Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 08:31   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Today we made masala dosa for dinner. A little bit of masala-filling is left over. We have put it in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. Tomorrow morning, whatever is breakfast, we will eat some 'legend edition' masala-filling along with it.
Couldn't have said it any better
Old 7th April 2022, 20:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

For a car that launched a myriad limited editions on essentially a single body style for all its life in India, it was a fitting epitaph. Especially the lack of attention to what is a send off edition. Unfortunately VW hit on the winning formula during the fag end of the Polo's tenure.

The 1.6 GT TDI, the 1.5 TDI, the 1.2 TSI and finally the 1.0 TSI were the gems. If only these combinations had been there at the start, VW would have sold much more than the 300,000 odd examples they sold.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 7th April 2022, 21:37   #48
BHPian

A goodbye letter from Polo
Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-screenshot_20220407_213423.jpg
sachin_cs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:40   #49
ais
BHPian

I'm planning to buy an auto transmission car around 10 lakhs to replace my manual Baleno for use in Mumbai. Despite being a fit sportsman, Mumbai traffic is a bit too much for my left leg in a manual!

Looking at a spiced up Octavia 1.8TSI. Also waiting for the Polo TSI manual demo or sale car to check clutch softness. The Torque Convertor is a mismatch and can't be tweaked, as the experts advise.

Here's how my phone conversation with the Polo sales staff went-

Me- "Hi, I had test driven the Polo DSG with you last year. I'm ready to by a TSI in Blue colour."

Sales representative- "Hi sir! Blue was a limited edition, no longer available. We are booking for the Farewell Edition, which will take 2.5 months to deliver. Colour, in Matt, could be White, Grey, Silver or Red. If you don't like them on delivery, you can cancel for full refund."

Me- "Full refund?"

SR- "Less Rs.1000/- as processing charges."

Me- "That's not fair. It's a gamble, really."

SR- "But people are booking. It's a last chance. Polo is Polo, sir!"

Me- "You should've named it the Nostalgia Edition. Let me know when ready stock is available at showroom."

SR- "The GTI will also probably be launched. International 4.5 metre length at about 22-25 lakhs".

Me- "You had difficulty selling the 99 pieces last time. But let's see when it comes. Maybe VW India can remove the bumpers to get it below 4 metres and call it the Edited Edition."

We ended with a good laugh.

Last edited by ais : 8th April 2022 at 15:45.
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 16:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

The last edition will be for collectors. So Collector's Edition was apt as branding. Why would they refer to it as 'GoodBye', LOLZ. That will work against the product
Old 10th April 2022, 10:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The real "LEGEND" in the Polo story is the Indian customer who bought this same car for 12 years, while some of its competitors saw 3 all-new generation changes in the same time. The "Legend" kept buying the Polo, even after its newer generation was released overseas.
This is true, but there is still not much to offer in the market, not even at that price.
My parents just bought a new base Polo 1L mpi, replacing a 2008 Fabia Tdi elegance. The polo has great handling, is as fast as they need it to go in the city, and looks much better than what anyone else sells. I have a Taigun gt+, and even so the polo has been quite enjoyable to get around town.
Old 10th April 2022, 11:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

More than 5 years on...my 1.2 GTTSI still drives like a gem. The minimalist design (which current designers surprisingly don't seem to know) still is attractive.
More than this Polo going out I'm sad that VW is not getting the MQB Polo to India.

With this, unfortunately there is no good mass market small hatchback in the country!

Goodbye Legend!

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-20220410_09213201.jpeg
Today morning I parked here just to take this photo
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 12:28   #53
BHPian

Greatest hatchback (in India till now) retires gracefully leaving a rich memorable legacy behind it. No sad moment, its time to celebrate the departure when other hatchbacks in the segment have seen 2-3 generations in the lifetime of just one generation of Polo and failed to leave any mark which Polo has left behind.
Old 11th April 2022, 14:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo never re-designed luxury or utility in its segment. But nothing else came close to the sheer driving pleasure it guaranteed every time one got behind the wheels. And the numerous real world examples of stupendous German build quality it offered.

I still remember the day I drove Polo for the first time, and it happened to be a GT TSI! The then SA was boasting of how VW India had managed to get the gearbox from Lambo and Porsche to a mainstream hatchback. To be honest, I had not driven a DSG before, and I was totally blown away by that gearbox and TSI combo.
By the time I could muster enough funds (and courage) to get a new car, VW outdid themselves by launching the 1.6 GT TDI. Fastest Diesel car on papers back then was I20 with 90bhp/220NM torque, and here we had a hatch with the same engine that made its sibling one of the fastest C segment sedans. I was completely floored by the locomotive thrust when I drove it and booked one immediately.

My First GT

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-gt-1.6.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-pic4.2.jpg

And so my Bro-mance with GT started. Due to various circumstances, I had to part ways with my 1.6 GT in 2019, but after a gap of over 5 months, I could only gravitate towards another GT TDI....THE LAST OF THE BEST!

Me second GT

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-cropped.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-tbhp3.jpg

Although SUVish segment is one of the most popular, VW India really messed and missed up an opportunity to retain this wonderful hatch and keep it relevant in today's competitive market.

Here is how my GT is bowing out:

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-164957367376112.jpeg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th April 2022 at 14:54.
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:02   #55
BHPian

Has anyone booked the legend edition in Bangalore? I am getting a quote with zero discounts, mandatory insurance and double the prices for an extended warranty of 2 years. The overall quote is touching approx. 13.5L
Old 15th April 2022, 16:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The overall quote is touching approx. 13.5L
Loose this "Legend" buddy and just go pick an I20 N-line or Turbo for that price range.
Old 15th April 2022, 16:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Has anyone booked the legend edition in Bangalore? I am getting a quote with zero discounts, mandatory insurance and double the prices for an extended warranty of 2 years. The overall quote is touching approx. 13.5L
I enquired with all the dealers in Bangalore couple of days back and none of them were taking bookings. Where are you getting this quote from? But 13.5L seriously? This is making i20 nline look vfm.
Old 17th April 2022, 16:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
But 13.5L seriously? This is making i20 nline look vfm.
The 13.5 number was with an extended warranty (4+2) and 5 years Service Value Pack. Since SVP and Extended Warranty can be purchased later also, I guess it's fine.
Without SVP and Extended warranty price is 12.83L. 0 discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Loose this "Legend" buddy and just go pick an I20 N-line or Turbo for that price range.
I had a previous booking for Highline plus which I converted to GT. The car is getting delivered next week. Finally.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 22:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Has anyone booked the legend edition in Bangalore? The overall quote is touching approx. 13.5L
Which dealership was this?
As soon as I saw the Polo GT legend Edition Post on powerdrift instagram page I called up multiple Dealerships in Bangalore, even the VW support number and everyone said the same thing, all units are sold out.
Thankfully I booked the last available Polo GT(not sure regular or Legend) at Ramani Cars Hosur.
k491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k491 View Post
Thankfully I booked the last available Polo GT(not sure regular or Legend) at Ramani Cars Hosur.
Congratulations. These cars are normal GT, with cosmetic touches to be added before delivery. When is the delivery planned?

In my case, I had a booking with VW Hosur Road for a Highline Plus, which later got converted to GT. Waiting for delivery this week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks