Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 12:21   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2022 Nissan X-Trail spied in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Localized was keyword made me think possibly they could go for that segment of Safari Alcazar 700 Hector Plus.
XUV700 & Safari are as localised as they come, and these cars cost 25 - 30 lakhs. A Thar today costs almost 20 lakhs. Keeping Nissan India's precarious position & the low volumes of the premium SUV segment, I don't expect Nissan to invest in heavy localisation for the X-Trail at all. It'll be a CKD with high import content, if at all it comes to India.

Should it come? I think so. The investments are little for CKDs and there are fat profits to be made in the 35-40 lakh segment. Competition is also less fierce than in the segments right below.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't expect Nissan to invest in heavy localisation for the X-Trail at all.
This is getting interesting. How about some twists in existing localized products.

A MAGNITE NISMO with 1.3 liter turbo petrol detuned to 120 horses and 210 NM.
Sporty yellow callipers
Based on top end Magnite
NISMO signature exterior styling
CVT and Manual

PROPER TRUE HOT CROSS.

Only Mahindra has once again reignited the Hot Sports cars with the launch of the XUV300 TURBO SPORT.

Don't know if Nissan would do a Nismo on Magnite but if they do then it will take them to another league altogether.

https://www.rushlane.com/nissan-magn...-12392111.html

Better than the sticker jobs and new sub brand name we are made to feel content about by Koreans.

MOD NOTE : Please do not type casually in SMS language. You are also requested to make proper use of punctuation marks (full stops, commas, question marks) as required.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th October 2022 at 08:38. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
sagsaw is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th October 2022, 12:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The investments are little for CKDs ...

Competition is also less fierce than in the segments right below.
Totally spot on and agree, this is the time for some bold CKDs.

However, as someone scouting for a premium SUV/crossover as a second car, my worry points are being left in the lurch 5 years down the line if the vehicle flops, and/or at the mercy of inexperienced techs and inadequate spares especially body panels and glass items. .

Frankly, salaried non-lease personal car buyers have much more of an investment to lose! I won't even venture down the Nissan exit route.

Albeit, I hope Renault have learnt from the Hover Automotive fiasco + the Koleos flop, and will both price and maintain the Arkana or X-Trail better

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th October 2022 at 12:42.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Question, The X-Trail vehicle launch would be a year from now or much sooner than that?
Old 17th October 2022, 13:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
The Hybrid version is a more extreme interpretation of a series hybrid powertrain than the one in Hondas. While a clutch engages between the engine and the drive train within a speed envelope that is efficient in case of Honda's PTs, Nissan's IC engine has no mechanical connection to the wheels whatsoever.

Here is a nice review by Car Expert:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=i9ey...nnel=CarExpert

3 zone climate control, full digital dashboard with proper map display, 7 seats, panaromic sunroof, a hybrid dual motor AWD system and a powered tailgate along with spacious interiors. Forget the Safari and XUV, this is going to straight up murder the Compass, Tucson and citroen C5 if priced right.
Cresterk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
This X-trail, no matter what spec it is in, is the need of the hour for us here.
Sort of agree on this view. A few of us were on market to buy a decent size SUV with simple requirements as comfort, huge-bootspace, decent engine which can cater to daily drive in Bengaluru (read off-roading) and occasional outstation drives. And the choices come down to C5 (hugely overpriced and adjust seats like 1980s), Tucson (possibly the best choice) and Kodiaq (with no bookings open). As long as Nissan Spec it like Tucson and price it in similar range, there will be takers.
RakishRam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
3 zone climate control, full digital dashboard with proper map display, 7 seats, panaromic sunroof, a hybrid dual motor AWD system and a powered tailgate along with spacious interiors. Forget the Safari and XUV, this is going to straight up murder the Compass, Tucson and citroen C5 if priced right.
Agreed - looks very promising - has the potential to be a worthy competitor in the premium 7-seater market (read : Fortuner, Gloster, Alturas, Meridian, Kodiaq)

Nissan did an awesome job IMHO with the Magnite - well designed, spacious, 4-star NCAP and priced it well too.

I hope they don't get too greedy and price the X-trail well. A very under-rated launch, if it does happen tomorrow
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 19:42   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
The Nissan XTrail comes with ePower Hybrid

The 1.5 turbo petrol powers the generator which charges the battery which drives two motors one for the front and one for the rear wheels

So its a self charging EV you could say

The engine never drives the wheels.

Thats how the Nissan Hybrid is different from the other Hybrids like Toyota.
The idea is good & has been around for a while (large diesel-electric locomotives have been using it for decades). The major advantage being the constant (also optimum) engine rpm driving the alternator, before it feeds into the invertor. This would certainly add to engine longevity apart from the high efficiency.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 05:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Qashqai and not Nissan X-Trail coming to India?
This is speculative, and the hypothesis might fall flat though. We'll soon know.

Mates, I just posted my reasons for thinking so on the Choosing thread and details can be found there, along with pictures and specs etc.
Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5423266 (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N)

Writing here, as the topic also belongs here, and for the convenience of readers. Very brief reasons why it is more likely the Qushqai (vs X-Trail)
  • Front Light design.
  • Body shape and creases around the fuel lid.
  • (Especially front part of) crease at the lower part of the doors.
  • Angle of lower part of the boot, when seen in side-profile.
  • An X-Trail might not be able to sell well against the Hyundai Tucson (as a CKD), whereas the Qushqai with an approx. Rs 18.3 lakh equivalent starting drive-away pricing in Australia, has a chance in the 20 lakh++ space as a quality 5 seater with decent cabin space (Wheelbase: 2,665 mm). Compass would be a competitor.
Aussie spec Qushqai has 147.5 BHP, and claimed to do 0 - 100 km/h in 8.9 seconds!

More in the link above. Pictures there also talk a bit.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th October 2022 at 05:15. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 07:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The Qashqai theory could be interesting indeed. It would be more in line with the value play Nissan has established with the Magnite - bring a product at a surprisingly low cost for the segment in which it competes and try to get more volumes. But to paly this card, they need a car in the Creta/Seltos segment, where the volumes are, and not the Tucson/Tiguan segment, which sees much lower volumes.

The Qashqai is more expensive than even the Tucson in international markets. In the UK, the Tucson ranges from 30-33K pounds while the Qashqai ranges from 30-40K pounds translating to 30-35 lakhs. It is difficult to wade into the mid SUV segment dominated by Creta and Seltos at those price points, even with a CKD strategy. Fundamentally the Tucson and Qashqai are global products with high standards of build and materials which cannot be diluted.

The e-power model comes with a sophisticated variable compression ration turbocharged engine which is probably much more expensive to build than the simple NA engine used in the Hyryder hybrid. So, for Nissan, it may be better to position the brand new X-trail in the aspirational 40-45 lakhs segment, if Nissan is not looking at volumes but to shore up the technology and aspirational quotient of the brand.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 18th October 2022 at 08:14.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Nissan doesn't stand to gain much by being so cautious. If they really want wind in their sails and jump into the BEV /HEV race, bring not 1 but 2-3 cars and make them available at the same time. Bring the Leaf, x-trail, qashqai - bring them all across multiple price points.
For a company that people think is going to fold up soon, bringing just 1 car gives a perception of lack of intent. People will continue to think that if this fails, Nissan will shut shop. Bringing multiple cars might help counter this perception and invigorate the dealership staff as well, sales might be decent as well. Anyway the electric vehicles being launched are upwards of 20-25lakhs except for Tata, so Nissan won't be called overpriced if they price it with sensible premium (I hope).
Am no strategist but let's see if Nissan brings in a few of them and not just one.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:51   #27
BHPian

Always nice to see global products coming to our shores but the launch event by Nissan better be good and the marketing of course else it'll slowly get overshadowed by the Innova Hycross launch and become a pink flamingo. Nissan could do with showroom infrastructure revamp like VW 2.0.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:02   #28
BHPian

X-Trail may bring in 20-30 units a month nation wide. Is that really worth the effort of launch and then stock the spares, train staff to service?

They should stick to developing products like the Magnite which are relevant in the market.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:44   #29
BHPian

What if Isuzu leaves India suddenly tomorrow? As an MU-X owner, its always at the back of my mind. More so after Ford swiftly left the country leaving endeavour owners high and dry. As a product, the MU-X delivers everything I expect from it but the dealer (or lack of choices) leaves me concerned. I sometimes think if I should have just stuck to the Fortuner, although I hate its ride quality and lack of headroom in the second row.

Given this experience, I will not buy a product from companies like Honda or Nissan, who do not make any effort to attract the Indian customers. However good products like CR-V or X-Trail may be, if there is no proper support from the manufacturer or the dealer, then its our hard-earned money down the drain!
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
X-Trail may bring in 20-30 units a month nation wide. Is that really worth the effort of launch and then stock the spares, train staff to service?

They should stick to developing products like the Magnite which are relevant in the market.
Until the brands survival is guaranteed, not many would opt for their high end products. Except may be for the enthusiasts and knowledgeable. The fear of them exiting would always be on the back of mind, specially after Ford's exit. It seems that even Magnites demand has settled down to a figure of approx 3k cars per month (Plus the exports of course !). They need a Creta rival in 10-20 lakh bracket for survival. As kicks not working, better to have a replacement.

I would consider a X Trail or Qashqai as a Bonus !. Yes, always better if we get them !. But even a 500 units per month alone of these models would not guarantee Nissan's survival in India.

Last edited by d-g-p : 18th October 2022 at 09:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks