Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2006, 14:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

The problem with the optra is, its the jack of all trades.
1. Performance : good but not the best
2. FE : Decent, but not the best
3. Handling : ditto, great but not the best

So when somebody asks "I want the best performing car", people say VTEC or Baleno.
"I want a high FE D segment : Toyota corolla.
Moreover, in our forum, or rather any car forum, its the performance which is talked about. Palio 1.6, Baleno, VTEC are favorites here, and they are all great performers. If I post a question I want to buy a new car but I will never be driving above 40kmph, nobody will recommend me these! Optra is not really a "sporty" car. And It certainly does not have any Fanboy's. It does not inspire passion like a red GTX would do. It does not exude in your face performance looks like the corolla. Its a Family wagon, Appealing to the guy who takes his wife to see the moon, not the racer type who thinks every red light is a drag flag. So with no passion, the volume of recommendations goes low, with comments like, optra's a nice car, you can consider. And nobody wants nice, naughty is in

But going by sales numbers, optra is picking up. The 1.6 is actually a better engine than the holden unit IMHO, but then its a matter of preference.

What goes against the Optra is GM. GM is actually in financial doldrums all over the world. A company in such a state cannot focus on R&D. Its the first thing that takes a hit. So while optra may be great, there wont be many upgrades in terms of Engine etc., nothing new, nothing phenomanal.
Old 13th March 2006, 14:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
optra is jack of all trades master of none
Its Master of Comfort. (OD Auto Performace Test it was rated 1st in Comfort which included the Mercs as well)

Its Master of Stabilty - The faster you go the stabler the car is.

Ride is ok - But as speed builts up it absorbs bumps better.

Interiors are the best in class. Again Master.

Equipment Level - Is again Master in Class and the Value of Money too is.

The only Cons of the Optra the magazines say are - Lack of Co Driver Airbag and ABS. Which has now been sorted out by GM.

Also performance is quite good if not excellent for a car of this size. In traffic i can assure you this car can keep up with the likes of Vtec or RS. It might not beat them but it will always keep them in sight. The amount of torque it has makes it a very good car for city as well as highway driving.

Handling Is Excellent if you ride on 15inchers.

Quote:
I think Ford should be sweating - with the Aveo coming in anytime !
16th its hits the showrooms. Confirmed.

My personal Advice to all - Please dont comment on the Optra unless you driven one because once you drive it then only you will know what it is.

P.S My Two Cents.
Old 13th March 2006, 15:10   #18
BHPian

I think the word "Chevrolet" is a deterrant for Optra! Had it been Toyota or Honda (or even Hyundai), it would have probably sold in larger numbers.
Chevrolet = USA = low FE = less longevity = less VFM
Old 13th March 2006, 17:16   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How times change !! looking at the headline in your topic and just have a look at the scenario regarding the Optra now. Its being recommended left , right and centre - and its sold in huge numbers.
NC, One of the major reasons behind people (including myself) recommending the Optra is the 7 odd lac pricing of the 1.6. I still wouldnt recommend the 1.8 to anyone.

Dare I say, the Optra is the modern day Lancer. Looks, comfort and charm with adequate power.

GTO
Old 14th March 2006, 11:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Optra was much better with Daewoo than with GM.
Look what they have done to a wonderful looking car - changed the front grill which gave a unique elegant personality to this car...
And now in the Sports version they are changing the headlamps too...

GM is sick...
Ofcourse, if Optra was with Daewoo it would have died anyway like Matiz :(
Old 14th March 2006, 13:33   #21
BANNED

I kind of agree with GTO, the Optra is now what the Lancer was about 5 years ago. I guess I can say this since I've just upgraded from Lancer 1.5 to Optra 1.6.

It may not have the best signal to signal performance, but the car has some damn good torque, and its high-speed composure and handling is pretty good. The car feels heavy initially, but once you get going, it's very solid and planted, which is how you would like to feel when you put the pedal to the metal. Definitely not a boyracer, but on the highway, it will put many boyracers in their place - behind. My only grouse is with the gearshift, which definitely leaves room for improvement.

Interiors are great. And the noise reduction is brilliant, especially when you're stuck in road-rage type traffic.

FE is not the best, but seriously, I have no problems spending a bit more for the good things in life. I'm not the type who is dying behind average, or I would have chosen a Honda City and forced myself to believe it's a good looking car. I'm sure most Optra owners would agree.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car. I can't think of anything else in the segment I would have preferred. Skoda RS shouldn't be compared here because it costs almost twice as much. Also, the new Vtec isn't all that great, it's just a pretender to what the OHC Vtec was. And I don't trust its high speed handling, it felt dodgy when I took it for a test drive.

Cheers.
Old 14th March 2006, 17:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I kind of agree with GTO, the Optra is now what the Lancer was about 5 years ago. I guess I can say this since I've just upgraded from Lancer 1.5 to Optra 1.6.

It may not have the best signal to signal performance, but the car has some damn good torque, and its high-speed composure and handling is pretty good. The car feels heavy initially, but once you get going, it's very solid and planted, which is how you would like to feel when you put the pedal to the metal. Definitely not a boyracer, but on the highway, it will put many boyracers in their place - behind. My only grouse is with the gearshift, which definitely leaves room for improvement.

Interiors are great. And the noise reduction is brilliant, especially when you're stuck in road-rage type traffic.

FE is not the best, but seriously, I have no problems spending a bit more for the good things in life. I'm not the type who is dying behind average, or I would have chosen a Honda City and forced myself to believe it's a good looking car. I'm sure most Optra owners would agree.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car. I can't think of anything else in the segment I would have preferred. Skoda RS shouldn't be compared here because it costs almost twice as much. Also, the new Vtec isn't all that great, it's just a pretender to what the OHC Vtec was. And I don't trust its high speed handling, it felt dodgy when I took it for a test drive.

Cheers.
well said..
i must say the looks of the car is stunning. surely looks 5-7laks more than it is actually

even the interiors are excellent. the back seat space is comparable to the higher end mercs
Old 15th March 2006, 21:55   #23
BHPian

have had an optra 1.8 LS for almost a year...10000K ..no problems... it is not a free revving fun car to drive(for that there is the ikon 1.6 nxt sxi) ... got loads of torque ... will do 0-100 in 11 smn secs if you so please ... but it feels very reluctant to do so ... and thats not what we bought the car for in the first place ... the car is mostly chauffer driven ... lots of space ... good interiors and very very comfortable ... cost about 9 odd lac when we bought it , so as said on this thread ... very good value for money ... a family car ... not for the enthusiast

Last edited by Fiero : 15th March 2006 at 21:57.
Old 16th March 2006, 19:17   #24
BHPian

my uncle has optra 1.6 old edition. its has very less mileage and they are force to sell it.. and they are going in for honda city
Old 16th March 2006, 23:49   #25
BHPian

well ankit could you specify how much with that old edition ?? ... people usually report 10-12 kmpl with the VGIS ...

honda city is the exeptional case in terms of milage in the indian market at the moment ... but then again it doesn't quite have that punch.

Last edited by Fiero : 16th March 2006 at 23:51.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
FE is not the best, but seriously, I have no problems spending a bit more for the good things in life. I'm not the type who is dying behind average, or I would have chosen a Honda City and forced myself to believe it's a good looking car.

you said it shiva....

Last edited by Fiero : 16th March 2006 at 23:56.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:24   #27
BHPian

it gave a mileage of around 6-7 kmpl. he bought it from autovikas.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:25   #28
Team-BHP Support

If the same driver drives a Honda city he will get about 8-9kmpl max
Old 17th March 2006, 11:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
i would agree ... unless there is something seriously wrong with the car ... its the driving style.

even my optra 1.8 gives 8kpl w/ AC in the city , that said keeping in mind a not so heavy right foot.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:35   #30
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Right!, I back that view. If the same driver drives a WagonR, will not get more than 10km/l. No sense selling the car, if the driver is not 'fuel efficient'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks