Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 13:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster goes out of production in India

The Renault Duster is no longer in production in India. The SUV was one of the most popular models in the French brand's product portfolio for nearly 10 years.

Renault Duster goes out of production in India-163986.jpg

The Renault Duster was initially launched with 1.6-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines. Later, Renault introduced an all-wheel-drive option on the diesel variant.

In 2020, Renault discontinued the 1.5-litre diesel engine. The updated model was offered with 1.5-litre petrol and a 1.3-litre turbo-petrol engine. While a 5-speed transmission was offered as standard, the turbo-petrol got a CVT option.

The Duster sold in the Indian market was based on the B0 platform. The second-generation Duster never made it to India, and there's still no word if Renault would ever bring the third-gen Duster to India either.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster goes out of production in India

A "Legend" killed when it lost its "Heart" the K9K diesel engine. It is a pity. I have heard from my friends and colleagues, those who owned the Duster and later sold them to replace with newer cars, quite significant number of Duster enthusiasts who would buy the "used" car as a beater car or some one who missed buying the Duster Diesel when they were in production.
cs_rajesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:28   #3

Sad to see this treatment being given to Duster. It deserved to get an updated interior + competitive pricing and would have surely picked up the sales volume.
Ragsk747 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:34   #4
BHPian

A legend retires! What a great car this was. Of course its a bit long in the tooth now considering the modern competition, but nothing could match the ride quality + ruggednness combination that was offered by the Duster. Hope they bring a worthy successor or at least the latest gen Duster to India.

I have fond memories of a 2000+ km drive we took several years ago in a friend's Duster across J&K, Himachal, Spiti. The car did not give any trouble at all and we all loved driving it through all kinds of terrain especially in Spiti valley
Shreyas_H is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:39   #5
BHPian

Duster was the inception of the mid-size SUV segment in India. And with the earlier AWD option, 1.5 diesel, driving dynamics, and performance, Duster literally ruled the market like no one and was one solid and capable SUV.

Even though Duster was doing exceptionally good, I wonder why Renault did not bring the 2nd and eventually the 3rd gen to India. Pity those AWD SUV enthusiasts like me. And now they have pulled the plug.

And the Indian Nissan Kicks is also based out of the Duster platform. I am sure it will be the next in line (Even though the updated Kicks is sold in many other markets for more than a year now).

If all the worthy brands and models (like Ecosport, Endeavour, Duster, Civic, Altis) leave, what are we supposed to do? Honestly, we need more choices and options.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 14:25   #6
BHPian

Sad! I'm didn't understand why Renault didn't bring the updated Duster to India when the first-gen was so successful, even into its last legs!
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Really sad that Duster's production has stopped. I was a category defining car. Shame that Renault didn't bring the second generation Duster. Hope someday we get to see the latest version
Old 16th February 2022, 15:04   #8

It is disheartening to see the legend who started the whole craze for Mid Size SUVs get overtaken by the rookies.

Renault really should have given us the facelift sold in the international markets or atleast a slight refresh with the following features-

- 1.3l TCe engine (as in the existing duster) + AWD + X-Tronic CVT/Manual
- The old diesel engine
- Slightly better looking interiors
- Keyless start and go, push-button start, centre armrest, rear ac vents, and
redesigned seats with a little more support
- All-Wheel Disc Brakes, 6 Airbags

If all these features had been provided in a relatively VFM package, it would have surely been enough to keep up or even defeat the Korean twins. It's kind of sad and fascinating to know that we are now part of an extinct tribe.

Surely looking forward to many more fun miles in our duster

Renault Duster goes out of production in India-img_20220102_105140-1.jpg
du5t3r_tur30 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 15:14   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Still no crossover that comes close to that "magic carpet" ride comfort of the Duster, nor one in the price range with the same combination of AWD + comfort + agility. Farewell, old friend . But your time was up. In fact, the Duster looked quite outdated even at the time of its launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsk747 View Post
It deserved to get an updated interior + competitive pricing and would have surely picked up the sales volume.
What was needed was the next-gen Duster, not just an updated interior. And yes, a diesel too. The turbo-petrol was F-A-S-T, but not suited to those with heavy running. Brand "Duster" had a great following. Am surprised Renault didn't bring in the new model.

I consider this one to be one of my best Official Reviews. Enjoyed writing it for you guys:

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2022 at 09:34.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 15:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Duster AWD was a very good car. But it was definitely quite outdated in multiple categories. I am not surprised that it has been discontinued now. In fact, I expected this to happen earlier than this.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine asked my suggestion for choosing between Ecosport and Duster. I recommended him an Ecosport that time. I gave him many reasons, one of which was that I felt Duster was soon to be discontinued. It is another funny matter that as we know it now, both Ecosport and Duster are out of production. (By the way, off topic here, but he is very happy with his Ecosport So I still think he made the right choice).

Duster was certainly a good car. We often talk about cars which are/were ahead of their times. Unfortunately, Duster was the opposite. It was one good car which was behind its time.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 16th February 2022 at 15:35.
Dr.AD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 15:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quite a well put together car, hindered by missteps. The fact that it sold despite being so dated and losing its key variants speaks for itself.

An entire segment could have been theirs, if only Renault played smart with the Duster. It could/would compete with the likes of EcoSport on one end and Creta on the other, with having the AWD capability as one of its trump card.

When in the market in '16, I thought long and hard about the Duster. Having experienced the ride quality on the misery that Tamhini ghat/Konkan roads were then, no car came close to how comfortable the Duster was. And while I could live with dated looks, the pathetic a/c was the deal-breaker.

Here's a Top Gear link to the '22 Duster. I have no hopes that this will make it to India (this exact Duster I mean), nor that it will wow the market.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/dacia/duster
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 17:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quite a well put together car, hindered by missteps. The fact that it sold despite being so dated and losing its key variants speaks for itself.

An entire segment could have been theirs, if only Renault played smart with the Duster. It could/would compete with the likes of EcoSport on one end and Creta on the other, with having the AWD capability as one of its trump card.

When in the market in '16, I thought long and hard about the Duster. Having experienced the ride quality on the misery that Tamhini ghat/Konkan roads were then, no car came close to how comfortable the Duster was. And while I could live with dated looks, the pathetic a/c was the deal-breaker.

Here's a Top Gear link to the '22 Duster. I have no hopes that this will make it to India (this exact Duster I mean), nor that it will wow the market.

The '22 Duster is the facelifted 2nd generation Duster which is unlikely to be launched in India. Renault may bring the 3rd generation Duster to India based on the Bigster concept SUV

Renault Duster goes out of production in India-daciabigsterconceptfront.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2022 at 07:46. Reason: Strictly no business promotion please!
Old 16th February 2022, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

The negative point mentioned about the Duster is hilarious - "Lacks safety kit; (The Duster is) so slow that this might not actually matter". Such a difference in perspective for the people in the West!

On a serious note, I think the Duster would have sold in decent numbers even now, if Renault had kept the prices in check.
I remember when the Duster was launched, the bookings soared and Renault increased the price by one lakh (in one go) and still it sold due to lack of competition. Now we have lot of options and cannot expect a dated car to sell at a high price point.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 16th February 2022 at 18:13.
Old 16th February 2022, 18:22   #14
BHPian

Looks like DUSTER got DUSTED. They didn't learn from Ford's mistake, UPDATE your cars/portfolio in time or get out of business, same with figo, aspire, ecosport and now the Duster. The 4x4 was a dream for many. Looks like Renault will go out of business the day Kiger/Triber stops selling.
FASTLIFE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 19:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Duster should have been phased out in 2019 itself rather than launching the 3rd facelift.
When the latest gen Duster was launched in other countries in 2017, what did Renault think? They will sell the old Duster with just another facelift!
They should have learned it from the failure of their Captur aka Kaptur! Bring the latest competent product, Indian buyers will reward you back.
There is no short cut.

Even Nissan proved it with their honest effort by bringing in the Magnite. Skoda and VW are doing the same.

When Renault had everything ready they opted for a shortcut, instead of getting the latest gen Duster. Facelift can't save an outdated product.
Renault missed the most happening segment with a ready product which already had a good brand name & fan followings in India. A timely launch of the Euro spec Duster would have easily added another 5k units per month!

Introducing the 1.3L turbo petrol was good, but who want a fast Duster? Majority bought duster as its a rugged workhorse which is extremely comfortable with a very sorted driving dynamics. The AWD was the icing on the cake!
Renault even had the BS6 ready for their K9K engine, still they decided to stop selling diesel cars in India.

Entering the mass market with the Kwid, Triber and Kiger was an excellent decision, but the reason for killing a product with everything ready went over my head!

Hope to have a good time ahead with my Duster with easy availability of spares!

Renault Duster goes out of production in India-82593779_3731933946878471_1520922093598801920_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 16th February 2022 at 19:57.
Samba is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks