Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 16:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedv8 View Post
3. The Skoda Octavia RS Combi/ saloon

Attachment 2312531

I have banged on about this in my Skoda Kushaq ownership thread. So I'll keep it brief here. These cars were my first wet dream! But, I was 18 at the time and my opinions meant diddly squat at home. Moving on.

Have enjoyed driving every km in this.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-img_20210129_125734116_hdr.jpg  

Arpit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 17:27   #47
BHPian

Re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

For me it would be Fiat Avventura Abarth. It had the superb engine of Avventura Punto amalgamated with the higher ground clearance & awesome looks of Avventura! Sadly it was even more rare than the Punto Abarth itself!
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-f4dcdc7002e84c34a9d48bb733e4d2d8.jpeg  

H0RSEPOWER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 17:30   #48
BHPian

When I got my Punto a decade back the car I actually wanted was the SRV - more power, more room and a Giugiaro styled behind that I was in lust with.

I also really wanted the 1st gen X1. Seems the ideal rear wheel drive car for Indian hill roads - low slung but adequate ground clearance.

I think this is member carrazy’s SRV.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-dbf5c6f5eec64c0f9fef99531f9585b4.jpeg  

Vikram9193 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 17:31   #49
BHPian

Lovely post! I think it is safe to assume that life is more about the 'misses' than the 'hits' and it is no different when it comes to listing out affordable cars that never made my garage.

So here's a list of my 'misses':

HM Contessa (too young to have any say in forcing family to buy this)
Tata Sierra
Daewoo Matiz
Daewoo Cielo (could have compensated for not owning contessa but still not old enough to convince family to buy this)
Honda City (1st Gen), Honda Civic (1st gen) and Honda Accord (v6)
Mitsubishi Lancer
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy
Skoda Octavia (1st gen and the 1st vRS)
VW Jetta
Toyota Liva
Fiat Uno

Thankfully the 'Hits' in my life have delivered well enough to compensate for the 'misses' so no regrets yet!
Ashwin Morey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:05   #50
BHPian

Growing up, We didnt have a car in the household. My uncle had a Gypsy soft top and later a Gipsy King allotted to him as official vehicle and that became a dream car for 8yr old me. We had an Omni and a stock Mark II in the extended family and these were the only other cars I had a good impression of. I really loved Matiz when it was launched and remember pestering my Dad to get one. Later a family friend got a Zen 1st gen which very quickly became the epitome of small cars. i hated Maruti when they launched Zen Estilo it felt like someone destroyed the image of my fav car.

Some other notable mentions

Tata Sierra - I lusted over a Tata Sierra and almost picked up a used one back in 2010 but somehow didnt go through at the last moment.
Lancer and later on Cedia - beautiful and classy .. they dont make cars like ‘em anymore
Pajero - Not an affordable car as such but always dreamt of riding in one.. a dream which has yet to come true
Safari 1st gen - One of the better looking vehicles ever
Contessa - A legend on its own
Baleno 1st gen and City 1st gen - poor mans Merc thats how my cousin referred to these but I honestly loved their looks more than the Merc E250
Old 25th May 2022, 18:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

I could have completed my post with just quoting others but let me just add a few comments to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
It was a Ford Freestyle 1.5L TDCi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu0923 View Post
I got the Figo S TDCi instead.
My first choice would have been the Figo S followed by the Figo Titanium Blu followed by a Titanium. I did check out the S but delayed and then it was discontinued. Last year did a detailed comparison betwen the Altroz Diesel and Figo Titanium Blu but then Ford shut shop. I'm still looking to see if any do come up for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu0923 View Post
Fiat Abarth Punto
Came close to picking up a used one with a lot of upgrades but the seller was not budging on price. And then someone told me that the car had some issues.

Quote:
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S
Quote:
I still regularly search for used Fiests 1.6S in classifieds to this day.
Same here. Even the regular 1.6 will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Fiat Grande Punto - The affordable car that I missed, but really wanted was a Tuscan Wine Grande Punto 90HP.
Again almost bought one in Red but wife didn't like the seating position so settled for an i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
a BMW 320D
This was one of the first premium cars I considered along with the C Class and A4. Started with the E90, then almost finalized the next gen but then settled for the X1. Still think that I should pick up one real cheap (Corporate edition) and get a nice remap. Use as a weekend / evening car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
Skoda Octavia MK1 RS
I had bought a 2nd hand Siena 1.6 (New shape) and the seller had just upgraded to the VRS. I had made up my mind to pick it up from him in 5 years (He was a doctor so upgraded every 5 years). However he upgraded early to the Laura Diesel.

Quote:
City VTEC
Didn't fancy it earlier but now if I find one, I may just pick it up. Same with the Baleno sedan.

Quote:
Fiat Palio 1.6
I should have taken up the dealer offer on the S10. The massive discount. But the Siena was too goo to skip at the time.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

For several people their dream cars were hot hatches, fast sedans, big burly & macho SUVs, but for me it’s an MPV

The one and only, Innova Crysta 2.8L ZX AT specifically in the Garnet Red colour.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-a2ff2e9632b148ed9293e437d6c282bd.jpeg

This is one car that I really wanted badly and still stare at the 2.8L models on the road, GST had just been introduced in 2017, and the car had become cheaper than it was! The perfect opportunity to pick one up, but went with the Creta then. Just don’t like the Hyundai after-sales experience.

I still keep checking out Crysta 2.8s in the market, a well-maintained, low-run example is on my bucket-list currently.

A car that blurs lines beautifully between MPVs and SUVs. It may not have many advanced features but that 2.8L engine took care of all that. On the open road, the 2.8L mill can keep up and beat D segment sedans as well. Backed with the world-renowned reliability, durability and quality this specific engined Innova was, is and will be a gem forever!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 25th May 2022 at 18:44.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:52   #53
BHPian

The never ending Dreams of a boy

Reading the title instantly bought countless images to my mind and made me think about the different scenarios in which they would have been true.
The first love: The Chevrolet Cruze

Name:  63EB7B0F21CE4D46B9C7365EB39A4968.jpeg
Views: 344
Size:  56.1 KB

Just thinking about the Diesel Rocket makes me cheerful I saw it for the first time in 2009 and it was love at first site. I, being a four year old boy, was so excited I told my father “papa I want this car”, but as luck would have it when we bought our next car in 2012 it was the Ertiga due to my grandfather being aged and I being small. Hence the cruise remained a dream…..

The infatuation: The Civic Gen 10

Name:  643C9227393A41818EEA83E6096064DB.jpeg
Views: 360
Size:  41.6 KB

It was 2018 we were at the Honda Showroom buying a City, and I see the beautiful Civic standing graciously in the test drive area, it was a beast with that timeless design and that beautiful cabin. Even today I see the car and keep looking at it with eyes full of lust and desire, hope Honda brings it back to India with a better engine.

The present fling: Polo

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-2db1eb34b44c4b4daef163c0d00e09f5.jpeg

Maybe it is all the articles I read at team bhp about it which have gone to my head, but I wanted to buy a polo GT AT on my 18th birthday but sadly it is discontinued. My father had also approved the car after my constant praise for the German build quality, I hope VW brings the 7 Gen polo to our market.

As luck would have it all my Ex’s(talking about the cars)have left the country.

Cheers
W16Rocks
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 19:06   #54
BHPian

There was a time back in 2014 that i longed to buy a safari storme. Back then it was too expensive for me. Heck, i could not even afford a proper <5L car. Today, I still wish i could get one but now I have completely moved to automatics and the storme is not a 7 seater.

Tried getting a Hexa XTA last year. All the examples i came across (low mileage and high mileage) had some major parts replaced under warranty. Almost All of them had oil sweating. No matter how good the car drove , long term reliability was a question mark for me. Left that.

Audi A6 station wagon- dreaming
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 19:10   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For me, it has to be the Octavia vRS 230.
Priced at 24.xx lakhs, it seemed high back then but now 3-4 years later feels actually less for what it offered!
If only I had senses!
KI07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 19:55   #56
BHPian

Ah, nice thread.

For me, it has been my first love and truly a car that makes me skip a heart beat every time I see one on road. None other than Mitsubishi Pajero.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-pajero.jpg
Pic courtesy: Evoindia
Tuisha110HP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 20:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Had lots of such cars, but one stands above all. Volkswagen Jetta TDI manual, plan was to get one and do stage 2 remap, suspension mod, neat alloys with grippy tyres and strut bar/anti roll bar for improved chassis stiffness. Sadly they don't make it anymore & we strictly have no used cars policy at home (joint family).
Attached Images

giri1.8 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 20:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
Have enjoyed driving every km in this.
Do you still have it with you? If you have a thread about your ownership experience, please do share a link via DM!
Old 25th May 2022, 21:41   #59
BHPian

One sentence. Gen 1 Tata safari.
Attached Images

fulcrum29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 22:17   #60
BHPian

My ‘misses’ include the Opel Astra, Chevrolet SRV, gen 1 safari, CRV 2 nd gen And Mitsubishi pajero sport. I was too young and my family too ‘middle class’ to think of owning these beauties .

For my 1st car, I finalised Chevy beat diesel over swift as the latter was too expensive. 8 years and 1 lakh KMS later the beat was sold, but i wonder if I would have retained the swift for longer.

For my 2nd car, would have loved the city petrol CVT,
But I needed a diesel automatic with high GC and hence went with the Nexon. No complaints with my Nexon at all and love driving it( done 50K in 3.5 yrs including 2 yrs of WFH).
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks