car, then no reply from C24 and when reached a # given lame excuses, found these cars landed with a dealer after a week - so there is collusion with dealers.

About the same time there were two low mileage Innova's 2.8 ZAT with Cars 24 at Haralur yard again reasonably priced - I was interested in one of them as it was a single owner, it rode well, took the # to cross check with Nandi, found the cars never visited a service center in the last two years. The RC also had registration date after BS6 came into picture which couldn't possibly happen as the 2.8's were discontinued prior, the big one was the fuel said "others" and not Diesel, so we walked away from the deal.

And well that ended my used car search - I went and bought a new Safari 2021!

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2022 at 18:48. Reason: Mod note attached.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th January 2022, 23:16   #52
BHPian

Glad to find this thread.

So, here comes my part of the experience.

A cousin of mine in Mumbai is looking out for a Wagon R CNG. It will be his first car and wants to own a second hand one initially.

I have no faith in the online platforms such as spinny, cars24, olx etc. I had a bad experience with cars24 while selling my Swift ZDI a few years ago on the pricing part. That's a long story.

So the next best place to locate a car was our forum - Team BHP Classifieds.

Zeroed down on a Wagon R CNG in Mumbai. My cousin insisted that I should be there when he sees the vehicle as he has Zero knowledge about cars. So I had a chat with the seller (A Dealer listed on Team BHP Classifieds) Got to know a few details. Rode down from Pune to Mumbai, met my cousin and went to have a look at the car.

The dealer mentioned on chat that:-

1. Car is clean (For my understanding clean means that the car is never repainted and body-line is clear. No damaged and broken)

2. No issue in vehicle.

3. ODO was low - 42,000 kms

4. Car is fitted with BRAND NEW tyres.

However when I inspected the car, there were some major observations such as:-

1. Car was entirely re painted (had paint stains on ski rack + door trims + window outer waist rail --- Wonder where the paint job was done Again, CLEAN CAR? )

2. 2 tyres were from 2018 and 2 tyres were from 2019 - What brand new tyres? (what brand new tyres?)

3. AC took a long time to cool. Also the AC belt made a loud noise for around 4-8 minutes after being switched ON.

4. All the doors made a major squeaking sound - Looks like the doors were damaged and done some "Jugaad" to fit them back. (Even my cousin, who is super Non Techinical, could make out that this is not what he wants to buy. Was a bit of an embarrassing moment for me as I told him such good things about Team BHP)

5. Clutch - Was super hard and major play for a car driven for 42,000 Kms.

6. Gear lever knob was broken - I Fail to understand that a car driven for 42,000 kms can have its gear knob broken.

I rejected the car immediately, as this appeared to be a FRAUD DEALER selling his damaged and tampered products on TEAM BHP CLASSIFIEDS..

The dealer then mentioned to me:-

"Itna to hota hain har gaadi mein" - "These many issues will be there in every car"

I would appreciate if MODs could make note of the type of products being sold or basically the quality of dealers being listed on Team BHP Classifieds.

So now my search for a CLEAN Wagon R CNG Still continues....
acestormtrooper is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 09:32   #53
BHPian

I want to go a little off topic and talk about aggregators in general.

This includes all online portals like cars24, olacars, food delivery like Zomato, Swiggy and now health aggregators like pharmeasy, prystine, practo etc.

Somehow they make money by milking both party A (buyer) and seller (seller).

Also there are no firm laws or ombudsman with whom aggrieved consumers can complain and get relief.

I agree with you completely that going to a reputable dealer directly saves a lot of time and stress. Long term it saves money also.

It is just that most of us are too busy or used to having everything in on our phone without having to make much effort.

That’s why these aggregators are on business. Because we want convenience at any cost.

End of day we will pay for everything. There are no free lunches.

We have to be wary of many more such aggregators in the future.

Sometimes the old way is the best way. Especially true when buying/selling a car.

Cheers
drjaygoyal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:11   #54
BHPian

Excellent thread, Asit. I am planning to sell my Baleno 2018 Zxi manual.. excellent condition with only 15000 on ODO. I tried a few individual buyers but their quote is far too less so my plan is to sell it to an aggregator. The only concern that i have is that is the indemnity if the RC is not transferred. Would I be liable if there is any accident or mishap? Is there a clear indemnity clause in the deal with aggregators, if yes then which one. Please help me with this info. Your help is much appreciated.
Pras92003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 14:57   #55
BHPian

Hi Pras92003,

So coming ti sell cars, if you sell it to an Individual, to take a few copies of his ADHAR & PAN Card.

Even if he does not transfer the RC To his name, what you can do is, Write a letter to the following:-

1. Pune Police Commissioner
2. Pune Traffic Poilice Comissionner
3. Chief RTO Officer Pune

Mentioning that you have sold the car to Mr. ABC and are no more responsible for any untoward incident. Pls find hereby the attached copies of the ADHAR & PAN card of the new owner and post this by registered AD Post.

Registered AD post is a legal document and can be used as prof and evidence in court.

Hope you find a buyer soon!
acestormtrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 17:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pras92003 View Post
Would I be liable if there is any accident or mishap?
Yes, as per the Supreme Court order on this. Your only safe option is to ensure that your car has an active third party insurance till the time RC is transferred so that you are covered incase of an accident. Even then you will be called by law enforcement for any illegal activities involving your car. I hope in this case you can justify your innocence with the documents you receive from aggregator.
sreerknair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 19:13   #57
BHPian

I had sold my car 5 years back on OLX. It was a very seamless experience as the buyer was staying nearby. Deal was closed in 2 days and RC was submitted for transfer immediately. The buyer also became a good friend of mine.

Fast forward by 5 years, I registered the ad on the same platform to sell another car and was expecting similar results. But, to my surprise, there are no direct buyers and the aggregator started pestering me for car inspection. I was taken aback on seeing that there are almost zero direct sellers or buyers.

This model is just for the middle men to make money without any value addition. In fact, they are creating mess in many cases.

We need a neutral platform to connect buyers with sellers. They can charge for membership and give some value added services for monetary profit.

Facebook Marketplace is one good option, planning to try that if I can't find any buyers from my first circle. Any other such platforms available??
praveenkkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 23:33   #58
BHPian

IMO these aggregators are a double edged sword. In recent past, I was looking for a used automatic for my wife and following are observations/experiences (mainly with Spinny and Trubill).

First the good part -
  • Single place with large number of used car option, lots to choose from
  • Free test drives at home can be scheduled, similar to new car TD arranged by dealers. This comfort is definitely appreciated
  • People who bring the car for test drive were very processional, better than many new car dealers IMO
  • There is a certain comfort in fixed pricing model of Spinny, I hate haggling and worrying about "right" price
  • Its perfect for buyers, they can sell their used cars in 1-2 days at a "pretty" good price

Now the Bad and the Ugly
  • "Inspected", "high score", "accident free" promises of these platforms are a FAD!. One must get car thoroughly inspected before purchase. I had got a Brio automatic inspected and had rejected it as its shocks were leaking and steering had become stiff. Seller had offered to sell me at 4.5L (he has a Spinny quote of 4.4L). Funnily enough it lists on spiny a week later for 4.9L with no mention of suspension or steering issues
  • Now thats a markup of 50k on a 4.4L car, that markup goes upto ~1L on a ~10L car. This just seems wrong considering Maruti makes about 40k profit per car (this is after all the R&D, manufacturing and investment risks they take)
  • Another tidbit from the above experience.. I had got the car inspected at honda and they did not point out any major issues, I had to take it to a independent mechanic to discover leaking shocks and steering issues
  • These vendors often polish, touchup or repaint if needed to make the car shiny and new. Good looking car may not mean well maintained car!
  • Aggressive purchase of any and all used car inventory in the market and huge markups have made used cars very unattractive and not VFM lately (especially in cities like Bangalore)

I believe used car prices on these platforms will normalize once chip shortage, metal prices and car production normalizes. As for the inspection report, 1 year warranty, buy back etc etc promises.. take it with a spoon of salt and do your own due diligence.
speedracer05 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to Spinny, I usually look at the following image, before the car is inspected. Their buy back guarantee price usually gives a hint if the car is reasonably overpriced or horribly overpriced.

The following image is that of a car which is priced at Rs.8.9L for a petrol Nexon XZ Plus 2020 model. If we assume their assured buy back price for 12 months (Rs6.93L). The ownership cost is nearly Rs.2 lakhs in the year , which is very high IMHO.

As a general rule, it may not be profitable to buy a used car if it depreciates beyond 10-15% per annum. But such cars are a very rare find these days on the online aggregators who I assume make a profit of Rs.1.5-2L for a Rs.10L car.
Attached Images

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 31st January 2022 at 12:03.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post

So the next best place to locate a car was our forum - Team BHP Classifieds.
I was in market for a new first car but still was just looking at Team BHP classified and since I was checking it for first time, I was shocked to see "Dealer" in front of many listings. I immediately noped out of there and also became little disappointed that dealers are allowed to post on Team BHP classified as I personally feel it is in dealer's "fitrat" to con people and pass a substandard product as something good and fool gullible buyers.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks