Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 10:25   #1
BHPian

LTV license required for driving Innova? Nope

My driving instructor left me quite surprised when he casually mentioned that driving an Innova requires an LTV license. (Light transport vehicle.)

He said I would have to surrender my current license for motorcycle/car and get a new one that has an LTV endorsement.

I asked if one could drive a small milk tanker that was parked nearby w/ LTV license, and he said yes. I.e., that Innova, Safari, Scorpio are all in the same category as small commercial vehicles, and that everyone who has an Innova is driving w/ an LTV license.

I asked if this was based on car length/width, but he said it was based on engine size. If that's the case, the following cars have engine displacement equal to or greater than the Innova diesel:

Skoda Superb 2.5 TDI
BMW (all Indian models)
Benz (all models except C)
Porsche

Someone please confirm that he was wrong.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

I drive my Scorpio with my LMV license and no one has questioned me, several times cops have routinely checked not only in Bombay but also outside the State. Earlier, I used to have a Mahindra Commander, same LMV license.

I don't think that licenses are based on engine sizes, they are determined by vehicle size/ category. If engine size were the criteria, even to drive a Maybach or some such large-engined car, you will require a LTV!!

Kumar
Old 19th June 2007, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

true, Its based on the vehicle category, check your registration paper, is Innova categorized under LTV ??
Old 19th June 2007, 10:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is news. I know lot of people who drive the Innova on their regular DL. Is it a case of the RTO taking advantage via confusion?
Old 19th June 2007, 10:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
I don't think that licenses are based on engine sizes, they are determined by vehicle size/ category. If engine size were the criteria, even to drive a Maybach or some such large-engined car, you will require a LTV!!
True. If the car has a yellow board, this calls for a yearly renewable badge
Old 19th June 2007, 10:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
True. If the car has a yellow board, this calls for a yearly renewable badge

Yellow board vehicles requiring a commercial vehicle license is understandable - but white board vehciles ?
Old 19th June 2007, 10:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

The LMV vehicle license mentions Car/Jeep.
If you drive yellow plate you need LTV.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think if you are driving a car-taxi, you get a LMV-Commercial licence and not a LTV license . For example, we all have LMV-NonCommercial licenses. Licenses are granted as per vehicle category, not type of driver (commercial/non commercial)
Old 19th June 2007, 10:51   #9
BHPian

Sorry to ask what may seem like a dumb question, but what is the significance of a yellow number plate?

I've never seen a vehicle with such. Only with the standard black on white (or the fashionable white on black). I haven't seen any Innovas with yellow plates either.

Apparently, Tata Indicas can have yellow plates as well?
Road warrior gadgets: Head hunter, Sidekick and more « /India/Bangalore/things

Quote:
I think if you are driving a car-taxi,
I.e., if you're driving a vehicle that is used for commercial purposes? Because Indicas are common for taxis, but privately owned as well. Same for Innova.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:10   #10

A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle at any time. A person holding a driving licence for Light Motor Vehicle may however, apply for addition of the class of Medium Motor Vehicle or Heavy Motor Vehicle only after he has held the licence for light motor vehicle for a period of one year. In such cases the applicant should undergo the course of training in driving and produce a Certificate in form No.5 issued by a Driving School or establishment.

Ref: MVD, Department

Last edited by adya33 : 20th June 2007 at 07:30.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes - Yellow number plates indicate a private taxi. And if you want to drive a 4 wheeler sporting a yellow number plate you need a LTV license.

Tell your instructor to go take a hike. You can perfectly drive an Innova with the normal license.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes certainly, I have no problems driving the safari (white plates) on an LMV endorsed license.

Drifter
Old 19th June 2007, 11:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Joke of the year froma joker of an instructor. Ask him from where he got his licence and did he clear the test.

This is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard in my 30 yrs of driving. I've been driving my Safari since '98 and hold a LMV + M/cycle licence. I've never been questioned by the cops on this issue..

FYI, many seasons ago I had a Standard Van as one of the vehicles in the stable for our extended family. It was a 10 seater with private registration. We used to travel to Haridwar/Rishikesh in that with the entire brood of of a dozen piled into it. I also used to drive that on the highways along with my Dad & Uncles who all had/have LMV licence. Never stopped or questioned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
My driving instructor left me quite surprised when he casually mentioned that driving an Innova requires an LTV license. (Light transport vehicle.)

He said I would have to surrender my current license for motorcycle/car and get a new one that has an LTV endorsement.

I asked if one could drive a small milk tanker that was parked nearby w/ LTV license, and he said yes. I.e., that Innova, Safari, Scorpio are all in the same category as small commercial vehicles, and that everyone who has an Innova is driving w/ an LTV license.

I asked if this was based on car length/width, but he said it was based on engine size. If that's the case, the following cars have engine displacement equal to or greater than the Innova diesel:

Skoda Superb 2.5 TDI
BMW (all Indian models)
Benz (all models except C)
Porsche

Someone please confirm that he was wrong.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post

I think ur driving instructor is trying to make some easy money. Tell em u'll get an LTV license if required, but not thru him .
Old 19th June 2007, 11:42   #15
BHPian

Never ever heard of this was driving a toyota land crusier when i even didnt have a driving license ,not even a learners one forget LTV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks