Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 08:55   #16
BHPian

re: Understanding the market's response to the 2022 Hyundai Tucson in India

I am still understanding what is the "success" we are discussing here - It's been on sale for a month and has sold 487 Units ?

- Sales stands at 20% off the segment's top seller
- ~40 % lower sales than the Compass

Can someone explain here ?
Sk8r is online now   (41) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:20   #17
BHPian

Selling only around 500 cars in the second month can not be termed as a success in my point of view. I agree that its a 40L car and the numbers will be less. But, take Fortunner for that matter. A 50L car selling almost 2000 units per month. This is what success is. Also XUV 700, although a 30L car(for the top model), sells almost 6000 units every month.
Tucson is nowhere near achieving such huge success. But, the definition of success is very much relative. As per Hyundai's point of view they have more demand that what they can build for at least a year. So, for them its a great success.
axe_deo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:56   #18
BHPian

My guess is, shortage of cars and it will peter off in a few quarters. It is a good car but doubt if it will see long term sustained sales. Hope they do well though.
neerajku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:09   #19
BHPian

Context is everything. Comparing sales numbers of a newly launched product to the sales numbers of the outgoing model at the tail end of its life is not fair.

How about a different way of comparing? Lets pit the sales numbers of this new (4th gen) Tucson against the older (3rd gen) Tucson when it was first launched in 2016, say for the first 3 months of sales?

2016 Tucson:
Name:  2016_Tucson_Sales.png
Views: 1301
Size:  12.5 KB
Source: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

2022 Tucson:
Name:  2022_Tucson_Sales.png
Views: 1327
Size:  16.6 KB
Source: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (September 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

It looks almost the same .

While in 2022 the chip-shortage is suppressing the production numbers somewhat, I don't think we would have seen any "orders of magnitude" difference without the chip shortage.

Calling this Tucson a "success" after just 3 months is counting chickens before they hatch. Lets see how much they sell a year from now and then call it a success or failure.
lordrayden is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:10   #20
BHPian

It is too early to state if it indeed is successful. However, I can attribute the current sales to Good Looks (including the Bling part - LEDs are the new Chrome these days), Size (again looks), and Diesel Engine with AT GB.

Too bad Honda CR-V failed for being too early in the market and not having good (bulky) looks. It was not a bad car, barring the price.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:16   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The competition also has glaring deal-breaker points which make it easier for the Tucson. Tiguan (stiff ride, no diesel, boring looks, age), Kodiaq (waiting periods, no diesel, Skoda ownership nonsense, overpricing), Fortuner (too big for many people, bumpy ride, like a truck to drive), C5 Aircross (Citroen who?), Meridian (overpriced, longer Compass), Gloster (too blingy, too big, drives poorly in the city).

That's right. This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone 5 years ago.
We noticed that the best cars (and often the bestselling cars) usually don't excel at multiple things. In fact, often they don't excel at anything. They either have 1 or no strong points. They just don't have any notable dealbreakers. Current e.g. Nios. They're just very balanced and you can rest assured that most buyers won't regret buying them.
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:19   #22
BHPian

We booked the car the day it was announced and have driven it about 5000kms so far. Other cars I own are Toyota Fortuner, Etios and Creta. In extended friends and family no car in the 50 Lakh range, doesn't even come close to it.
  • Safety: 5 Star NCAP. Host of safety features.
  • Comfort: especially the rear seat. You have to sit to know it.
  • Engine + Gearbox combo: Supremely refined, and 184 BHPs pulls really really well, it is a genuine fun-to-drive crossover.
  • Quality of materials: Everything you touch has a really nice texture and softness to it. hide the Hyundai batch and you will consider it for the segment above.
  • Fit and finish: Everything is put very very well together. When you close the door the curves in the corner of the dashboard and doors come so nicely together.
  • Creature comfort: Everything you want or need. Heated/Ventilated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, self-operating boot. a couple of really cool features as well.
  • Sound System: Good bose system. Not an Audiophile level, but decent.
  • Practicality: Very easy to live car, highly practical as a daily driver as well as to do long journeys in comfort. The gearbox + engine combo is legit.
  • ADAS: well this may be a bug in Indian conditions as we came to realize.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2022 at 13:57. Reason: link fixed
abtyagi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:51   #23
One
BHPian

Not sure if Tucson is flying/ will fly off the shelves. But to quote myself from an earlier post where competition was discussed

Quote:
Diesel Tucson is the closest to a perfect car currently amongst all these choices". In terms of value for money, in the 30-50 lakh range it is probably next only to XUV7OO (I don't stay in NCR so I don't know if I would have a different opinion if I did
It is not a Jack of all trades, it is a master of many aspects. Its engine-gearbox combo is the best across cars upto that price point and more. Space, maintenance included for 3 years, price point - these are all in place.

Even the much maligned Petrol has its strengths. It is totally sufficient for a place like Bombay where average speeds are in the range of 10-25 kms per hour. In fact, will go further and say, that in such city driving conditions, the NA petrol is atleast at par if not better in terms of driving feedback than a confused Meridian/ Citroen/ Kodiaq/ Tiguan at lower gears.

It has very few chinks - "Hyundai" brand might be considered downmarket, the back seat window line is very high and being a relatively new car including the previous generation, not much information about long term maintenance is available.

If there was a concept of a driving test with all badges removed, even a beginner driver will not fall to miss the driveability of a diesel Tucson, it's that good. If there is a car lover who buys not for prestige or badge but for pure car basis, this will be the one in its price point and up. It might be a Jack-of-all-trades but it is also a Master-of-many.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2022 at 13:57. Reason: link fixed
One is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:23   #24
BHPian

If it was priced sensibly in the vicinity of Compass, I would have considered it. The pre-facelift version was competing with Compass and Harrier, but with the facelift, it has moved up a segment to Tiguan/Kodiaq/Gloster territory. Even though in that segment it's the most VFM offering, I would be reluctant to spend 40L on a Hyundai badge.
Old 9th November 2022, 12:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Sitting in a far off land, am I safe to say, this time the Tucson is flying off the shelves.
I rarely see Tucson on Bengaluru roads, and to be honest, I haven't seen one in many months. I don't know the source of your analysis, and it's certainly 'not' flying off the shelf.

I'm in the market for an SUV (with 40L budget), and recently enquired with Advaith Hyundai though i'm no way near buying Tucson. It's readily available in all colors with a delivery date of less than a week!!!

In India, there is absolute no competition (and I know it's not healthy) for Toyota Fortuner in the 30-40 Lakhs budget. Heck, Fortuner now retails with Onroad price between 36 Lakhs to 61 Lakhs
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 13:04   #26
BHPian

I think there are a few factors at play here.

1. In that price bracket, it is selling better not sure if we can call it as selling like a hot cake.
2. WRT increasing price, understand that 50% of the ex-showroom price is taxes to Govt and a lot of modern cars are software driven which is quite expensive
3. This is a LWB version - cannot be compared to Harriers or Compass. Its a long car. definitely worth positioning above the usual category. It has tons of space.
4. Of the entire lot, Fortuner is the only hot selling model - thanks to the politicians and also the assurance that it can give you 50-60% of its price in the resale market. The road presence is a different level and reliable car can take anything. Endy used to be another one but unfortunately lost it.
Bsreecharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 13:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

What success? It's a brand new generation and it's barely selling any more than the previous generation it replaced. People were excited for the car but it was pretty overpriced on launch. I remember everyone saying it made the Jeep look VFM. It's a very competent car but I think Hyundai would have been better off using this drivetrain in the lethargic diesel Alcazar instead so they have a competitive 7 seater or atleast pricing it with a slight prem around the top end scorpio-N/xuv700 range.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 14:01   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread title has been renamed based on feedback. Thanks.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 14:07   #29
BHPian

The challenge is over 98% of the car buying population are not knowledgeable about cars and the remaining 2% read Team BHP. They just have the money to buy "Badi Gaadi". XUV is a classic example of more car for the money so. There is nothing premium in it even the shape is "all geometry". Tata's designs have come to age well. Jeep...join their whatsapp groups and you will know. MG...not sure.
Bsreecharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 15:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good response? Yet to spot a Tucson in my city (Tier 2 city). I normally spot many newly launched vehicles within few days/weeks here.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks