Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 09:52   #61
BHPian

Re: Is excessive research bad for car buying?

If you have narrowed down to a couple of options and can't make up your mind, leave that decision to a toss of a coin or dice. There's only diminishing returns beyond a point.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:23   #62
BHPian

There is nothing like a 'perfect' car. No matter how much money one is ready to pump, it all boils down to one thing - clarity.

Without clarity, whichever car one purchases, will not provide the expected amount of happiness or satisfaction.

Clarity means, being sure what one wants.
Looks?
Power?
Mileage?
Brand snob value?
Value for money?
Safety?
After sales service?
Performance?
Market leader?

So on and so forth....

Zero in on your top 3 deal breakers and stick to them no matter what.
If there is a tie, factor in a 4th variable and so on until there is only one option left.

Obversely....

Go for what your heart wants. After all the heart wants what it wants.

Mind you, there is no car which guarantees you zero problems. What matters is how happy and content you are with your car despite the problems.

My strategy would be a mix between logic and emotion. Both need to be reasonably satiated.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 10:48   #63
BHPian

Yes, too much research is a double-edged sword.

I have been looking to purchase an additional vehicle for the last 1.5 years. I had listed down my requirements too, but sadly, no vehicle is 100% befitting.

At last, I compromised a bit and booked a new ScorpioN.

My requirements were quite simple. (auto SUV/crossover/MPV with a budget of 20 lakhs) -

1. A five-star rating.

2. Solid construction (for example, the thud of the door).

3. Six airbags, electronic stability control, and hill hold.

4. Auto folding ORVM, auto dimming IRVM, Tilt/telescopic steering, rear wiper, driver seat height adjustable + mandatory safety features.

Only XUV and ScorpioN came closest to my requirements.

I don't care for touchscreens, steering controls, ventilated or powered seats, sunroofs, etc.

Last edited by Indepth : 4th August 2022 at 10:49. Reason: Spacing
Old 4th August 2022, 12:02   #64
sse

I was not so much into reading car reviews until the situation forced me to research on pro’s and con’s of each car in our range during our purchase. What happened was, internet threw us lot of opinions for any car.

For example, When we were discussing on a particular car, we came across articles from both the extreme. We were stuck with much information on engine issues, horror service stories etc. It led to discussions like, if I buy this particular car - ‘what if’ the engine issues crops up, ‘What if’ service centre does not provide us with good service during the difficult times etc. Now, not all customers face issues and not all customers get bad service. But it helped us understand was what we are getting into, rather than be shocked when it happens.

My friend took delivery of a car which is known for gear issues. He absolutely loved the car and he took an informed decision. If the issue cropped up, his driving pleasure outweighs spending six figures on repairs ‘if’ the problem occurred.

In my case, I eventually bought a Nexon with the horror stories were mostly about service centre. So, I know what we were getting into and that helped.

The lesson I learnt was, first shortlist car that suits your needs. And then read much about the niggles, issues, pros and cons that owners face on the shortlisted cars. Then take an ‘informed decision’. Try to understand what you are getting into.

No car is perfect, but don’t let that ruin the process of shortlisting, researching, booking and driving your new car.
sse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 17:56   #65
BHPian

I have always wondered if the actual total cost of a new car also includes the cumulative time-value of research and discussions with the family, and of follow-up during the waiting period.

Rather just pick the last year's bestseller within your budget and save lakhs worth the time.
Old 4th August 2022, 20:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
This comes from my current experience.

4. Tata Harrier - Boy, has this been my dream car (wife doesn't really like SUVs)! But I read and found so many issues including engine replacements, steering wobbles, idle vibrations and other niggles with the infotainment.

I am now thinking if I should stop reading/researching about the cars and just go with my heart.
"Gau fur ur haart, yai say" as my HOD would say during my PG days .

Go for the harrier/safari (the harrier has much better handling). Lemons in d harrier have largely been sorted out. Most of the complaints are from the BSIV models, yes u have a higher chance of a lemon with a TATA that with Honda.

What u might face (if end up with a lemon) is a glitchy ICE, but lots of very helpful forums and social media groups with folks through out India ready to help a fellow Harrier/Safari owner in distress. And it is Indian too (less royalties being paid abroad)
Happy motoring no matter what you choose...regards
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 20:30   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps454 View Post
"Gau fur ur haart, yai say" as my HOD would say during my PG days .

Go for the harrier/safari (the harrier has much better handling). Lemons in d harrier have largely been sorted out..............

...........What u might face (if end up with a lemon) is a glitchy ICE, but lots of very helpful forums and social media groups with folks through out India ready to help a fellow Harrier/Safari owner in distress. And it is Indian too (less royalties being paid abroad)............
Good to find someone touting the Harrier. Great car to own, but always some niggling fear that you could end up with a lemon. And given the Tata Motors reputation for inconsistent after sales service that could be a nightmare.

Just a couple of questions. One, do you or someone you know, own a Harrier? Two, are the glitches restricted to ICE and not any mechanical issues?

Will be happy to receive your feedback since I am in the market for a new car and the Harrier is on the shortlist, the other car being the Compass.
Old 7th August 2022, 09:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
This comes from my current experience.
All of your above choices except the Harrier are good enough. If you think you might have issues with the DSG, get a manual instead. It's lighter and is the better choice, always and every time. I really don't understand why anyone would ever pick an automatic. You really cannot go wrong with a Japanese or a German car. As for Tata/Mahindra, you're just asking for trouble. You don't want to be a Guinea pig for their low-quality experiments. I'm sure you value your money enough not to just throw it away at unethical brands who sell junk without spending money on R&D. Lastly, don't buy a vehicle for looks/features alone. See the build quality, performance, handling and the overall fit and finish of the materials being used. Features are just shallow gimmicks, and you won't be using half of them a couple of months down the line. Good luck with your choice!

P.S. In that price range, you might also want to consider a pre-owned luxury car (BMW, Mercedes, etc.)

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th August 2022 at 10:01. Reason: Spell. Let's be gender- neutral, Thanks.
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:52   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
If you think you might have issues with the DSG, get a manual instead. It's lighter and is the better choice Always and Everytime. I really don't understand why anyone would ever pick an automatic.
You are a bit old school I guess as in automatics are only for ladies. With the increasing traffic in our cities and the sheer convenience, automatics are the preferred transmission nowadays among city folk. Why do you think many luxury cars come in automatic only? or why most cars in UAE are automatic? Moreover as the world is moving towards hybrids and EVs manuals are going to disappear sooner rather than later.

I am not against manuals or the thrill of driving a manual, but automatics have their own advantages which far outweigh their disadvantages in modern times.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Quoted text edited
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:47   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Good to find someone touting the Harrier. Great car to own, but always some niggling fear that you could end up with a lemon. And given the Tata Motors reputation for inconsistent after sales service that could be a nightmare.

Just a couple of questions. One, do you or someone you know, own a Harrier? Two, are the glitches restricted to ICE and not any mechanical issues?

Will be happy to receive your feedback since I am in the market for a new car and the Harrier is on the shortlist, the other car being the Compass.
Well I own a HArrier XZA 2021, no issues so far. Surprisingly even the ICE has been glitch free. I have joined 4-5 Harrier/Safari forums over various social media groups. What I have noticed is :-

1) wireless Car play (apple) drops while the Android Auto works better, solution is to change something called the "silver box". So far done free of cost. One owner got his ICE changed under warranty, but he had fiddled with the coding (was able to play videos while driving and what not), dont know how he managed that. This issue is common with both Harriers and Safaris.

2) Another issue that plagues the launch Harriers and Safaris is something called the "left pull" or as someone jokingly said "left lane assist". I think this issue is with the Safaris chiefly and is solved by most TASS initially by tyre rotation and alignment, if that does not work, the car is jacked up and something called a "sub-frame shift" is done. That solves it. Plagues roughly about 1% of the Safaris from these groups, some people are common among groups so the number could be lower.
Some of the older BSIV Harrier owners also complain of a similar issue but seems to be torque steer by how they describe it.

The general consensus amongst most owners is that the ICE glitch is livable and does not bother them much and most are happy with the vehicle. TASS is a hit or miss, but members of these social media groups help each other out and use their collective bargaining power with the TASS. Lots of get-a-ways and meets too (specially during the monsoons, both of local chapters and national meets, apart from SOUL) if you are up for that sort of thing.
kaps454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
You are a bit old school I guess as in automatics are only for ladies. With the increasing traffic in our cities and the sheer convenience, automatics are the preferred transmission nowadays among city folk. Why do you think many luxury cars come in automatic only? or why most cars in UAE are automatic ?. Moreover as the world is moving towards hybrids and EVs manuals are going to disappear sooner rather than later.
I am not against manuals or the thrill of driving of a manual, but automatics have their own advantages which far outweigh their disadvantages in modern times.
Well I, myself live in a city and it's quite populated. I know what you're saying about the convenience in traffic, but being an enthusiast I would still take a manual over an automatic any day and twice on Sunday. In fact, any true enthusiast would do that. The sheer Engagement, Joy and Thrill of a manual far outweigh the convenience of an automatic. I mean if I'm lethargic enough to drive an automatic, I'd rather be driven around in a taxi or a public transport. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of owning a car in the first place. It's all about your passion for cars irrespective of the situation around you.

As for your comment about luxury cars or cars in UAE being automatic, well UAE is not a benchmark for transmissions, no country is, for that matter. I don't know why you would specifically mention that country while the majority of 'Real' Enthusiasts are in the US. As for luxury cars, they are meant for people with money and most of them will be driven around by a chauffeur and only a small percentage will be enthusiasts and out of those only a few will even know the actual importance or purpose of a Manual. Companies want to maximize their profits, those times are long gone where cars used to be made for Purists and Enthusiasts. They make what sells in the market and thanks to the lack of knowledge these days, automatics and fake electric steering cars are selling. Those who actually care, are too less for brands to even consider into the equation while designing cars.

Also, just so you know, every now and then most of the sports cars and sports sedans come out with manual versions just for those who know about cars and enjoy driving them. Porsche GT4, GT3, BMW M2, Audi S4, etc. being the case in point. But obviously you won't find many of these in India because again there is lack of knowledge and people here place 'convenience' over the sheer driving pleasure. So, it doesn't make sense for brands to offer models that probably will be bought by only 5% of their consumer base.
Old 7th August 2022, 12:03   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
As for your comment about luxury cars or cars in UAE being automatic, well UAE is not a benchmark for transmissions, no country is, for that matter. I don't know why you would specifically mention that country while the majority of 'Real' Enthusiasts are in the US. As for luxury cars, they are meant for people with money and most of them will be driven around by a chauffeur and only a small percentage will be enthusiasts and out of those only a few will even know the actual importance or purpose of a Manual. Companies want to maximize their profits, those times are long gone where cars used to be made for Purists and Enthusiasts. They make what sells in the market and thanks to the lack of knowledge these days, automatics and fake electric steering cars are selling. Those who actually care, are too less for brands to even consider into the equation while designing cars.
But obviously you won't find many of these in India because again there is lack of knowledge and people here place 'convenience' over the sheer driving pleasure. So, it doesn't make sense for brands to offer models that probably will be bought by only 5% of their consumer base.
I truly appreciate your enthusiasm and love for driving, but people like you are an endangered species nowadays.
Why I chose UAE is because I lived in UAE and Oman for the entirety of my life, and obviously your legs wouldn't allow you to buy a manual there.
Moreover as I iterated earlier with Hybrids and EVs taking over the automobile space. Manuals are slowly but surely on their way out.
Only the biggest of enthusiasts will hold on to the vintage manuals.
Old 7th August 2022, 18:01   #73
BHPian

I think all the available information is good to have, but one should not give much thought about it, specifically the negative ones. A person who is obsessed with some negativity about a brand or a model may just be a fan boy of another brand or model. Or may be the person advocating a brand or a model has never owned anything other than that.

In my office parking space I see quite a few Skoda and Volkswagen vehicles. Some of the owners are known to me. I had enquired them about these maintenance nightmare stories and reliability issues that I get to hear about these vehicles. Interestingly each one of them is very much satisfied with their vehicles.

I think at the end what matters the most is what you want from your vehicles. Different people have different expectations, so one needs to decide accordingly. There are people who want a vehicle that every one else has, and there are people who want exclusivity
Old 7th August 2022, 18:10   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruba_Nazira View Post
I think at the end what matters the most is what you want from your vehicles. Different people have different expectations, so one needs to decide accordingly. There are people who want a vehicle that every one else has, and there are people who want exclusivity
Totally agree with your views here, some people follow the herd, others go along the unknown path, like my friend who wants a car under 20 lakhs that is good enough and is an automatic but doesn't want the popular models, guess what he went for! the Nissan Kicks 1.3 litre turbo petrol CVT! Personally, I feel its a good choice nonetheless, moreover he doesn't care about resale or whether the car will be discontinued or not! With Nissan Kicks hardly selling a couple of hundred units a month, exclusivity is a given.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks