Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 12:42   #16
BHPian

re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Where did they do an unveiling? Outside a shopping cum residential apartment block? They didn't even bother to hide the rain gutter piped in the photos for the "legend". Lame behaviour from the events and marketing teams at VW.
That's the racing Circuit outside Mardas - not a bad place to unveil a car with some handling pedigree compared to other lame ducks in this segment .
wbd8779 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:53   #17
BHPian

re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

This can very well be termed as a Legendary Flop Farewell - such lack of creativity from the management. This attitude is really worrisome.
AshwinRS is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:28   #18
BHPian

Whoever behind this so called farewell edition shall be sacked

VW India, you people are acting like lazy idiots. It was better if you stop it with the Matt Black Polo. Attaching some idiotic stickers and an awful looking legend logo won't make it a special edition. Please dont do a Maruti here.

Had high expectations for the farewell edition for a car like Polo, like no other car in India.

You guys messed up! You could have given the LED lights from Vento at least and call it a day. But you people turned out to be really lazy and disrespectful towards a car like Polo, which was your bread and butter for the longest period of time.

Now VW India at par with the mentality of VW India After Sales. Well done.
igemini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mismatched type faces of GT and Legend badges is such an eye sore. Its a car from 2000s what was the need to go back to 60's and steal Vespa's font. A modern, edgy font would have been better or at least that Legend badge should not have been next to GT. Lame.

There is 0 desirability to this special edition. The matte edition which came last year could have been a better farewell.
amol4184 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
That's the racing Circuit outside Mardas - not a bad place to unveil a car with some handling pedigree compared to other lame ducks in this segment .
The track is a great place to unveil the car, but still, these photos will look like the exterior of a multiuse building to a novice eye. All I am saying is that they needed a better unveiling of the car, perhaps on the track itself.
umohan98 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volkswagen is celebrating the end of the Polo’s production with a special edition – the Polo Legend edition. Based on GT TSI it gets a legend badge on the flanks, some decals on the side and will be limited in number.
If I was the "Go To Man" at VW India, I would have just let the Polo die a graceful disappearance without any such pathetic & pointless gimmicks.

This legend edition is a slap across all the Polo enthusiasts and purists in India

Considering it is based on the GT TSI edition, the least they could have done was:
  • Provide paddle shifters
  • Update the headlights to LEDs.
  • Add the HU and Digital cockpit from Taigun.

This "Legend" edition is closer to a "Indian Swift RS" version

Last edited by Vik0728 : 4th April 2022 at 15:11.
Old 4th April 2022, 15:29   #22
BHPian

So the last 700 Polo cars to roll out from Škoda-VW.

I guess this is what VW guys would have discussed before rolling this edition :

Why waste money on making it more special. Even if we update it with all required updates it hardly sells more than 1000 units.

So V W marketing team came up with this master piece legendary edition.

Even after 12 years since it’s launch Polo looks so beautiful. I wonder if there is any other car which aged so beautifully.
VALLURIS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

2009: Innovation at Volkswagen always makes the headline.
Apparently about Rs.5-6 Crores worth of newspaper ads to announce their entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I was surprised to see multiple page color advertisement in Times today from VW. I haven't seen such an effort from any manufacturer since i remember.
Anyway, apart from telling people how to pronounce VW , and emphasizing its heritage - including Audi and SKoda, they also have a full page on the Chakan plant. But most interesting - promise 3 cars to come by 2009 Dec

Touareg : 3L V6 Diesel
Beetle : a 2L, 115 bhp, 6 speed DSG Auto petrol
Polo : They emphasize it as "German Engineering, Made in India". There are already threads on this.

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-dscf7001.jpg
2012: Feel the shiver of excitement
I personally don't remember a similar stunt by any company in India (like attaching an electronic vibrator) before or after this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Delhi Readers be sure to Check out today's HT City. Its has a light sensitive vibrator included in a VW Advertisement on the back page!
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  411.1 KB
2022: RIP Polo/VW hatchbacks in India
The Polo outlived its time and yet managed to excite enthusiasts and put on a brave fight against the competition which have seen multiple generations in 12 years!

The GT TSI DSG is an incredible piece of engineering that deserves to be called a legend. However, considering the 1000 other special editions that it has traversed in the past 12 years, I don't know if its a relevant send-off or a cruel irony of sorts.

The posts from 2009 and 2012 clearly show how ambitious VW was back then.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th April 2022 at 11:19. Reason: As requested.
kiku007 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:49   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2022 at 09:22.
BHPjunkie is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th April 2022, 17:56   #25
BHPian

Oh lord! Folks calling shots at Volkswagen clearly don't care about Polo. Or maybe we enthusiasts read too much into what Mr. Gupta said at an event about the Polo.

Agreed - its a car based on an old platform.
Agreed - it might not be making VW as many profits as the newer models.
Agreed - when you compare it to newer products from competitors, it came across as not very tech savvy.

But,

* It was the nicest car to drive at that price point.
* This is the car that established Volkswagen as a brand in India and helped it sustain in this price sensitive market.
* It is one car anyone who loves driving would love to buy.

That said, there is nothing we can do than watch a lovely car take our leave. You've served us well, Polo. Take a bow!

PS: Was going trough Autocar India's post (https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-im...gallery-424038). The rear left door is not shut properly (please refer to image no 3). For a photoshoot, (no matter how trivial), this is unacceptable. Not sure who is to be blamed here but am sure VW folks must have reviewed these pics before giving their blessing.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 22:05   #26
BHPian

This is exactly what upsets me about the VW India's so called across the board 2.0 strategy. This 2.0 strategy seems to be all about make 2.0x times more money rather than offering the customers value.

Fellow BHPians have already pointed out how dismal of a farewell this is to a model that has arguably been VW India's most important model in India.

In between me and my immediate family we have owned around 4 iterations of the Polo ever since its launch and that itself is a testimonial to how much us petrol heads appreciated the car and it is a real shame that the end of production is going to be something like this.

Limiting the model to '700' odd units is meant to do what exactly? This so called limited edition would only entice customers if it had something unique. I am sure even if VW overcharged by a margin of a lakh or two petrol heads would surely give in to own a piece of modern Indian automotive history that arguably has been the entry ticket for the common joe into a world of German cars in a market otherwise dominated by the famous but unaffordable German trio. Lost opportunity!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 4th April 2022 at 22:07.
Old 4th April 2022, 23:01   #27
BHPian

I'm pretty sure in 2022 end/2023 they will roll out another special edition for the left over units with another such shoddy marketting job.

Apart from the die-hard fans, nobody wants to buy a car which will be discontinued with no replacement version in sight especially given VW's poor parts availability track record over the years. This was clearly visible with the response the Matt edition got.

VW could have done something special for farewell n sell the last units.
Old 5th April 2022, 01:39   #28
BHPian

Been searching for a good deal on used Polo GT TDI for the past 8 months, let one slip by due to high asking price (10L for 2019 Manual GT TDI, 37k kms).
Went to VW showroom in December 2021 to book the matte edition, was told that all units were sold out(even the test drive vehicle).
There is no other car in the market(sub 30L) I would buy whole heartedly other than Polo.
Seeing the final edition on Instagram early in the morning just filled me with joy.
Now I am praying that I can arrange the money for down payment, can't really express how badly I want this despite owning a 2014 Rapid TDI.
*fingers crossed*
Old 5th April 2022, 09:28   #29
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

What a damp squib farewell this is . It was better they sunset Polo quietly than insulting like this. I was hoping they bought in 500 limited edition Polo in one single color with 1.5TSI 6 Speed manual and LED drls with a slightly better interiors, may be at 14-15L ex showroom only made available for existing polo owners as an exchange..
Old 5th April 2022, 09:29   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

The real "LEGEND" in the Polo story is the Indian customer who bought this same car for 12 years, while some of its competitors saw 3 all-new generation changes in the same time. The "Legend" kept buying the Polo, even after its newer generation was released overseas.

This guy is the true legend (representative image):
Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-d6dd26609aef4f3492caa6fc02fc0bb9-1.jpeg

Great car, but one who's time is up. Heck, I love the 1st-gen Octavia vRS, but shame on Skoda if they tried to sell it today.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks