Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 08:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Is excessive research bad for car buying?

When I praised a Skoda Rapid or Renault Duster, this forum had reported so many fuel injector failure issues, when it was time to appreciate a Honda WR-V there were questions on my claims of this being a powerful car. Most of the people who buy cars will go by the mass opinion.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 09:22   #17
BHPian

I think we are missing the point the OP was trying to make : whether or not a buyer (informed buyer?) gets more confused reading up about pros and cons of available cars. It is in fact a big "problem" with too much data on car performance and user experience available at our fingertips : the problem of which car to reject.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
For Honda, I wouldnt think twice before buying it even if some people say that Honda may leave as I am confident that this wont happen and even if that happens, service will not be a hassle.
Hoping so too. Lets see what they have for us in the next 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Now eliminate the biggest devils one by one, and identify ones that you can sleep with, and you will get an answer.
Thats a good point. thanks !

Quote:
You can widen your options by being a bit flexible. For example, if you choose another colour instead of red, will that work out?
We did, added Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
What exactly do you want to buy? What is your budget? What are your requirements? What are your priorities? If you can list out these things, you would have some clarity about the available options and it'll be easier to pick one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
You have mentioned few sedans and a one SUV too. Which category of car your looking for? What are your priorities? Your kind of usage? These details are essential for forum members to put forth their opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post

Which car to buy now?

Who is the primary user? If you are the primary driver, then you know the answer. It’s in your post itself.

We wanted a sedan in first place. But with the handful of choices we have in India, I added Harrier (simply because I like it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
No car is perfect. You have to decide what features you absolutely need and absence of which is a deal breaker and everything else is good to have but not essential. For e.g. Good service network may be an essential feature for you and for somebody it can be as simple as a rear windshield wiper.
It is good to have extensive reading material easily accessible, so that one can filter according to their essentials list.
True. Good service network and after sales are a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
For buying a car, I don’t do much of reading and research. I do take feedback from like minded people (also forums like team bhp), but ultimately the decision is only based on my test drives and requirements. There are final products which you can test and compare.

So to summarise, there is nothing good or bad with too much research. It’s depends on individual preferences and ability.
The problem is, if I wouldnt have read about the EPC/AC issues with VW and their aftersales I might have even bought them. But now that I have read it, it makes me nervous to even think of buying those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Even though it does tend to get frustrating to wait for the perfect product, buying a product fully knowing it's issues and then suffering with it does not seem like a very smart thing to do especially when the product is something like a Harrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
You should now proceed with the process of elimination, list out the pros and cons of all the vehicles you have shortlisted/will shortlist, and then eliminate those cars which are the furthest apart from what a practical ideal car in your mind would be.
It is very frustrating to be honest. Every time we shortlist something, I read about the pros and cons. In most cases the cons are overweighing the pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

There isn't an one true car that's best to own. You just need to choose which one you can live with.
Yes. Hopefully I will be able to choose one which I can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
It's called " analysis paralysis", the more you analyse the more difficult to take a decision.
Absolutely perfect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
As far as Hybrids are concerned, the Honda City Hybrid eHEV is a good choice, although you are paying the premium for the Hybrid technology and being an early adopter. Moreover as more and more Hybrids and EVs hit the market, prices will stabilize.
Hopefully they will start production of the Red/Silver soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Problems with machines will happen and solutions will be there. This is where your relationships will be a big help. And last but not the least, take good care of your car. Use it well, and enjoy !
Buying new cars and facing problems is a problem !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Bottom line - information is good, how you digest it and make choices if up to you. The duty of a good citizen is to be well informed!
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I think we are missing the point the OP was trying to make : whether or not a buyer (informed buyer?) gets more confused reading up about pros and cons of available cars. It is in fact a big "problem" with too much data on car performance and user experience available at our fingertips : the problem of which car to reject.
This is exactly what I wanted to say in the first place. Thanks for putting it in so less words !
Mumbaiker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
I am now thinking if I should stop reading/researching about the cars and just go with my heart?
You can learn on your own or from those who have shared their experience on this forum.

There is one catch - there will be that one vehicle that may catch your attention, makes you sign up for it despite all its flaws. Go with it.

However, we have seen many forum members going against their own first instincts and then end up with a lemon. So stay well clear of the obvious ones.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is, if I wouldnt have read about the EPC/AC issues with VW and their aftersales I might have even bought them. But now that I have read it, it makes me nervous to even think of buying those cars.
On the contrary I would say it is great to have these many information available. Atleast now you can take a calculated decision. End of it, you need to have your set of priorities that are non-negotiable and some which you can ignore, albeit with some risk.
When I got an Octavia in 2016, almost every one were against it. Many were pushing me for Corolla, Elantra etc. And honestly those days Skoda customer service was bad too. But then for me the engine, ride and handling etc were non-negotiable and I was ready to take risk on reliability and went against the herd mentality. At the same time I was mentally prepared for couple of breakdowns in a year, different thing I never had one in these years.
Now coming back to your OP, if you read up every car will have more cons. For that matter buying a car against renting UBER/Ola will have its own cons all over internet - but you decided to buy a car. But atleast these information or overdose of information is helping you to be prepared if something happens. But ultimately decision is yours based on what you actually need and what you can compromise.

Last edited by sunikkat : 1st August 2022 at 11:19.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Buying new cars and facing problems is a problem !
Nobody is perfect - neither you, nor me, nor any car company. Possibility of problems is why warranty & extended warranty are there for us. Problems are not the end of the road, and when problems do happen, relationships make things easier.

Unless you get lemon.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:02   #22
BHPian

No such thing as too much research, but don't get stuck in a rut or cycle. I think its very important to weight the pros and cons with that you ultimately want. Aside from genuine issues or an ultimate lemon, what you really want and what is practical and important for you and your use will dictate the car you buy.

ASS experiences are seldom memorable and are equal across all brands. I've had experience with Honda, VW and now Tata (with the latest Safari). The ultimate truth here is that get what you need, ignore the rest, be aware and do not give in. Tata needs an absolute - bakwas side mein rakho, kaam karo - type of a thing.

I wanted a reliable & comfortable at high-speeds car for 7 ppl, the safari is above most cars in this respect. Research and TD for me took more than 7 months :P I now live with a left-pull problem that comes and goes ... but it's a small compromise.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd August 2022 at 04:58. Reason: Typo
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 16:24   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I don’t think you can do to much or to little research, be it for a car, or any big decision you take in life. There is no good or wrong way. You need to do what you feel comfortable with. Not with what others do or say.

The one advise I would give is to try and decide for yourself 1 or 2 things that are really important to you to enjoy your new car. Obviously, buying a car is a major financial decision, but as this is a car forum I am assuming most of our members want to enjoy their car ownership. So if you pick a car for it’s excellent fuel efficiency, but it looks awful, make sure you can live with that for years to come.

I do very little research to be honest. I go primarily by look and feel. I want to get a smile on my face when I look at my car, get behind the wheel, look at the dash. Having something that pleases me all the time, it is usually easy to live with the slightly less favourable points of the car.

I bought an old Jeep Cherokee about 5 months ago. I just love the look of it. It’s boxy, square with a very simple interior. It’s not very fast, it still has leaf springs at the rear! So performance isn’t exactly up to modern standards. Our Ford Fiets is a much quicker, quieter, safer car and drive much better. Still, I enjoy my Jeep immensely! Every time I drive it, I am enjoying myself. Makes me forget the huge fuel bill and costly road tax!

Yes, a car might have to fulfil all sort of your functional requirements, fair enough. But make sure whatever you buy and regardless of how you make your decision, you get yourself something that you will enjoy for a long time!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 16:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Getting as much information as possible on vehicles on one's list is never too bad, but I did notice that too much information than can one process may result in customer become more confused than ever.

Gather all the information, process it in head, rationalize, and if still one is not sure about which car to buy on one's shortlist, then one should follow one's heart.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:48   #25
Team-BHP Support

Most buyers do research and reading before purchase of a car is because it is fun. People do it because they are interested in it. It does not feel like a chore.
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 19:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I am now thinking if I should stop reading/researching about the cars and just go with my heart?
My personal experience here -

I would read on to the Official Team BHP reviews and get to know the car. It ends there. Unless there is a new thread on the niggles/issues and is a prominent one across most users, I don't heed to any reviews/comments. Stay away from the paid artists aka vloggers in YouTube.

Listen to your mind and heart and choose the best that suits you.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 22:08   #27
BHPian

Part of the problem is that todays Cars are all more or less the same. None of them offer unique proposition.

Consider hatchbacks in 2010 -
There was Ford and Fiat for solid build and sporty steering; Maruti for their Frugal and inexpensive Swifts and Ritzs, i20 for features and city friendly handling; the Polo for quality, handling and premium feel, and then the Jazz which was rocket Science at a price.
Also, we had a stricter budget. We wanted some, but could only afford some.

Today, it is very difficult to seggregate these manufacturers. They all have same tyre sizes, similar EPS, engines though different don't stand out so much from the others, similar interior quality, all digital knobs that take away the touch factor, more than sufficient power figures, less than average fuel consumption figures, and a feature list catalogue that can confuse the best.
To top it all, budget is extremely flexible, as the percentage salary component for a car is less than what it used to be, which leaves one confused between a Sedan/ hot hatch and an SUV.

Other reason, we all get confused is that: We liked neither the most, or, we don't need a new car now, and are waiting to see if antyhing on the Horizon is a better proposition.

My Suggestion:
Buy a safe car that you love the most, and put up with the niggles if they are to occur. Take care of the car on the road and off it.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 22:38   #28
BANNED

Buddy, it's very simple. Every body finalises anything and everything based on one simple equation "the best compromise". The best compromise would be different for each one of us. For some, resale value cannot be compromised. For some, after sale service cannot be compromised. For some, tech features cannot be compromised. For some, safety features cannot be compromised. For some, driving fun cannot be compromised. There can be permutations and combinations with the above non compromised factors to arrive at the best compromise.
Have you ever thought of a community which does most of the engine and gearbox modes 'the VAG community' (Am talking about the scene in Kerala). Are they not aware of the DSG woes or the not so good after sale experiences. So it all boils down just one and only one thing "the best compromise".

Last edited by pavi : 1st August 2022 at 22:40.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, for the confused buyer, YES the multiple choices create lots of hassles and paralysis of decisions while zeroing in upon the right one. They sometimes get so confused that they ask their friends for the colour shade choice rather than discuss it with family members. And even after buying a car he cribs that the 'other car' parked in front of my neighbour's house would have been a better choice.

For the pragmatic, logical and right thinking buyer, NO as the multiple choices are a boon for him to finally select the right car.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:29   #30
BHPian

Cars are the next biggest thing to buying a home, and hence a certain amount of research is definitely called for.

You can reduce fatigue and frustration by listing down all your priorities (and budget), and narrowing down your choices to what best matches your needs and wants. Once the head comes to terms with the shortlist, let the heart take the final decision
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks