Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 23:33   #16

Re: 2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh

Looks great. Kudos to TATA for exploring CNG as an alternative. This will definitely reduce ownership costs for people who have high usage. But after seeing the pricing, I quickly googled upto to find the starting prices of the petrol Variant. I am shocked. 5 years ago Tiago was launched for 3.2L. Now it's 5.2L. It used to compete with the kwid. Now it's prices are on par with Ignis, Magnite, Kiger etc. Yes, a lot of features have been added over the 1st gen Tiago but I still feel it is priced a lot more than before.
Nightfury29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 00:48   #17
BHPian

Good for tata to be in the CNG scene. CNG is the next wave.

But why only on higher variants for the Tigor? Also, the tigor feature list has rear washer and wiper. I guess it is not available in petrol avatar. Why only on CNG?

Projector headlamps back on Tiago! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfury29 View Post
5 years ago Tiago was launched for 3.2L. Now it's 5.2L. Yes, a lot of features have been added over the 1st gen Tiago but I still feel it is priced a lot more than before.
At launch, base variant of Tiago was XB. It did not have air con, ABS, EBD or air bags. Current base variant is XE and it has all that. The price has been increased, but it's still not so high.

Last edited by Benoit : 20th January 2022 at 00:55.
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:39   #18
AZT
BHPian

Great feat by Tata. They managed to make the Tigor in EV, CNG, and Petrol. I'm guessing this would be the first such car (or one of the few) to have that to it's name.

As a Tigor owner, the boot is definitely spacious. Also owned a Swift CNG so I know how the tank eats up all the space there. In the Tigor there should be some usable boot space still. The car is under powered so that's one flaw but otherwise I'm a happy camper. Would suggest anyone looking at CNG to definitely consider the Tigor.

Last edited by AZT : 20th January 2022 at 14:41.
Old 20th January 2022, 15:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG media drives kicks off today, reviews drops on 27th January at 9AM.

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-smartselect_20220120150503_twitter.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671229800.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671232263.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-20220120_150431.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671234903.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671237309.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671239632.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-fb_img_1642671242028.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-20220120_150435.jpg

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-20220120_150438.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th January 2022 at 15:10.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 15:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving impressions of Tiago i-CNG

CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 02:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrasin_selvan View Post
A Noob question. Why is that CNG tanks are always positioned in the boot ? why cannot they be positioned in the place of a Petrol fuel Tank ? Is there any technical reasoning behind this ?

Simply because Indian car manufacturers are extremely cost conscious and don't know how to integrate the CNG tanks beneath the boot floor. It takes a considerable amount of engineering to strengthen the chassis, suspension, brakes etc.

My current car here in Prague is a VW Passat 1.4 TSI CNG. It is a true CNG + Petrol bifuel car. It has 21kg CNG & 31L petrol tank capacity giving a combined range of 900km. However, I have reduced boot capacity and lose out on spare tyre . If possible I'll share a picture in a few days and show you how nearly integrated the CNG system is. My car starts and runs entirely on CNG. Once I completely run out of CNG, the car automatically switches to petrol.

Indian car manufacturers simply slap on the CNG kit like an aftermarket fitment but offer you factory warranty. It is nothing but poor execution and poor integration. You lose the boot capacity by 85% and the spare tyre will eat the remaining space leaving you zero space to carry any luggage thereby making CNG cars undesirable by many willing to take longer journeys.
Simha.k is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simha.k View Post
My current car here in Prague is a VW Passat 1.4 TSI CNG. It is a true CNG + Petrol bifuel car. It has 21kg CNG & 31L petrol tank capacity giving a combined range of 900km. However, I have reduced boot capacity and lose out on spare tyre . If possible I'll share a picture in a few days and show you how nearly integrated the CNG system is. My car starts and runs entirely on CNG. Once I completely run out of CNG, the car automatically switches to petrol.

Indian car manufacturers simply slap on the CNG kit like an aftermarket fitment but offer you factory warranty. It is nothing but poor execution and poor integration.
The video shared by CEF_Beasts clearly shows how well integrated the CNG system is with the IC Engine system in Tiago. And same should also hold good for Tigor too.

According to the reviewer in the video, the car starts and runs very smoothly on CNG. If the CNG gets over it smoothly switches to petrol and vice-versa. Also, the reviewer also highlights the "Kat" sound which he felt in other CNG cars during switchover and not in Tiago.

He also mentions the pick up is fine and its has the best power figures compared to the competition.

Haven't seen in person, but according to the reviewer the system is well thought of and well integrated and its the best available in the market.

From the review, no way I felt it is poorly executed or integrated CNG system. Its a well thought of integration and combined mileages should be exceptional.

Waiting for our official review which will clear lot of doubts new buyers may have.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
The video shared by CEF_Beasts clearly shows how well integrated the CNG system is with the IC Engine system in Tiago. And same should also hold good for Tigor too.
What you are saying applies to all well installed aftermarket CNG kits as well. VW’s CNG system is far superior from the sense that it allows about twice the gas capacity while also maintaining boot space. Our manufacturers (bulk of blame lies with Maruti here) haven’t bothered to come up with any such solutions. They just slap on pre assembled kits and tank with minor changes here and there, and provide factory warranty while charging premium.

CNG is the ideal fuel for mass market urban usage for the next 10 years minimum. The first manufacturer to launch a well engineered CNG solution with 20kg gas capacity with a usable 300+ liter boot and an automatic will revolutionise the market.

Quote:

My current car here in Prague is a VW Passat 1.4 TSI CNG. It is a true CNG + Petrol bifuel car. It has 21kg CNG & 31L petrol tank capacity giving a combined range of 900km. However, I have reduced boot capacity and lose out on spare tyre .

Indian car manufacturers simply slap on the CNG kit like an aftermarket fitment but offer you factory warranty. It is nothing but poor execution and poor integration. You lose the boot capacity by 85% and the spare tyre will eat the remaining space leaving you zero space to carry any luggage thereby making CNG cars undesirable by many willing to take longer journeys.
This is a hard and blatant truth, what Indian manufacturers are doing. VW’s solution is far superior.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st January 2022 at 09:57.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 10:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The video shared by CEF_Beasts clearly shows how well integrated the CNG system is with the IC Engine system in Tiago. And same should also hold good for Tigor too...
He isn't talking about the integration of CNG with the fuel-system but rather about placement of CNG Tanks in a way that it is integrated well within the body structure of the car such that the biggest issue (about boot-space) with CNG cars is addressed.

Something like this :

Sadly, Indian policy makers missed the chance (/weren't interested, rather) to incentivise bi-fuel cars & also car-makers who had anyway developed the tech for other countries didn't care to bring it to India because their intent was never to expand/acquire a large part of the Indian car market. Imagine the amount of Forex & Greenhouse emissions India could've saved if majority private cars were with well integrated CNG. Here we're left hoping they used the newer composite type CNG cylinders so that atleast the tank storage capacity & weight was minimal.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 21st January 2022 at 10:13.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 15:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago & Tigor iCNG range could get automatic variants

Earlier this week, Tata Motors launched the Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG in the Indian market. According to a recent report, both models could be offered with an automatic transmission option in the future.

2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-tigor-icng-exterior.jpg

Shailesh Chandra, President, Passenger Vehicles Business, Tata Motors, has stated that the company is actively thinking of introducing automatic variants in the future.

At present, both the hatchback and compact sedan come with a 1.2-litre engine paired with a 5-speed manual transmission. When running on CNG, this motor develops 72 BHP and 95 Nm.

Unlike the competition, Tata Motors is offering the CNG option in a wide price bracket, including the feature-packed XZ+ trim. Prices for the Tiago iCNG start at Rs. 6.09 lakh, while the Tigor iCNG range starts at Rs. 7.69 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Source: Car and Bike

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 21st January 2022 at 15:26.
TusharK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Tiago & Tigor iCNG range could get automatic variants
If this happens then this will be the first in the segment.
I remember someone reached out to me around 2 years back with the same request while having a discussion about cars.
On the other hand, it's good to see such a good launch, which will easily help in breaking the monopoly of Maruti, WagonR churns out most of its numbers only because it comes in CNG and commands a premium for what it offers.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 22:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Simply because Indian car manufacturers are extremely cost conscious and don't know how to integrate the CNG tanks beneath the boot floor.
The Tata Nano CNG had it's CNG tanks located under the front seats.

So they had the know how. Probably they have a good enough reason for not replicating it in these models.
Old 21st January 2022, 23:18   #28
BHPian

Why does Tata think so much nefore launching automatic variants? Altroz? CNG?
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
He isn't talking about the integration of CNG with the fuel-system but rather about placement of CNG Tanks in a way that it is integrated well within the body structure of the car such that the biggest issue (about boot-space) with CNG cars is addressed.

Sadly, Indian policy makers missed the chance (/weren't interested, rather) to incentivise bi-fuel cars & also car-makers who had anyway developed the tech for other countries didn't care to bring it to India because their intent was never to expand/acquire a large part of the Indian car market. Imagine the amount of Forex & Greenhouse emissions India could've saved if majority private cars were with well integrated CNG. Here we're left hoping they used the newer composite type CNG cylinders so that atleast the tank storage capacity & weight was minimal.
What's surprising is VAG group's reluctance to launch natural gas powered vehicles in India, when their vehicles are breaking speed & efficiency records in Europe. I'm sure many fence sitters would happily move to their vehicles which offer fair chance to entry level premium segment than any Japanese, Korean & Chinese auto makers.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd January 2022 at 07:46. Reason: typos
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The video .. lot of doubts new buyers may have.

-PK
GrammarNazi has already replied of what actually I wanted to convey. It is not about the integration of the fuel system but the entire CNG kit in to the BIW structure of the vehicle platform on which it is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What you are saying applies to all well installed aftermarket CNG kits as well.

This is a hard and blatant truth, what Indian manufacturers are doing. VW’s solution is far superior.
Oh absolutely true! VW group by far has the *BEST* CNG integration in to the vehicle. I am also quite happy to say the fact here is that my car is an automatic DSG fitted with DQ200 gearbox. I am enjoying the best of both worlds, to be honest. The economical CNG running and the ease of driving an automatic. On a full tank of CNG (21kg), the car runs easily 450-480km on highways at a decent speed of 110kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
He isn't ..Something like this :
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=YXvIQfphmxU

.. tank storage capacity & weight was minimal.
Yes, this is exactly the video/screengrab I wanted to share earlier. There are better videos showing how the CNG tanks are placed beneath the boot floor but the floor is raised by few centimeters which leads to loss of boot space by few liters. But, you can certainly carry a spare tyre and also quite some luggage without compromise. My car is a combi which makes the boot slightly bigger than the normal sedan version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
The Tata Nano CNG had it's CNG tanks located under the front seats.

So they had the know how. Probably they have a good enough reason for not replicating it in these models.
I did not know the position of the tanks under the front passenger seats. But, I watched a couple of videos showing its location of tanks. I must say I was quite impressed. Honestly speaking, I was never interested in CNG vehicles in India. I owned a 1.3MJD Vista back in India. CNG neither appealed to people down South, nor are the stations available widely like up North.

But if they have not able to replicate the same on other car platforms, the only reason I can think of is the "cost". Ultimately, at the end of the day, it is the controlling/finance department which wins the argument. Innovation and technology die a premature death in the organization unless heavily influenced by the board

Also, let me say the fact here that when a new platform is created, the technical development team must come up with all possible permutation and combinations in order to improve or enhance the platform to future proof themselves from onslaught of other competitors offering several features and options. If the platform cannot support the new additions, the millions invested on it will all go up in smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
What's ...level premium segment than any Japanese, Korean & Chinese auto makers.
We can blame the government and the OEMs equally here for their failure. The government did not incentivise the innovation. The companies did not want to invest in certain technologies where it did not see sufficient profits comings its way. The logic is plain and simple. All companies fight till the last paisa and must come up with strong arguments to justify why it needs to invest and where the money will come from!

Quote:
Have they used the newer composite type, light weight CNG tank ? AFAIK it also helps with slightly higher capacity offer the regular type.

...companies
VW group companies cars like Skoda Octavia, VW Caddy, Audi G Tron series uses CFRP tanks. See picture below. You are expecting simply too much from car manufacturers in India! CFRP tanks will be super expensive and OEMs will outright turn down any proposal that costs twice/thrice the conventional steel tanks which in turn leads to higher customer acquisition price. It would be simply too hard to convince customers to invest more money just because the car is equipped with CFRP tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Tata Tiago and Tigor CNG launched, prices start from Rs 6.09 lakh-2octavia_gtec1920x1357.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks