Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2022, 20:43   #286
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti Grand Vitara to debut on July 20 | Pre-bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
The Grand Vitara once came with a 3.2 litre V6 engine producing 230 bhp and 290 Nm of torque.

It was Suzuki’s flagship model along with the XL-7.

Now we have a flagship with a w-e-e-d-y engine. What a shame!

For those who don’t want power Suzuki had plenty of models starting from the S-Presso.
For me the old Grand Vitara was one of the best cars launched in India by Maruti. I think a lot of other enthusiasts would also echo similar thoughts. But we have to admit that huge majority of the market did not think so! And a company would always think from the business perspective. And in that way of thought, the upcoming Grand Vitara is more suitable for the market requirements, a six cylinder beast would have been drool worthy for us, but most probably would have been bombed in the market.
We should remember that if by having a great flagship car the sales can be pushed, then the best flagship car from a mass market manufacturer in India is Nissan GTR, but sales of Nissan did not get much help from that!

Last edited by H0RSEPOWER : 21st July 2022 at 21:10.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 21:25   #287
BHPian

Here is a video of All Grip Alpha Variant

Did any one notice that in comparison to the international S Cross front parking sensors and fog lamps are missing.

Name:  2022SuzukiSCrossfnt620x413.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  48.3 KB

More strangely, Brezza gets dual barrel projector headlamps, and LED foglamps.
Strange are Maruti's ways (of cost cutting)
PraNeel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 22:00   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
We should remember that if by having a great flagship car the sales can be pushed, then the best flagship car from a mass market manufacturer in India is Nissan GTR, but sales of Nissan did not get much help from that!
Halo products are intended to uplift the brand globally and not intended for India alone. Most manufacturers have a halo product for this reason. It also helps to hone their R&D skills a part of which trickles down to the lesser models.

As for Nissan’s failure, Ford closed shop even though it had a halo car with the Mustang, GM closed shop, Peugeot was DOA and more - not because the cars were bad or because they didn’t have halo cars but because most Indian customers are only interested in cars that have external show, features (sun roof!!) and high FE with compromises on quality in key areas not visible or known to the regular customer.

That’s why Kia, Hyundai and Maruti sell well with dismal crash ratings. Of course, halo cars would be lost on such customers.
EV NXT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 22:56   #289
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has never done justice in re-launching their previous cars name: Zen, Baleno and now Grand Vitara.
It’s a different thing that the car will definitely be a success.

Last edited by sunikkat : 21st July 2022 at 22:57.
Old 22nd July 2022, 07:51   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
And a company would always think from the business perspective. And in that way of thought, the upcoming Grand Vitara is more suitable for the market requirements, a six cylinder beast would have been drool worthy for us, but most probably would have been bombed in the market.
True, but Maruti should at least match the competition. Look at the power numbers of competing cars in the same price bracket. Not sure how significant is the impact on on-road performance, but the numbers definitely look way below the market leaders. Probably fuel efficiency took priority during the product planning and definition, but at least having a variant which can match the competition would have changed the game drastically for Maruti.
Old 22nd July 2022, 07:55   #291
BANNED

I really feel, Maruti has planned all their recent launches considering the young buyers need for more tech in their car, without sacrificing on the mileage factor. Maruti cars now offer more tech and mileage, but engines remain more or less the same.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:54   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post

That’s why Kia, Hyundai and Maruti sell well with dismal crash ratings. Of course, halo cars would be lost on such customers.
This very assumption that most Indian customers have heard mentality or are incapable of prioritising key issues like Safety or Engine power or durability is not correct, in my opinion. I do not mean to offend but every human purchase is based on a set of parameters extremely personal to the buyer. They may include affordability or Esteem value or Snob value. When I bought a Toyota Crown, it was a huge upgrade for me from Grand i10 or a Lapin. So, I felt relatively i was in a safer car and a better quality car. But my colleagues recommend Toyota SUVs or MPVs was way better. But the key word was relatively. Without knowing the frame of reference, it is difficult to judge customer purchase pattern.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:55   #293
BHPian

Let's face it. The Indian buyer isn't necessarily a driving enthusiast. Infact most buyers around the globe aren't. Suzuki doesn't cater to those liking molecular gastronomy. It caters to those who like Idli and Butter Chicken. It's a win for them. They tried launching the 1.6 S-cross and it was a dud. They tried going upmarket with the Kizashi and it was a dud. I doubt they will burn their fingers again.
invidious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:24   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this video on YouTube and not sure if it's already been shared here. This talks about the hybrid system in Grand Vitara.

BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:53   #295
Senior - BHPian

I was doing some rudimentary calculations for the Grand Vitara All Wheel Drive variant.

The AWD's kerb weight as per the brochure is: 1260 kgs
The AWD's Gross Vehicle Weight, GVW, is quoted as: 1720 kgs

Thus:
Power to Weight ratio of the AWD version at kerb weight: 81.74 PS/Ton
Torque to Weight ratio of the AWD, at kerb weight: 108.73 Nm/Ton

Power to weight ratio of AWD at quoted GVW: 59.88 Ps/Ton
Torque to weight ratio of AWD at quoted GVW: 79.65 Nm/Ton

Front overhang: 915 mm
Rear overhang: 830 mm

As far as i recall seeing somewhere, the ARAI quoted Fuel efficiency for the, let's say, "normal" versions are somewhere around 19.xxx or 20.xxx kmpl.
That indicates some pretty tall gearing set by the OEM to achieve those figures.

Keeping the above deductions in mind, I wonder how well the GV AWD will perform in off road situations, particularly in India, where off - road conditions means tackling horrendous road imperfections, ruts, ditches, slush, rocks and what not. Will the GV's first gear be even moderately low enough?

This AWD setup seems to be good for smooth, icy/snowy roads, the likes of which are found in most parts of EU and UK in winter. It enhances the vehicles tractive envelope and provides a safety net for potential high speed driving errors.
The GV AWD is very similar to the old Honda CRV's AWD setup which was sold in India. The CRV did suffer from AWD clutch pack overheating and slippage though even when subjected to slightly more than mild off roading conditions, particularly when the vehicle was a bit older having covered 30-40k kilometres.

Yes, I know, the GV AWD, is not an all out off roader and should not be judged thus: but I hope it will be able to tackle slushy trails slightly better than 2WD's can with some deft driving. Watch out for those overhangs though!

Last edited by arjab : 22nd July 2022 at 11:00.
arjab is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:24   #296
BHPian

Is there any other car in the global market which is using the same strong hybrid set-up which will come in Hyryder and Vitara? It will be helpful to check out the reviews of such a car to get an idea of how powerful and efficient this system is likely to be. Thank you for your help in advance!
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:30   #297
BHPian

I am hoping for a decently spec'd mid variant for ~15L-16L OTR (Delhi). It's high time for the government to give strong and mild hybrids relief from the draconian 10/15yrs rule imposed by NGT in Delhi NCR. A strong hybrid should have a lifespan of 25 yrs and a mild hybrid 20yrs.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:32   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB_drives View Post
Is there any other car in the global market which is using the same strong hybrid set-up which will come in Hyryder and Vitara? It will be helpful to check out the reviews of such a car to get an idea of how powerful and efficient this system is likely to be. Thank you for your help in advance!
It is replicated from the Yaris Cross (Hybrid)
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:34   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB_drives View Post
Check Toyota Yaris cross.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:42   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara bookings suggest preference for strong-hybrid.

Almost 54 percent of the 13,000 pre-bookings that Maruti Suzuki has received for the Grand Vitara are for the two strong-hybrid variants – Zeta and Alpha e-CVT.

Quote:
While the actual price announcement, expected in end August, might just turn things in favour of the mild-hybrid variants, with more than
7,000 bookings for the strong-hybrid technology, Maruti is confident that the Grand Vitara will herald the large-scale adoption of full hybrids in India.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd July 2022 at 11:46.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks