Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 13:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop! New base variant of the Mahindra Thar in the works, with 1.5L engine

I really do not understand the timing of this. On one hand they are struggling with Thar deliveries, then there is 5 door Thar planned, launch of XUV700 and Scorpio, then XUV500 and XUV900 and now Thar lite while the supply chains are constraint and chip shortages are not expected to be solved before end 2022. How are they going to make so many cars to sell.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAtlas View Post
If Mahindra introduces this, they will cannibalize a lot of TUV300/ XUV300 sales. If that car starts from 9L ex-showroom, the price matches both of these. Even if it costs 10L, a good portion of buyers will be ready to extend their budgets.
Mahindra loves cannibalization, as they seem to find bulk orders for every model that doesn't sell well. The Quanto and the Nuvosport seem to be the only exceptions. Even the KUV100 were sold in bulk in Taxi deals. These are sales that would go to the used car market, or another manufacturer, if this weren't an option.

Toyota lost a lot of the low end UV market to Mahindra and Tata when they abandoned the Qualis buyers and stopped it in favour of the Innova. It's worth noting that the Tavera/Bolero sales only took off once the Qualis was out of production, and the Bolero DI was launched at a cheaper price. Likewise, they did the same thing when they switched to the Crysta. Majority of these potential sales went to the used car markets or to Maruti, Tata or Mahindra.

Quote:
However, I believe this market stunt will also cheapen the Thar brand. Instead of depicting only hardcore off-roaders, THAR will now also refer to pseudo SUVs with beefed-up wheel arches unable to deliver much action on the bad roads.
This was the case before also, as you recall. Thar was also available in the barebones DI variant which was basically the MM550 with Bolero engine and bits. Thar DI was almost exclusively a Taxi variant. For Mahindra, abandoning its 'Roti'Sabji' base is never an option, and it is something that should be appreciated. Right now, the cheapest Mahindra UV on offer is the Bolero, and it is too expensive IMO, for the market. THere's defintely room below the Bolero. Thar DI used to be available for about 6 lacs OTR.
vivekgk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Any idea about launch timelines? Is there any possibility of this car hitting the roads by early 2022? Also, would this one have AC?
No idea about timelines! If this does make it to the market, it did sound like it will have creature comforts since they were targeting urban women as well, if not as their primary target (not sure if that's the case). But the ~ 7 lac ex-showroom base trim price is too unreal if we're talking about an AC and a hardtop, if you come to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Smaller means less wide, or less tall as well?
Hope its the former, as the latter will reduce ride height by quite a bit.
In the conversation that I had, smaller diameter wheels were discussed; the lower torque on offer was hinted at. This smaller engine would not be able to move the same wheels that a 300 Nm engine can. So - both smaller diameter and lesser tyre width is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
I really do not understand the timing of this. On one hand they are struggling with Thar deliveries, then there is 5 door Thar planned, launch of XUV700 and Scorpio, then XUV500 and XUV900 and now Thar lite while the supply chains are constraint and chip shortages are not expected to be solved before end 2022. How are they going to make so many cars to sell.
Hey, it's an idea inside their R&D unit in Chengalpet. That's it. Will it make it to the market or not, time alone will tell. I mean, we know of so many R&D initiatives of theirs that have been "in the works" for more than a year now - a 5 door long wheelbase Thar, a XUV 300 station wagon, a 2.2 L engined Marazzo etc. And what about the Ford people who were given a separate space to study Mahindra's cars so that a new product can take shape? We all know what happened to their proposed JV. Anything can happen to these ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Thar was also available in the barebones DI variant which was basically the MM550 with Bolero engine and bits. Thar DI was almost exclusively a Taxi variant....Thar DI used to be available for about 6 lacs OTR.
I visited Chindaki/Silent Valley National Park (Palakkad district) in Feb 2020 and saw an ample number of bare-basic Thar DI taxis ferrying people into and out of isolated places with bad roads. I think as a Keralite, you have a perfectly valid jeep market in mind that not many people outside of Kerala or the Garhwal Himalayas may even be aware of!
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 14:01   #19
BHPian

With the smaller engine and smaller wheels, the Thar Lite should ideally also get a reworked body that is smaller than the current Thar. A Thar Lite with dimensions slightly bigger than the Jimny will steal Suzuki's thunder even before they start forming the cloud.

A smaller Thar with these specs is what I'm looking to drive daily. Hoping that Mahindra is able to make it compelling enough.
BrabarusMark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 14:03   #20
BHPian

Call it a base model or a 'cheaper' model, I feel this would definitely be welcome with Indian consumers. Would be interesting to see which segment of the market adopts this first. Hopefully, the car is yet liveable with the downgrades.

For me personally, I feel it would be really interesting if we could have a base version of the Thar replace the current aging fleet of Boleros and other Mahindra cars in the government fleet across departments in Mumbai. Not only would it be an eye-candy to see government versions of the car plying on our roads, I think the Thar would make a really pragmatic workhorse.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 14:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Before Thar became popular among enthusiast, it was good utility vehicle and popular choice among farmers. In Hill stations, areas which has lot of commercial farming, Thar DI was quite popular. We have one, and though its nowhere close to CRDe interms of power, utility wise DI is great. We haul upto a ton or more luggage and take it down the beaten path. Its neither reliable nor comfortable and reason why it doesnot see more than 20-30KM trip anytime.

With Thar 2.0 there is a void, while the AX with side seats(no longer available) did to some extent, it was still much more expensive than DI. A torquey, less powerful bare bones Thar will be perfect replacement for existing Thar DI owners.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 15:26   #22
BHPian

I think with development of this product Mahindra might be aiming to cover the rural market which was earlier dominated by Thar DI. Secondly, with the speculation of Jimny coming to India a Thar lite version could be an ideal competitor.

In the urban areas there’s a perception that “If you want to buy a car buy the top end only even if that means you buy a smaller car instead of that big car You dreamt of”. So I really doubt a lite barebones version will be able to generate the required volume. Certainly for the ambitious lot who can’t afford the regular Thar some buyers will come down.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 18:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar does not matter - DI matters. There is a need for a DI Jeep of some kind, lots of low speed pulling power and appropriate gearing to take on the Ghat roads while being overloaded, do this on repeat mode for years together.

Right now the only option is a yellow board camper 4x4, it is appropriate for its purpose but its not a DI Jeep in their eyes.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Thar lite version will be a fabulous buy over hatchbacks like the i20 or Baleno. Price it under INR 9 lakh ex showroom and Mahindra have a winner. I’d say they should ditch the manual from the initial launch.

OT: Didn’t know Mahindra had 2 different 1.5 L engines. I assumed that the same 1.5 engine was adapted for different configurations and used in the TUV, XUV300, and Marazzo.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th May 2021 at 21:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 21:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Let us not ignore the production capacity constraints of M&M. The current Thar still has a backlog of close to 12 months. I am sure if the lite version is launched there will be another tsunami of bookings. Unless they make some radical changes in the production front, I don’t see how they will cater to the Thar ‘lite’ demand.

Last edited by Pancham : 18th May 2021 at 21:01.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is Mahindra covering the Suzuki Jimny even before it launches. Suzuki will undercut the existing Thar by a margin and Mahindra knows it'll lose a bunch of customers who don't want the 4wd model.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have been driven around in 1.5 Liter 90 BHP TUV 300. It's a decent performer. I guess Thar's 1.5 Liter 100 BHP variant will be lighter courtesy 2 lesser seats & no/ soft top.

Thar's 2.2 liter Diesel is a different beast IMO with pretty good 0-100 numbers, bit of overkill for 3-door Thar in most situations & one can enjoy it to potential on few occasions only. For those whom this can be daily runner 1.5 Liter is good buy.
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 00:42   #28
BHPian

All makes sense except not having 4x4.

I really hope sense prevails and they offer the 4x4 option which the Jimny will offer. The whole value proposition is Thar's go anywhere ability and doesn't get fulfilled without a 4x4
Old 19th May 2021, 10:04   #29
BHPian

Am I the only one feeling low hearing about the news? What about the exclusivity of the product?

Rate difference, such huge, with a product which would look similar from the outside, will definitely demotivate many.

Being enthusiast is one thing and living in Delhi NCR is also a thing.

My plans for acquiring the Diesel 4X4 Manual LX, might get a jot.

Last edited by Drive Head : 19th May 2021 at 10:07.
Drive Head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
All makes sense except not having 4x4.

I really hope sense prevails and they offer the 4x4 option which the Jimny will offer. The whole value proposition is Thar's go anywhere ability and doesn't get fulfilled without a 4x4
Arming the "lite" with a low range transfer case, while might bring the proposed version in the same league as the Jimny, it will also lead to the price heading north of 9 lacs (or even 10 lacs).

Moreover, if the "lite" ought to be pitted against the i20, Baleno segment, then the keeping the price well below 10 lacs will be more important than the need to provide a 4x4 transfer case.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks