Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda lost a repeat customer who owned a Fabia for 12 years | Problematic Slavia purchase, refun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Thanks for confirming. Members and readers of this forum - please beware of the Blue Slavia currently listed on Olx in Pune with BH registration. It is the same car being discussed here.
So, the dealer is now trying to sell it off through a 3rd party used car agent.
Please be aware - for what?

This is not a accident car and just a panel has been re-painted. If the dealer gives discount I will happily purchase the car without a second thought.

If the dealer is selling a car, so be it, what is so illegal or unethical to "beware of" unless of course its a melon, which I don't think so.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:54   #47
BHPian

Re: Skoda lost a repeat customer who owned a Fabia for 12 years | Problematic Slavia purchase, refun

Great catch and it totally underscores how vulnerable we consumers are to this kind of wheeling and dealing by dealers and their over smart sales staff. What is even more galling is that the dealership refused to accept their mistake even when confronted with proof. I can only imagine, how many gullible consumers are being taken for a ride on a daily basis by unscrupulous dealers all across the country.

Sadly enough, Skoda India also seemed very loath to take up the matter head on and perhaps it was only very severe escalation from your end, that could get them to intervene.

This incident reminded me of my Duster purchase story in 2017, when I happened to notice similar repaint, uneven panels and a ridiculous ODO reading during the PDI. Of course, the Dealer tried to play smart and stated that 1000 kms on an ODO are par for course on SUV's (They were aware this was my first SUV), since these vehicles are transported by road for longer distances. Luckily, the right escalations, threats and cajoling led to the dealer offering me a new car, with alloys and rear camera thrown in to make me stop escalating this matter.
premjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Sir. the car is having only a panel painted, not in any serious accident or not reported to have serious mechanical issues. What is the dealer supposed to do with the car in your learned opinion? If you try to buy a used car after testing with a paint meter, you wont be able to buy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If the dealer sells it at a reasonable price, I would say its a great deal. What anyway should the dealer do with the car? The car is already registered; so there is no way it can be sold anywhere except the second hand market- And I don't see why he shouldn't.
Agree that there is no other option for the dealer than to sell it as a used car. Just want the readers here to make an informed decision while going for this particular car.

I don't think the used car agent, through which the dealer is trying to sell it, will mention about the repaint job done.

BTW, it is not a great deal as it is listed at a higher price as clarified by OP.

Last edited by Knightrider : 22nd November 2022 at 17:08.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Sir. the car is having only a panel painted, not in any serious accident or not reported to have serious mechanical issues. What is the dealer supposed to do with the car in your learned opinion? If you try to buy a used car after testing with a paint meter, you wont be able to buy one.
I have to disagree with your conclusion. The dealer had every opportunity to come clean, but they decided to take the OP out for a run. When they were forced to come clean due to various amounts of pressure that was put on them, they gave BS reasons regarding the cause of repainting. Do you in all honesty believe that a bird shit caused the repainting of entire rear quarter panel? Me not. When the sacred trust between the dealer and the buyer has vanished, how do you believe in anything that the dealer says? Since for me a car is something where not only me, but my family travels with me i will assume the worst and think it was a structural defect that they were trying to cover up. So i don't find anything wrong in rejecting the car and making them pay for taking the OP out for a run.
vivekkp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If the dealer sells it at a reasonable price, I would say its a great deal. What anyway should the dealer do with the car? The car is already registered; so there is no way it can be sold anywhere except the second hand market- And I don't see why he shouldn't.
From the olx site they are basically selling at more or less the same price 20.5L (what was refunded)
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:15   #51

Oh my god!
That must have been painful. I hope you have another car now apart from fabia, I mean a new one.
But I must praise the level of patience and follow ups that you have done and got your options figured out.
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:18   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Agree that there is no other option for the dealer than to sell it as a used car. Just want the readers here to make an informed decision while going for this particular car.

I don't think the used car agent, through which the dealer is trying to sell it, will mention about the repaint job done.

BTW, it is not a great deal as it is listed at a higher price as clarified by OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
From the olx site they are basically selling at more or less the same price 20.5L (what was refunded)
I see, however, pricing is a different issue and is negotiable in used car market. And the dealer can price the car anyway he likes but in the market, nobody is so naive to pay more than the new car's price for a used car.

So, pricing should not be an argument here.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd November 2022 at 17:25. Reason: Adding one more quote & rephrasing
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:23   #53
MCR
BHPian

Good that the OP got a full refund. As the dealer took the car back he is entitled to sell it as well. And after all its just a repainted panel and not a malfunctioning car or a lemon.
I agree that it was wrong on part of the dealer that he did not disclose the same. However, continuously targeting an organization even after a resolution is not very prudent IMHO.

OT : Wow. Government works on such cases and puts pressure on Organizations who invest in India and on a Private Entruepruener! No wonder babudom is so revered in this country. While I am thrilled as an individual for the OP, that he got full refund + mental agony charges, I am not sure the same would have happened for a common man going to court! Remember Harishv's case against Skoda and how long it took for resolution?
I don't know when we will get out of this "lal batti aka VIP" culture as a country. Sigh!
MCR is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:25   #54
BHPian

Had it been the dealer who started this same thread from his viewpoint, it would have been something like this - Using Government influences, a customer takes the car dealer for a ride by driving a brand new car for 2000KMs and then demanding full refund and 1.5L compensation for a failed bird shit cleaning
sreerknair is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:44   #55
BHPian

Oh what an ordeal. In our country consumers are at the receiving end as we don't have a proper consumer protection law. Good that full refund was given.
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I had to read the original post multiple times to believe what I am reading is, right? What was the 150,000 compensation for? Can someone explain? Is this based on the order of a competent authority like a court?
My thoughts exactly. Never ever heard of a dealer paying compensation like this. That too without court order. It can mean either of the following things:
  1. The reason for repainting was much more severe and the dealer didn't want to be further exposed.
  2. The pressure was immense. Ahem
If I was the dealer, I would have negotiated back, saying the matter stands settled after paying compensation and the former owner should not divulge the details in any public forum.
Malyaj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:12   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Had it been the dealer who started this same thread from his viewpoint, it would have been something like this - Using Government influences, a customer takes the car dealer for a ride by driving a brand new car for 2000KMs and then demanding full refund and 1.5L compensation for a failed bird shit cleaning
Absolutely!

No offense to OP, but this is just misuse of authority by the "people at highest levels in the Government". Use the power and time for the well being & welfare of the common man.

In my opinion, the issue was minor. It's just a quarter panel repaint. Well you don't have to accept the car. Hold your ground and don't take the delivery. And then ask for a replacement or refund.

Getting the car delivered, using it for some time, and then demanding a full refund + 1.5 lakhs compensation definitely seems unfair to me.

A full refund must have been the end. It's not that the car was a lemon.

If automobile companies and dealerships twisting arms of common man is unacceptable, it is also unacceptable the other way around.

And finding fault with the dealer for trying to resell it in the used market! Seriously!??

He runs a business and yes he will want to reduce his losses to the max. We don't buy cars at the listed price in the used market, do we?

I don't condone the behaviour of the Skoda dealership as much as I don't condone using personal influence to force others to do what we wish.

Peace

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd November 2022 at 19:14.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:38   #58
BHPian

The biggest lesson I learn from this thread is not to use my connections (if I have any) for mundane things in life.
Theyota is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:59   #59
BHPian

I was feeling uncomfortable after reading about "GOI" getting involved but then I was trying to make my peace with it after reading so many comments about how dealer got what he deserved & job well done kind of comments.

Personally, this is borderline misuse of connections/post/authority. Forget getting the additional compensation, getting the entire amount back is impossible for mango man like us. Here dealer paid a compensation over & above the cost price & still is getting defamed.
Engine_Roars is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:10   #60
BHPian

I see both sides of the coin posted in the replies.

My personal take, if the dealer had come clean, things might have been different. The whole thing failed when they tried to bury it under the carpet. So, I as a customer, am not sure if it was a scratch or dent or something more serious that was addressed. The trust is lost.

With this, I would not be comfortable taking a new car and I feel it was right to penalize the dealer.

The way the dealer and Skoda India handled it is appalling and pathetic. Skoda never ceases to amaze me. We have had many such instances with our cars.
TheCarLover is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks