Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 00:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I dont think you can call 100 from a cell phone. Can you?
Cell phones are supposed to be able to call emergency numbers (100) even if the SIM is not there..

Useful thread..

@GS300 - Hope things are fine your end..

Nimz
Old 12th October 2007, 05:43   #32
BHPian

The Emergency number to be dialled from any cell phone is 112.
It works even if you have no sim/network or even when your keypad is locked.

112 is a universal number guys, 100 can not be dialled like that from any cell phone.

Coming back to the topic, I would like to add that if its a commercial vehicle, tell the driver to call the owner of the vehicle at the spot (with cops around). It's best then, otherwise the drivers will always say they have no money/can't afford to pay. They'll even agree to go to the police station or lock up the vehicle, which will in turn be our own waste of time due to non avalibility of our vehicle too and rounds of the courts.
Old 12th October 2007, 07:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
The Emergency number to be dialled from any cell phone is 112.
It works even if you have no sim/network or even when your keypad is locked.

112 is a universal number guys, 100 can not be dialled like that from any cell phone.
Doesnt seem to be the case in Blore (ateast from Airtel)

Nirmal
Old 12th October 2007, 12:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yeah this 112 is a SOS NUmber - Does not work from Agra Reliance at least.

The best thing to do when in an Accident is to visualise what happens next.

Scenario 1 - If you are the victim and you are hit with no fault of yours + you are at the receiving end. It makes sense to speak to the other bloke who caused the accident. If possible try to get someone to call the police so that they can take over.

Scenario 2 - If an accident happens at night and you are alone on a highway, BUT your car also is in Moving state. I would Say - GET OUT of there as quick as possible. No difference if you are at the giving or receiveing end. Just flee from there. Call someone and then see if it is possible to reach Police.

Scenario 3 - If you are the Cause of the Accident, and also worse if you runover someone / Kill someone, And you have a chance to escape - DO SO IMMEDIATELY !!! ( Now I know this would trigger some protest ) BUT at least in North India you ought to, because people would then mob you - burn your car or even hurt you. Happens everyday !!!
In this case try to get away from the site and call Police ASAP or head towards the nearest Police Station - Cops are generally very helpful if you go to them yourself and explain everything.

If you cause an accident and you see no one there, then I would suggest you to help the other person / take him/her to the hospital. New law states ( Sep 2007 ) that when you bring someone in Emergency Hit and Run incidents - your liability finishes the moment you drop the victim to the hospital. It is the hospitals duty to trace the victim / contact police. You can leave without any official paperwork

Also when in a accident - Always remember one thing - The Law states that you should have a Valid Driving License during the time of the accident - No one can touch you then. If you without a DL then you are in Big trouble ( Of course the reality is quite different and Harsh )

Drunken Driving of course is Illegal - PERIOD

I have seen a few accidents myself and I have been at the receiving end most of the times. Though not very serious but never the less I have seen people tend to flee away from the spot as soon as they see an accident. I do not blame them because then the crowd seems to get really Rude.

And yes, Taking snaps of the accident vehicle always helps in Claims etc.
Also noting the other Cars Reg Number helps in lodging a FIR.

Cheers !!!
Old 12th October 2007, 12:15   #35

Accidents..

Just moved back to desh from US. Seeing the traffic here, a scrape is just
a matter of time. I am going to be buying a new car and I therefore find
this discussion very relevant. With the crazy brownian motion traffic here
how do you figure out who is wrong ? Does it mostly boil down to a shouting match ? When you get into a scrape with a rickshaw or cyclist is
it always the car guys fault however egregious the other person's fault is ? And when you get rear-ended is it always the other guys fault irrespective of the circumstances as is the case in the US ?

That comment of the "mob mentality being the current fad" certain puts
the chills in me, especially after I heard last week about a road-rage related death in B'lore of a distant relative of some family friends of ours.
Admittedly these things are rare, but you see so much pent up frustration
these days that maybe going over the edge is a real possibility ?

Maybe it is always a good idea to drive around with a cheap digital camera
in the glove box!!

Keebs
Old 12th October 2007, 12:33   #36
BHPian

I would second, Vkochar, In case of an accident, the most mature thing to do is to try to help without causing harm to yourself.

Like in case of 1. speak and be polite, the other person maybe fearing for his life, and can act irrationally. So be cautious.

For 2 and 3 the best place to flee is to nearest police checkpost. Cause you would be already shaken, and surrendering before them is the best thing to do to you and the victim, if there is one.

If no one is in sight when you have an accident and there are victims, please help the person, and proceed towards the police station.

In all the above cases, I would assume that you would be badly shaken up. So onece in the police station, please call your freinds, family, so that they can help you through this crisis situation, if you have not already done so.
Old 12th October 2007, 12:53   #37
BHPian

100 works from cell phones when dialed with city code. like 080-100

Best thing is to call someone who you know can help out, use someone else's brain if your isn't working at that moment!

Your company admin staff also might be great to try first.
Old 12th October 2007, 12:58   #38
Team-BHP Support

Threads merged.

Guys please point the thread starter to an existing topic rather than discussing something several times in several threads.

Some more threads for reference :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-accident.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...breakdown.html

cya
R
Old 12th October 2007, 14:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

If the accident has happend on the highway in the night say like some child crossed the road without looking left or right..and got crushed under my car?should i stop??or should i like ..switch off my headlights+parking lights so that no one notes down my number and flee?

Just a question with no relation to any person living or dead.

Last edited by humyum : 12th October 2007 at 15:01.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:03   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
If the accident has happend on the highway in the night say like some child crossed the road without looking left or right..and got crushed under my car?should i stop??or should i like ..switch off my headlights+parking lights so that no one notes down my number and flee?

Just a question with no relation to any person living or dead.
This question has 2 answers
1. The morally correct answer
2. The practically correct answer.
The choice, my friend, is entirely yours to make, and depends on your conscience only.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This question has 2 answers
The choice, my friend, is entirely yours to make, and depends on your conscience only.
lovely reply. i think it sums up the thread. to be morally correct or practically correct.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:09   #42
Team-BHP Support

let our prayer be that we never face that question.
Old 12th October 2007, 17:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
New law states ( Sep 2007 ) that when you bring someone in Emergency Hit and Run incidents - your liability finishes the moment you drop the victim to the hospital. It is the hospitals duty to trace the victim / contact police. You can leave without any official paperwork
That email doing round was a hoax. Read here:
Jai Hind: Proud to be an Indian » “Right to Emergency Care” - A flooding rumour
And here: The Judgement Information System
Old 12th October 2007, 18:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post
Huh !! And I really thought it was a genuine E-Mail !!

It did make sense, did it not ?

Crazy Government and Law of ours !! Really !! They should implement this ASAP.
Old 12th October 2007, 18:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

[quote=tsk1979;593205]This question has 2 answers
The choice, my friend, is entirely yours to make, and depends on your conscience only.[/quote

The first option comes at at terrific price and risk, given the mob mentality the janta has.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks