Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 22:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

With me, more than the car i missed the variant. Everytime i bought a car i aspired to buy the top fully loaded one but never could! When i bought my alto k10 , i wanted to buy the Vxi, the then top variant. But then got a great offer on an LXi and had to buy it.

5 years later i made up my mind its either a fully loaded variant or nothing. Went to the ford showroom and nearly booked the Figo titanium. There again, the SA showed me a trend variant of Ecosport that he was willing to give huge discounts on. Alto to ecosport was a significant upgrade for me and i couldn't say no!

Here i make a promise in writing. My next one will be a fully loaded car!
veyron_head is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 23:13   #62
BHPian

Re: Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too

Name:  FiatLineaTJetsedantobelaunchedonJune10.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  32.4 KB

Fiat Linea 1.4 T-Jet :Loved the looks and the engine. And those alloys!!

Didn't get one because it as I was looking for an automatic, also it was out of production by the time I was looking out for a car.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-volkswagenventotaillamps94042-.jpg

Vento 1.5 TDI DSG Highline Plus : Again loved the looks and superb Engine/GB combo and those LED headlights!! They were all novelty back then!

Didn't get specifically because of unreliable DQ200.

PS: Beautiful pics is of course courtesy of Google [search results].
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 23:27   #63
BANNED

These are the cars I regret not being able to buy.

1.Traveller 3050 Flat roof with the 140bhp engine
2. Isuzu D-Max
3. Tata Xenon
4. Thar DI 4x4
5. Abarth Punto
6. Polo 1.6
7. Palio 1.6
Attached Images

Last edited by COMMUTER : 25th May 2022 at 23:36.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 02:47   #64
BHPian

The Innova crysta with that 2.8 liter diesel engine, that motor was just something else, what so called SUV's are doing today by giving 170-180 odd horsepower in their diesel engines and think that their diesel engines are the most powerful ones, they should know that this MUV did that way back in 2016,it was one hell of a car with that diesel engine

The other car would be the polo GT TSI in that red color, it looks smashing in that shade and that 1.0l TSI was a gem of motor.
zaid qazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 07:14   #65
Team-BHP Support

The most desired would the 1.6 Diesel S-Cross. The other 2 which I always thought will make it some time to the market and they always remained a dream.

1. The Jimny
2. The 1.5 Petrol Honda Jazz.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 11:51   #66
BHPian

I was fortunate enough to have been able to own my dream the Fiesta 1.6S and thoroughly enjoyed all the 12 years I had it with me. With a heavy heart I had to let it go this year.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-img_1342.jpg

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-p1180762.jpg

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-img_9732.jpg

My next aspiration was the Mitsubishi Evo X, unfortunately by the time I could muster the courage to even think of buying it at the exorbitant price, it was discontinued
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:20   #67
BHPian

Cars that I wanted to buy but could never even drive (let alone buy):
Skoda yeti: both I and my brother were absolutely in love with this car. While my brother was a fan of the original model launched in India, I liked the sharper front of the updated model.

We both were starting out in our careers and couldn't really afford one back then. I still ,sometimes, look for a well maintained model online.

The other car I would have loved to own is Tata Hexa.
Samegoodkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Every time I see these, I wish I had chosen either -

1. Hyundai Accent Viva (it was a notch back, if I am correct)

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-accent.jpg

(Picture is an Australian model, which is 2 door).

2. Ford Fusion

Name:  Fusion.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  40.4 KB

The third was Chevrolet SRV, but it came after I had already bought a new car.

Driving skills (rather, lack of it) and non-availability of parking space over ruled what could have been on a stretched budget! & the reasons why I couldn't grab a mouth watering offer on the Siena and settle for a Palio instead.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:45   #69
BHPian

The original Scorpio - Getaway, It was always a wet dream.

Name:  1242036428MSGateway1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  41.6 KB

Pic: bsmotoring.com
ThatCarGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 15:11   #70
BHPian

Great thread. Definitely have had many affordable dream cars which I/my family never owned. List goes back to my pre-teen days, when there were only two things on my mind, cars and cricket.

The first car I was smitten by was the Tata Sierra. I don’t exactly recollect why, maybe its butch looks, its standout design or it being a very elusive car. I even had a few (yes not just one) scale models of it, made by Centy toys. However, at that time, my family owned no cars and had no plans of buying one either, hence Tata Sierra remained a dream.

Name:  Sierra.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  26.5 KB

The next one is the Maruti Gypsy. It had the appeal like no other car at that time. MG410 was nice but when MG413W came along, I couldn’t get over it. Luckily, it was my dad’s official vehicle. A big change from the Willy Jeeps he used to get earlier. It was a brilliant, suave car and though we never owned it, we did travel in it a lot and hence this dream was semi-fulfilled.

Name:  Gypsy.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  58.9 KB

Somewhere during this time, I was also bowled over by the Esteem. But it was a passing affair, didn’t last too long.

The car to take Esteem’s place (as a sedan) was the Mitsubishi Lancer. Even today I find Lancer one of the best-looking sedans. However hard I tried, my dad had no plans of upgrading from his M800 and I realized he loves keeping cars for long and therefore gave up. It was during this period that I played Need for Speed and saw Lancer Evo for the first time and became a fanboy for life. Till date, all my game avatars are called – Evo7.

Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-lancer.jpg

My SUV love changed loyalties again and this time it was another Tata sitting on top of my desirable list, the Safari. My friend’s uncle had it in Black color and we would wait months for him to visit town and take us on a joy ride. This was the first car where I learnt about brut grunt from the engine. As late as 2018, I did consider fulfilling the childhood dream and buying a Safari but the Tata horror stories kept me from making the leap. As they say – never meet your superheroes, so I stayed a safe distance away.

Name:  Safari.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  46.9 KB

By now, the Indian market was getting newer and fancier cars each passing day but the car which caught my eye was the Honda Civic. Innovative outside and futuristic inside. That digital speedometer was something else. I wanted dad to buy it when the time came to replace the trusted M800 but it was way beyond the budget. My cousin recently picked up a used Civic in Mumbai and I have had some opportunities to fulfil this pending dream, partially to say the least. What a car!

Name:  Civic.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  53.1 KB

Today, Skoda Octavia and Kodiaq are the dream cars which I will never own though I can afford them, due to Skoda horror stories.

Source of images from internet – copyright of respective owners.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 26th May 2022 at 15:25.
drive2eternity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 16:04   #71
BHPian

All my cars are automatic. Even 20 years back I selected only automatic models because my major use is in Bangalore roads. All of these was affordable dream cars for me which I had to give it a pass.

1) VW Polo GT Automatic. Was a hoot to drive. Gave it a pass because of low GC and back seat space. Ended up with i10 AT which was more practical.
2) BMW X1. 10 years back it was really half the price compared to it’s selling price today. Gave it a pass due to its high maintenance cost. Ended up with Ecosport due to practical maintenance.
3) Duster for the comfort and Creta as overall package. Duster launched AMT instead of a proper AT. Creta was demanding premium for AT models even at launch. Even though it was affordable it was not valuable for the asking price.
4) Innova Crysta Z 2.8 AT. Wonderful car, just did not like it as self driven car. Ended up with Endeavour 3.2.
Old 26th May 2022, 16:29   #72
BHPian

Skoda Yeti. After a lot of procrastination, I have decided to buy and unfortunately, Skoda stopped offering the same two months prior.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable dream cars that never made it to your garage | Share pictures & the reasoning too-skodayeti22.jpg  

Last edited by AjiGTI : 26th May 2022 at 16:31. Reason: spelling
AjiGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 16:32   #73
BHPian

Wow!! This is nostalgia

1. Zen Carbon
2. Alto 1.1 VXi
3. Linea TJet
4. Fabia/Polo 1.6 MPi
5. Polo 1.6 TDi
6. Fiesta SXi
7. Thar Di 4x4
8. Scorpio Getaway
9. Polo GTi
10. Jetta 2.0 TDi
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

My list -
1. Alto 800
2. Zen (Original)
3. Maruti Gypsy
4. Fiat Palio
5. Maruti Van Highroof
6. Tata Estate

Somehow I used to like Tata Estate a lot. It was big and used to look great. If they launch it again, I will buy.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:00   #75
MMV
BHPian

Ford Ecosport

The car we (my wife's initial favourite) could not buy due to long waiting period of 6months in 2013/14. The initial models had a drool factor and was a market maker for that type of vehicles. :-(
MMV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks