Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 15:02   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
Hi guys, I am involved in an accident in national Highway 48 near Kanchipuram. A car in front brakes hard to save a cyclist. I brakes and stopped but the car behind me crashed into me. The car behind me is a police car. He initially wanted me to pay, but later when we came to the station to register complain, the inspector here clearly told him it's his mistake. We agreed to report but now he found out his insurance is not changed from the previous owner and wants me to not register. What should I do?
Hope he did not drive to the police station with what looks like his vehicle's coolant leaking all over the road.

Rear ending = rear ender's fault. On top of that no insurance. Looking at the damage, guess he has hefty bills as well. Serves him right
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:38   #137
BHPian

Re: What to do in case of an accident

Unfortunately, the inspector refused. He took copies of my RC, insurance and refused. The other cop has an additional issue with his insurance, he has not yet transferred the insurance from the old owner
Old 13th April 2021, 22:01   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, the inspector refused. He took copies of my RC, insurance and refused. The other cop has an additional issue with his insurance, he has not yet transferred the insurance from the old owner
Typical cop behaviour. Will refuse to file an FIR unless someone has been injured or dead. Will give out a worthless report with police station seal. Either the other cop has bribed the inspector or used his influence. Even otherwise , they are loath to do the paperwork FIR involves. That's the state of this useless country we live in.

Just hire a lawyer and make him register an FIR immediately. Otherwise all you will get from the other person is nothing or some token worthless amount.

BTW, this insurance not transferred is no big deal.The insurance is supposed to cover for the entire period paid and this has been reinforced by several court judgements.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 13th April 2021 at 22:06.
Old 13th April 2021, 22:24   #139
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Cops tend to stick together. If he offers you money take it, else get it repaired yourself. Unless you're well connected I think this will not go anywhere and you'll just end up wasting time.

If it's any consolation I did manage to complain about a junior police guy to the station incharge once. I'd been asked for a large bribe from a guy on night patrol, it's a long story but the guy made me pay an unreasonably high amount and I'd decided to screw him over. He got a pretty good firing in front of me and I also made a formal complaint. I've found cops tend to take you more seriously when you're better dressed.
I didn't know better then so settled for an NC but in hindsight should have gone for an FIR. For me that had became personal because the guy was too rude but in general I'd say forget and move on.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:14   #140
BHPian

I had to leave without any report from the police station. My insurance is in perfect order, it was the other car's insurance that was not transferred. I am now worried if the other car belonging to a cop will somehow change the case to claim money from my insurance's third party. Can that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Cops tend to stick together. If he offers you money take it, else get it repaired yourself. Unless you're well connected I think this will not go anywhere and you'll just end up wasting time.

If it's any consolation I did manage to complain about a junior police guy to the station in-charge once. I'd been asked for a large bribe from a guy on night patrol, it's a long story but the guy made me pay an unreasonably high amount and I'd decided to screw him over. He got a pretty good firing in front of me and I also made a formal complaint. I've found cops tend to take you more seriously when you're better dressed.
I didn't know better then so settled for an NC but in hindsight should have gone for an FIR. For me that had became personal because the guy was too rude but in general I'd say forget and move on.
I want to forget and move on but I am worried if they play foul.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th April 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Old 10th December 2021, 13:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

What does one do in case of an non-travel/road accident you see happening on the streets?

To be honest, no clear idea. And even though we/I experienced it a few weeks ago, it still leaves a few questions unanswered.

We were in the local market area of Jayanagar, Bangalore, shopping for odd stuff, when in front of us, an aged, seemingly inebriated/dizzy old man, swayed a bit and fell flat on his back on the footpath, hitting his head on the pavement. Right in front of our eyes.

The man was out cold immediately, with blood oozing from the back of his head. There was no cause of his fall, he didn't slip or wasn't pushed by anyone else; he just seemingly lost consciousness and fell flat backwards. We waited for a while from afar, to see if he got up. A passerby tried calling out to him but got no response. Many others just walked by, only appalled by the scene of the blood that was oozing out of his head.

I asked the shop keeper if he was known - apparently not. Most probably a beggar, I was told. I walked out, looked around to see if there were any cops around and headed to the nearest junction. Found two traffic policemen and explained the situation and asked on what to do next. Thankfully, one of them quickly agreed to come with me back to the store entrance. I explained the situation to him on the way back, and he asked me to dial Emergency Services (112) to request for help as he wasn't the right person for this work.

The man was still on the floor, but somewhat (not fully) conscious as he was mumbling while still eyes shut. I got connected by the folks on the emergency line to the local police station and was asked few questions - condition of the individual, location, and sorts. I was told I'd be getting a call from a local emergency ambulance services soon and I should be informing them of the same. Within a few minutes, I got a call from them (seemingly a centralized support team) and I repeated the same details to them. I was further asked if I was related to the individual in question and I replied in the negative. They requested that I stay around till they reach (which the cops too had asked me on the call) and I assured them I'd stay around for a while. I was informed that I'd get a call soon from the ambulance as soon as they could locate a locally available ambulance (service).

Within the next 10 minutes, local police station cops arrived and the traffic policeman went back to his post. By now, the shopkeeper decided to get more active and he explained the situation to them. Either they woke up the man (or he got up on his own), I then saw them trying to converse with him in Kannada and to get more details from him. Thankfully the bleeding had stopped but I didn't see any first aid kit being offered/suggested.

Soon got a call from the centralized support (/ambulance) team asking me again if I was related to the individual and if I'd be waiting when they come to pick him up. I replied in the negative, now that the cops were here and the man was awake (I relayed this information to them). They cut the call after saying that they couldn't provide the ambulance service as there had to be someone along with the individual (I guess probably to account for the monetary cost).

By now, the man was sitting on the pavement, well awake and the cops had disappeared from sight. Not sure what else we could do, we moved out and started walking towards our next destination/shop. Ironically the same man, oblivious of my previous efforts, begged me for some money as I walked past him.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th December 2021 at 13:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks