Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 13:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster goes out of production in India

It's sad to see the duster go. It was a great car, especially the AWD variant. The ride quality was excellent.

However, I don't know if Renault will bring back the Duster (the current gen being sold in Europe) as the interiors and exteriors cannot compare to the current competition of the Creta/Seltos/XUV 700/Harrier-Safari. That said, the driving dynamics of the new Duster might be better than the competition.

While I do truly hope, that they bring back the Duster, I fear it might be a fools hope!
Old 17th February 2022, 14:08   #32
BHPian

Duster/Terrano (atleast 110ps) failed because of bad reviews from customers (injector/fuel pump) and pathetic ASC support.

Suspension and space might be great, but if one looses faith in the vehicle it is of no meaning sadly.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:23   #33
BHPian

Renault should have launched the Captur in 2017 - rebadged as Duster, just like Tata did with the Safari. The old one could have been sold alongside as the Duster Classic!

It was an all new product, with the Duster's underpinnings, and Indians didn't have too much of an idea about Renault's international model range. Anyway, it wasn't to be and the senile Duster finally bites the Dust!
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster goes out of production in India-2017renaultcaptur06.jpg  

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 17th February 2022 at 14:26.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:37   #34
BHPian

Sad, to see the end of the Duster. I still own a 110 ps top end Duster bought back in October, 2012. It has done 1,20,000 Kms and is going strong although I now use it for Local running only.

It served me very well, being roughly driven in the broken roads of Himachal as I worked on a project in Manali. Had a few issues such as a ECM replacement and replacement of the front left Shock absorber and now it seems that either one or both of the rear Shockers are gone too.

Good Vehicle, was quite comfortable over extremely poor roads and spared my back the pain of rolling about in a ladder on frame stiff suspension SuV.
driven646 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

My observations from early model year Duster: there is no other vehicle better than Duster that could glide over potholes, craters, rumble strips, speed bumps on Maharashtra roads. To say that Duster's ride quality is excellent is an understatement. It rides like a luxury car.

The car that started the segment is dead today and it is totally Renault India's fault. They showed complete apathy to this gem, took mind boggling decisions at crucial turning points and finally abandoned the ship. Some refresh on the interiors and gizmos to make it up to date car could have fetched a 3-4k/month units easy. All the foothold Duster gained thanks to great underpinnings is lost. What a shame.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 16:46   #36
BHPian

- It was a legendary car which created a new segment in Indian auto space
- It was the first SUV which felt like a friendly family car
- Even today, it is one the the most solid looking car in the segment
- Only Car having SUV DNA in 4.2-4.4 Segment, all others are sedans in boxy shell
- One of the best ride quality, airy cabin (glass area) and boot space

Post launch, Renault missed out on features, proper facelifts, more engine/ gearbox options. Had some of the best trips on this car and hopefully will be having more for at-least 3-4 year
Old 17th February 2022, 17:20   #37
BHPian

It is indeed a sad news for the car that along with the Eco Sport started the SUV/ Compact SUV trend in India. What a sorted drive over rough roads, AWD was a bonus.

It would be nice to be a fly in the wall in Renault corporate office as to what’s on their mind? Do they not get the India market? Do they not want to make deep investments in the India market? Haven’t they seen the success of the Kia strategy- Bring the latest products, offer options/ variants, features and hit the sweet spot in terms of pricing.
They had a killer product, a perfect launchpad to bring in more India specific products.

Alas! They are instead done and dusted! (pun intended)
petrogeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:25   #38
BHPian

With very limited sales, there was no point in continuing this model. Renault did the right thing by pulling this out from the market. But they should bring the replacement as soon as possible. With Carens launched at a killer price, the Triber sales is going to be severely affected. And Kiger sales are not very promising either. If Renault is serious about Indian market and don’t want to exit like Ford, they should act fast.
techmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 18:13   #39
BHPian

They should have learned from the VAG strategy, with Kushaq/Taigun they are getting both volumes and profit. The real profit is in the >10 L segment and Koreans are minting it big time. Whereas Renault is just focussing on Kwid/Triber/Kiger which gave them volumes but not much profit. Slightly off-topic however I think Renault/Nissan/Datsun should have just focussed their energy on single brand Renault and axe the other two.
Old 17th February 2022, 18:44   #40

It should have died years back. Its main usp was that its a cheap SUV. Now there are much better suv for far less money. 99% of people never take the vehicle offroad, they need a SUVish vehicle for office commute. If one wants to achieve SUV bragging rights for cheap, Magnite & Kiger are way ahead. And 4x4 duster was already a slow seller. I am glad that a car that was outdated inside out is dead now. I think its right time that the global manufacturers understand that they can not bring their "B" game to India. Selling old outdated European cars in India is a thing of the past. This car is surely dead and if Renualt does not bring updated stock of Zoe, Clio, Megane they might die too.
9890558353 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 23:05   #41
BHPian

Its really sad to see Duster go.

I have a 2013 Duster 85PS with 1.8 Lakh Kms on the ODO. It didn't ask for anything other than routine service and normal wear and tear replacements. Although the interiors are not upto the mark, but once you are driving it you forget everything else. Even today it puts a smile on my face while driving.

Sadly, I have to let it go soon due to stupid NGT rule in Delhi NCR for diesel vehicles, otherwise I am sure it will last for long without major expenses. Every new vehicle test drive is compared with Duster and everything fails in the ride department.

This vehicle has taken the family in supreme comfort across numerous road trips across India: Delhi - Goa, Delhi - Shirdi, Delhi - Jammu, Delhi - Bhopal and multiple trips to the Himalayas without any hiccup.

I wish Renault was smart and brought in updated versions to keep the sales.
Route66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I was one of the first in my city to take delivery of the Renault Duster, way back in September 2012. It continues to be my first car and I have nothing but good memories of this reliable, roomy and affordable 5-seater SUV. As others have pointed out, Duster started the compact SUV revolution in India but was sadly overtaken by genuine rivals like the Ford EcoSport and wannabes like the Hyundai Creta.

As Renault pulls the plug on Duster in India, I too, sadly and reluctantly, have to bid goodbye to my decade-old companion. While test-driving other vehicles as a possible replacement for the Duster, I found there was no vehicle even in the 20-25L bracket, as roomy as the Duster. This is true, not only for the front seats but also the rear, which can seat three full-size adults in absolute comfort. You have to only take a test drive of the Kushaq, Taigun, Astor or one of the Korean twins to know what I mean.

I would have gladly replaced my existing Duster with a new one, if only Renault had upgraded the interiors and other convenience features to keep up with the times. But this was not to be and finally for an owner like me, the compromises became more and more difficult to justify.

I have finally opted for the MG ZS EV, with delivery expected within the next few months. What I will be sacrificing the most will be the sheer feeling of space inside the cabin, I know. But the only consolation will be that it will be an EV and my cost per km will be around 20% of what others will be shelling out for their equivalent petrol/diesel SUV-s of the same segment.

I will miss my Duster though.
I too got my Duster in Sep 2012. The crazy thing is the number of times people tapped on my window back then at a red light to ask - "How is this car?" Some elders in the neighbourhood insisted on my seating them and taking them for a ride - between them they owned 2 Mercs, a BMW, and a Fortuner!

So many happy memories of my wife and kids sleeping full stretch with the back seat flat on an early morning heading to the hills, while I would listen to my music and drive peacefully. Many people mentioned the 'magic carpet' ride quality - but I would add the space that as a family, you got for the first time. We never had to leave anything behind.

And now - in a few months - we have to leave the car behind
Clouseau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 14:28   #43
BHPian

Feel sad, I never owned a duster. But I always eyed the Duster. Took a few test drives about 8 years ago. Budget was the only reason for not going for it.

Love the ride quality, space and the butch look (although many might not agree with me on the looks). Hope Renault introduces the next gen in India.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 15:15   #44
BHPian

So many memories with the Duster. Sad to hear that they have pulled the plug, but in this competitive cut throat market, it is survive or perish. It is mind boggling that Renault were not able to adapt to the marker when they were the segment creators for the crossover market in India. Monumental marketing bungling, to say the least. Typical french apathy which got things down to this level. One could write a book on how not to sell cars the Renault way.

Attaching pics of my ride and the wonderful times I spent with my Duster.
Renault Duster goes out of production in India-asambuduster.jpg
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 23:54   #45
BHPian

The first proper urban SUV in the indian car market.
Still cars like Creta, Seltos captured the market all because of lack of updates from Renault. Difficult to gauge the strategy from Renault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks